Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(

Kodo posted:

...It's too bad you can't access the back log without paying...

Sure you can. There are working links to every episode on Marc's wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Maron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
My favorite WTF is the Galifinakis one if only for Zack's hilarious joke about a large female coworker. I think I might've said this in this thread before though.

Question about accessing backlogs - does anyone else save all the podcasts like I do? I have almost every WTF, Comedy Death Ray, Never Not Funny, Doug Loves Movies, and Comedy and Everything Else. I constantly fear they're going to remove the libraries, and I find all those shows to be really relistenable (especially CDR, it's like an audio only TV show).

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bro Dad posted:

If you're looking for a new podcast I definitely recommend The Bugle but maybe that's because I have a huge crush on John Oliver.

"BP spills out out oil like John Grisham makes novels, indiscriminately and at an incomprehensible scale."
The Bugle perfectly uses its half hour format and I'm really glad that it doesn't last longer. Each show is a perfectly refined little capsule of comedy, and the reams of bullshit that Andy and John are capable of producing are awe inspiring.

I'd think it's largely a given that anyone who likes comedy podcasts should listen to it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Wyld Cannon posted:

Question about accessing backlogs - does anyone else save all the podcasts like I do? I have almost every WTF, Comedy Death Ray, Never Not Funny, Doug Loves Movies, and Comedy and Everything Else. I constantly fear they're going to remove the libraries, and I find all those shows to be really relistenable (especially CDR, it's like an audio only TV show).

I actually just deleted my Ricky Gervais podcast from before they went pay or whatever. I figured I hadn't listened to them in 4 years it might be time to delete. Only certain ones really hold up after a while.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Wyld Cannon posted:

My favorite WTF is the Galifinakis one if only for Zack's hilarious joke about a large female coworker. I think I might've said this in this thread before though.

I only keep my NNF Primo episodes. I used to save my podcasts, but reached a point where I had like five months' worth of This American Life with no intention of ever listening to an individual one again. Figured that life was too short to hoard podcasts.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

t3ch3 posted:

WTF is definitely worth your time. Don't expect a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. It's closer to This American Life than a comedy podcast, but it's still funny and consistently interesting. It sucks that the iTunes feed only has the last 50, but more episodes going back to March are available here http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/category/podcasts

Recommendations:
Maria Bamford
Robin Williams
Tom Lennon
Judd Apatow 1 and part 2

The Bamford episode is a great starting point because it's an incredible and very honest interview and starts with a long Maron monologue where he goes through his escape from LA roadtrip and all the poo poo surrounding it. Robin Williams is in his non-manic mode and Tom Lennon talks about the screenwriting and studio process for formulaic kids movies. The Apatow episode includes tapes of him at age 16 interviewing Jerry Seinfeld about comedy.

e: Oh, the Mencia episode is up there too. That's worth a listen for when it goes from :smith: to :gonk:

These are all great episodes, but i want to throw in his episode with Patrice O'Neil. That episode is amazing and gets super real. WTF is a great podcast.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I couldn't download the WTF shows from those links, and most of the links on the Wiki page were bad (the external links). I want to find a lot of those older shows too :(

Also, just uploaded episode 11 of the Digital Porridge podcast...first show of the year, and a bit of American-British trash talk in this one, especially with the Ashes going on right now. http://www.digitalporridge.net direct download here, or subscribe at RSS feed and
iTunes link

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
krushgroove. It's working on my end now. At first it was still doing the error thing, but I realized, "hmm, I wonder if restarting iTunes would work". Boom, totally did. Welcome to my routine podcast list.

Edit: From where I'm from a wet biscuit is called ookie cookie. You were on the nose about the frat thing though. Also it makes me want to vomit every time at thought of people actually doing this.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NecronSchmecron posted:

krushgroove. It's working on my end now. At first it was still doing the error thing, but I realized, "hmm, I wonder if restarting iTunes would work". Boom, totally did. Welcome to my routine podcast list.

