Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Im still getting those horizontal bars where the video seems to skips. I dont know how else to explain it.

Turning off vertical blank sync has helped a little, but its still fairly noticeable.

Im running the newest XBMC on ubuntu 10.04.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
it's called tearing. try changing the refresh rate and resolution to the native refresh rate and resolution of your display.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
OK, so I'm going to get a new video card so my Linux HTPC can run VDPAU, but I need a 4x AGP low-profile video card (which limits my options quite a bit). I found this video card on Newegg, but has anyone ever heard of Jaton? It shouldn't matter much, since I'll have to use the Nvidia Linux drivers for it, anyway...

Right? :unsmith:

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
I don't think a Geforce 6200 even supports VDPAU. I'm pretty sure you need an 8-series or newer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stray posted:

OK, so I'm going to get a new video card so my Linux HTPC can run VDPAU, but I need a 4x AGP low-profile video card (which limits my options quite a bit). I found this video card on Newegg, but has anyone ever heard of Jaton? It shouldn't matter much, since I'll have to use the Nvidia Linux drivers for it, anyway...

Right? :unsmith:

They're an official nVidia partner and they have decent newegg reviews, so you should be fine.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

evilalien posted:

I don't think a Geforce 6200 even supports VDPAU. I'm pretty sure you need an 8-series or newer.
poo poo, you're right. God dammit!

Well, I guess that pretty much rules this machine out as an XBMC box. Looks like I'll have to save up for a Revo.

stray fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 31, 2010

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I bought a GT430 to get DVXA and some other features, and they almost fixed the silent stream bug with this card/driver. When I play HD movies/shows and pause, the audio still sends the signal so I don't have to wait for the receiver to click over when I resume the video. Unfortunately, it still happens with music (and I'm assuming SD files) but I can live with that since 90% of what we watch nowadays is HD.

Now I just gotta figure out how to quiet this beast down. I'm really eying a SSD drive (like this) because I think it's my old 80gb SATA drive that's making the noise. Either that or the PSU fan. Any tips for general noise reduction?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there a way to get the Revo 3700 without Windows 7 and save money? I've been thinking about getting a Revo for a long while now but the cost is a tiny bit high for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Is there a way to get the Revo 3700 without Windows 7 and save money? I've been thinking about getting a Revo for a long while now but the cost is a tiny bit high for me.

They sold a Linux version in the UK, but if you're in the US it's probably not worth it to ship. It's only about $40 cheaper at current conversion rates.

I couldn't find one in the US.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

mastershakeman posted:

There are plenty of other low-power nettops with the same ION chipset that makes the Revo appealing for an HTPC. The Zotac MAG, which ships without an OS, for example. There are also a number of barebones solutions if you want to shop around for deals on ram and a disk.

The Revo was popular because the r1600 and r3610 came out at a good pricepoint, but both are nearly impossible to find now.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Every now and then when I watch full screen videos in youtube on my Revo, there is an annoying white flicker on the screen. This seems to be intermittent and it is kinda driving me nuts. Are there any fixes for this? My video card drivers and Flash are both up to date.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

maverick99 posted:

Every now and then when I watch full screen videos in youtube on my Revo, there is an annoying white flicker on the screen. This seems to be intermittent and it is kinda driving me nuts. Are there any fixes for this? My video card drivers and Flash are both up to date.

Try turning off "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" in Nvidia Control Panel -> Video Color Settings -> Advanced.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

wolfbiker posted:

it's called tearing. try changing the refresh rate and resolution to the native refresh rate and resolution of your display.

Ok, I set my nvidia settings to match the native resolution and refresh rate to that of my TV and video play back is better. Still tears tho, not much but enough that it catches my eyes. Its definitely XBMC tho, video seems fine using VLC.

Also - Im at an impasse. I love using linux, but Im starting the think that maybe I should use windows 7 for my HTPC. I used to use it and video seemed better (no tearing), and I could use netflix. My roommate isnt very tech savvy and Id like simplify things as much as possible, right now she has to use our wii and change inputs on the tv and poo poo.

The problem is that I have about a TB of media stored on a ext3 file system and thats going to be a pain in the rear end. I also love sshing in and messing around with stuff. Are there any plans to bring Netflix support to linux?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Do you still have Vsync off? You are obviously going to have tearing unless you turn it on.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

evilalien posted:

Try turning off "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" in Nvidia Control Panel -> Video Color Settings -> Advanced.

Unfortunately, it was already turned off. Any other ideas?

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

maverick99 posted:

Unfortunately, it was already turned off. Any other ideas?

I saw a post in my travels regarding Ubuntu desktop effects causing issues with video. Try turning them off if you're using ubuntu.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Cream posted:

I saw a post in my travels regarding Ubuntu desktop effects causing issues with video. Try turning them off if you're using ubuntu.

