Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

From what I recall, Man on Wire stole almost all of its music from the Michael Nyman scores for various Peter Greenaway films. The only music I can recall from My Dinner With Andre is Satie's "Gymnopedie", which appears in a lot of movies.

It also squished the hell out of a lot of old 1.33:1 footage, which drove me nuts and is the reason why I've only seen the film once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

From what I recall, Man on Wire stole almost all of its music from the Michael Nyman scores for various Peter Greenaway films. The only music I can recall from My Dinner With Andre is Satie's "Gymnopedie", which appears in a lot of movies.
The scenes it appeared in seemed very similar and I thought it was being used towards the same ends. Independent of the music I think they're rather similar films, which is high praise from me since My Dinner with Andre lead me to a career in theatre.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Wolfgang Pauli, I watched Food Inc. for a Current Issues class I took last year. It's very good, I hope you learn from it.

So in the time it took me to get a copy of The Seventh Seal I wound up watching The Godfather as well. That was an excellent film and I plan to watch Part II relatively soon. I really enjoyed it. 10/10

However, The Seventh Seal was one of the most amazing films I think I've ever seen. In terms of cinema as an art this blew me away. I absolutely loved it. 10/10 for an entirely different reaction.

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#23 Mulholland Dr. - Let's give Lynch another go.

#24 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I haven't watched a western in a while and this has been on my to do list for a long time.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - Let's do this.

#27 2001: A Space Odyssey - Been trying to knock down Kubrick for awhile. This is probably the biggest one I haven't watched yet though I still have a ways to go.

#28 The Bicycle Thief - Don't know much about this but I like the idea of it.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 3, 2011

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

#23 Mulholland Dr. - Let's give Lynch another go.

My favorite movie that I've seen from this thread.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was loving awesome. I had seen all of the most famous scenes already, but the whole movie is a perfectly paced adventure. Besides all the amazing action scenes, the movie has a great sense of humor as well. The only nitpick I have is that some of the special effects look pretty crappy now.

Also watched A Streetcar Named Desire which was good as well. The acting is great-especially Brando's Stanley, who was terrifying. There's really not much else to it since it's a film version of a play.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

6. Pulp Fiction - I've seen large chunks of it, including the ending, but I feel like I should watch it from start to finish sometime. Unfortunately I don't think I could get full enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Pickpocket - Another French movie that I don't know much about.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Atheistdeals, watch The General. I've always liked Keaton more than Chaplin.

I finally saw Grizzly Man, after weeks of forgetting to move it to the top of my Netflix queue. I was right in assuming that Timothy Treadwell had an annoying personality, and that Herzog would save it. I'm going to watch The White Diamond tonight just to hear some more of his narration. 4/5

While I was waiting to see Grizzly Man I knocked a few more off my list that were on Instant:
Wing of Desire was a chore to sit through. I like thoughtful rambling when it comes from Herzog, but not from these characters. 2/5

At the beginning, Z reminded me a lot of The Battle of Algiers, which instantly turned me off. The second half of the movie, focusing on the investigation, was much more interesting. I especially liked the final sequence of the sentencing. 3/5

I had heard that A Shot in the Dark was much better that The Pink Panther. It was, but not by much. I didn't connect with most of the comedy, although there were a few good sequences (the billiards match, evading the assassin, the final reveal of the murderer). 2.5/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
The Red Shoes
Continuing my P&P marathon, and I've heard nothing but good things about this one.
Inland Empire
So how does this compare to Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive?
Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?
La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.
Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
Toy Story 3
Only IMDB top 50 I haven't seen.
The Green Mile
And this will round out the top 100.
The Fountain
There are certainly differing opinions on the quality of this one, its time to form my own.
Camera Buff
I'm going to try to keep of with the Filmspotting Kieslowski marathon.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

TenSpadesBeTrump, watch Toy Story 3, because why not?

Well, Mulholland Dr. was interesting. I'd be lying if I said I understood it, but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. I'll definitely have to read up on it and watch it again. Still, some loose ends there, although I guess nothing is to be expected from Lynch. At least it wasn't as much of a mindfuck or as disturbing as Eraserhead was. It did however give Lynch an appropriate second chance so there'll probably be some more of his movie on this list in the future. 8/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#24 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I haven't watched a western in a while and this has been on my to do list for a long time.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#27 2001: A Space Odyssey - Been trying to knock down Kubrick for awhile. This is probably the biggest one I haven't watched yet though I still have a ways to go.

#29 Wild Strawberries - Thinking about it the day after I think The Seventh Seal may be one of my new favorite movies. Let's get some more Bergman.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Dr.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Finally got to see Once Upon a Time in the West Great movie. Different from the Dollars Trilogy. Much slower paced and more thought provoking. Great musical score by Ennio Morricone. Sergio Leone doesn't disappoint.

