Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I think there's precedent for having Dark Jedi and Emperor's Hands and whatnot while still sticking to the Rule of Two. "Sith" is a very specific ideology and title, and despite having a bunch of force-users at his beck and call, Palpatine still strictly stuck to the whole master/apprentice angle.

In fact, having multiple potential lackeys seems to be standard procedure for Sith Lords, since the apprentice is always supposed to be plotting the death of the master, and vice versa; the idea is to seamlessly rise to/solidify your position as Top Sith Dog, then have an apprentice ready and waiting. A lone Sith leaves them open to extinction, whereas more than two leads to lovely infighting.

We see this done a lot over the course of the fiction. Maul was presumably too stupid and/or uninterested to groom his own secret apprentice, but Dooku had folks like Asajj Ventress and Quinlan Vos, and Vader tried to get Luke and (ugh) Starkiller in his camp for an eventual overthrow. Palpatine was getting ready to trade in his old and busted, emotionally-damaged apprentice for the new streamlined model, but seemed perfectly happy killing Luke when he had to. If it had come to killing both Skywalkers, he probably would have picked out Mara Jade or Carnor Jax or something as his new apprentice.

Also, it just occurs to me that Palpatine has gone through a lot of apprentices, all of whom are pretty huge badasses in their own right; which, by virtue of being subservient to him, says a lot about how powerful he is.
1. Maul - singlehandedly dismantled the Black Sun syndicate, killed a powerful Jedi
2. Dooku - Political leader of a faction that nearly destroyed the Republic (albeit because Palpatine himself was controlling both sides)
3. Vader - Enforced law and spread fear with an iron fist through the entire galaxy for 20 years
4. Luke - Destroyed said regime of fear, blew up a Death Star, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there any way we can combine this thread, and the RLM review threads all into one CD thread? Cause there's like four threads on SA with a million posts all repeating the same cycle of Lucas hate/prequel fanfic/EU hate/EU reboot discussion/Lucas hate cycle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Whoa whoa whoa, a bit too nerdy. Sorry about that.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 17, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I've got a question that's always bugged me. In the Empire Strikes back, when Han is being tortured, is there a reason for that other than trying to lure Luke in? I always thought that they were injecting him with chemicals or something to prepare him for the carbonite freezing.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

VaultAggie posted:

I've got a question that's always bugged me. In the Empire Strikes back, when Han is being tortured, is there a reason for that other than trying to lure Luke in? I always thought that they were injecting him with chemicals or something to prepare him for the carbonite freezing.

Vader was being a jerk.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but this thread is long.

Whats the general consensus on the new Clone Wars cartoon? Is it atleast better than the PT?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PlasticPaddy posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but this thread is long.

Whats the general consensus on the new Clone Wars cartoon? Is it atleast better than the PT?

How could it not be? (And the serious answer actually is yes.)

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Is it ever explained how Han understands Chewie?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Doppelganger posted:

He can understand Chewie's language fine, he just can't speak it. Human vocal cords aren't built right to speak it without the equivalent of a heavy lisp.

A Butt Fiesta
Nov 25, 2010

Doppelganger posted:

Yup, he was raised by a Wookie named Dewlanna, which is explained in the Han Solo Trilogy.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Doppelganger posted:

Does it need explaining past he understands that language?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VaultAggie posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just to send the "your friends are in pain" signal out through the Force, to tempt Luke to come rushing to the rescue. Obi-Wan all but confirmed it: "It is you and your abilities the Emperor wants. That is why your friends are made to suffer."

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Powered Descent posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just to send the "your friends are in pain" signal out through the Force, to tempt Luke to come rushing to the rescue. Obi-Wan all but confirmed it: "It is you and your abilities the Emperor wants. That is why your friends are made to suffer."

Ah that's what I thought, I just wasn't sure. Thanks!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chairman Capone posted:

The first KOTOR had a bunch of Sith apprentices but it was pretty clear that there were only two actual Sith Lords at any time, and that they were master and apprentice. I wasn't talking about KOTOR II because its writers were far more creative and subtle with their depiction of the Sith than Karpyshyn is/was, or really pretty much anyone else is/was.

