Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

allonblack posted:

Speaking of downpipes, do you have any thoughts / recommendations? I have the perrin exhaust on my 2010 STI and have been thinking about going stage 2 but am getting hung up on the downpipe selection between catted, non-catted, bell mouth, divorced wastegate, etc...

Catted is obviously appealing because it's less expensive, but then I hear lots of differing opinions regarding additional exhaust volume, exhaust smell, etc... Is there any truth to any of this?

I was looking at this guy -
http://www.importimageracing.com/p/sudo-performance-WRX-STI-Downpipe-Divorce-WG.html

Are the cheap cheap ones like this a terrible idea?

If the smog laws in your area allow you to run your car without cat's, do it. A catless DP is much less expensive than a cat'd DP (usually half the price if not cheaper) and you will get more power out of a catless DP with the added perk of SHOOTING FLAMES FROM THE BACK OF YOUR CAR! YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH

Just like Robosaurus!
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/MarchField2004/Sampler/Robosaurus.jpg

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Amandyke posted:

If the smog laws in your area allow you to run your car without cat's, do it. A catless DP is much less expensive than a cat'd DP (usually half the price if not cheaper) and you will get more power out of a catless DP with the added perk of SHOOTING FLAMES FROM THE BACK OF YOUR CAR! YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH

Just like Robosaurus!
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/MarchField2004/Sampler/Robosaurus.jpg

I know this is automotive insanity, but please think of the person behind you before you run catless. Being stuck behind a catless car in traffic sucks.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Jared592 posted:

I know this is automotive insanity, but please think of the person behind you before you run catless. Being stuck behind a catless car in traffic sucks.

I think this is more catless cars that are running very rich.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jamal posted:

that up-pipe and the downpipe will crack sooner than later. Spend the extra money to get a quality downpipe with a cast bellmouth. Cobb, Invidia, and Harman Motive among others all make good ones.

What are your thoughts on Hayward & Scott or Ferrita products?

Inspector Goon
Dec 7, 2005
Go Go Gadget Rollerskates!
I've been looking into getting a 2011 5-door WRX and I'm located in Connecticut. I found a dealership Bertera Subaru in West Springfield who had one incoming that was pretty much exactly what I wanted. Base model, white, floor mats, etc. They told me about this car on Black Friday so November 26th and told me it should arrive within a few weeks, they grabbed my information and the next day I got a call and they suggested I put some money to hold the car in my name. No obligation and I would test drive it before anything was final and could still say no. Something to note is that they had a VIN number at this point. They initially asked $1000 on the 26th to hold it, then when they called me and said all they needed was about $400 so I went for it. I hadn't heard much from them and sent over an email December 6th, and got a reply the next day:

quote:

Rick or I will get back to you on time frame later today.
and another reply the day after that

quote:

We are showing the car in our incoming inventory. We are just waiting for a delivery date. I hope to have something by Sat. I will keep you posted.
Then they went silent. I emailed them again on the 29th of December asking what's going on with the car. Still no idea, they were going to "talk to the manager, but it will only be a few weeks." He assured me it was the only white WRX in the area and they had even found one in Connecticut that they tried to get for me but it had already sold. The next day after they again didn't get back to me I tried calling the dealership they claimed to contact, they still had the car and were willing to sell it to me. The dealership in West Springfield is very close to me, the other dealership is about 2 hours away. But they had the car and were willing to work with me on price and said I could pick it up Monday (1/3).
I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow from the second dealership but Bertera is reluctant to give me my deposit back and sending me emails/calling trying to make a deal. The strangest part of the story is that when I called them this past Sunday (1/2) and said it's been taking so long so I'm not sure this will work but I'll take my deposit back and keep them in mind, the next day they called me and said the car will be at their dealership the next day. They sent over an email:

quote:

Ok now that we know the vehicle is on it's way we need to get things moving so we can deliver this vehicle to you. I will need you to go to our websight and fill out a credit application and need to know how much money you are going to put down. Also we need to know how you want this registered .
By the way what did you find out from Georgetown? Did they sell the vehicle?
John and I look forward to DELIVERING the car you wanted to you as soon as it arrives.
As soon as I try to back out the car suddenly shows up and they want me in the car as soon as possible! We had also not talked about a price, or gone over the fact that I will need a new set of tires right away and on top of that I told him several times I was going to be paying upfront no financing. I'm starting to think due to the demand it might have gone to another dealership or they were trying to work out a deal with someone else behind my back? I'm really not sure how this could've happened. They repeatedly told me they had no idea where the car was, no "port date," nothing.
Their most recent email was:

quote:

John and I were wondering when you are picking up the vehicle, we need your insurance info also so we can verify it. We also want to know why you would put a deposit on another vehicle when we locked in ours for you and spent the month of December keeping you informed by email and phone of when it was going to arrive.