Also saw Animal Crackers on my own. The Marx Brothers are great. Loved the bridge game w/ Harpo and Chico and also Chico's non-stop musical number.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

Double Indemnity

Once Upon a Time In the West
Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) - I tend to like Sci/Fi, but never saw this.

Animal Crackers
Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

Amadeus

7 Samurai
Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

Singin' in the Rain
My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Ed Wood - Saw most Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations, but somehow missed this

12 Angry Men

TrixRabbi, You can see 2001: A Space Odyssey

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Amadeus

An easy top-tenner for me, my gift to you.

It took me forever, but today I finally resolved to sit down and watch 8 1/2, which was quite a treat. I'm not familiar at all with Fellini, so I don't know if this kind of cinematic madness is normal for him, but it was certainly welcome. By the second hour of it things had gotten so wild my eyes were kind of glazed over in elated confusion. It was densely layered but not obnoxiously intellectual. This thread continues to deliver.

1. His Girl Friday: Appease my Cary Grant fetish.

2. Cries and Whispers: I want to keep watching Bergman.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Before I go on my uninformed hyperboled diatribe, I'll make my pick for you, Kull. Honestly, any pick on your list will be a treat. Shortlist is the Renoir (how dare you make me choose between the two best films ever made), Rashomon, and Stroszek (if you're not prepared for Herzog's fictional work... well, gently caress, you're in for a ride. A weird one). I think, though, that I'm going to have to pick The Rules of the Game. The Grand Illusion is better, but I think that Rules is a better introduction to that brand of poetic realism.

I was very skeptical going into Food Inc because it was dealing with something very close to me at the moment: the poetics of revolution. I figured that this was one of a number of green movement documentaries that sought to revolutionize agribusiness through film... but not quite understanding just how the gently caress to do that. Liberal populist documentaries usually fall into the ideologue trap, they play on our emotions in order to win our sympathies, but by never encouraging critical thought they fail to gain a sincere resonance and build supporters capable of enacting change. Food Inc didn't give a poo poo about your sympathy, it demanded action... But I still don't think it accomplished it's goal of inciting action. It isn't perfect, but I was refreshingly surprised by the capacity for independent and critical thought it encouraged in me. Once the small independent farmer dude, I never caught his name, was introduced, I regularly paused the film to jot down notes and ideas and document my perception of the film.

These were my notes:
*Corporate agri-business being allowed to make consequence-free decisions concerning agricultural landlordism, E Coli/disease/sanitation, diabetes/obesity/affects of quality upon consumers, economic fallout from competition in developing countries, etc.
*I keep raising the question of "What will be the consequences of smaller independent agri production?" -- The idea of lowered carrying capacity comes to mind, but there's no reason to think that technology will not keep pace with demand or allow systemic famine. There's nothing inherently unethical about corn production in and of itself, just the ends of its use by agribusiness. Corn, genetically modified corn in particular, is being tendered as a solution to third world famine and underproduction, and will probably improve local and regional food markets (which still won't be able to compete, since imported food is still part of that market). -- I'm just not convinced that popular revolution will have the power necessary to make these changes, and people may be too easily satisfied. It was Teddy Roosevelt and Progressive politicians that took down trusts to win votes, popular will only had a small and indirect effect. Labor unions do a good that is only ephemeral, they're easily manipulated in the long term and this has largely pacified them in the industries that require them. -- But what about Big Tobacco?
*The Stonyfield guy made some progress environmentally, yeah, but the social progress is left unmarked. Actually, it serves to reinforce it on the retail level. Walmart still treats its workers like poo poo and still allows the option to buy dirt cheap poo poo that will give you heart disease.
*The problem of genetically modified soybeans presented is a problem stemming from privatized agribusiness and unreformed patent law, not scientific ethics or agricultural technology.
*I had no idea about veggie libel laws. That poo poo is crazy.

My List:
Valhalla Rising - I really haven't heard anything about this. I saw a comparison to Antichrist somewhere.
Mongol - I wrote this off years ago, but apparently it's pretty good.
A Prophet - I don't think I've heard a harsh word about this, but I've really never had mood and opportunity coincide to make me watch this (I spent a year without watching my Criterion of Seven Samurai because I didn't want to gently caress up my first impression)
Ken Burns's The War - I got like halfway through the first episode but had to stop. It didn't put me to sleep, but I was still way too tired to watch a two hour talking head documentary.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Daniel Day Lewis is in this. It's about adultery or something. That's all I know.
Chop Shop
Sweetgrass - I've been getting really into documentaries lately. Netflix thinks that this is the best choice from both Science docs and Cultural docs.
Time Bandits - The list of Terry Gilliam movies I've seen is embarrassingly short.
Beautiful Losers
The Thin Blue Line - Surprised I haven't seen this. I mean, I've seen Murder on a Sunday Morning and thought it was great, and I still haven't bothered with this.

