Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The two times I played Vampire: The Masquerade, the group was mostly female. That may have been the problem. Obese attention whores trying to out-evil each other are not as funny as you would think.

Now that I think about it I had a girlfriend that was into world of darkness, and like 3 or 4 members of her group were girls. Women and vampires :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I was thinking of getting a giant eagle for my home but I hadn't heard that statistic you used until today and I should probably rethink my home-protection plans.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/christmas-elf-dnd.php

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That first edition elf is really awesome. He gives no gently caress.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Steve posted:

Elves are like, that woman with the red hair that's basically a man, but at the same time she's sort of hot, but also scary.

I can say without hyperbole that is by far the best description of Tilda Swinton I've ever read.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
gently caress the 4e haters :colbert:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

neoboman posted:

I can say without hyperbole that is by far the best description of Tilda Swinton I've ever read.

For a moment I thought he was talking about the singer from La Roux.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I can't believe this hasn't been posted here yet.

WTF? Werewolf: the Apocalypse posted:

Steve: Even wolf men need to hire CPAs to do their taxes.

Zack: Vampire meltdown carpet cleaning: $200. Traveled through a mirror into alternate reality and lost my watch: $500. You can't write this stuff off business expenses, Walks On Butt.

Steve: To a werewolf all taxes are the theft of Gaia.
This is why werewolves should join the Tea Party. They already have a Mama Grizzly, and they will find common ground in smaller government and hating black(spiral dancer)s.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The Triumphant Return of RIFTS. Come join Zack and Steve on their magical journey through one of earth's most exotic and undocumented regions: Canada.

Sir Spandy
Feb 5, 2007
Solid Gold
If you ever run out of DnD books to make fun of then please do an update made up entirely of Steve telling Zack about his dreams and Zack's response to said dreams

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
A whole Rifts book dedicated to Calgary? Really. There isn't a big enough :canada: to express how I'm feeling at this moment.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Not just a Sasquatch OCC, but a Worldly Sasquatch OCC.

I must have this book.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
Nice one, I love when you do Rifts.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What the hell is a Glitter Boy?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Johnny Walker posted:

What the hell is a Glitter Boy?

I only owned Rifts for about 3 days, I had a really cool game store owner who gave me my money back when I showed him how stupid mega damage was, but I can still remember this one. It's a guy in shiny powered armor with a really big gun (so big that the armor automatically fires stakes into the ground from the feet before firing because of recoil). Aside from their name, they were actually not terrible at all, which was very rare in Rifts. In a game full of insanely overpowered characters, a shiny man with a really big gun was not that weird of a character concept.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Is it just me or does that robot horse have a spoiler on its rear end?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I only owned Rifts for about 3 days, I had a really cool game store owner who gave me my money back when I showed him how stupid mega damage was, but I can still remember this one. It's a guy in shiny powered armor with a really big gun (so big that the armor automatically fires stakes into the ground from the feet before firing because of recoil). Aside from their name, they were actually not terrible at all, which was very rare in Rifts. In a game full of insanely overpowered characters, a shiny man with a really big gun was not that weird of a character concept.

Glitter Boys were also laser-reflective, which is where they got their names.

I played briefly with some friends and I played a grackletooth, which is basically a giant hillbilly crocodile with a heart of gold, and yeah, MD was pretty doofy. With a team of a mystic and a cyber-knight, I was the only person capable of normally dealing and surviving mega-damage, which made things very hard to balance for our GM. It was either give me a challenging fight and let the others get reamed, or I rip up a tree and beat 15 guys to death with it in one or two swings.

It was fun as hell but it sure as hell wasn't made to be a numbers game, I don't think. It's more of a vehicle for doofy poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
No love for the Space: 1889 post? I'm a big fan of the game- it's a great setting even if some of the rules are a little clunky.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/space-steampunk-mars.php

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
Never even heard of this one.

I love when Steve goes, "Noooooooo!" My favorite is when Zack said ninjas are still cool and Steve's like whew and then Zack's like "For an idiot who loves poo poo," and Steve's like "Nooooooo!"

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Maxwell Lord posted:

No love for the Space: 1889 post? I'm a big fan of the game- it's a great setting even if some of the rules are a little clunky.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/space-steampunk-mars.php

Steampunk is poo poo and all but I suddenly got the urge to play as Sherlock Holmes: Steamship Star Detective.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also used to really like Space: 1889, although I liked the parts that were more straightforward homages to HG Wells and Edgar Rice Burroughs rather than the more typically steampunkish stuff rightfully parodied here. I do remember one campaign setting that was based on a space liner going from Earth to Mars and had Martian nobles involved that was pretty fun.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Man, not even Steve could stay enthused for this one.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Man, not even Steve could stay enthused for this one.