Is there any reason I should even feel guilty for going with the other dealership? The first one won't match the price because it had a few more options than the one I'm getting (it has tints and the auto dimming mirror specifically). I know people have had trouble finding 5-doors this year but they couldn't find the car for so long and couldn't give me a date.

tl;dr: Dealership strings me along for a month and a half telling me the car will arrive in "two weeks" I find another identical car and buy it, am I a dick?

My :words: aside I'm excited to get my first WRX (I've been driving a 1995 Legacy since I learned to drive) finally and enjoy it while we're getting winter weather here in New England.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Inspector Goon posted:

tl;dr: Dealership strings me along for a month and a half telling me the car will arrive in "two weeks" I find another identical car and buy it, am I a dick?

I wouldn't feel bad about it. Most dealerships wouldn't hesitate to screw you over, and if the demand for the car is so high they won't have a problem selling it anyway.

I'd be willing to bet that they were working out a deal with someone else behind your back anyway, and that person either backed out or is being a flake.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
It sounds to me like typical dealership antics. You weren't going anywhere because you already gave them a little bit of cash on a car they wouldn't have much margin on (no options). Once you told them you were backing out, you were suddenly on their radar again and they just wanted your money. f- them.

Enjoy the new car!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

thealphabetsez posted:

What are your thoughts on Hayward & Scott or Ferrita products?

don't know much about them as we don't really have those brands in the states. The hayward and scott downpipe looks like a piece of junk though- IMO a downpipe needs to have a cast stainless bellmouth. I've seen lots and lots of cracked welds.

logistik
Sep 11, 2001

I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!

Amandyke posted:

Ha, I did that too. The reason you couldn't get the belt back on was likely because you hadn't loosened the lock bolt that holds that tensioner in place. Go to your dealer and pick that piece up, it's $6: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=5485

Oh, and welcome to the subaru owner's club ;)

Just want to thank you for the tip. Got the part and grabbed belts while I was at the dealer. They weren't much more and holy poo poo they actually were the right size too. Just replaced the tensioner adjuster and the two belts in under an hour :dance:

Amazing how easy that poo poo is when you get the right parts. Note to self don't trust canadian tire to give you the right parts.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
New for '03! Integrated radiator sprayer, uses engine coolant so you don't have to refill a special tank!

Click here for the full 2032x1520 image.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Why are you trying to chest thump for the sti catback? It's barely better then the WRX catback. Its still a 2.5 inch high restriction exhaust section.

Seriously, search around nasioc local forums, find used parts, profit.
STay clear of the sti catback, its really not an upgrade at all.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Click here for the full 1280x956 image.

Installed my coilovers installed today with a couple of buddies, sorry for the lovely iphone pics. Need to find a shop in the Portland area for installing my whiteline rear camber bushings and my whiteline RCA kit, any suggestions? Also a good alignment shop?

allonblack fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 9, 2011

AquaDame
Dec 27, 2007
they made me do it

allonblack posted:

Click here for the full 1280x956 image.

Installed my coilovers installed today with a couple of buddies, sorry for the lovely iphone pics. Need to find a shop in the Portland area for installing my whiteline rear camber bushings and my whiteline RCA kit, any suggestions? Also a good alignment shop?

I've heard pdxtuning is (was a couple of years ago) good.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lando posted:

Why are you trying to chest thump for the sti catback? It's barely better then the WRX catback. Its still a 2.5 inch high restriction exhaust section.

Seriously, search around nasioc local forums, find used parts, profit.
STay clear of the sti catback, its really not an upgrade at all.

Actually, I was only going to get a sti axel back. Cat less up pipe, invidia catless down pipe, and an open source stage two reflash. That sound about right?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal - Do you have any experience with these CL Brake Pads? I keep hearing about them. Just that their claims seem so... ridiculous to me. I'm perfectly happy with my Carbotech pads.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah we use them on the time attack car. We've gone through a lot of different kinds of brakes and the CLs have been the best- they're consistent and last a really long time. I think only swapped pads once last season. If you don't have a problem with what you're using there's not a lot of reason to switch though.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Well, I only have about 400 miles on my new Impreza and I hit a deer carcass going about 70mph. There was no time to move because the semi in front of me blocked my view until it was too late. I pulled over to check everything out and nothing appears to be damaged. I'm not even getting any pull in the steering and I'm not getting any unusual vibrations or anything.
Do you all think I should take it into the dealer to get it checked out?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rasta_Al posted:

Do you all think I should take it into the dealer to get it checked out?