This is all the poo poo I've watched so far: The Godfather Part II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, M, The City of Lost Children, Lonesome Dove, Die Hard, Predator, True Lies, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Man on Wire, Food Inc.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 4, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Wolfgang Pauli,let's go with A Prophet

Solaris was quite the journey. I don't know what I was expecting, but it left me mesmerized and thinking about it for the better part of the day. I don't know what else I can say about it other than I want to revisit it, but I'm not quite sure when I'll be ready for it.

1) Dawn of the Dead- not a horror guy, but I'm trying to see all the classics
2) Chinatown- finishing up my important films of the 70s list
3) Brazil- I've seen some Gilliam, but not enough
4) Aguirre, the Wrath of God- starting in on Herzog
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- the last major Newman film I have to see
9) City Lights- going to make this my silent film slot
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey, I'm happy to make you watch Brazil

2001 was very interesting. Kubrick is always big on geometry and it really stuck out here. It was odd that it crawled at some spots, yet others the time flew by. Overall I greatly enjoyed it, especially because I was expecting the whole film to be more like the last half hour. 9/10

#29 Wild Strawberries - Thinking about it the day after I think The Seventh Seal may be one of my new favorite movies. Let's get some more Bergman.

#30 The Silence Of The Lambs - As a kid I always saw horror movies as something spectacular mainly because I didn't get to watch a lot of them. So this was one I always wanted to see but never got to.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey

Mucky
Dec 26, 2005

WHY IS THERE A CHERRY ON A STICK IN THIS DRINK? IT'S NOT AS IF IT DOES ANYTHING FOR THE FLAVOR. WHY DOES ANYONE TAKE A PERFECTLY GOOD DRINK AND THEN PUT IN A CHERRY ON A POLE?
TrixRabbi, you get The Silence of the Lambs.

As for me, my first list. I was not introduced to quality cinema by my parents so all my exposure since then has come from my own discovery. There are some I feel I should see but never had the motivation to. Maybe if I feel obligated to watch them I will:

#1 Dr. Strangelove I want to stop worrying and love the bomb! Just never got around to it.

#2 North by Northwest I know almost nothing at all about this movie.

#3 Citizen Kane Got it once from Netflix and sent it back unwatched. I still feel bad about that.

#4 Full Metal Jacket I've seen part of it but never the whole thing.

#5 2001 Lots of Kubrick here, huh? Again, I've seen parts of it.

#6 Seven Samurai HOW long?

#7 The Rocky Horror Picture Show Always kinda...nervous...about this.

That's all I can think of this late.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mucky, I want you to watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show but you either have to go to a midnight screening of it, or if that's not possible, watch it with a bunch of friends. It's a social movie and it's a lot of fun. If you really want you can watch it by yourself, it's still enjoyable, but for the full experience you really need to go to a screening.

So I have no life, although school vacation gives me a lot of free time. Silence of the Lambs was very good. I was always afraid it'd be a bit too gruesome, and while some of the postmortem photos left me unsettled I still enjoyed the movie a lot. Anthony Hopkins is just having too much fun in this role. 9/10

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

TrixRabbi posted:

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.
I don't know if I'll get the next pick or not, but you have to drink every time you see David Bowie's bulge. Them's the rules. :colbert:

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TrixRabbi, you get Pee Wee's Big Adventure, because it's pure fun

I loved Brazil. I forget how much I love the craziness of Gilliam until I watch one of his films and then wonder why I haven't seen more. The mix of social commentary and sheer absurdity was both hysterical and depressing at the same time. It's among my favorite films I've watched for this thread.

3) The Day The Earth Stood Still- need to watch more early science fiction
9) City Lights- going to make this my silent film slot
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey, you get City Lights, one of my favorites.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre wasn't at all what I expected, which was a bit more along the lines of a light-hearted adventure film starring Humphrey Bogart as his classic, smooth, cool self (which is how it has been built up in my head over the years). What I got was a much more grim piece about greed and madness starring Humphrey Bogart as a gritty, dirty, paranoid borderline-psychotic... or the opposite of his "typical" roles as I see them. Great performances all around and a good script, definitely exciting. Unfortunately--and possibly due to my preconceptions--it didn't live up to the hype completely. I feel as if I shouldn't give it lower than a 4.5/5, but I feel much more comfortable with a 4/5. I think it's my trademark score.

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The African Queen *NEW* - Maybe this Bogart/Huston pairing won't disappoint at all given that I know nothing else about it

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Last Year at Marienbad - Might as well get another Resnais out there; this one I've wanted to see for a while, seems like something I'd love and I was upset when I missed it on Netflix Instant

5. Masculin, féminin / Contempt / Le Petit Soldat - Love Godard, these is are a (somewhat) random three that I haven't seen

6. sex, lies, and videotape - Probably an important film to watch

7. Brazil - The only Terry Gilliam I've seen is Fear and Loathing and 12 Monkeys; I usually love surrealist films, and that's partially what this is... right? gently caress, I don't know

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. Sunset Boulevard - Relatively inexperienced in Billy Wilder; so ashamed!

