Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Guerrand posted:

(PC) Looking for arcadey games where I can jump in and shoot bad dudes for a bit.

Examples:
- Playing against bots in CS Source
- SWAT4
- The "clear the map of terrorists" mode in Rainbow Six Vegas
- Unreal Tournament/Q3A

Not looking for: Crimsonland clones.

The old Battlefield games are fun as poo poo. You know, back when you could play with/against bots (so before BF2, not sure what 2142 has to offer in that department 'cause I skipped it). BF1942 has a metric fuckton of awesome mods and Battlefield: Vietnam is extremely underrated, it's actually a lot of fun. Also the Special Ops in CODMW 2 are exactly what you're looking for but at $60 it's drat expensive if that's all you want out of it. SWAT 4 is one of the least-arcadey shooters I can think of so I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

What's Crimsonland? There are Wiki entries in several non-English languages for it. Looks like a top-down shooter?

Daydream posted:

My dad isn't terribly good at games but whenever he played a game it was usually an FPS. Now he's asked me for something less brain dead than a straight up shooter (and I agree, C&C Renegade was brain dead alright). This is where I need some help. Him being 60+ and not very good at games in general gives me trouble finding a game he could enjoy. Something fairly simple and not too talky, which puts RPGs out the window.

So, do you know any dad-games? What does your dad play?

My dad doesn't play video games, but I do have a fortysomething uncle who was actually the one that introduced me to some of my favorite games back in the mid/late 90s. He liked the Civilization series, played the original Dawn of Discovery (called Anno 1602) and gave me Railroad Tycoon II, one of my all-time favorites. Your dad may like tactical wargames like the fantastic Close Combat series or turned based ones like Talonsoft (my uncle liked Rising Sun, among others). In terms of shooters that require more thinking, I'd recommend Bioshock and Crysis (if his system can handle it) and Deus Ex if he can get past the RPG elements.

Ymel posted:

I would like a recommendation for a strategy game (real time or turn based) which focuses on the economic, management and building/expansion side of things rather than combat (no combat would be pretty good but I can tolerate a little).

For reference I am the type of guy who can play Civ IV 20 times on an archipelago setting to avoid coming to contact/going to war with other civs. I tried Tropico lately but it was entirely too easy in that you only had some problems in the very early game and after that you had a pretty much free reign to do as you pleased and it posed no challenge. You would have to consciously cripple your game by making the 'evil' choices to get any problems and even then the money flow you generate in the game could probably take care of that. Furthermore, I would prefer something a bit more complicated, but without it being a straight spreadsheet experience.

I don't mind scale (empire or city building or merchant simulation) or age/graphic sophistication (but not something pixelated or spreadsheet like as I said please) as long as it's sufficiently challenging.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Grand Ages: Rome is a pretty decent city builder on the Tropico 3 engine (came out before that). I'd say it's more complex, but I also played the poo poo out of Tropico 1 and 2 so T3 came pretty easy to me. It's got a mechanic called "flow resourcing" which is very innovative and works well once you get acclimated to it. I think you'll find Tropico 3 a lot more challenging if you play the campaign missions and get Absolute Power, which is now only $10 and adds a fair amount of content for that price. Sandbox mode is pretty easy, so when I play I add a lot of ridiculous conditions like election monitoring, a tiny starting population, low amounts of natural resources like minerals and timber, and whatever the one is that makes people a lot more likely to rebel. If you browse the online scenarios by rating, you'll find there are a few dozen that are extremely well made and present a nice challenge as well. Patrician IV came out recently and is very good, not real-time strategy but more like a trading game. Combat can be avoided pretty easily, and once you make enough money you can build your own buildings. You may be able to establish your own city, but I could be thinking of Port Royale 2, which is an older game in the same vein by the same devs that allows you to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

tolerabletariff posted:

Patrician IV came out recently and is very good, not real-time strategy but more like a trading game. Combat can be avoided pretty easily, and once you make enough money you can build your own buildings. You may be able to establish your own city, but I could be thinking of Port Royale 2, which is an older game in the same vein by the same devs that allows you to do so.
I would not recommend either of those to someone who wishes to avoid spreadsheet the game.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

I don't have any consoles currently, so while I haven't played any Silent Hill or Resident Evil games, I don't think I have the equipment.

Silent Hill 2, 3, 4 and Homecoming were released for PC. I don't know if you can actually find them anywhere, and I don't know if the older ones will run on modern systems, but they're still as creepy as it gets. I've listed them both chronologically and in descending order of creepiness/quality.

