Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

YOU CAN'T GIVE BLOWJOBS TO WOMEN

anyway i have a job now - proper full time with health insurance and everything. $41k a year but I don't take my work home with me and it beats the $0k a year I was making as a lawyer so SUCK IT LAW, I'M OUT

didn't need a J.D. for this but whatever I have it now and I'm happy about it

I hope you learned your lesson.

(What was it?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I come not for taco chat, but for lawoffice management chat:

My office uses these loving things. They are retarded, expensive, and messy. My boss won't let me handwrite them either, I have to use a godforsaken typewriter. ETA because the partners and the senior secretary are all loving old and resistant to change on top of nickel and diming every goddamn purchase, we don't get the ones you can use with a printer.

This can't be what new attorneys are doing for file management. Please tell me it isn't.

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 8, 2011

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

My grades were stellar last semester, apparently, unless I bomb the one class I'm waiting on for a grade it was my best semester yet. I virtually never went to those classes, at the end skipping them because I didn't know where we were in the book so I couldn't prepare.

Well, it's not looking good for my attendance for my final semester.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

billion dollar bitch posted:

In absentia what's your gchat? Your email isn't in your profile.

peterk13 is my gmail / gchat. I have company this weekend and might not be on chat much before Monday.

I would say securities regulation would be helpful beforehand just so you have some of the core terminology. Of course, I didn't do this and instead sort of flipped through a study aid. That was more than enough, really.

Also, yes, DC is more likely to get you a job, followed by NY, and somewhat distantly by Chicago. Any other region is close to 0%.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Lilosh posted:

Cornell grades posted today!

Two A, two A-, and the requisite B+ in our LRW class (which pretty much everyone gets a B+ in).

Looking at the cutoffs from the previous years, this should be enough to hit the top 10%. I'm noting this moment, because I imagine this might be the highlight of law school.

Congrats! In sadder news, it is a beautiful Saturday in Atlanta and I am reading about administrative law.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

evilweasel posted:

My grades were stellar last semester, apparently, unless I bomb the one class I'm waiting on for a grade it was my best semester yet. I virtually never went to those classes, at the end skipping them because I didn't know where we were in the book so I couldn't prepare.

Well, it's not looking good for my attendance for my final semester.

Ugh when did you get your grades? Don't they have some kind of deadline or something?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

prussian advisor posted:

Ugh when did you get your grades? Don't they have some kind of deadline or something?

I got one a week ago and two today. And sure, they've got a deadline, but it's not like anyone is going to hold them to it or anything.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Lilosh posted:

Cornell grades posted today!

Two A, two A-, and the requisite B+ in our LRW class (which pretty much everyone gets a B+ in).

Looking at the cutoffs from the previous years, this should be enough to hit the top 10%. I'm noting this moment, because I imagine this might be the highlight of law school.

Congrats man, really good work.

In sadder news, I'm writing a paper for Contemporary Con Law instead of being glued to the tube for the Seahawks game. Why did I choose this class you might ask? Because I'm a glutton for punishment with delusions of grandeur that I'll get a clerkship.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chakron posted:

I hope you learned your lesson.

(What was it?)

The lesson is to not have gone to law school

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Save me jeebus posted:

My office uses these loving things. They are retarded, expensive, and messy. My boss won't let me handwrite them either, I have to use a godforsaken typewriter. ETA because the partners and the senior secretary are all loving old and resistant to change on top of nickel and diming every goddamn purchase, we don't get the ones you can use with a printer.

This can't be what new attorneys are doing for file management. Please tell me it isn't.

These suck. My firm uses a set up sheet that looks something like that but I handwrite it. Juris Suite is our timekeeping software which beats the everliving poo poo out of keeping time by hand. Worldox is our file management software, which I don't like but which is good enough I guess.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

YOU CAN'T GIVE BLOWJOBS TO WOMEN

anyway i have a job now - proper full time with health insurance and everything. $41k a year but I don't take my work home with me and it beats the $0k a year I was making as a lawyer so SUCK IT LAW, I'M OUT

didn't need a J.D. for this but whatever I have it now and I'm happy about it

Dude that is great news, congratulations!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Defleshed posted:

Dude that is great news, congratulations!
This is the new reality. A recent law school graduate lands a $40k/yr job that has nothing to do with law and gets sincerely congratulated for it.