I dunno, I loved Kreya, Sion and Nihilus were lacking. Sion felt almost like a 13 year old's star wars fanfic, and Nihilus was a "superweapon of the week" made into a person. Perhaps some of the cutting room floor stuff elaborated on them but they were far from subtle.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sion and Nihilus were lacking. Sion felt almost like a 13 year old's star wars fanfic, and Nihilus was a "superweapon of the week" made into a person. Perhaps some of the cutting room floor stuff elaborated on them but they were far from subtle.
Nihilus is lame I agree, I dug Sion though. I loved the idea that the only thing keeping his ravaged body together is his hatred for the Jedi.and his motives (kill all Jedi) seem more plausible and realistic than that of other Sith (rule the galaxy)

He's kind of a brute with a lightsaber.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I thought Nihilus was a cool villain. He didn't care about enslaving or ruling people, he just wanted suck the life out of entire planets and lived on a creepy skeleton of a ship crewed by thralls who he was also slowly sucking dry. But yeah he was probably too general a threat to make a good solo villain, Sion and Kreia were necessary.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dunno, I loved Kreya, Sion and Nihilus were lacking. Sion felt almost like a 13 year old's star wars fanfic, and Nihilus was a "superweapon of the week" made into a person. Perhaps some of the cutting room floor stuff elaborated on them but they were far from subtle.

Sion was pretty cool and unique I thought. He's basically a broken shell of a living thing like Vader, only pure rage and hatred keeping him alive instead of a walking iron lung. No he didn't have some huge back story which set up some tragic fall that is supposed to make me feel bad for him, or a pragmatic dude like Dooku who just wanted to fix the galaxy. But that poo poo can stay in that FOTJ/LOTF crap, I don't mind my Sith Lords being simplistic baddies sometimes.

I like Nihilus for the same reason I liked Maul. He looks cool and he's mysterious. And I liked that he was basically a walking void that the Exile indirectly created. Too bad he went down like a chump...like Maul.

A Butt Fiesta
Nov 25, 2010
Nihilus was a baller because he looked like one of those masks from Mario Bros. 2.
:colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

Nihilus is lame I agree, I dug Sion though. I loved the idea that the only thing keeping his ravaged body together is his hatred for the Jedi.and his motives (kill all Jedi) seem more plausible and realistic than that of other Sith (rule the galaxy)

Sion was excellent because the way you killed him was by making him lose his connection to the force by, for the first time in his existence, doubting himself. Telling him you can kill him forever and having him die was something so rewarding that like 90% of the EU can't even scratch at.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Loopyface posted:

Does it need explaining past he understands that language?

Welcome to Star Wars.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

omgLerkHat! posted:

Vader was being a jerk.

Han was totally banging his daughter he was just giving him the Al Bundy treatment.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sion was badass, a grudge incarnate. Nihilius was underdeveloped but was an interesting threat.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I think Sion was almost a horror character. Some of the descriptions of what was done to him chill the blood when you first hear them;

Republic Medical Officer posted:

I'm registering several thousand cracks throughout his skeleton, like each bone was broken repeatedly and healed over time.

Essentially, it's all one-upmanship, like everything else in the EU. Kreia is a more manipulative, better hidden Sideous. Sion is broken like Vader, but a better fighter and near unkillable. Nihilius is the superweapon, but instead of killing planets, he kills everything.

The difference between them and all other one-upmanship attempts is they they are written so drat well. I loving love that game.

veonenergee posted:

MASSIVE FANFIC
Sweet mercy, that's a lot of words. I think you actually have enough for two films in that.

Your plot is solid. It looks like you're taken the plot of TPM and made it non-retarded. Focusing on Naboo seems a bit narrow when there's an entire galaxy out there, but its workable as the audience will be able to understand the planetary scale better. The characters are far better than what the neckbeard wrote into the actual prequels.

The biggest problem I have with the prequels is that they destroy the OT if all six are watched in order. 'I am your Father' has almost no impact when you've known it for two films already, same to 'You are Yoda?!' and 'Now you will feel the true power of the Dark Side!'.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 9, 2011

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

PlasticPaddy posted:

He's also in love with the Exile if you play a female.

A horrible horrible twisted love that he utterly hates himself for feeling and makes him want to destroy the Exile all the more for evoking such weakness in him.

Unfinished and buggy or not, that game had fantastic writing.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
I don't know what the hell you kids are talking about with your Atari video game comic book whatsists and your universe extensions but it needs to be made clear that Wedge Antilles is the real loving hero of the entire series and everyone else is a pussy that exists only to contrast the fact that the Death Star blueprints were fashioned after an analysis of just one of his balls. That's right. His testicles could destroy planets, motherfuckers.

Wedge Antilles would have flown his space motorcycle through the halls of the Death Star and right into the Emperor's lounge and fired his proton torpedoes right into the Emperor's rear end while the Emperor tried to pull the start cord on his electricity gloves or whatever. He would have then have done a plasma donut in the space command center while the British-star-nazi-orcs or whatever the hell they were scrambled all over the place and his plasma jets would have burned Vader's face off while he sped out. The last thing Vader would see would be Wedge Antilles lifting a glass of space Cognac and flicking a lit cigarette out of his cockpit at him before Antilles sped off to gently caress a squadron of big titted tentacle bitches. His command of gently caress yeah was so complete that the loving laws of physics would reverse themselves in respect for him and laser blasts would make noise in his reality just to honour him.