Edit: From where I'm from a wet biscuit is called ookie cookie. You were on the nose about the frat thing though. Also it makes me want to vomit every time at thought of people actually doing this.

That's fantastic, thanks for letting me know (and subscribing!).

I think the phrase I was looking for while hearing the wet biscuit story was 'circle jerk' (standing in a circle, etc.) but I wasn't positive about that. I couldn't help but think about King Lou's ultra-gay forum read while hearing that, too.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Hey guys. I just posted a new episode of Lou Reads. Its SUPER NSFW so headphones on please!

:nms:http://loureads.com/2011/01/06/lou-reads-shoe-sessions-forum-a-place-to-cum-in-shoes-nsfw/:nws:

Enjoy!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

King Lou posted:

Hey guys. I just posted a new episode of Lou Reads. Its SUPER NSFW so headphones on please!

:nms:http://loureads.com/2011/01/06/lou-reads-shoe-sessions-forum-a-place-to-cum-in-shoes-nsfw/:nws:

Enjoy!

Just reading the link name horrifies me.

Also, if you're not listening to WTF, you're wrong. He was featured in the NYT!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/arts/09maron.html?_r=1

It kind of sucks that Marc only barely breaks even.

It's like a Catch-22: If he tried to monetize the show, he'll lose what makes it so good. By accepting more sponsors, doing commercials, or zany morning zoo poo poo he'd probably lose his core of fans, and the intimacy and openness of his interviews. It would be awesome if he could turn it into a show, but again, the presence of cameras and crews and such would probably ruin the candidness of the show, and the interviewees would put their 'shields' up.

Although at this point, I think he's earned the reputation to be able to charge for his podcasts. A pittance, like 99 cents a show (or every-other-show), do one per week, and keep the quality level just as high.

Isn't podcasting coming to a tipping point? I think it's proving to be a radio killer, because there's more content and less interruptions. Carolla does direct sponsorship, Pardo has the premium subscription style, and Marc operates on donations; Has any business model come out as the 'best' way?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

red19fire posted:

Just reading the link name horrifies me.

The pictures were really horrific but different than the Breeding Zone one. Just so loving weird. I wish Weekend Web was still happening. It's perfect, really. If you listen I hope you enjoy it. I left a lot of my reactions in this episode.

red19fire posted:

Also, if you're not listening to WTF, you're wrong. He was featured in the NYT!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/arts/09maron.html?_r=1

It kind of sucks that Marc only barely breaks even.

Isn't podcasting coming to a tipping point? I think it's proving to be a radio killer, because there's more content and less interruptions. Carolla does direct sponsorship, Pardo has the premium subscription style, and Marc operates on donations; Has any business model come out as the 'best' way?

I don't think its there, yet. Its really hard to monetize it. People have barely figured how to monetize video and for small time people, Like me, I make like $17 a month from all the videos I've uploaded. I'd say that sponsors and donations are going to be the way of the day for now. Listening to the TWiT podcast is super annoying because they do super long anecdotal ads. At least Marc Maron's shilling is only at the top of the show. I'd say only a handful of podcasts I know even manage to get donations. Only people with huge followings are going to make any $. At least places like Audible seem to be willing to sponsor podcasts.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I'm glad Marc is getting the exposure - He really deserves it. He does fine work with WTF, and it's going to be looked back upon as a very important thing in the world of comedy. Just a library of honest interviews with an entire spectrum of comedians. I need to donate to him this year!!!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
You definitely need to leave your reactions in, Lou. I laugh my balls off at every random YEEEEEEELCH!!!!

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I really like Marc's system (that is being commonly adopted) of free podcasts, but with the occasional premium episode. I don't mind paying 2 bucks every for a really-good version of something I listen regularly. I hope it's commonly adopted. It provides an incentive for podcasters to provide an above average podcast, and it gives me a way to give them a reward for their hardwork.