I'm not using ubuntu; however, I think I fixed the problem. I turned off hardware acceleration in the flash settings and that seemed to do the trick. Hopefully that is! :)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Is it possible to get a full-featured nettop that comfortably plays back 720p or 1080p streaming video for much less than $320 total? This Dell looks like the best, with the $23 X2 processor upgrade; the only one that seems at all comparable in value seems to be this eMachine, though that's only 1-core. Everything else around the $300 and less mark seems to be barebones, missing memory and/or HDD and/or OS.

Are there any options out there that I've missed? This is for a grandparent looking to mostly check emails and watch TV/movies, so the simpler everything can be, the better.

Not a Crazy
Mar 30, 2010
I am in need of some advice on an HTPC I'm thinking of building. I currently have an Intel D510M0 board I got stuck with. I can still send it back to Amazon if i choose to, but I was wondering if this could be a low powered netflix/hulu machine for my living room.

For the build I would need a PCI video card, probly a geforce 8400gs and a dvi to hdmi adapter. With 2-3 gb of ram would this thing be capable of HD? My current TV is 720, but I may move up to 1080 in the future. Also, would this even be worth it over plan B, which is a Sempron 145 with one of the recommended hd4200 boards?

Hopefully you folks can help me decide on this, because I cant.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

rugbert posted:

Are there any plans to bring Netflix support to linux?

hahahahahaha, the answer to this is "never," unless it's a completely locked down environment a la a set top box of some kind.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
To answer the Netflix in Linux, can you run Silverlight and IE in Wine and emulate Windows enough to run it?

EDIT: From the Netflix API Thread:
http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/49086

Looks like licensing restrictions.

Also, I love all the people piping up about how Linux is the OS of the future. I don't know why, but OS band-wagoning all ways cracks me up.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 4, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been having a helluva time with my HTPC lately. I finally got my graphics driver problem sorted, and the wireless adapter started screwing up big time. I'm hoping a new installation on the SSD I'll be picking up next week will help out.

Ahahahha yes now the Nvidia Control Panel just instantly crashes when I try to access it. Hope I don't need to do that any time soon!

EC fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2011

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
This has been my first foray into a proper TV and HTPC and I'm slightly confused about one issue.

I have a 50pk550 plasma hooked up to a 2010 mac mini via HDMI. Apple's display settings has three options for refresh rates: 24hz, 30hz, and 60hz. Any reason not to set it, and keep it, at 60hz? What happens when I play a 1080p 24fps source (like a mkv movie or something)?

I'm using plex for what it's worth, and I'm not sure if Plex will change the refresh rate to match the source.

I could be completely off base though.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

mik posted:

I have a 50pk550 plasma hooked up to a 2010 mac mini via HDMI. Apple's display settings has three options for refresh rates: 24hz, 30hz, and 60hz. Any reason not to set it, and keep it, at 60hz? What happens when I play a 1080p 24fps source (like a mkv movie or something)?

You end up with 3:2 pulldown which some people don't like since it can be noticeably jittery on slow pans or if something is moving across the screen at a constant speed. Most people don't really notice the visual problems 3:2 pulldown creates though, so feel free to keep it at 60hz if it doesn't bother you.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Are there any preferred plugins for emulation in XBMC? I installed Launcher from the Dharma menu, and got it to run DEFCON just fine, but I'm not really digging its interface in the default skin (which I DO really like.) The other options seem to be Advanced Launcher, or the ROM Browser plugin, which I tried and couldn't get to work right at all.

Is it just going to be a matter of screwing around until I find something that works OK for what I want to do, or is there a great plugin someone would recommend?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Out of all of them, Advanced Launcher was the easiest for me to get up and running. It did takes some tweaking to get the emulators to load and run, but otherwise the plugin itself runs fine. I'm still holding out for automatic scraping, though, which is the only feature it's missing at the moment.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

evilalien posted:

Do you still have Vsync off? You are obviously going to have tearing unless you turn it on.

if Vsynch is Vertical Blank Synch then its turned on in my nvidia graphic settings, but its off in XBMC. It WAS on in XBMC but when i tried turning it off it's pretty much gone. I only really notice it when Im in the XBMC UI and not while watching video.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What's a good short HTPC case? I like the Antec NSK1480, but the price is a bit high and the reviews for the proprietary PSU are not very assuring. I normally use Antec cases but with the 1480's problems and the 2480 being too tall since I don't need a full height video card, but since I already have a spare PSU, I'm willing to look else where.

I'm doing the AM2/AM3 DDR2/DDR3 shuffle, so I'll probably end up with an X2, 785G and 4GB of DDR2. Should I have any problems playing 1080P through XBMC on Win7?

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
I'm planning out a new home theater of sorts and wanted to cut out the TV from my TimeWarner bill, relying on just the internet/Boxee.

I'm not the only person in my house, so I wanted to set up an HTPC that can also be used as a media server at the same time someone is watching Boxee. I don't care if any media server transfers doesn't go as fast as it could while it's also being used on the TV, but I want Boxee to perform well as much as possible (I realize it won't be all the time if the same hard drive is being used and so forth).