Also, Resident Evil 4 & 5 are on PC, but they're more silly than scary from what I've seen.

Another Castle
May 19, 2006

Yo Ton', you see these two guys?
I just beat Shiren the Wanderer on DS for the first time and I had a great time with it. Looks like there's plenty of stuff to do after completing the main story but I feel like I've had my fun with it.
I'm brand new to Roguelikes and I need some direction on where to go next. I (very briefly) tried Nethack long before I ever played Shiren but it seemed really tough to get into.
Here's what I liked about Shiren:

- Getting screwed over in a fair way. There were plenty of wacky ways to die, but I never felt like the game was cheating. It was always either my fault or an unlucky set of circumstances.

- Easy to understand graphics. The screens I see for Nethack and Dwarf Fortress really turn me off. That being said I haven't done a lot of research and i'm sure there's some graphic updates.

- Some progression. I enjoyed upgrading the items and the minor sidequest stuff.

- Playable on a handheld system. This is my preferred way to play jRPGs/longer games nowadays and I think it played a significant part in my enjoyment of Shiren.

I picked up Epic Dungeon from the XBox Indie games and have enjoyed what I've played so far. Any suggestions on where to go next? From what i understand the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games aren't very good (and i'm not really into Pokemon anyway). Thanks!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Are there any recent games that are anything like Capitalism II? I saw it's $9.99 on GOG, but was wondering if I can get a modern alternative elsewhere.
e: spelling

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 9, 2011

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Another Castle posted:

I just beat Shiren the Wanderer on DS for the first time and I had a great time with it. Looks like there's plenty of stuff to do after completing the main story but I feel like I've had my fun with it.
I'm brand new to Roguelikes and I need some direction on where to go next. I (very briefly) tried Nethack long before I ever played Shiren but it seemed really tough to get into.

- Getting screwed over in a fair way. There were plenty of wacky ways to die, but I never felt like the game was cheating. It was always either my fault or an unlucky set of circumstances.

- Easy to understand graphics. The screens I see for Nethack and Dwarf Fortress really turn me off. That being said I haven't done a lot of research and i'm sure there's some graphic updates.

- Some progression. I enjoyed upgrading the items and the minor sidequest stuff.

- Playable on a handheld system. This is my preferred way to play jRPGs/longer games nowadays and I think it played a significant part in my enjoyment of Shiren.

I picked up Epic Dungeon from the XBox Indie games and have enjoyed what I've played so far. Any suggestions on where to go next? From what i understand the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games aren't very good (and i'm not really into Pokemon anyway). Thanks!

I know they're not on handheld but Desktop Dungeons is pretty good, it's a roguelike designed to played in 5 to 15 minuntes and Dungeon Crawl is also good, it has a tileset download so no ascii graphics if you don't like them and it supports the mouse for stuff (as does desktop dungeons actually).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

chitinid posted:

I recently completed Machinarium after buying it as a part of the Humble Indie Bundle 2. I've never been a big fan of point-and-click adventures, however this ended up being an instant favorite. What I really loved about it was how the art really drew you into the game and provided its own atmosphere. Is there anything similar? It doesn't necessarily have to be an adventure game, but it would be nice. :mmmhmm:

I'd recommend Samorost 2 by the creators of Machinarium - it's their earlier game, available on Steam. Unfortunately it's quite short but very enjoyable.

Another one would be Windosill - it's more of an abstract puzzle game but it does have a great charm. It's available on Steam. The downside - even shorter than Samorost 2...

Apart from that there's also Axel and Pixel on Steam but I haven't played it - just looks like something from the same book.

Edit: Oh yeah - if you also accept older titles (immersive dream-like graphics but you know - a little pixelated) there's of course The Neverhood which is a major classic. From other genres (platformers) there are Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus or even Heart of Darkness - I love the last one...

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 9, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Another Castle posted:

Well, there's Izuna and its sequel - both pretty much exactly like Shiren, using the same engine and everything. If you have a flash cart you can also play Powder, a legit roguelike that's been ported to everything. I guess if you're doing homebrew you could just load up Nethack, but like you said it's not very fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chitinid posted:

I recently completed Machinarium after buying it as a part of the Humble Indie Bundle 2. I've never been a big fan of point-and-click adventures, however this ended up being an instant favorite. What I really loved about it was how the art really drew you into the game and provided its own atmosphere. Is there anything similar? It doesn't necessarily have to be an adventure game, but it would be nice. :mmmhmm:

As Paplek suggested check out Samorost 2 but before that, play the first one on their website here, it's the group's first game.

