Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The 19th Person posted:

She blasted him with a gigantic wall of fire. Even with Elgamore there is a risk of injury. That's at least manslaughter.

Also, these pages suggest that she has pent up anger issues, maybe for a while if not just now.

She didn't blast him with it, she laid it in his path so he couldn't follow her. It's not like he was going to kill himself by intentionally running into a fire. If she'd actually wanted to hurt him she would have hit him with it directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Bremen posted:

She didn't blast him with it, she laid it in his path so he couldn't follow her. It's not like he was going to kill himself by intentionally running into a fire. If she'd actually wanted to hurt him she would have hit him with it directly.

I think we can all agree that the page in question is not 100% clear on what is going on, and so events are slightly open to interpretation. Some of us believe Antimony was blasting Eglamore with fire, while others of us (myself and evidently you, Bremen, included) believe she was placing a wall of fire across the bridge.

Until a more clear explanation is forthcoming either in a future page or from Tom, let's just agree that it was all firey.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I didn't actually think the pages were all that unclear. Looking at 809, the fire is forming a wall across the bridge rather than running down it (look how it's engulfing the lamps, which are on the side of the bridge - it's heading out to the side). In 810, Eglamore is not running away from an advancing fire, he's just shielding himself a little bit from what's there, and he has plenty of time to doodle a fairly complicated design on the bridge with purple chalk to remove the obstacle.

(That doesn't mean that what she did was a particularly great idea, and yeah, someone could have gotten seriously injured, but that also doesn't mean she's an attempted murderess acting out of blind anger.)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I can't believe you guys are actually discussing whether Antimony meant to murder Eaglemore when she
  • is incapable of real evil, homework cheating aside
  • couldn't see clearly who was coming
  • wanted to get away from the court really bad
  • had no idea of her fire mind pyrotechnics, least of all controlling them
  • really, wouldn't hurt a fly unless it meant summoning Ketrak

Well I clearly see now why Tom would want to get rid of his formspring.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

If you have time to draw a hopscotch game, you haven't had a fireball thrown at you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

If you have time to draw a hopscotch game, you haven't had a fireball thrown at you.

Clearly you don't know the martial art of battle hopscotch.

EDIT:

More seriously, I think you'd put in more effort if drawing stuff in chalk is your main defense against offensive magic. That said, I'm on the side of fire wall. While I doubt Annie was thinking clearly in terms of what she was trying to do, Eglamore and the Court are still calm enough to send Jones to try to persuade Annie to come back (assuming they sent her), instead of considering her an Enemy and cutting her off completely.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2011

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I knew I had to be getting to the end of the updates since the suspense was reaching a fever pitch.

The moment I knew the comic was brilliant was when Coyote showed up. Excellent choice of inspiration and I really like how his movement is depicted.

Well, that was much of a Saturday well spent.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ka0 posted:

had no idea of her fire mind pyrotechnics, least of all controlling them

The fire was created using her blinker stone.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The fire was created using her blinker stone.

What reason is there to think that? We haven't seen the blinker stone at all this chapter, and she's part fire elemental.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Elftor posted:

What reason is there to think that? We haven't seen the blinker stone at all this chapter, and she's part fire elemental.

But she didn't know that at the time, and we've seen her make blinker fire before.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Ka0 posted:

I can't believe you guys are actually discussing whether Antimony meant to murder Eaglemore when she
  • is incapable of real evil, homework cheating aside
  • couldn't see clearly who was coming
  • wanted to get away from the court really bad
  • had no idea of her fire mind pyrotechnics, least of all controlling them
  • really, wouldn't hurt a fly unless it meant summoning Ketrak

Well I clearly see now why Tom would want to get rid of his formspring.

As for the actual page where she blasts fire, that looks more like an uncontrolled torrent to me. I could imagine it as she sees someone coming to retrieve her, she blasts fire to ward them off, but due to her emotionally unstable state she VASTLY overcompensates. It wouldn't be intentional but damage could be an end cause.

Like I said before, sometimes I like reinterpreting nice things as secretly horrible. Annie's entire personality is a front to repress her angry fiery real self, and will become an arsonist, murdering dozens of her fellow students, including Kat.

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 10, 2011

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Guava posted:

But she didn't know that at the time, and we've seen her make blinker fire before.

Yeah, but the blinker fire always comes from the blinker stone. She didn't leave it in the river last chapter, and I doubt she got Smitty to throw it down there again. I think she just focused her rage on Eglamore, and fire was the result.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I thought the point of blinker stone was just a focus for the individual's own abilities? We've never seen Mrs Donlan use it for anything other than the signal, so blinker fire would presumeably just be Annie's fire ability manifested via the blinker stone.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
If she chooses to stay and train with kami-samaCoyote on the forest for the martial arts tournamentto learn and develop her elemental fire techniques that blinker stone won't get much use other than for phoning in or snooping around.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Tom's formspring posted:

Was the fire Annie made created by her blinker stone? If so, would it physically burn Eglamore or would it just feel as if he's being burned?