YES. I caught some air over a deer carcass in my old Protege5 and although it did do a lot of visible damage to the bumper the worst was the hidden damage that became apparent later on. Both front wheel bearings packed up shortly after, ball joints a few months later, and the sway bar links were bent and destroyed right away. Lots of other little things under the car as well.

How hard did you hit it? Was it mostly intact? Get any air?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Boston Motorsports just offered me an an Invidia catless DP for $225 Shipped.

Is catless really worth it? I've got one Subie buddy saying should I get catted to prevent fireballs/crazy noise? It is a DD...

They are having a "we will beat any price sale" on NASIOC. thought I'd pass along the info.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 10, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

toplitzin posted:

Is catless really worth it? I've got one Subie buddy saying should I get catted to prevent fireballs/crazy noise? It is a DD...

They are having a "we will beat any price sale" on NASIOC. thought I'd pass along the info.

With a proper tune you *will* get more power out of a catless DP. However the main limiting factor is does your local government allow you to run a car without catalytic converters. Yes, the catless DP will be slightly louder, and fireballs are awesome.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Amandyke posted:

With a proper tune you *will* get more power out of a catless DP. However the main limiting factor is does your local government allow you to run a car without catalytic converters. Yes, the catless DP will be slightly louder, and fireballs are awesome.

I'm in Florida. Nobody here cares what we do to our cars.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Catless DP or not, its your catback that will really affect the noise level. My friend runs a catted DP on his 3" SPT exhaust and its 10x louder than my catless DP and stock mid/STi tail combo.

My other friend has a prodrive catback with a *STOCK* DP and it's STILL louder than my setup!

Seriously, get the catless DP, OTS tune it, then see if it's loud enough for you. Mine was close enough with just the DP that I knew I didnt want a full aftermarket catback.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 10, 2011

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Blaise posted:

Catless DP or not, its your catback that will really affect the noise level. My friend runs a catted DP on his 3" SPT exhaust and its 10x louder than my catless DP and stock mid/STi tail combo.

My other friend has a prodrive catback with a *STOCK* DP and it's STILL louder than my setup!

Seriously, get the catless DP, OTS tune it, then see if it's loud enough for you. Mine was close enough with just the DP that I knew I didnt want a full aftermarket catback.

Where's the video of your pipes?

Is this pretty close?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtQwJiaN74 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTRBvIZ3is

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Where's the video of your pipes?

Is this pretty close?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtQwJiaN74 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTRBvIZ3is

That first video is very very close and probably a better job than I could do with it. The 2nd video sounds a good bit raspier than my setup... I really don't know why it sounds so different when it's the same car/setup! Then again I don't really hear my car from the outside too much. I also wanna install the new DP gasket first since I have a leak ATM before I post a vid.

Again, if anything you can get the DP and leave the stock exhaust. I promise you that will be quiet as hell. I wanted a tad more noise :)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I can't imagine wrapping the pipes would cause that much change in sound. Maybe its because he put the camera more in line with the actual exhaust outlet?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

here's something to re-iterate why the last thing you want to do is just put on the downpipe and not re-flash or tune the car. We recently put a downpipe on a 2010 sti and sent it over to the tuner. Here's the baseline and final results:

that's a lotta knock.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I can't imagine wrapping the pipes would cause that much change in sound. Maybe its because he put the camera more in line with the actual exhaust outlet?

Must be. Mine doesn't sound like that....

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

YES. I caught some air over a deer carcass in my old Protege5 and although it did do a lot of visible damage to the bumper the worst was the hidden damage that became apparent later on. Both front wheel bearings packed up shortly after, ball joints a few months later, and the sway bar links were bent and destroyed right away. Lots of other little things under the car as well.

How hard did you hit it? Was it mostly intact? Get any air?

The deer mostly went under the center of the car, but it was a pretty hard hit. The deer was probably a fresh kill... the drat thing was all there. I also remember a little air being involved. I'm going to take the thing into the dealer on Wednesday, I've been working long hours lately so I haven't been driving it much at all (stupid military).