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 5/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 4/5

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

PDMChubby, I think if I see Brazil on someone's list I have to give it to them.

I have to agree that Pee-Wee's big adventure is just pure fun. I actually remember seeing the beginning on TV late one night but I got too tired and turned it off. I also won't be able to get the Breakfast Machine music out of my head for days now.

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
TrixRabbi has to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's a lot of fun.

Toy Story 3 was so much better than I expected. After watching the second one for this thread, and being a bit disappointed in it, I wasn't expecting much from this. It delivered both emotionally and as a great adventure. 4.5/5

I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
The Red Shoes
Continuing my P&P marathon, and I've heard nothing but good things about this one.
Inland Empire
Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?
La Dolce Vita
Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.
The Green Mile
The Fountain
There are certainly differing opinions on the quality of this one, its time to form my own.
Camera Buff
The Wild Bunch
Really no excuse for this.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

TenSpades:

I'm giving you "The Fountain". I happen to fall into the camp that adores this movie. Here's to hoping you enjoy it.

I saw Magnolia. Thought it was beautiful, and well done. My problem with the movie is that the first 2 hours was edited in a way and had a constant score that seemed distracting. The movie felt like there was a 2 hour climax leading up to the final hour when things finally came together. I LIKED it, but the pace just seemed to much for too long

1. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. The Great Escape:
Just never saw it, and know nothing about it.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Die Hard:
It shames me that I haven't seen this one. I love action movies, and enjoy some Bruce Willis. I just never saw this for some reason.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
zandert33 watch La Strada, in my opinion a perfect starting point for Fellini. 8 1/2 can be kind of startling if you watch it first so it's best to ease into him with some of his more conventional neo-realist works. Also it's simply a great movie.

The Face of Another was what I've come to expect from Teshigahara, a deeply unnerving, visually stunning study of the dark corners of the human soul. Not quite up to the level of Woman in The Dunes but then what is? Definitely a lot to think about here.

I also watched Cries and Whispers which was not exactly what I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it very much. The color scheme was interesting, consisting almost entirely of vivid reds and whites, with the dominance of red apparently representing the human soul. Incredible performances from the main 4 actresses as well. Extremely depressing, but then this is Bergman we're talking about.

1. Seven Samurai - Yeah yeah I know... I've loved the Kurosawa films I have seen (Rashomon, Stray Dog, Yojimbo) and I know this is is magnum opus but I have always been scared away by the length. Somebody make me sit the gently caress down and watch this thing.

2. The Last of The Mohicans - I need to see more Michael Mann, I recently saw Manhunter and loved it, and you can't go wrong with Mr. Day-Lewis.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando/Kazan. I've seen On The Waterfront which was fantastic, especially Marlon's performance, and A Face In The Crowd was just amazing. It's about time I see this classic.

4. Shadow of A Doubt - I'm still kind of a Hitchcock newbie, and I hear this was his personal favorite of his films.

5. The Elephant Man - This is one of the 3 Lynch films I haven't seen, the other 2 being Dune and The Straight Story. I guess I'm just scared of what a non-Lynchian Lynch is like.

6. Touch of Evil - Orson loving Welles.

7. The New World - Terence Malick is a cinematic genius. This is the only one of his 4 films that I have not seen. Feel like it's time now that The Tree of Life is finally coming out.

8. The Rules of The Game - Apparently one of the best films of all time. Also this will be my first Renoir.

9. Wings of Desire - Time for another Wenders. Can this live up to the greatness of Paris, Texas?

10. White - Second film in Kiezlowksi's Three Colors Trilogy. Blue was incredible and I loved The Double Life of Veronique so I'm excited for this.

Watched from this thread: Paris, Texas; Cries and Whispers; The Face of Another

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
HP Hovercraft, The Elephant Man is slightly more Lynchian than people say it is. But there's only one way you'll know that for sure...

Au Revoir les Enfants was a much, much better film than I expected. As Criminal Minded said in his Criticker review, it's an incredibly accurate portrayal of adolescence. That aspect reminded me a lot of The 400 Blows, and the way the war told a small story about these kids getting thrown around by circumstance in a much larger conflict reminded me of The Grand Illusion. The ending was frustrating, more than anything, because the powerlessness of the characters was so readily perceptible, but it's the kind of frustration you're supposed to feel.