I could just donate, but money is tight if I can get away with it, I won't. It's like a reminder. I like to feel like I contribute, without money being a barrier the medium in general.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

infopimp posted:

Just chiming in - others have mentioned this, but one of my fav. new podcasts to track with glee is:http://www.mikeschmidtcomedy.com/podcast

Mike's great! So many awesome stories. Everyone should hear the tale of the 7-11.

If you haven't checked it out yet, get NNF season one. Mike was on every ep and the chemistry between he and Pardo was teriffic!

I was really psyched to hear the success of the one man show in San Francisco. I hope he's able to take it on the road. I'm one of the Westside 86 Jokers and part of the "Bring Mike to Portland" members.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

King Lou posted:

Enjoy!

eeuurrggh...this one was pretty bad but not as disturbing as the Bareback Forums one. I tried going through your blog to find the Breeding Zone show but found at least a dozen other shows that sounded pretty disturbing/gross, so I think that will hold me off. It's probably a bad thing to listen to these at work as it's destroying my faith in humanity! But it's entertainment :)

red19fire posted:

Like Lou says the TWIT method of talking about the new Ford whatever for 5-8 minutes is pretty annoying - if it were at least spread out in the conversation or if it bookended the show that would be much better. I really hate the way the Smodcast shows have literally 8 minutes of ads and promotions, I know it might seem 'better' to get them out in the beginning instead of at the end when people can just skip to the next show, but IMO they'd do much better to just intersperse the show with promos, even if a live show with an audience cuts to a studio-recorded promo.

I think podcasting is still quite young when it comes to making money. Very few people I know personally listen to them (and less listen to audiobooks to take advantage of Audible). It's just not as easy (for the non-geek) as turning on a car radio or switching on the TV. Isn't satellite radio still having trouble making money for people other than Stern? My dream for the show I do is to get some sort of sponsorship or donation thing going, but that's well down the road I think.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

krushgroove posted:

Like Lou says the TWIT method of talking about the new Ford whatever for 5-8 minutes is pretty annoying - if it were at least spread out in the conversation or if it bookended the show that would be much better. I really hate the way the Smodcast shows have literally 8 minutes of ads and promotions, I know it might seem 'better' to get them out in the beginning instead of at the end when people can just skip to the next show, but IMO they'd do much better to just intersperse the show with promos, even if a live show with an audience cuts to a studio-recorded promo.

It is interesting to watch this phase of experimentation with podcast advertising. You're right about the Smodcast ones--way too long and rambling. I think Carolla is hitting a pretty good stride with the ads interspersed throughout the show, a mix of pre-recorded commercials with mentions in the conversation. Greg Fitzsimmons, I think, does all his Audible ads as slipped into the conversation, so even though he repeats himself a bit, it keeps things fresh. (He also recommends specific books, which is nice.)

I wonder when we're going to start hearing slicker, more polished, professional ads? Right now most of the advertising is on a level with homemade Geocities sites from the 90s. Good enough to get the job done then, but embarrassing after a while.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
There were some awkward moments on the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Iliza Schlesinger. Somehow the topic of Bud Dwyer blowing his brains out came up, so she asks "Can we watch it?" So they bring it up, and she looks on in horror and eventually turns away because she's about to cry. She's pretty much fighting back tears, and then says that watching the guy getting hosed to death by the horse would make her feel better. So they watch that, and again she almost starts crying and you can see her start gagging and sweating and comes incredibly close to puking. She spends another few minutes wiping tears and sniffling, and making awkward jokes about everything. It was just a weird dynamic because it was her idea to watch both, but clearly she's not desensitized to that stuff, so I gotta wonder why she wanted to do that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Oh man, I must have had an old RSS link for Rogan's show, I downloaded probably 20 of them a while back and just started listening to them but the most recent episode was in August...man I have a lot of podcast listening to do. Sometimes I wish I had a long train commute each day...