Thanks for your advice.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

what happens when you launch an Open Class rally car running 21 pounds o boost at 5K on tarmac??

Bad Stuff, enjoy pickin up the pieces. vid from tranny teardown day at LDR shop

http://www.youtube.com/user/LastDitchRacing#p/a/u/0/tFiNaxQPmGs

My rallyfriends blew up their gearbox. Whoopsie.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009
So I'm thinking either about buying this little guy: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2153819368.html

Or going with a brand new 2011 STI.

Is 38k miles a big deal on an STI? It seems that this car has been very well taken care of, but that's just what the guy says on his ad. I was just thinking about throwing $5-10k into the used STI and making it into an awesome car rather than losing however much money driving a brand new car off the lot. Thoughts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Catsoup posted:

So I'm thinking either about buying this little guy: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2153819368.html

Is 38k miles a big deal on an STI? It seems that this car has been very well taken care of, but that's just what the guy says on his ad. I was just thinking about throwing $5-10k into the used STI and making it into an awesome car rather than losing however much money driving a brand new car off the lot. Thoughts?

I'm always a fan of the hawkeye STIs, but with an 07 you're looking at a really bad stock tune, especially when paired with Shell V-Power, which in Canada is 91 octane (below the 93 octane minimum requirement documented in the STI manual - even on 93 the tune is pretty suspect).

So either the car has been retuned to match the gas (the good outcome, though it might also indicate that he's done other modifications such as exhaust and just returned the car to stock to sell it) or he's just kept driving it on the stock tune at a high altitude and risked detonation. I'm sure someone else would be able to chime in with more information.

I'd probably take this car for a very in depth inspection including a compression test and visual inspection of the sparkplugs before I commit to a purchase. Signs of excessive detonation and I'd buy a 2011 if you can swing it.

Is V-Power in your state/city 93 octane?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, I have to hand it to Subaru on their stability management program. We had our first "significant" snow today (i.e. enough to have parking lot fun) and VDC had no issues at all with me acting like a total fool in the work parking lot when I left for the day. I don't know if it would have let me do a full doughnut, but it sure as hell let me overpower the rears and slide the rear end sideways halfway across the parking lot.

Electronic nannies that are non-intrusive? Well I'll be damned! (if only that goddamn hill assist had an off switch.)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Ha, I on the other hand just got in from driving in the snow (only about 4") in my '02 and I had to disable the ABS again. The update did make it better in the dry/wet, but in the snow it simply won't let me slow down if it gets engaged. (Edit: OK that's a lie but I can def slow down more braking on my own)

Click here for the full 1600x1091 image.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 12, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

See, I never really had a problem ever stopping in the snow with my '02, even with all-seasons and I've been in some nasty conditions with it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Catsoup posted:

Quick google search turns up that in his opinion on the following poll:

View Poll Results: Which delivers more whp?

He chose: Blouch Dominator 4.0R

Not a big deal, just saying... it's probably been modified and put back to stock.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Bull, I gotta say that I love how you've held onto that avatar -forever-.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slow is Fast posted:

My rallyfriends blew up their gearbox. Whoopsie.

I love this channel

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Serious question:

I'm about to take delivery on a 2011 Outback 3.6r, and I live near San Francisco. I plan to take this car up to Tahoe. Do I need snow tires, or will the all-seasons it comes with be good enough?

If I'm going to get snow tires, I was planning on just getting a complete set of wheels so that I could swap them out, but I'm seeing a bunch of stuff about difficulty changing the system's TPMS sync. Should I even bother with any of that?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Might depend on the specific tires it comes with, but in my experience Subarus with all seasons are fine for weekend trips to Tahoe. A lot of it comes down to how you drive though. You'll have to take it slower and more carefully with all seasons. Braking may give you problems in some situations, so try to slow down by downshifting as much as possible and stay in a low gear relative to the speed you want to travel when going downhill so you don't need to brake to keep your speed in check. CalTrans keeps the major roads well plowed, so it never really gets too bad.

Snow tires don't make too much sense for someone living in the Bay Area IMO since they aren't needed at all when you're home, its often not snowing/bellow freezing when you're in Tahoe, and even when it is, you only hit those conditions close to the end of your drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CrazyLittle posted:

Bull, I gotta say that I love how you've held onto that avatar -forever-.

Heh, more laziness than anything. There's also the fact that I browse the forums with avatars turned off so I don't even see it.