Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Wireless = Fail

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bret Hart posted:

Wireless = Fail
Thank you for that earth shocking post

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
i don't remember how long ago it was, i guess probably just before Christmas, Best Buy had the Logitech G500 on sale for $45. I purchased one and have been in love with it since. Customizable weights, dpi plus macro keys. It's great. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a new mouse. Not sure if I'd pay the full $80 but still definitely worth looking into if you haven't.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Wibbleman posted:

Its not a scroll wheel though, its a rocker switch, so you get back,forward and press as options. but it doesn't scroll like a wheel, I guess you can configure it to scroll up and down, but not sure why you would want to do that.

Glad I found this out before I bought one. Ended up with going with the Performance MX.

Errant911
Aug 17, 2007
We live by the sword.
Am I an outlier because I use this "claw grip" a few people have referenced? It seems that 90% of the mice being recommended are the big, "ergonomic", palm-style mice: mx 518, revolution, etc.

My current mouse is the Logitech G3. I picked it up a few years ago for next to nothing when circuit city went out of business. I really liked it, but it's fallen too many times, and the buttons are starting to get a bit iffy. I've enjoyed the mouse so far, but now I wonder if I'm just missing out by not owning the supposed messiah of mice, the mx 518.

I've been tempted by the g9x, but amazon has the mx 518 on sale for $22.54 after rebate. If anyone has recommendations on smaller mice more appropriate for a fingertip type grip, I'd love to hear them.

Errant911 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 6, 2011

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
If you don't have any issues with the G3, you might want to replace it with an identical mouse. That shape isn't really being developed anymore. IMO the sensor advancements past the MX300 stage aren't very significant, at least for my medium-low sensitivity with acceleration scheme.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Errant911 posted:

Am I an outlier because I use this "claw grip" a few people have referenced? It seems that 90% of the mice being recommended are the big, "ergonomic", palm-style mice: mx 518, revolution, etc.

My current mouse is the Logitech G3. I picked it up a few years ago for next to nothing when circuit city went out of business. I really liked it, but it's fallen too many times, and the buttons are starting to get a bit iffy. I've enjoyed the mouse so far, but now I wonder if I'm just missing out by not owning the supposed messiah of mice, the mx 518.

I've been tempted by the g9x, but amazon has the mx 518 on sale for $22.54 after rebate. If anyone has recommendations on smaller mice more appropriate for a fingertip type grip, I'd love to hear them.
you'd be an outlier if you actually palmed those things. I use an 'ergonomic' mouse but I still only touch the mouse with my fingers.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Errant911 posted:

I think the razer lachesis is good for fingertip/claw grip. I bought one when they were really cheap but I hated it because it was very bad for palming and picking up which is what I do.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm looking for a new gaming mouse. Is the Logitech Corded Mouse M500 good? Are the extra buttons programmable or fixed as forward/back buttons? It's the only corded mouse with 4 buttons that I can find in stores, everything else either has fewer buttons or is cordless.

I'm switching away from a wireless mouse and keyboard combination because the keyboard doesn't always seem to respond properly.

On the other hand, my wireless mouse seems to work fine, but it sits about 2 inches from the receptor. If there's a wireless mouse which has a receptor which has an 18 inch long plug, that might work as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 9, 2011

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
I just picked up a Logitech G9x for $47.99 at best buy, showed up as a $32 discounted clearance item on my receipt. Normal price on it is $79.99 I think. It may only be my store but if anyone is looking for one on sale there you to!

lando calrissian
Jan 7, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is the Logitech Corded Mouse M500 good? Are the extra buttons programmable or fixed as forward/back buttons? It's the only corded mouse with 4 buttons that I can find in stores, everything else either has fewer buttons or is cordless.

If you're set on a logitech mouse with that kind of shape, you should be getting the mx518.

What do you need the mouse for, and what do you need to change the extra button functions to?

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I love Logitech but I wish they would wake the gently caress up and support OS X better - IE Acceleration curve over-rides, G500 settings etc.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

lando calrissian posted:

If you're set on a logitech mouse with that kind of shape, you should be getting the mx518.