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Cromulent posted:

There were some awkward moments on the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Iliza Schlesinger. Somehow the topic of Bud Dwyer blowing his brains out came up, so she asks "Can we watch it?" So they bring it up, and she looks on in horror and eventually turns away because she's about to cry. She's pretty much fighting back tears, and then says that watching the guy getting hosed to death by the horse would make her feel better. So they watch that, and again she almost starts crying and you can see her start gagging and sweating and comes incredibly close to puking. She spends another few minutes wiping tears and sniffling, and making awkward jokes about everything. It was just a weird dynamic because it was her idea to watch both, but clearly she's not desensitized to that stuff, so I gotta wonder why she wanted to do that.

Haha that sounds hilarious. In the weird retarded non-intentional hilarity that Rogan's podcast always delivers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Cromulent posted:

She's an unbelievable moron, from what I've seen. She actually tweeted the retarded "not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim" argument, and then when someone called her on it she ranted about it on Carolla's podcast.

e: I think that was her anyway.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 7, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hey Lou, I finally got to the Raw Tops Breeders ep, and while it was pretty gross, I don't think it was even close to the horror of the vore forum and the bugcatcher forum. Also, the Vampire episode was one of the funniest episodes of any podcast I've heard in quite a while. You produce a great show.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

I dunno what it is but Seth Romatelli's laugh when he's being sarcastic cracks me up every loving time.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hey Lou, I finally got to the Raw Tops Breeders ep, and while it was pretty gross, I don't think it was even close to the horror of the vore forum and the bugcatcher forum. Also, the Vampire episode was one of the funniest episodes of any podcast I've heard in quite a while. You produce a great show.

Thanks!

I think the Raw Top was worse for me because of all the avatars and pics I had to endure while reading the site. So many proudly posted pics of buttholes covered in what appears to be some sort of donut glaze...

I didn't even read the Bug Chaser sub-forum of the Breeding Zone. Saving it for later!

EDIT:

I sat in on The Flophouse Podcast last night. It was a lot of fun to record. One of these days I'll get around to guesting when the other guy is there.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 8, 2011

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006
What's the name of the Canadian comedy podcast hosted by some guy and his lesbian friend? They interviewed The 40 Year Old Boy earlier this year.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Here is the best podcast on Carolla's weak-rear end network:

Daves of Thunder, with Dave Dameshek and David Feeney
http://www.adamcarolla.com/DNDBlog/

I think they're ridiculously funny. Some youtubes of their bits so you can sample them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMrtXRShhM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ1NYadWRKE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ZwiLoAQxM

Listen to 'em if you aren't already!

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

SpeedoJoe posted:

What's the name of the Canadian comedy podcast hosted by some guy and his lesbian friend? They interviewed The 40 Year Old Boy earlier this year.

"Return to Sender: Junk Mail of the Mind"

Their lack of humor is exceeded only by their complete idiocy. I tried to listen to a couple of episodes and they're intolerable. The "lesbian" sounds like an insufferable bitch who you'd find hanging out in front of a Hot Topic (in Canada) and the guy, while he seems to be a nice enough dude, is a moron. They don't seem like people who would normally be hanging out with each other, which leads me to believe that the guy is only around because nobody else would put up with the "lesbian" (emphasis on the quotes, because I'm betting she's just being provocative).

I guess that seems harsh, but I really could not stand that show.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Games on comedy podcasts. Discuss.

The Leonard Maltin Game doesn't count, because it's an essential component of Doug Loves Movies. But it is worth mentioning because of the many episodes that involve having to explain the game to the participants.

The various games are everywhere. Greg Fitzsimmons and Tell 'Em Steve Dave both used the same bit, the idea of telling stories and guessing which one is true. This is a terrible game because, at best you've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right, and most people get confused about the setup AND aren't really good at the necessary performance part of it.

Even worse is the recent new game on Kevin Smith's "Jay and Silent Bob Get Old", where Jason Mewes and some lucky winner from the audience get to act out a fictional sex act that neither of them are familiar with.

Why do I point this out? I used to be a corporate trainer, and would often have to employ various icebreakers and energizers during the course of a two-week class. I learned quickly to ditch the games that didn't make any drat sense and mostly frustrated the participants. The remainder were fun among the group, but would not have been entertaining to an outside audience.