The fire was made from her blinker stone, and it could have burned Eglamore if she wanted it to

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, that's not new at all, is it? I thought it had been established quite a while ago that she could make real fire if she wanted to. It's just that generally, it has been more practical for it not to set things on fire.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I understand why Annie wants to stay, but Kat is going to be sad and that makes me sad. :smith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oooh boy.

I wonder if today's comic indicates Coyote has some sort of hold over Jones, because Jones looked very flustered and human for that panel. So hmmm...

As for Annie, tsk. Taking a suspicious offer for greater power in a brief moment of emotion never works out well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat's never getting her homework back.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Coyote in that last panel is amazing. He's loving this poo poo (although I cannot recall a page he's appeared in where he wasn't loving this poo poo).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pierson posted:

Coyote in that last panel is amazing. He's loving this poo poo (although I cannot recall a page he's appeared in where he wasn't loving this poo poo).

Well, he looked pretty pissed off in the bottom left of

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=497

Oh well, time to voyage into the heart of Coyote's brutal Stalinist regime!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fangz posted:

I wonder if today's comic indicates Coyote has some sort of hold over Jones, because Jones looked very flustered and human for that panel.
Coyote is whooshing around so much that he is disturbing the only part of Jones he can (her hair).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love Coyote. He's so entertaining. I really hope he doesn't end up being a bad guy or anything at the end.

Kat is going to be sad about this :ohdear:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Fangz posted:

I wonder if today's comic indicates Coyote has some sort of hold over Jones, because Jones looked very flustered and human for that panel. So hmmm...
I saw that as a respond to that "you know I can take her if I wish" from http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=818

Jones got outmaneuvered by Coyote because he knew she didn't wish to take Annie after all.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Poor Kat. She was really looking forward to the summer. Annie really isn't being a good friend here.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
I want to see what kind of nice families live in the forest.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Mickey Eye posted:

Poor Kat. She was really looking forward to the summer. Annie really isn't being a good friend here.

As important as their friendship is, I don't think it's the first thing on Annie's mind right now.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Mickey Eye posted:

Yeah, this should be interesting how this is handled.

I'm kind of thinking Kat would be fine with it, I mean, I'm sure she would be allowed to visit. Although, I think it's a definite possibility that Kat may be a bit resentful of the situation but will keep it to herself.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'm dying to know how Annie is going to explain everything.

"so Kat, I was getting your books from your backpack, listen, you'll never guess what happened..."

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Agreeable Employer posted:

I'm sure she would be allowed to visit.

I sincerely doubt this. 1) I expect her to go on the trip anyway, even without Annie. She did it last year and I get the impression it's tradition. 2) Forest is still massively off limits. Annie seems to be the only exception due to good graces with coyote.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
She could give Jones her blinker stone to give to Kat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

She could give Jones her blinker stone to give to Kat.

She'd only be able to talk to Reynardine through that.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Fangz posted:

She'd only be able to talk to Reynardine through that.

She can talk to Kat using the fire-writing thing from the camping trip. Kat can either write stuff down for her to see through the stone, or try talking - don't know if she can hear things through it or not.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mickey Eye posted:

Poor Renard. He was the only one who knows anything who was actually honest with her, and now he's probably stuck as a doll for the summer. The saddest doll.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Staggy posted:

She can talk to Kat using the fire-writing thing from the camping trip. Kat can either write stuff down for her to see through the stone, or try talking - don't know if she can hear things through it or not.

Coyote also taught her to manipulate physical things while using the blinker stone, so she could actually write something down on paper as well.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ka0 posted:

I'm dying to know how Annie is going to explain everything.

"so Kat, I was getting your books from your backpack, listen, you'll never guess what happened..."
Yeah...it all really escalated out of control. Almost killed a teacher by mistake, spending the summer with god. See you next year!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Poor Renard. He was the only one who knows anything who was actually honest with her, and now he's probably stuck as a doll for the summer. The saddest doll.
I wish someone would get him. I think he'd enjoy being able to wander around a little bit.

Coyote also taught her to manipulate physical things while using the blinker stone, so she could actually write something down on paper as well.
Could she give Reynardine permission to come to the forest like that?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I feel like she could, but she's probably preeeetty pissed at Reynardine right now.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Then how would she signal that she wanted to come back

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Then how would she signal that she wanted to come back

"Sorry Kat, need to take the stone back now. Phone me!"
*recalls stone*
*raises signal*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

I feel like she could, but she's probably preeeetty pissed at Reynardine right now.

Not after Coyote dropped the "He-loves-you-bomb" on her.