Also check out the Amanita Design's site for other short games made for adverts and such: http://amanita-design.net/

Project Oni
Oct 19, 2007
Fanclub is full
Got some free time ahead of me and need help deciding on a game purchase.

I'm really in the mood for an RTS or an RPG, something I can just relax with. I was looking at Tales of Vesperia, but I have a feeling the JRPG-ness might turn me off (I could barely stand Valkyria Chronicles). Right now, I'm very open to suggestions, but I want something old-timey, all about war and samurai or knights and taverns and some poo poo like that. Something I can really immerse myself into, with a fair amount of story and character development.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
I want to get into the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Or Kings Bounty, whichever ones easier for new people to start with. Any advice on what I should go with?

Another Castle
May 19, 2006

Yo Ton', you see these two guys?

Danger Mahoney posted:

Well, there's Izuna and its sequel - both pretty much exactly like Shiren, using the same engine and everything. If you have a flash cart you can also play Powder, a legit roguelike that's been ported to everything. I guess if you're doing homebrew you could just load up Nethack, but like you said it's not very fun.

Thanks, never heard of Izuna but i'll keep an eye out.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey guys, Im really in need of some help finding rpg's/srpgs/strategy/tactical games.

Ive always been a traditional games guy (board,card,mini-wargaming) and that sort of reflects in my video game tastes. I love stupidly complex combat systems, turn based mechanics, and actual tactical game play.

So my two favorite genres are RPG-like games and strategy games. Typically not grand strategy, more tactical stuff. Any game that hybrids the two is even better...tactical game play with leveling loving owns.

However, up til recently, Ive had a huge aversion to most japanes-ey games. Im not exactly over it, but Im willing to deal with nonsensical plotlines and all the other weird/childish poo poo that comes along with japanese rpgs/strat games if the game is good.

Ive got an old PC and a 360, which I know are lovely platforms for these types of games. That being said, Im trying an s-rpg again with Resonance of Fate, which looks like a baller combat system.

Im willing to add platforms (DS/etc) to my collection if I need to, so recommend me some cool srpgs or any other games you think Id like based on this wall of text.

tl;dr - got over my dislike of anime-ish games and will try basically anything as long as it has deep tactical gameplay elements, including games that look like they are for children or pedophiles

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Cthulu Saves the World for the xbox
King's Bounty for pc

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey guys, Im really in need of some help finding rpg's/srpgs/strategy/tactical games.

Ive always been a traditional games guy (board,card,mini-wargaming) and that sort of reflects in my video game tastes. I love stupidly complex combat systems, turn based mechanics, and actual tactical game play.

So my two favorite genres are RPG-like games and strategy games. Typically not grand strategy, more tactical stuff. Any game that hybrids the two is even better...tactical game play with leveling loving owns.

However, up til recently, Ive had a huge aversion to most japanes-ey games. Im not exactly over it, but Im willing to deal with nonsensical plotlines and all the other weird/childish poo poo that comes along with japanese rpgs/strat games if the game is good.

Ive got an old PC and a 360, which I know are lovely platforms for these types of games. That being said, Im trying an s-rpg again with Resonance of Fate, which looks like a baller combat system.

Im willing to add platforms (DS/etc) to my collection if I need to, so recommend me some cool srpgs or any other games you think Id like based on this wall of text.

tl;dr - got over my dislike of anime-ish games and will try basically anything as long as it has deep tactical gameplay elements, including games that look like they are for children or pedophiles

You really want Tactics Ogre. It's an extremely deep and substantial game, and is one of the few Japanese games I've played that has a genuinely excellent plot. It's only been released on the PS1 in the US, and that's long since become a collector's item, but the original SNES version has been fan-translated, and you can emulate it.

If you were to get a PSP and wait a month or two, there's an excellent-looking remake coming out. I wouldn't recommend a PSP to most people, but it's actually a really good system for SRPGs in general (just off the top of my head, you've also got Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, Disgaea, and Z.H.P.), and I think you'd be really happy with it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 11, 2011

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

PaintVagrant posted:

On the PC end you can't beat X-COM and Jagged Alliance. Jagged Alliance 2 is made even more complex when using the fan-made 1.13 patch, which you absolutely should use.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Which is the best Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman/What Did I do to Deserve this my Lord? (2)/No heroes Allowed to get? Is it one of those skip to the end because it's just the first game but improved things or play through the first games or you won't get it?