Wedge Antilles was so loving awesome they could have sent him alone against the entire Empire but they knew that if they did the carnage he would have rained down on them would have terrified the rest of the universe into galvanizing against the Rebels. Wedge was deployed in strategic restraint mode only.

WEDGE ANTILLES WAS AWESOME. DO YOU KNOW HOW loving AWESOME HE WAS? HE WAS SO loving AWESOME THAT THE FIRST THREE MOVIES SUCKED EVEN WORSE THAN YOU REMEMBER. NINE HOURS OF JAR JAR LEADING ADORABLE EWOKS ON THE PLANET OF BUYMATTEL AGAINST GROWNUP NAZI ZOMBIES AND WEDGE ANTILLES WENT BACK IN TIME AND ALTERED HISTORY BECAUSE HE COULDN'T STAND HOW lovely THEY WERE. THE ONLY REASON THEY STILL SUCK IS BECAUSE HE HAD MORE BIG TITTED TENTACLE BITCHES ON HIS SCHEDULE TO LAY INTO SO HE RAN OUT OF TIME FOR YOUR rear end. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO APPRECIATE THE THINGS HE HAS DONE FOR YOU. WEDGE. loving. ANTILLES.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Mr.Graves posted:

I don't know what the hell you kids are talking about with your Atari video game comic book whatsists and your universe extensions but it needs to be made clear that Wedge Antilles is the real loving hero of the entire series and everyone else is a pussy that exists only to contrast the fact that the Death Star blueprints were fashioned after an analysis of just one of his balls. That's right. His testicles could destroy planets, motherfuckers.

Wedge Antilles would have flown his space motorcycle through the halls of the Death Star and right into the Emperor's lounge and fired his proton torpedoes right into the Emperor's rear end while the Emperor tried to pull the start cord on his electricity gloves or whatever. He would have then have done a plasma donut in the space command center while the British-star-nazi-orcs or whatever the hell they were scrambled all over the place and his plasma jets would have burned Vader's face off while he sped out. The last thing Vader would see would be Wedge Antilles lifting a glass of space Cognac and flicking a lit cigarette out of his cockpit at him before Antilles sped off to gently caress a squadron of big titted tentacle bitches. His command of gently caress yeah was so complete that the loving laws of physics would reverse themselves in respect for him and laser blasts would make noise in his reality just to honour him.

Wedge Antilles was so loving awesome they could have sent him alone against the entire Empire but they knew that if they did the carnage he would have rained down on them would have terrified the rest of the universe into galvanizing against the Rebels. Wedge was deployed in strategic restraint mode only.

WEDGE ANTILLES WAS AWESOME. DO YOU KNOW HOW loving AWESOME HE WAS? HE WAS SO loving AWESOME THAT THE FIRST THREE MOVIES SUCKED EVEN WORSE THAN YOU REMEMBER. NINE HOURS OF JAR JAR LEADING ADORABLE EWOKS ON THE PLANET OF BUYMATTEL AGAINST GROWNUP NAZI ZOMBIES AND WEDGE ANTILLES WENT BACK IN TIME AND ALTERED HISTORY BECAUSE HE COULDN'T STAND HOW lovely THEY WERE. THE ONLY REASON THEY STILL SUCK IS BECAUSE HE HAD MORE BIG TITTED TENTACLE BITCHES ON HIS SCHEDULE TO LAY INTO SO HE RAN OUT OF TIME FOR YOUR rear end. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO APPRECIATE THE THINGS HE HAS DONE FOR YOU. WEDGE. loving. ANTILLES.
This post is still more Stars Wars than the prequels

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Levi Johnston does Star Wars.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Mr.Graves posted:

I agree with most of this. What of Garik "Face" Loran's role in all of this?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Mr.Graves posted:

I'm not sure I get all this Jedi and lightsaber obsession. As a kid, I didn't want to be a Jedi, I wanted to be an X-Wing pilot like Wedge!

I had the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, Rouge Squadron on the N64, all those bitching Action Fleet ships... you know, the little ships that had tiny little men in them? I had like all of them. Even the E-Wing and TIE Defender. I played with them more than the action figures.