I was looking at a Zotac nettop PC with the nVidia ION 2 and some dual core Atom processor. I like that it has a very small power draw, but from the reviews I've read it seemed to have trouble running even Netflix in HD. That kind of worries me if it can handle everything else I plan to throw at it while it serves as a Boxee box.

Would I be better off trying to build my own HTPC with a more powerful processor? Which processor would be suited to do what I want? I don't know how well the Core i3's perform. Could I get some mobo that has ION2 on it but allow me to use a regular desktop proc?

Thanks guys.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My adventures in HTPC hardware continued over the weekend. A friend came over and ran a cable from my HTPC to my server, so now I can finally move off of wifi and get connected to my gigabit network. I didn't have a chance to move over until the next morning, and immediately ran into problems. Every time I tried streaming a movie or copying a file from the server, I would either lose connection to the network or the HTPC would freeze entirely. I tried everything:

- Reinstalling the NIC drivers
- Updating the NIC drivers
- Switching over to wifi (no problems there, just obviously slower)
- Connected a laptop to the same cable as the HTPC to rule out possible cabling issues or a bad port on the switch
- Updating the BIOS of the mobo

Nothing worked. I eventually just ran out to Best Buy and bought a new NIC, and that worked fine. Everything ran exactly as expected, and I was finally able to stream 1080p content from my server without stuttering.

I'll be doing a system reinstall on a new SSD drive sometime this week, so I'm hopeful that it'll get fixed, but it's really frustrating that the onboard NIC doesn't work. It worked fine at my last house, but that was all 100mb, not gigabit.

@ShinAli: is there a reason you want your HTPC to act as a server as well? Why not build an actual server hidden away in a closet and then use low power boxes to stream your media?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

EC posted:

Out of all of them, Advanced Launcher was the easiest for me to get up and running. It did takes some tweaking to get the emulators to load and run, but otherwise the plugin itself runs fine. I'm still holding out for automatic scraping, though, which is the only feature it's missing at the moment.

I spent some quality time with Advanced Launcher over the weekend and it's not bad once you learn the ins and outs. Setting up games to run off the desktop is pretty easy, but the first NES emulator I tried (Nestopia) just didn't work at all. The second one ended up being OK but it won't scrape right so I have to add ROMs 1 at a time - not bad since I only have about 20 of them, but for any more than that I'd probably be pulling my teeth out.

Tonight I'm going to try to get some old point-and-click Sierra games working and see if I can get it to work right with Steam games.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

EC posted:

@ShinAli: is there a reason you want your HTPC to act as a server as well? Why not build an actual server hidden away in a closet and then use low power boxes to stream your media?

This is what I did and I couldn't be happier. Build/buy a storage box of some kind and run some ethernet for the boxee box to access the media. Boxee box bugs aside, I have no issues with performance whatsoever and I don't have to dick around with it for hours to get it to work.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Peas and Rice posted:

Tonight I'm going to try to get some old point-and-click Sierra games working and see if I can get it to work right with Steam games.

I'd love to hear what you come up with. My HTPC happens to my most powerful system in the house, and I'd love to see if I could get some of these Steam games working on it that aren't available on the consoles.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

EC posted:

Mostly to save cost. There would be only one actual TV in the house; the house is too small to put any more in, so I want to set it up as a storage/media server as well whenever we aren't using the home theater.

Maybe I can try to find out how to give boxee priority in any drive access before anything else, but it's okay if it's something I can't really avoid. All I'm really looking for is a powerful enough box that can handle anything I throw at it media wise and a little more. I'm cool with building my own.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
I recently purchased a REVO 6310. I have an issue where after coming out of sleep there will be no sound. There are two ways to fix this, one is to restart and the other is to unplug and replug the HDMI cable. Anyone else have this issue?

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
I have had the same problem, it doesn't do it often enough to where I have been able to pinpoint exactly what makes it happen.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cream posted:

I recently purchased a REVO 6310. I have an issue where after coming out of sleep there will be no sound. There are two ways to fix this, one is to restart and the other is to unplug and replug the HDMI cable. Anyone else have this issue?

I have the same thing on my desktop, or at least I've just developed it in the last month or so. Maybe it's a Win7 problem? It doesn't happen every time, as Traxxus mentioned.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Nvidia cards through HDMI?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Cream posted:

Nvidia cards through HDMI?

I'm running Linux/xbmc on my Revo through hdmi and I don't have THAT audio problem (although I have others)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
A friend has a Revo that I setup for him, which is connected to his receiver via HDMI. Anytime he switches the receiver to another input, it screws up XBMC's resolution. If the receiver is on a different input long enough, the Revo apparently goes to sleep. I have to hit the power button to get it to come back on. I've disabled all of the Windows hibernation/screensaver stuff, but it still happens. Any clue as to what I can do to fix it? I set up a button on his remote that just toggles XBMC full screen and then back, which fixes it, but I'd rather have a better solution.