I know the US UMD version of the 2nd game has the 1st included with it but I know the EUR version doesn't for some insane reason so that's that idea out the window.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Eggn0g posted:

I want to get into the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Or Kings Bounty, whichever ones easier for new people to start with. Any advice on what I should go with?

It depends on whether you prefer 4x games or RPGs. The HOMM series has the preference for former and has city-building and juggling armies between them, while KB only focuses on your hero and his troops and leans more for the latter with quests, dialogue and such. HOMM campaigns are probably easier as they pioneered the genre, but then again you get to deal with bullshit like one-way teleporters from enemy base to your hometown.

PaintVagrant posted:

King's Bounty series is tailor-made for you.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Hey guys.

I really suck at researching this kind of thing so I thought I would post here. Me and my friends are looking for a really fun and addictive multiplayer game. Here are a few things we are looking for (and some things we want to avoid).

Wants:
- PC or XBox 360
- Old or New
- MMOs and non-MMOs are both great(see below for exceptions)
- Something that will last (i.e. not just some short co-op campaign)
- If an MMO, I'd like it to have a good community
- Leveling-up would be nice or some kind of reward system as you progress
- The fun factor is a biggy, though at the same time I don't mind a hardcore gaming atmosphere. We get frustrated at games like CoD.
- A polished game would be preferable!
- Would prefer something other than a FPS, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Stuff we want to avoid:
- No Call of Duty
- No World of Warcraft, Warhammer or anything that's VERY similar.

Sorry if it's a very general list, but it's all I got! Thanks in advance :)

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 11, 2011

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

ChikoDemono posted:

Cthulu Saves the World for the xbox
King's Bounty for pc

Rollersnake posted:

You really want Tactics Ogre. It's an extremely deep and substantial game, and is one of the few Japanese games I've played that has a genuinely excellent plot. It's only been released on the PS1 in the US, and that's long since become a collector's item, but the original SNES version has been fan-translated, and you can emulate it.

If you were to get a PSP and wait a month or two, there's an excellent-looking remake coming out. I wouldn't recommend a PSP to most people, but it's actually a really good system for SRPGs in general (just off the top of my head, you've also got Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, Disgaea, and Z.H.P.), and I think you'd be really happy with it.

Ive played through fftactics back in the day, I never got too far in tactics ogre. Ill give it another look. I appreciate the advice about the PSP, I havent paid much attention to it since it came out, but it sounds like handhelds might be the way to go if I want to play SRPG type games.

Jive One posted:

On the PC end you can't beat X-COM and Jagged Alliance. Jagged Alliance 2 is made even more complex when using the fan-made 1.13 patch, which you absolutely should use.

Played them both, they are both awesome. Good recommendations, thanks guys

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

vandelay industries posted:

Hey guys.

I really suck at researching this kind of thing so I thought I would post here. Me and my friends are looking for a really fun and addictive multiplayer game. Here are a few things we are looking for (and some things we want to avoid).

Wants:
- PC or XBox 360
- Old or New
- The fun factor is a biggy, though at the same time I don't mind a hardcore gaming atmosphere. We get frustrated at games like CoD.
- Would prefer something other than a FPS, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Stuff we want to avoid:
- No Call of Duty

The absolute most fun I've had with friends playing multiplayer games long-term has been with Everquest 2, League of Legends, and Titan Quest.

EQ2 is very polished, expansive, and while the player base is nowhere the size of WoW, most people are older and more mature. Groups are easy to come by, and there are cool dungeons to go through the second you leave the noobie area. I guess this is a game that's similar to WoW, but only on paper in that its a fantasy MMO.

League of Legends is FREE and an awesome DOTA-clone. Massive replay value. You can enter 5v5 or 3v3 games as a group, and teams that know each other tend to do very, very well.

Titan Quest is my personal fave although I'm not sure why. Its just a Diablo-clone based in mythology. There's a lot of class combinations, multiplayer scales and functions well, and the co-op campaign including the expansion is long enough. It would be worth 5 bucks if you guys were looking to kill a few cases of beer and a few nights.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

From Earth posted:

Silent Hill 2, 3, 4 and Homecoming were released for PC. I don't know if you can actually find them anywhere, and I don't know if the older ones will run on modern systems, but they're still as creepy as it gets. I've listed them both chronologically and in descending order of creepiness/quality.