Instead of all these masturbatory lightsaber fights we see people putting up on youtube, we should see like Rebel pilots in space dogfights or Rebel troops taking on AT-ATs or whatever. As a kid I thought the battle in space over Endor was the coolest thing ever.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Gammatron 64 posted:

As a kid I thought the battle in space over Endor was the coolest thing ever.
I still think it's the coolest thing ever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

drat right. When I learned of the Tallon Roll, I knew I could take on Rogue Squadron and their pathetically encumbered fighters.

Does anyone know if there was ever a TIE fighter squadron book similar to the Rogue Squadron series? I know those TIE fighters had to have done some shenanigans and weren't all mindless zombies.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Fox of Stone posted:

Does anyone know if there was ever a TIE fighter squadron book similar to the Rogue Squadron series? I know those TIE fighters had to have done some shenanigans and weren't all mindless zombies.

The closest thing I can think of is the In the Empire's Service arc of the Rogue Squadron comic, which was basically Soontir Fel (the Imperial equivalent of Wedge) talking about his service history as he's defecting to the Rebels. Notably includes him dealing with a bunch of people that he gave Space PTSD to.

There's also the Empire comic series, although that's less "TIE Pilots" and more just random stories from the Imperial perspective.

Edit:

It was a pretty good plot arc.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2011

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Slantedfloors posted:

The closest thing I can think of is the In the Empire's Service arc of the Rogue Squadron comic, which was basically Soontir Fel (the Imperial equivalent of Wedge) talking about his service history as he's defecting to the Rebels. Notably includes him dealing with a bunch of people that he gave Space PTSD to.

There's also the Empire comic series, although that's less "TIE Pilots" and more just random stories from the Imperial perspective.

They're all good though.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Slantedfloors posted:

I still think it's the coolest thing ever.
Agreed. It's drat cool. To think the lack of space fighting in the prequels almost made me forget how awesome it could be. I've just been to look up the space fight on Youtube (for the first time in a few years), and I can't believe how much better looking, feeling, sounding, everything-ing it is than that farce at the start of RotS.

at my heart though, I am still a hopeless swords and swordplay fantasy nut, so I still love lightsabers, but thank you both for reminding me how awesome space fighting is. I'm going to have to watch RotJ tonight, and I plan to enjoy it :munch:

One of the first computer games I played was X-Wing and I've been carrying around my old CD for years hoping to get it to work one day. Does anyone know how I could? (Probably better to ask the Tech support Fort...)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Slantedfloors posted:

Oh, cool. Is that the same comic series I've seen where the guy's telling the awesome story of how happy he was that although the Death Star II was destroyed, it rained death on the planet of teddy bears?

All this talking about rogue squadron and old times makes me miss the old CCG game which had all the members from Hoth onwards. To think, if they had continued, we could have more EU and clone wars cards. Sure we'd probably have retarded mandalorian cards too, but it would be balanced out by...something. Mr lightsaber knees I guess.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Wedge is neat but he needs to lose the 70s pedo-stache.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

Oh, cool. Is that the same comic series I've seen where the guy's telling the awesome story of how happy he was that although the Death Star II was destroyed, it rained death on the planet of teddy bears?

That was one of the issues of Star Wars Tales, though I'm not sure of which one.

The X-wing part where Fel is telling his backstory is actually the standalone issue "The Making of Soontir Fel" which comes right after the In the Empire's Service arc, although In the Empire's Service does still show the whole Brentaal battle from the view of Fel and his squadron. And a lot of the Empire comic is still disappointingly from the Rebel POV, but the volume "The Imperial Perspective" is fully from the Imperial view, as one might expect. It also features the awesome story "To the Last Man" which is basically the movie Zulu but with stormtroopers and aliens rather than Brits and Zulus.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Bene Elim posted:

One of the first computer games I played was X-Wing and I've been carrying around my old CD for years hoping to get it to work one day. Does anyone know how I could? (Probably better to ask the Tech support Fort...)

I know I've heard somewhere that people figured out how to get it to run on XP/Windows 7. I'm sure I read about it when I discovered the total conversion for X-wing Alliance that turns it into the classic TIE fighter. For the conversion to work, you actually need the TIE CD because the installation rips the movies and voices from it. It's loving awesome.

Edit: A quick google search found this thread that should help you out.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2011

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Mister Roboto posted:

Wedge is neat but he needs to lose the 70s pedo-stache.

Wedge has never had a moustache, at least not in the movies. You're thinking of Biggs, who's rocking his 'stache with Space Jesus now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Considering Biggs is the only man in the Star Wars universe with that kind of moustache of that magnitude I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a EU comic or book about him being some sort of rear end kicking Tatooine Magnum PI.

I am aware he did some rear end kicking in the Rebellion comics.