I also knocked out Tremors, more out of curiosity than anything. It was definitely a better-than-average horror film. The small town setting and the cast of unknowns worked surprisingly well. Plus seeing Reba McEntire as a gun nut was unexpectedly fun. It's kind of a shame it got franchised to death. I'm probably not going to bother with the sequels since they don't look worthwhile.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: I've heard it's awesome; it sounds pretty out-there and kinda fun.
Akira: I watched this as part of my high school's Japanese Club, but I can't say I really "watched" the movie since it basically consisted of waiting for the other kids to stop going nuts over the one shot of animated boobs.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Kagemusha: Kurosawa wins my heart more with every film. I've seen 8, which for his filmography is just getting started.
L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Pierrot le Fou: I've never seen a Godard movie and I don't know a thing about this film.
Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Vertigo: Even though I've at least liked (and usually loved) every Hitchcock film I've seen, I'm pretty far behind on his work.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I watched 3 from my list. All good in different ways.

No Country for Old Men - Another morality play on the problems that money causes from the Coen bros. similar to Fargo (with another cold, staid killer of few words). He uses an interesting weapon throughout. I liked the first half of the movie a lot but it dragged a little the second half and became more predictable.

Toy Story 3 - Another good story. It's amazing how you can get enthralled by these CGI toys and conversely have many movies with real life actors..even based on real events just stink. I laughed a lot during the toy torture scenes (with the toddlers) even though I saw it coming. It lives up to the first one completely. They could end this trilogy right here..but with a concept as broad as toys they could do this a very long time. Only time will tell.

Also watched The Maltese Falcon - Spade is a no-nonsense kind of character and the Fat Man was another funny character especially if you imagine him chasing after the falcon for so many years and then what ultimately transpires. He basically looks like Jabba the Hutt in some of the scenes and takes up 90% of the screen.

reshuffled IMDb List (it's surprising how some of these movies ascend and descend
drastically in only a few weeks time). I was going to finally rest on my laurels for conquering the IMDb top 50 but I see that a new movie has encroached upon that territory. Black Swan..

#74 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded
skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look. (added 7/11/10)

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#91 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once. (added 9/25/10)

#102 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#120 The General - Many place this atop their all-time movie lists. I've seen very few from this time period. (added 12/30/10)

#123 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much. (added 12/11/10)

NEW #127 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

NEW #128 Wild Strawberries - Just haven't gotten around to it. It seems every Bergman film I watch is profound on some level. (added 1/7/11)

NEW #129 Snatch - It has been recommended but I forgot to watch this one at some point.(added 1/7/11)

#138 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all. (added 12/30/10)

CloseFriend posted:

Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Vertigo: Even though I've at least liked (and usually loved) every Hitchcock film I've seen, I'm pretty far behind on his work.

I've only seen Rain Man and Vertigo from your list so I flipped a quarter in honor of Anton. Tails. You get Vertigo.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Zogo posted:

No Country for Old Men - Another morality play on the problems that money causes from the Coen bros. similar to Fargo (with another cold, staid killer of few words). He uses an interesting weapon throughout. I liked the first half of the movie a lot but it dragged a little the second half and became more predictable.

The second half became predictable? The whole second half was a bunch of unpredictable elements colliding together from Llewelyn's sudden murder by the mexican gang to Chigurh's car accident. The whole movie emphasizes how unpredictable fate is (Chigurh's coin flip) and this comes to a head at the end.

Also not really a morality play about money, more about the ongoing nihilism of existence.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Desiato posted:

The second half became predictable? The whole second half was a bunch of unpredictable elements colliding together from Llewelyn's sudden murder by the mexican gang to Chigurh's car accident. The whole movie emphasizes how unpredictable fate is (Chigurh's coin flip) and this comes to a head at the end.

I didn't see the car accident coming but I was very confident that Chigurh would prevail in the end.

Desiato posted:

Also not really a morality play about money, more about the ongoing nihilism of existence.

That's what I read and heard about before watching it but I didn't feel I saw that too strongly. Netflix has this in the description

quote:

The roles of prey and predator blur as violent pursuits of money and justice collide

I didn't see prey/predator blur nor money/justice collide. If someone did I'd like an explanation.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Zogo posted:

I didn't see the car accident coming but I was very confident that Chigurh would prevail in the end.

But he didn't. A third party gang of roving randos killed Brolin

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

But he didn't. A third party gang of roving randos killed Brolin

He doesn't score a Coup de grâce on the entire cast and we don't know if he ever finds the money but in the end he finds Moss' wife and also kills the "man who hires wells." He does survive and he's the only one that remains sure of himself (as Ed Tom Bell is reduced to babbling about dreams as the credits roll).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I see what you're saying and all, but if you think the second half of No Country is predictable, you've been watching some next level poo poo.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Zogo gets The General, because I try to get as many people to watch Keaton as I can.