Yeah, this one was harder for the guys to carry, and it was harder for me to stay amused by. I'm pretty sure it's because steampunk isn't hilariously stupid, it's just stupid stupid.

I guess you could say this article...didn't have enough STEAM :haw: :pleasekillme:

e.; the story about the bat did make me laugh though so even a weak WTF DnD is still pretty drat good

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have no idea why people hate steampunk so much aside from perhaps the people who like steam punk.

The hate for it seems really put upon and forced.

I liked the the article, especially Steve's comeback "Sorry they can't all be WWII alternate history scenarios where goblins get elected Hitler. How's that for relevant? You know in case we have a Hitler problem or whatever with goblins."

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

I have no idea why people hate steampunk so much aside from perhaps the people who like steam punk.

The hate for it seems really put upon and forced.
Yeah there's nothing at all intrinsically stupid about steam powered spaceships in the 1800s.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Space 1899 wasn't really steampunk, it was an homage to the scientific romance genre and was written before steampunk was big. There's some similarities, but steampunk is modern authors writing cyberpunk-style books set in alternate Victorian times, while scientific romance was people in Victorian times speculating about going to other planets with the technology they had (and in the Space 1899 series the spaceship engines were electrical). See Edison's Conquest of Mars for an example that was obviously very influential to Space 1899.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

raezr posted:

Yeah there's nothing at all intrinsically stupid about steam powered spaceships in the 1800s.

...and dragons and rolling dice and playing in a basement all day are intrinsically smart? It's the same poo poo, who cares, why get angry about it?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Space 1899 wasn't really steampunk, it was an homage to the scientific romance genre and was written before steampunk was big. There's some similarities, but steampunk is modern authors writing cyberpunk-style books set in alternate Victorian times, while scientific romance was people in Victorian times speculating about going to other planets with the technology they had (and in the Space 1899 series the spaceship engines were electrical). See Edison's Conquest of Mars for an example that was obviously very influential to Space 1899.

Regardless of that the new release is definitely trying to ride the steampunk wave, which was the impetus for us doing the original.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
True, but assuming they don't change a lot it's more "Victorian space opera" than "Victorian cyberpunk".

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

I don't know what's wrong with you guys, steampunk is always funny. I'd like to see another update on this, maybe one that involves playing out a scenario. The party could consist of, say, an emotionless true atheist, a nonsexual flapper girl, a hard-living gambler, and a tough-as-nails photojournalist.

poor and weird posted:

I guess you could say this article...didn't have enough STEAM :haw: :pleasekillme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-tRErs5UcI

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

that awful man posted:

I don't know what's wrong with you guys, steampunk is always funny. I'd like to see another update on this, maybe one that involves playing out a scenario. The party could consist of, say, an emotionless true atheist, a nonsexual flapper girl, a hard-living gambler, and a tough-as-nails photojournalist.

I think there's a video game about that, I saw it at Gamestop once but didn't have the $1.99 they were charging.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

neoboman posted:

I think there's a video game about that, I saw it at Gamestop once but didn't have the $1.99 they were charging.

No you didn't.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DamnGlitch posted:

No you didn't.

Woah, drat you sure schooled that guy. Unless he was making a joke of course.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Maybe this isn't the right thread but, what exactly are we defining as steam punk? Because if you count steam technology and the questioning of social mores most of Joseph Conrad's novels are steampunk.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Piedmon Sama posted:

Maybe this isn't the right thread but, what exactly are we defining as steam punk? Because if you count steam technology and the questioning of social mores most of Joseph Conrad's novels are steampunk.
It's not really Steampunk without the longing for what should have been. Conrad was writing contemporary and perhaps science fiction for his time. He was looking forward, Steampunk is looking backward and sideways.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/kevin-siembieda-aspergers.php

Sure am sad I missed that discussion about whether steampunk was dumb and fun or dumb and annoying, but I think we can all agree that superheroes are inherently awesome & that security guard uniforms have never been so affordable! Buy now!

shock headed penor
Jan 29, 2007
energy drunk
Hey if that illustration is of a security guard, then why is he investigating a murder scene?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Dude, definitely do more Heroes Unlimited.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

SinetheGuy posted:

Dude, definitely do more Heroes Unlimited.

Bend Light is the best power.

No Real Pattern
Mar 17, 2006

Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
I think we are past due for a WTF, MtG.
Magic: The Gathering is a game a lot of DnD nerds dabbled with in Middle School, it's the first collectible card game ever, it;s filled with confusing and unnecessary rules, and in it's earlier sets had some really, uh, interesting art.

Observe:

The art did get better with time, but sometimes something questionable still makes it's way in. This card is from the newest set, which was released like a month ago (yes, this game does still exist!)

But bad art is not all it has to offer, check out this rockin' elf babe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
I'd make a joke about everyone knowing what Magic is, but I think you're luring me in to some kind of trap...

• Locked thread