Wish I had that job, seriouspost.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Linguica posted:

This is the new reality. A recent law school graduate lands a $40k/yr job that has nothing to do with law and gets sincerely congratulated for it.

Wish I had that job, seriouspost.

Not that recent, I had 17 months of unemployment first

My first order of business is to pay back my mom for all those months she bailed me out on my rent

AND I'M HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO DO IT

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Not that recent, I had 17 months of unemployment first

My first order of business is to pay back my mom for all those months she bailed me out on my rent

AND I'M HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO DO IT

How bad are your student loan monthly payments?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ganon posted:

How bad are your student loan monthly payments?

Currently I have $50,000 owed to access group in private loans; I pay them $336 a month, though I think that's scheduled to increase gradually (I really should look into it). My $100k in federal debt is IBR'd so it's...well I guess I have to call them and tell them I have a job now

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock
The New York Times posted an article today that basically condenses this thread into a news format.

I had read this thread back when I was considering law school (I decided to get a job right out of college instead), but I never knew the extent to which law schools actively and shamelessly manage their statistics and rankings. The NYT article uncovers some pretty shameful poo poo.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

quote:

WHEN he start in 2006, Michael Wallerstein knew little about the Thomas Jefferson School of Law, other than that it was in San Diego, which seemed like a fine place to spend three years.

. . . .

MR. WALLERSTEIN, for his part, is not complaining. Once you throw in the intangibles of having a J.D., he says, he is one of law schools’ satisfied customers.

“It’s a prestige thing,” he says. “I’m an attorney. All of my friends see me as a person they look up to. They understand I’m in a lot of debt, but I’ve done something they feel they could never do and the respect and admiration is important.”
:suicide:

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Save me jeebus posted:

I don't know anyone that uses those. I use Clio (cloud based) for my practice management suite, which is awesome, but still has a ways to go before it does everything. Clio is designed for solo firms and small firms of 10 or so, but honestly if there's more than 5 attorneys or so the cost becomes prohibitive since it's on a subscription basis on a per-attorney/staff basis.

TimeMatters was bought by Lexis a while ago and is probably the most comprehensive, but it isn't cloud-based (yet). TimeMatters apparently does awesome stuff like let you set up scripts to put every e-mail from a client into their folder and pdf it. I want to set up some good systems as I go forward, but that poo poo takes a lot of time.

edit: just thank your lucky stars that you don't do client conflict checks on an index card system. I know some older attorneys who do exactly that.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Linguica posted:

:suicide:

It's sort of unfortunate that they chose someone who is obviously very very dumb to be their poster child for the law school debt problem. But still a pretty good article. Fairly thorough.

Another highlight, clarifying how someone can rack up $250k in debt:

quote:

WHEN Mr. Wallerstein started at Thomas Jefferson, he was in no mood for austerity. He borrowed so much that before the start of his first semester he nearly put a down payment on a $350,000 two-bedroom, two-bath condo, figuring that the investment would earn a profit by the time he graduated.

[...]

Instead, Mr. Wallerstein rented a spacious apartment. He also spent a month studying in the South of France and a month in Prague — all on borrowed money. There were cost-of-living loans, and tuition of about $33,000 a year. Later came a $15,000 loan to cover months of studying for the bar.

[...]

Today, his best guess is that he should be sending $2,000 to $3,000 a month in total, to lenders that include Wells Fargo, Citibank and Sallie Mae.

“There are a bunch of others,” he says. “I’m not really good at keeping records.”

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I've been screaming about data exaggeration for seven years now. Just now the Times figures it out? Jesus.

quote:

Solving the J.D. overabundance problem, according to Professor Henderson, will have to involve one very drastic measure: a bunch of lower-tier law schools will need to close. But nobody inside of the legal establishment, he predicts, has the stomach for that. “Ultimately,” he says, “some public authority will have to step in because law schools and lawyers are incapable of policing themselves.”