What do you need the mouse for, and what do you need to change the extra button functions to?

Oh right. I'm looking for a gaming mouse (another reason to go for wired not wireless). I guess it doesn't matter if the extra buttons can be used in Windows as long as they work in games.

lando calrissian
Jan 7, 2009

Oh right. I'm looking for a gaming mouse (another reason to go for wired not wireless). I guess it doesn't matter if the extra buttons can be used in Windows as long as they work in games.

As far as modern wireless mice go, the (expensive) razer mamba is a very good wireless mouse, and the only issue I found with it being wireless was that it couldn't consistently hold 1000hz (1ms polling rate, irrelevant for pretty much anyone).

Anyway, the mx518 has no sensor issues, a high enough maximum speed for most gamers, and enough dpi (unless you play at a ridiculously high resolution with a ridiculously high sensitivity). Its only minor issue is that it has mouse prediction with no way to disable it, which is not really that big of an issue (unless you play with a very high sensitivity, possibly).

edit: this post has some criteria to look at when deciding what mouse best suits your needs

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm looking for a new gaming mouse. Is the Logitech Corded Mouse M500 good? Are the extra buttons programmable or fixed as forward/back buttons? It's the only corded mouse with 4 buttons that I can find in stores, everything else either has fewer buttons or is cordless.

I'm switching away from a wireless mouse and keyboard combination because the keyboard doesn't always seem to respond properly.

On the other hand, my wireless mouse seems to work fine, but it sits about 2 inches from the receptor. If there's a wireless mouse which has a receptor which has an 18 inch long plug, that might work as well.
I recently switched FROM the M500 because, while comfortable and good for browsing, it can't track nearly quickly enough for games. The G9x is less comfortable, uglier, but actually tracks and supports polling above 125Hz.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
do you really feel like it's possible for a polling rate that's twice the standard monitor refresh rate to be less than completely adequate for anything ever?

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

do you really feel like it's possible for a polling rate that's twice the standard monitor refresh rate to be less than completely adequate for anything ever?

I have 150Hz+ refresh rate at various resolutions. While higher polling rates aren't really necessary given the limited accuracy of the human hand, they look and feel nice and can fix the overflow problems of the standard USB HID datapath being only 8 bits wide.

I haven't bothered changing it since a Windows upgrade, but it's not an empty improvement.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Huh, the links in this post seem to show that increasing the polling rate above 125hz improves accuracy.

lando calrissian
Jan 7, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Huh, the links in this post seem to show that increasing the polling rate above 125hz improves accuracy.

Accuracy is not the correct word, all an increase in polling rate does is decrease the delay of mouse input getting to the computer. Sensitivity/accuracy/all movement stays the same. Explanation here.

Pretty much any "gaming" mouse supports at least a 500hz polling rate, but see the link above for explanations on what determines your ability to sustain a constant increased rate.

A difference between 125 and 500 is easily visible by some, but telling a difference between 500 and 1000 (a 1ms difference) is highly unlikely, unless a lot of input (buttons/scrolling as well as movement) is going on at the same time.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reducing negative acceleration is improving accuracy, isn't it?

lando calrissian
Jan 7, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Reducing negative acceleration is improving accuracy, isn't it?

ah, I see what you meant, however that only works for some sensors.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
What's the consensus on good Bluetooth mice? I just bought my first laptop, and I'd like a portable but durable and effective mouse to go along with it. Doing some searching I'm finding huge price ranges for all manner of devices, but none in particular have really stood out to me.

I see a lot more choice for wireless USB transmitter mice than I do Bluetooth. Why is this? Should I just be a getting a corded or USB wireless mouse instead? (Really... using up 1 of 2 USB slots for my mouse can't be that bad, right?)

I have a G500 for my desktop on which I do most of my gaming. The laptop is mostly for browsing and media... however I'd still like to find a mouse to go with it that retains to two thumb buttons. Basically the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer is exactly what I'm looking for, but if there's a Bluetooth or Wireless version out there that's similar I'll be a happy camper.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=099 looks like a contender, it only has 1 side button, but it may do the trick. Anyone have any experience with this one?