The Fountain was certainly interesting. Having only finished watching it a few minutes ago, IO'm having trouble collecting my thoughts on it. The tension was mostly lost in the third act, since it focused more on the other two stories, which had gotten less focus previously. It was still very moving though, I just wish there had been more of an even split between all three stories, as they were all equally interesting. My least favorite of Aronofsky's (although I haven't seen Pi in a long time), but it still gets a 4/5

The Red Shoes:
Inland Empire:
Das Boot:
La Dolce Vita:
Europa:
The Green Mile:
Camera Buff:
The Wild Bunch:
Really no excuse for this.
Any Cassavetes:
He has a lot available on Instant and I have no clue where to start.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
TenSpadesBeTrump - you get Inland Empire

Intolerance was much more tolerable than The Birth of a Nation. The way it interwove multiple plots was interesting, especially considering how early it was in the life of narrative film. However, a couple of the plots seemed kind of shoe-horned in and really didn't seem to add much.

Updated list:
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

Band of Outsiders - Some more Godard here. This is one that's interested me for a while.

I vitelloni - Probably the biggest Fellini that I haven't seen, so I might as well throw this in here.

Lilja 4-ever - as far as I understand this is supposed to be kind of depressing. I've seen a couple of Moodysson's other movies and liked (or loved) them.

Andrei Rublev - Getting some more Tarkovsky in here.

L'Atalante - This is pretty well regarded, although I've seen some rather mixed opinions about it in this thread. Still, seems worth checking out.

Nashville - I like Altman and this is one I've been meaning to see for a while.

Seen - Breathless, Pink Flamingos, Do the Right Thing, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Downfall, Fitzcarraldo, Z, Spartacus, The Elephant Man, Scenes from a Marriage, Audition, Three Colors Trilogy, Stalker, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, El Topo, Belle de jour, The Piano Teacher, Apocalypse Now, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Babel, Shoot the Piano Player, La dolce vita, The Birth of a Nation, Man with a Movie Camera, L'age d'or, The Rules of the Game, Stroszek, Rosemary's Baby, Through a Glass Darkly, Bride of Frankenstein, The Thin Blue Line, Even Dwarfs Started Small, The Godfather, The Idiots, The Godfather Part II, Vivre sa vie, Stray Dog, The Haunting, Glengarry Glen Ross, Destiny, Scarlet Street, Intolerance

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

dotCommunism, d10 says... Band of Outsiders.

I just finished Vertigo which I enjoyed. It was a beautifully shot movie. The dream sequence in particular was absolutely awesome. Also, San Francisco is one of the most photogenic cities ever. Hell, I loved So I Married an Axe Murderer and half the reason why was San Francisco. Vertigo was also a well-acted movie with some plot twists I completely didn't see coming. I didn't think it was as tight or focused as some of Hitchcock's other work, though, plus the ending didn't feel very conclusive. I still really liked it, but my two favorite films of his remain The Lady Vanishes and North by Northwest.

More than anything, I'm surprised Kim Novak's still alive. I just assumed she died in some accident a while back like Jayne Mansfield or Grace Kelly.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo

12 Angry Men: I know almost everything about this movie, but I still feel like I should see it. The only Henry Fonda film I've seen so far is Once Upon a Time in the West, so I think I should see more.
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: I've heard it's awesome; it sounds pretty out-there and kinda fun.
Akira: I watched this as part of my high school's Japanese Club, but I can't say I really "watched" the movie since it basically consisted of waiting for the other kids to stop going nuts over the one shot of animated boobs.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Kagemusha: Kurosawa wins my heart more with every film. I've seen 8, which for his filmography is just getting started.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Pierrot le Fou: I've never seen a Godard movie and I don't know a thing about this film.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

12 Angry Men: I know almost everything about this movie, but I still feel like I should see it. The only Henry Fonda film I've seen so far is Once Upon a Time in the West, so I think I should see more.

Even if you know so much about it it's still well worth watching.

The General really impressed me. Making a train chase so entertaining, then doing it again in reverse was pretty cool. I can't believe the stunts Buster Keaton actually had to do. The feeling of watching someone really risking their life on the screen just makes the movie more exciting. I also liked Keaton's calm disposition. I kinda expect silent movies to have characters who are constantly mugging or doing double-takes. It was kinda weird having a Confederate hero and Union villains though.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

6. Pulp Fiction - I've seen large chunks of it, including the ending, but I feel like I should watch it from start to finish sometime. Unfortunately I don't think I could get full enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. The General Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Pickpocket - Another French movie that I don't know much about.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo
Atheistdeals.com, you get to see Bresson's Pickpocket - one of my favorite films. As a little bonus, you have to read Sontag's short essay on Bresson too: http://www.coldbacon.com/writing/sontag-bresson.html And if you like Paul Schrader's work (particularly with Scorsese), you'll appreciate it more after seeing Pickpocket.