Basically, these things are sometimes necessary to keep a captive audience from going to sleep, but they don't necessarily make for good broadcasting. Podcast listeners A) aren't participating and B) get really tired of hearing the rules explained every week.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

benito posted:

Would You Rather is often the funniest segment on any particular episode of CDR.

The only other podcast I listen to that regularly has anything that could be described as a game is Who Charted, where the guest has to guess, for example, how many, out of the top 5 video games, are "silly" and how many are "killy". It does not detract from the show, but it also doesn't add anything except a tiny bit of variety.

I guess maybe UYD's "Guess which horse is real and which is fake" game might count, but it's a very rare segment, and not one the audience can really play along with. Whatever.

Borrego
May 17, 2010

I need pictures!
Pictures of Greaser-Man!

Desk Lamp posted:

I dunno what it is but Seth Romatelli's laugh when he's being sarcastic cracks me up every loving time.

It's not just you, it gets me as well. I really hope they do another uyd live or at least another video episode. Watching them talk to each other makes it so much more entertaining. You see them together and when they're on a roll you can tell that they're both really enjoying it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
All three games on CDR are great - Would You Rather, What Am I Thinking, Jukebox Jury - What Am I Thinking is a really easy but fun game so you can get anyone to play.

Judge Jimmy is always pretty good.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Wyld Cannon posted:

They stopped playing it for the most part. I wish they did it more often. I would have loved to have seen Jon Hamm play Judge Jimmy. :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just want more What is it Wearing on CDR. It was the best bad game I have ever heard.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

NecronSchmecron posted:

They stopped playing it for the most part. I wish they did it more often. I would have loved to have seen Jon Hamm play Judge Jimmy. :(

He couldn't lose.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wyld Cannon posted:

All three games on CDR are great - Would You Rather, What Am I Thinking, Jukebox Jury - What Am I Thinking is a really easy but fun game so you can get anyone to play.

I hate it when they pick the same Would You Rather, they've done it at least a couple times. The guests always seem to ask the same questions and go down the same path, the best ones are when they have just characters playing.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
So, at least for today, somehow WTF broke through the Glass ceiling and became the #1 Podcast on iTunes. loving congrats, Marc Maron, that is quite the accomplishment. No one ever beats TAL. No one.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Wyld Cannon posted:

God, I miss Jukebox Jury. The horrible music, Scott getting angry about it, the guests trying to be polite and find something nice to say about it... I guess Scott wasn't kidding around when he said he loathed it.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

DangerDummy! posted:

God, I miss Jukebox Jury. The horrible music, Scott getting angry about it, the guests trying to be polite and find something nice to say about it... I guess Scott wasn't kidding around when he said he loathed it.

I, as well as Scott, Chelsea Peretti and Nick Thune have a surprise for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

benito posted:

The Leonard Maltin Game doesn't count, because it's an essential component of Doug Loves Movies. But it is worth mentioning because of the many episodes that involve having to explain the game to the participants.

The various games are everywhere. Greg Fitzsimmons and Tell 'Em Steve Dave both used the same bit, the idea of telling stories and guessing which one is true. This is a terrible game because, at best you've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right, and most people get confused about the setup AND aren't really good at the necessary performance part of it.

Even worse is the recent new game on Kevin Smith's "Jay and Silent Bob Get Old", where Jason Mewes and some lucky winner from the audience get to act out a fictional sex act that neither of them are familiar with.

Why do I point this out? I used to be a corporate trainer, and would often have to employ various icebreakers and energizers during the course of a two-week class. I learned quickly to ditch the games that didn't make any drat sense and mostly frustrated the participants. The remainder were fun among the group, but would not have been entertaining to an outside audience.

Basically, these things are sometimes necessary to keep a captive audience from going to sleep, but they don't necessarily make for good broadcasting. Podcast listeners A) aren't participating and B) get really tired of hearing the rules explained every week.
The Preakness guessing game, real hobo or Seth hobo and spot the Grateful Dead track are all pretty much amazing games.

• Locked thread