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
I just got an Anywhere MX for $50 and it's pretty great. Small footprint, rubberized sides which are perfect for gripping it the correct way (fingertips), and the laser tracks well enough that I can use it on my pants. The best part: it's free of fake bulletholes, lava patterns, and glowing blue lights, so by purchasing it I'm not consigning myself to a lifetime of celibacy. Highly recommended.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The reason that there are more USB options is largely that it costs a lot of money to have a product certified by the bluetooth group, and it makes for a wider customer base because virtually no PC desktops have onboard bluetooth.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Not an Anthem posted:

Seriously endorsing the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiL1WDETH_E

Just got my Arc Touch in today, and I'm loving it. Easier to pack in my bag than the original Arc, and the feel is great. Only thing I would change is making the page up and page down taps become forward and back buttons for internet surfing, but I'm still messing around with it to see if that's possible or not.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I made the post about mousepads last page and I must say you guys were right, using a mousepad is a LOT nicer than not having one. Even the cheapest $5 I got from best buy made a big improvement in my gaming already.

I also needed a new mouse, and aftering having used Intellimouses for the past 10 years I bought the newest version, which had a new style. The mouse wheel was really hard to scroll, and I always accidentally right clicked because it only needed the slightest bit of pressure.

So I took advantage of the recent amazon sale for the MX518, and I must say Im very happy with it. The only issue I have is very slight, the scroll click is pretty hard to click, but Im sure I wont notice it in a week.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Is there any 100$ mouse that don't shut off the laser when you lift/tilt the mouse? I've done this for five years with my MX518, but notice so many "gaming" mice shut it off once you lift it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

ilifin posted:

Is there any 100$ mouse that don't shut off the laser when you lift/tilt the mouse? I've done this for five years with my MX518, but notice so many "gaming" mice shut it off once you lift it.

My Steelseries Xai doesn't turn off, but the lift distance for picking up the laser is very small. It could be the same thing with a lot of mice these days.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm interested in buying a mouse for my new netbook. What's a good small portable mouse with good responsiveness and battery life if wireless (I really don't want to lug around my deathadder since I'll be traveling a lot in the next few months).

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My Steelseries Xai doesn't turn off, but the lift distance for picking up the laser is very small. It could be the same thing with a lot of mice these days.
How well do laser-based mice work with glass mats? Should I get a Xai and a mousemat? I've looked at some other mice, namely Logitechs G9 and ROCCATs KOVA. I need to get something as a replacement for my Razer Mamba which 1) doesn't work with Macs and 2) is way too large for my hands.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm interested in buying a mouse for my new netbook. What's a good small portable mouse with good responsiveness and battery life if wireless (I really don't want to lug around my deathadder since I'll be traveling a lot in the next few months).

Depending on your price range, either the Microsoft Arc or Arc touch are both pretty awesome.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Mr. Despair posted:

Depending on your price range, either the Microsoft Arc or Arc touch are both pretty awesome.

The arc is a piece of poo poo. The arc touch RULES. Posted this a few up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiL1WDETH_E

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

ilifin posted:

How well do laser-based mice work with glass mats? Should I get a Xai and a mousemat? I've looked at some other mice, namely Logitechs G9 and ROCCATs KOVA. I need to get something as a replacement for my Razer Mamba which 1) doesn't work with Macs and 2) is way too large for my hands.

If you were going to use the Xai for macs, it's not compatible at all. The SteelSeries 9HD works amazing with the Xai as a hard mat and with any other mouse I used in the last 3 months, including a Deathadder and x5 Sidewinder.

I used a glassmat for a while but i didn't like it personally. Laser shouldn't have any issues with glass, but it's best to check and see if there is any issues as it does vary from surface to surface for many mice for tractability.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Not an Anthem posted:

The arc is a piece of poo poo. The arc touch RULES. Posted this a few up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiL1WDETH_E

Eh, I liked my Arc too, but I don't expect much from a $30 mouse either. Just think of it as the budget option.