Also, Resident Evil 4 & 5 are on PC, but they're more silly than scary from what I've seen.

That's very interesting, I sorta assumed they were exclusively console because I've never heard anyone mention PC versions. Thanks for the heads up.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Hey guys.

Wants:
- PC or XBox 360
- Old or New

Stuff we want to avoid:
- No Call of Duty

I assume you're not interested in Halo either then? The best multiplayer game that comes to me would be Diablo/Diablo 2. D2 has a huge active community and the gameplay is addictive. There are a few conversion mods out there too (Eastern Sun is supposed to be pretty good), plus the sequel should be out this year which is going to be even better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hey guys.

Wants:
- PC or XBox 360
- Old or New

Stuff we want to avoid:
- No Call of Duty

How about Dawn of War 2? It's like an RTS fused with Diablo. In co-op, you're given control over two small squads of guys each, and you micro them intensely. There's loot to find and levels to obtain, a lot of tactics and co-ordination between the two of you, and towards the end of the game you turn into total bad-asses. It's a hell of a lot of fun to play co-op. The expansion is also a lot of fun (but kinda short), and carries your save over.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How about Dawn of War 2? It's like an RTS fused with Diablo. In co-op, you're given control over two small squads of guys each, and you micro them intensely. There's loot to find and levels to obtain, a lot of tactics and co-ordination between the two of you, and towards the end of the game you turn into total bad-asses. It's a hell of a lot of fun to play co-op. The expansion is also a lot of fun (but kinda short), and carries your save over.

After you're done with the campaign, you still have normal versus multiplayer with up to 3 players per side. Furthermore, there is also Last Stand where each player controls a hero and you have to survive waves of CPU-controlled units. The neat thing there is that your hero levels up and gains equipment which is both persistent.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Hey guys.

Wants:
- PC or XBox 360
- Old or New

Stuff we want to avoid:
- No Call of Duty

I don't know how 'not WoW like' you wanna get, but you might wanna try Dungeons and Dragons Online. It plays like WoW if WoW was 98% about the tons of scripted dungeons and cooperation between your party members in those dungeons,so really not much like WoW. Its also F2P (for the most part), if you wanna check it out first.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I am going to try out:
- Dungeons and Dragons online
- Dawn of War 2
- Titan Quest
- EQ2

The rest of the suggestions (Halo, League of Legends, Diablo 2) I've already tried. I'm still open to anything else though!

EDIT: Any XBOX 360 game suggestions?

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 11, 2011

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

The rest of the suggestions (Halo, League of Legends, Diablo 2) I've already tried. I'm still open to anything else though!

Try Altitude. It's a cartoony ariel combat game that is actually pretty fun. There are a varied game modes, perks and leveling, and new planes unlocked as you level up. With friends, I bet it's much better as you coordinate wins. There's also a thread here about it.

Unfortunately, it isn't that much of a timesink, but it can eat a few hours. And there's a demo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

ChikoDemono posted:

Try Altitude. It's a cartoony ariel combat game that is actually pretty fun. There are a varied game modes, perks and leveling, and new planes unlocked as you level up. With friends, I bet it's much better as you coordinate wins. There's also a thread here about it.

Unfortunately, it isn't that much of a timesink, but it can eat a few hours. And there's a demo.

Speak for yourself, Ive sunk almost 600 hours into Altitude :v:

Im obsessed with Ball, its basically an extremely competitive team sport that happens to have little pew pew airplanes.

Same nick as SA if you see me playing Altitude

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just beat Shadow Complex and Castlevania: SotN on the 360.

Are there any similar games (XBLA or otherwise) on the xbox? How is Darksiders?

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

fadam posted:

I just beat Shadow Complex and Castlevania: SotN on the 360.

Are there any similar games (XBLA or otherwise) on the xbox? How is Darksiders?

Darksiders is the best Zelda game you'll get from a company that isn't Nintendo, and that's not a bad thing. The structure is borrowed from Zelda (differen't themed dungeons, boomerang ripoff, hookshot etc), the combat is Devil May Cry/God Of War, the QTE = 1 goddamn button (yaay) and the variety is nice, as are the different power-ups (hello portal gun ripoff). The thing is it's all mashed together in such a way that the sum experience ends up being greater than each individual part. It's a poo poo ton of fun and I would definitely recommend it.