Or, how about going all Cali, and not making law school mandatory? It's getting obvious that you can learn in one summer all you need to know, and you learn more in the first 6 months on the job than you ever would over the three years, so save law school for those who are going for the extra training in specialized areas.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

mushi posted:

edit: just thank your lucky stars that you don't do client conflict checks on an index card system. I know some older attorneys who do exactly that.

Jesus. We actually use TimeSlips for tracking of billables, but use the LawDex carbon copies for physical file creation, plus I send the blue copy to the bookkeeper for her work, which is primarily in PeachTree. I do very little on the financial end, outside of looking up balances for clients or entering my boss' time.

I confess I don't know a whole lot about how to manage a small law firm but it seems awfully more fractured than it ought to be to me, and frankly as a Cold Y the concept of carbon copies in a modern office just blows my little mind. I doubt I could sell the other partners on a different system (Read: old and set in their ways) but my boss is pretty open to new things. It's getting the others to follow suit that's difficult.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Abugadu posted:

Or, how about going all Cali, and not making law school mandatory? It's getting obvious that you can learn in one summer all you need to know, and you learn more in the first 6 months on the job than you ever would over the three years, so save law school for those who are going for the extra training in specialized areas.

That sounds like a pretty roundabout way of dealing with the problem. Is the idea that people would then abandon getting JDs and most schools would go out of business? Would firms hire people who didn't go to law school? I'm not sure.

I think something needs to change in the way that huge loans are given to people who are barely adults. It's not something unique to legal education, the same outsized loans are being handed out to 18 year olds so that they can get bachelors degrees. I don't really know how to do that without having the side effect of limiting access and opportunities for lots of people. The incentives for the people running the educational system are not aligned toward the best interests of students or society. There must be a way to change that without leaving lots of people behind.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

jake1357 posted:

I think something needs to change in the way that huge loans are given to people who are barely adults. It's not something unique to legal education, the same outsized loans are being handed out to 18 year olds so that they can get bachelors degrees. I don't really know how to do that without having the side effect of limiting access and opportunities for lots of people. The incentives for the people running the educational system are not aligned toward the best interests of students or society. There must be a way to change that without leaving lots of people behind.

Tie federally guaranteed student loans to the employment rate of the school. Make the federal government, which after all guarantees these loans, in charge of gathering accurate numbers on bar passage rates, salary and employment information.

Then make all other student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy. The end (of 100+ terrible law schools.)

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Despair not, jobless lawyers. You, too, can become a LAWDOG:
http://www.law-dog.com/lawyer_inquiries.html

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Stunt Rock posted:

There was actually a little hotdog shack/law office in the San Fernando Valley called "Lawdogs." Operating as recently as the early 00s. I am not making this up.

Cite

quote:

At one time, Cupid's had competition from Law Dogs, the brainchild of lawyer Kim H. Pearman. He opened six Law Dogs, offering free legal advice to patrons along with their frankfurters.

Today, only one Law Dogs is left--at Sherman Way and Hazeltine Avenue in Van Nuys. The free legal advice is available Wednesdays from 7 to 9 p.m.

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 9, 2011

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

jake1357 posted:

That sounds like a pretty roundabout way of dealing with the problem. Is the idea that people would then abandon getting JDs and most schools would go out of business? Would firms hire people who didn't go to law school? I'm not sure.

It's not something novel, other countries do it with a decent degree of success. It eliminates the worst barrier to entry of the market, the cost/time sink of going to law school. Sure, you'll get a few more lovely lawyers, but lovely lawyers can already make it through the system now, with the amount of TTT's open who will take anyone with a pulse.

There will still be some people who go to law school, if they want to specialize or have an edge getting a job/clerkship.

Japan already does this, the only difference is that their bar exam is ungodly tough/obscure to keep the barrier to entry in place. But they have separate law schools and 'bar exam' schools.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Stunt Rock posted:

So now Bob Loblaw lobs lawdogs?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

It's not something novel, other countries do it with a decent degree of success. It eliminates the worst barrier to entry of the market, the cost/time sink of going to law school. Sure, you'll get a few more lovely lawyers, but lovely lawyers can already make it through the system now, with the amount of TTT's open who will take anyone with a pulse.
I want more barriers.
Why do you think doctors aren't poor? The AMA does a drat good job limiting the number of medical schools and students and therefore potential lawyers.

poo poo, just make the bar hard as hell or limit the number that can pass each year (DE does this).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Jesus did the NY Times go looking for the absolute least-sympathetic idiot to use as their example?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
"Today, his best guess is that he should be sending $2,000 to $3,000 a month in total, to lenders that include Wells Fargo, Citibank and Sallie Mae.