Hokasai
Jan 14, 2011
When buying parts from Newegg, I got a discount on getting a Razer Mamba. I got it for about $70 and it is comfortable, not too heavy and not too light, responsive, and it's wireless option is perfect for when I rearrange my monitors and table for a home theater setup. I didn't notice any drop in responsiveness when switching back and forth between wired and wireless.

Really, though: it's pretty excessive. My only (broken now) Logitec G3 wired was perfectly fine. Don't go overboard with Razer unless you like the extra fidelity and wireless option. As of this post, $120 is just to much for a ricer mouse.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

If you were going to use the Xai for macs, it's not compatible at all. The SteelSeries 9HD works amazing with the Xai as a hard mat and with any other mouse I used in the last 3 months, including a Deathadder and x5 Sidewinder.

I used a glassmat for a while but i didn't like it personally. Laser shouldn't have any issues with glass, but it's best to check and see if there is any issues as it does vary from surface to surface for many mice for tractability.
I switched to one of the Collector's Edition WoW expansion mousemats and the difference was monumental. No-go for the Mamba on a good 'ol IceMat. Makes me kinda sad, I liked my IceMat.

GosuProbe
Apr 14, 2008

Dacke posted:

Well, that kinda sucks. My friend's RAT 7 had the same problem and I keep hearing complaints from people. Anyone here happy with theirs?

Old post but hardly thread necromancy.

Both me and ~my girlfriend~ have used a RAT 7 for about 2 months and both think it's the best mouse. She used to use a G5 and I had the original Sidewinder, and it blows both of them away. She has one of those Razer mousepads (Destructor or something I think) and I just have a bargain Large Cloth Pad (tm), and it tracks better than any mouse I've ever used (I have tried many mice).. I have tried and the only thing I can really complain about is the price, but everything about the mouse itself is just great.. Neither of us have had the 'common problems'.

This is largely anecdotal though, since it obviously varies from person to person.

Dacke posted:

I haven't even had a chance to try one out yet.

The big problem is that at a lot of the super-high end 'gaming' mice are never on display anywhere that I know of so it's impossible to get your hands on them to try them out or feel them in your hands.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Hokasai posted:

When buying parts from Newegg, I got a discount on getting a Razer Mamba. I got it for about $70 and it is comfortable, not too heavy and not too light, responsive, and it's wireless option is perfect for when I rearrange my monitors and table for a home theater setup. I didn't notice any drop in responsiveness when switching back and forth between wired and wireless.

Really, though: it's pretty excessive. My only (broken now) Logitec G3 wired was perfectly fine. Don't go overboard with Razer unless you like the extra fidelity and wireless option. As of this post, $120 is just to much for a ricer mouse.

As someone who owns a Mamba and a Sidewinder X8, the X8 is a vastly superior mouse in every aspect except its mouse wheel. The Mamba's cord docking mechanism is a pain in the rear end compared to the X8's magnetic clip, mouse4 & mouse5 is better with a vertical orientation as opposed to the horizontal, its about half the price, the battery at least seems to last longer and its half the price. The only thing the Mamba has going for it is that the rubber mousewheel is significantly better during longer sessions than the pure metal one the X8 has.

That being said, my next mouse (as soon as I can find one for a reasonable price) will probably be the Steelseries Cataclysm MMO mouse. The Xai laser, fairly ergonomic design, vertical side buttons (the two bottom and top one closest to the rear look like they'll be pretty good for usage), rubber wheel and an onboard memory for a stored profile makes for what looks like it may be the perfect mouse.

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?
Is Microsoft SideWinder X3 Mouse a good budget gamer mouse for under $30.00 bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Christoff posted:

I remember I posted about my rebranded Asus Republic of Gamers mouse that came with my Asus g73 jh and got a lot of pms about it. The original or other version you could buy doesn't have the rubberized surface and has plastic, I think.

Anyways apparently now you can actually buy it. I like this mouse a lot.

Click here for the full 1500x1500 image.

http://www.amazon.com/GX800-3200DPI-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B003QR6F80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294009703&sr=8-1

Could probably find it cheaper elsewhere

All this chatter

*ahem*