I'm not sure if Aquaria is available on the 360 but it's a pretty solid underwater Metroidvania game.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm throwing a LAN party this weekend with a few friends who generally don't play games except at the LAN party. With that in mind, I'm looking for a couple of suggestions:

1. Any non-FPS game that's relatively easy to get into. I've suggested World in Conflict, but any other ideas would be appreciated.

2. Any games that support multiplayer for more than 8 people, preferably co-op multiplayer but it's not a necessity.

3. Newer games that don't require weird Internet matchmaking. Our host has limited network bandwidth and avoiding touching the Internet would be good.

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

I've been playing way too much TF2 and COD:BLOPS and I'm looking for something new. I was a big RTCW, ET:RTCW and ET:QW gamer and I'd like to get back into the medic role. My computer can't handle the BF:BC2, though. Is there any other FPS games for PC, or 360, that let you play a fun support role in multiplayer?

I've played out City of Heroes and EQ2 & WoW never caught my attention but I'd be interested in non-FPS games that let you have fun with support, too.

Any help would be awesome.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

fadam posted:

How is Darksiders?

Awesome. Loved the art direction, btw.

I just finished Gray Matter and looking for something similar. Never played Gabriel Knight games, heard they're (even) better, so I'll already have those on my list. Few other adventures I played and liked:

Syberia
Still Life
Tunguska: Secret Files

The recommendations should be in same vein as those above, but I'm not gonna refuse anything as long as it's not too different.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Harcourt posted:

I've been playing way too much TF2 and COD:BLOPS and I'm looking for something new. I was a big RTCW, ET:RTCW and ET:QW gamer and I'd like to get back into the medic role. My computer can't handle the BF:BC2, though. Is there any other FPS games for PC, or 360, that let you play a fun support role in multiplayer?

I've played out City of Heroes and EQ2 & WoW never caught my attention but I'd be interested in non-FPS games that let you have fun with support, too.

Any help would be awesome.

BF2 is still fairly active, and I would say that the medic role in that game is far more intense than any other game I've played. The medic in BF:BC2 isn't as important due to health regen and the fact that you can spawn on any squadmate. In BF2 you can only spawn on your squad leader, and you don't have health regen.

If you can find a good guild, the PvP in guildwars in really fun for healers.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Addendum to my question above:

1. How is Dawn of War 2 for multiplayer? Is it pretty easy for someone used to, say, Warlords Battlecry to get used to playing? Or is the learning curve crappy.

2. Are there any free-to-play MMOs out there now that are decent for more than 5 people to play cooperatively?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What multiplayer games have the best player matchmaking? I like the idea of playing competitive games, but every time I play with people who aren't my friends (of which I have few who are regularly available to play at the same time) I usually have a pretty terrible time due to my sucking terribly.

I don't really care what genre we're talking about; I like 'em all. I'd just like to have a few games I could play every so often and reliably get put into matches with people around my own skill level.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Looking for the best game to play on my gba emulator with xbox360 controller?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I am going to try out:
- Dungeons and Dragons online
- Dawn of War 2
- Titan Quest
- EQ2

EDIT: Any XBOX 360 game suggestions?

Seconding the recommendation for EQ2, it's great if you have some friends to play with. Check out the quest timeline and the dungeon timeline to get an idea of what there is in this game and remember that that is only a small part of the content. There is a bit of a learning curve (mostly because it's not WoW) but it's not bad and you don't need to know anything to jump in and play. The biggest problem is that there are 24 classes and you have to decide what you want to play. (BTW it's Tank/Healer/Melee/Caster each with and good and evil version of 3 archetypes so it's 4 x 3 x 2 = 24 so it's not too bad to narrow it down if you have an idea of what you want to do.) There is an EQ2 thread if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm looking for a business tycoon game of some sort. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll probably know it when I find it. Here's two games I think I'd like to play:

For the first game, I would love to take a city from Simcity 4, and stop being mayor and become a real-estate mogul, buying buildings throughout the city and collecting rent, and then buying bigger and nicer buildings when I get rich.

For the second game, I think that I am looking for a hardcore spreadsheet game. Something in which I can find quantitative strategies and turn money into more money. I want a game in which I use investments to become rich. I want to focus more on the investing and less on details of buildings or whatever (i.e. not Roller Coaster Tycoon).

If these two games are one in the same, great. Either one would probably satisfy what I'm looking for. Also, it's probably fine if they're a browser game, as long as they're deep enough. Farmville is not the answer.