“There are a bunch of others,” he says. “I’m not really good at keeping records.”

Boy, nothing says hire me quite like an attorney who's "not really good" at keeping records.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Who the gently caress takes out a $15,000 bar loan? I know rent in SD is expensive but come on.

And did I understand correctly that he thought it would be a good idea to take out student loans to put a down payment on a house in San Diego? TJ is like a rancid joke of a law school too, the Cooley of the west. FTG

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Who the gently caress takes out a $15,000 bar loan? I know rent in SD is expensive but come on.

And did I understand correctly that he thought it would be a good idea to take out student loans to put a down payment on a house in San Diego? TJ is like a rancid joke of a law school too, the Cooley of the west. FTG

His intelligence is about on par with the Georgetown administrators that are apparently hired from their own pool of unemployable graduates. Their administrative hires "aren't counted as employed" and they lost track of two alums working in the school. Or the dean from Toledo who wasn't massaging USNWR numbers by moving his losers to part-time status - he was just making sure they didn't fail out of law school (I didn't even know that was possible).

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
There's got to be some goon somewhere who works in periodical writing and could interview Linguica or someone marginally sympathetic instead of some 4TT alumnus with the IQ of a parsnip who openly admits to gaming his student loans

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Save me jeebus posted:

Without suggesting copyright infringement, I will just observe that you can make your own computer-based fillable forms with a scanner, a copy of Adobe Acrobat 8 or better, and a couple of hours of time.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
I was pretty appalled at the $15,000 bar loan. All the people I know took out loans in the $2-4,000 range. Admittedly it's much cheaper to live in Texas than San Diego, but still - $15k seems outrageous.

One of my friends got hired back at the Starbucks she worked at before law school. She's legitimately thrilled to be employed again.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Cortina posted:

I was pretty appalled at the $15,000 bar loan. All the people I know took out loans in the $2-4,000 range. Admittedly it's much cheaper to live in Texas than San Diego, but still - $15k seems outrageous.

One of my friends got hired back at the Starbucks she worked at before law school. She's legitimately thrilled to be employed again.

That is outrageous. I was stressed at the thought of taking out $4k in bar loans and being stuck with non-IBR loans. Instead, I'll be self-studying and moving in with my girlfriend. At least I can do immigration shitlaw while servicing federal loans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i shoulda gotten bar loans

instead i'm paying off $15k in credit card debt for my wife's medical bills from right before graduation

that's what you get for not having student loans

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
I never realized people took out bar specific loans. And I can't even fathom needing $15,000 for what is all of two months.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
That guy took out bar loans greater than the loans I took out for living expenses for the entire academic year. And I live in the most expensive place to get mugged in New England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
So what's the general outlook on transferring from the Lower T14 up to the top?

As I mentioned on the last page, I'm in the top 10% after my first semester at Cornell. Assuming that this act of god continues and I do the same next semester, is it generally a good idea to apply to transfer up? It seems the tradeoff is going to a better school vs being on law review and in the top 10% where I am. The devil you know, and all that.

How far down the chain is it worth it? I mean, I'll throw transfer apps at HYS, and maybe Columbia. But should I also apply to CCN? It seems like it wouldn't be worth it to go up a few rankings (Duke, Northwestern, I'm talking to you), but I've even heard people talk about it wouldn't be worth jumping ship for anything short of HYS. Also, I'd heard that, in addition to 1L GPA, HYS also look at the undergrad poo poo that you applied to law school with and they expect that good transfer candidates will have been at least competitive for admission in the first place, and with a 171/3.3, I wasn't even close. Is that going to hurt me?

(Edit: Non-URM)

Thoughts?

Also, for those who have transferred (I think Prussian Advisor went UF->Columbia, right?), I've looked at the transfer info for HYS and all that, and seen the application deadlines, but what's the process and timeline I'd be looking at if I want to start working on transfer apps?

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 10, 2011