First time in this thread - here's my list:

Manhattan - I've liked the other Woody Allen films from this era, but the last Allen I saw was Deconstructing Harry and I couldn't make it through the entire thing - it was too neurotic and whiney for me, although the editing was interesting. This is probably the next Allen I'd see if Deconstructing Harry hadn't left me with a bad taste.

Paris, Texas - Intrigued to see Kinski's daughter act, and I adore Harry Dean Stanton, but this one just seems so slow so I keep putting it off. Even though I watch lots of other slow films.

The Searchers - I've barely seen any John Wayne that I can recall (or John Ford, for that matter). This is supposed to be his best, or so I hear. He just seems too much like conventional Hollywood for me to ever get that excited about seeing one of his films.

Psycho - I've seen parts of this in other media so many times already. Will it be worthwhile without all the suspense? It doesn't seem as interesting as other Hitchcocks either.

Thin Red Line - One reason I haven't seen this is that I read the studio cut out half the footage. I also just haven't seen any Malick yet.

The Man with a Movie Camera - Watched a few minutes and it seemed like interesting experimental footage. But it seems to drag on with things that have since lost their impressiveness. Is it still a notable work today, or just historically?

Playtime - Don't really know anything about this! This entry could be any other Jacques Tati too - Mon Ocle, Mr. Hulot's Holiday. These just seem like they might be too whimsical to be interesting.

Dr. Caligari's Cabinet - The stills I've seen look cool. I don't have much tolerance for silent films though, with a few exceptions - actually I end up loving some I see, but it usually takes more will to start one than I have.

The Gospel According to St. Matthew - I like Pasolini (Teorema is one of my favorite films) but the story of Jesus just seems too boring to me, even if it's done unconventionally - which I'm sure it is, since it's Pasolini, and he's not a fan of the church either.

Vampyr - Passion of Joan of Arc is a great film, but I haven't gotten around to seeing anything else by Dreyer. I'll definitely see Ordet (especially since I always read about it being praised by von Trier) but vampire films don't usually get me going.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Captain Lou, Paris, Texas is long and slow, but it's so worth it. Make sure to set aside the time and don't worry; the film is pretty to look at too.

I just watched 12 Angry Men and that movie absolutely deserves the hype it got. It's one of the best character pieces I've ever seen. I was amazed at how easy it was to follow 12 nameless white males and how real their emotions were. The forces against #8 actually felt enormous and his eventual victory actually felt like a major accomplishment. Everything—the apathetic-looking judge, the terrified kid who was supposed to be the defendant, the personal issues influencing each juror—made for an appropriate commentary on the flaws of the criminal justice system that are still present today.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men

Jules et Jim: I don't know anything about this movie either, but a lot of people love it.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
The Royal Tenenbaums - It struck me as a feel-good film that was very easy to follow the whole way through, but still giving you a bit of depth. The film seemed like the director tried too make it so different in a way (First Wes Andersson film I have seen) that it seemed a bit tacky. After a while the whole film felt too long and dragged out, but it all came together at the end and I accepted it. Alex Baldwin doing the voice-over was just awesome and I loved the soundtrack. 6/10

CloseFriend You get your wish; Kagemusha.

1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. M
Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse
More Fritz Lang. I think I have seen this mentioned here in the thread.

6. Metropolis
Le samourai
Have been interested in this for quite some time.

7. Rashômon
Yojimbo
A Fistful of Dollars
Never seen any of the "Dollar" movies.

8. Psycho
I really do not have a good excuse here, though I have not seen too many Hitchcock's either except from Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Låt Den Rätte Komma In (Let The Right One In)
The Royal Tenenbaums
Mouchette
I have seen Diary of a Country Priest and Pickpocket and I love both of them. More Bresson!

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

von Braun, as much as I'd love to give you some Bergman, whom I love, it appears you're already quite a bit of a fan, so I'm hooking you up with Psycho, a film with very high standing on my "favorites" list.

Brazil was an absolute pleasure to watch. Visually, it's interesting and somewhat colorful, so I never got sick of looking at it. Other than that, it was utterly hilarious and just plain charmingly absurd. I spent much of the film with a smirk on my face. As it went on, it started to lose it's charm, but like I said, I couldn't stop watching (not even close) and the ending, though bleak, totally put a perfect cap on it. drat terrific film and a joy to watch, I definitely need to rewatch it as soon as I can manage. 5/5

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The African Queen - Maybe this Bogart/Huston pairing won't disappoint at all given that I know nothing else about it

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Last Year at Marienbad - Might as well get another Resnais out there; this one I've wanted to see for a while, seems like something I'd love and I was upset when I missed it on Netflix Instant

5. Masculin, féminin / Contempt / Le Petit Soldat - Love Godard, these is are a (somewhat) random three that I haven't seen

6. sex, lies, and videotape - Probably an important film to watch

7. Aguirre: The Wrath of God *NEW* - Don't know anything about this really, may be my first Herzog (yikes) unless you count 2009's Bad Lieutenant I don't

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. Sunset Boulevard - Relatively inexperienced in Billy Wilder; so ashamed!

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 5/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 4/5; Brazil - 5/5

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
PDMChubby - Sunsey Boulevard is one of my favorites, so I'll give you that to watch.

The Leopard was exceptional. I'm glad I waited to get the disc so I could watch it on my big screen, instead of watching the American version on instant. Good lord, that's probably one of the most impeccably decorated and costumed movies I've ever seen. That ballroom scene alone is incredible. I'm taking a production management class at the moment, and I can't even imagine the organization and coordination that went into filming that sequence.

And on top of all that beauty and detail, I found myself completely engrossed in the characters and story as well. Definitely one of my favorites from this thread.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

The Mirror I really liked the last Tarkovsky I saw, looking forward to getting further into his movies.

To Be or Not to Be I can see why this got a less than warm response when it first came out.

Viridiana I don't know anything about this, but the story sounds very intriguing.

Nashville I do love me some Robert Altman.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

tokillthesunflower posted:

The Mirror I really liked the last Tarkovsky I saw, looking forward to getting further into his movies.

This one is easily his most cerebral and difficult, but the cinematic experience is unlike any other.

I was worried at the start of The Rules of the Game was that it was going to be an dryly dramatic Chekovian holiday movie, but by the time the the hunting scene occured, it began to become very clear that there was a lot of social commentary going on. Its historical context is integral now that I've just read about it, so it's definitely going to warrant another viewing in time. I liked it a hell of a lot more than Monsieur Lange, but it's interesting to see some stylistic parallels between the two films, seeing as they're the only two Renoirs I've seen. They both address the concept of heroism, and depict flawed men who inherit the role for different reasons. I'll watch it again down the road at some point and will definitely have more to think about.

1. His Girl Friday: Appease my Cary Grant fetish.

2. Cries and Whispers: I want to keep watching Bergman.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. Earth: I'm really curious to see what Dovzhenko was all about. I saw a really interesting documentary about him and feel obligated to check him out.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Oh hey, I totally didn't take three months to get back to this thread...

Kull the Conqueror posted:

His Girl Friday: Appease my Cary Grant fetish.

Fetish appeased.

I really, really liked Goodfellas, in particular the wonderful tracking long takes. All three main actors are, of course, fantastic, and the music was spot on without calling too much attention to itself.

quote:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead Goodfellas Winter's Bone - I've been meaning to catch up on this for forever.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon The Fountain - It's the only Aronofsky film I haven't seen, and he's one of my favorite directors.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen. (I replaced Imitation of Life because I realized that I don't like Sirk as much as I thought I did.)

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic last week and loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

6. Badlands Reservoir Dogs - I really like Tarantino, but I still haven't seen this.

7. North by Northwest Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Vertigo Ambrosia, you get Solaris, because I'm still thinking abut it a week after I watched it

City Lights was my first Chaplin and was as great as I expected. I found myself laughing out loud at some parts and grinning the whole way through. Simply amazing,

3) The Day The Earth Stood Still- need to watch more early science fiction
9) The Gold Rush- more Chaplin

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

I haven't seen The Insider, but other than that, this is the only thing on your list that isn't overrated IMO.

Into the Wild - So Sean Penn stars in The Thin Red Line, and thinks to himself, "oh, I can do that". He's actually not too bad as an ersatz Malick, but the influence is clear... lots of reflective voice-over narration, swooping nature shots, slow motion and the like. I admit I hated it at first, because I felt like the film was romanticizing a smug, self-righteous little prick, but eventually Chris McCandless becomes a more sympathetic character who learns a couple of important lessons. The introduction of a few voices of reason definitely helped. What didn't help was Eddie Vedder, whose voice irritates me to no end, though the instrumental scoring was nice. As for the performances, I wasn't terribly impressed, but everyone did a decent job. I liked The Pledge more, but this was okay. I probably wouldn't watch it again. Rating: 7

updated list:

1. Braveheart - It's on 17 lists, it's got to be good, right? I can't imagine myself liking this.

2. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan.

3. Beauty and the Beast - See #2. But the Cocteau film is a favorite, so maybe?

4. The Bourne Ultimatum - I'll watch the second film too, maybe even revisit the first one.

5. Toy Story 3 - Probably would have watched this eventually anyway.

6. The Prestige - I know it's got some kind of twist and I think it has to do with twins.

7. Life is Beautiful - I have such a bad feeling about this.

8. The Green Mile - As I said when I constructed my first list way back, I think I might like it.

10. Aladdin - gently caress me, there's a lot of Disney.

11. The Wrestler - Aronofsky is hit (Fountain) and big, big miss (Requiem) with me. Maybe if I like this one, I'll be more enthused to check out Black Swan.