Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The sun comes in during the day and hits the tank, it looks really cool.

Working on getting those nitrates down. I've now removed all mechanical filters from the system and did a 30% WC over the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Oh and for the first time, I got the idea to use a kitchen scale to mix salt water. It's the best! All I have to do is add 770 grams of salt to a tub of water now to hit my target salinity. I wish I'd gotten this idea earlier, it's so easy to do.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think sunlight hitting your tank is generally advised against as it can cause a lot of extra algae growth. Not sure if that is causing problems for you or not? Also, that is a great idea on the scale. I think some people do by volume. The one thing I would do because I'm paranoid is at least measure the mixed water any time you switch to a new container of salt.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
If it's one of things where it gets sunlight for an hour until the sun shifts, it's usually not a problem. It's when it's getting direct light for a good portion of the day that you'll start getting some massive algae growth.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah, okay. That's good to know. The spot where I want to set up my tank gets a little bit of indirect sunlight quite a ways off the window. Was a bit concerned but I guess that won't be a problem. Thank you.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I heard that was a myth. Something about how most noobs don't have adequate lighting and already have high nutrients so when proper light finally hits their tank it blows up. It only hits the tank a couple hours a day anyways.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Internet Explorer posted:

I think sunlight hitting your tank is generally advised against as it can cause a lot of extra algae growth. Not sure if that is causing problems for you or not? Also, that is a great idea on the scale. I think some people do by volume. The one thing I would do because I'm paranoid is at least measure the mixed water any time you switch to a new container of salt.

Doesnt this aslo depend on how much biomass your system can process? His system looked pretty well established and a nice sand bed. I bet with a decent skimmer he could filter algae production from a few hours of sunlight, right?

@revmoo- What size tank/dimensions are you running there?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
65 gal, 3 feet wide 2 feet tall, 18 inches deep. Sump is 20/30gal I can't remember. It's got a Euro Reef skimmer which works fine but a pain in the rear end to adjust. Also running 4x 39w t5 lights so if there was going to be an algae problem it would have already happened.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

revmoo posted:

65 gal, 3 feet wide 2 feet tall, 18 inches deep. Sump is 20/30gal I can't remember. It's got a Euro Reef skimmer which works fine but a pain in the rear end to adjust. Also running 4x 39w t5 lights so if there was going to be an algae problem it would have already happened.

Do you use your refugium to hold more bioload/grow micro algae or anything of the sort?

Does anyone have any experience with either the Reef Octopus (rio 1400 pump) or the Urchin Pro (OTP 1000 pump) model skimmers?

Dono fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 5, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
edited. DP

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Dono posted:

Do you use your refugium to hold more bioload/grow micro algae or anything of the sort?

Does anyone have any experience with either the Reef Octopus (rio 1400 pump) or the Urchin Pro (OTP 1000 pump) model skimmers?

No, I really want to though. My concern is that light from the fuge will bleed out into the room which I definitely don't want. But I also don't want to block out air exchange from the sump either. I was thinking I could run the light during the same times as the main lights are on, it kind of ruins the whole ph balance thing but I think it would still work ok.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
Octopus skimmers are fantastic. The Aqua-C urchin can vary in preformance a lot, just like the remoras.

If you're going for an in-sump skimmer get the Octopus, I would only go with Aqua-C if I needed a hang on back skimmer and octopus didn't have any good options.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

revmoo posted:

My concern is that light from the fuge will bleed out into the room which I definitely don't want.

Does your cabinet have an open bottom or something?

ludnix posted:

Octopus skimmers are fantastic. The Aqua-C urchin can vary in preformance a lot, just like the remoras.

If you're going for an in-sump skimmer get the Octopus, I would only go with Aqua-C if I needed a hang on back skimmer and octopus didn't have any good options.

Thanks a bunch, I've really heard both sides to the story on either of them. I think the final decision came today when I got my exact dimensions I'll have for the cabinet I'm keeping my sump in and the Urchin needs an additional 6" to remove and clean the collection cup. Which I could definitely not afford.

I have another question:

= I'm making a 4" DSB in my 90gal. That's a lot of sand, so what I'm wondering is do I need to use 100% live sand? Or do I just "seed" it? I'm using 0.5mm-0.125mm size sand to create the bed.

= Should I use my LPS for live sand or are there outlets to explore online that are noted as reliable for good quality live sand?

Dono fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 6, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Deep sand is colonized by bacteria that is different from shallow bed bacteria, so it doesn't matter if your sand is "live" when you buy it.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

arioch posted:

Deep sand is colonized by bacteria that is different from shallow bed bacteria, so it doesn't matter if your sand is "live" when you buy it.

How much seeded sand do I need to fill the top layer? 1"? 0.5"? O just enough to cover a section or two and let it spread?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Dono posted:

Does your cabinet have an open bottom or something?

On the back, yes. So light from a refugium will get out the back and reflect off the walls in the room and look weird. I don't want to block off the back because then it will affect gas exchange.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I've got to replace the flooring in the room my tanks are in, so I've been trying to think of a good way to move the tank without disrupting too much. I'm thinking of moving the live rock with corals into my saltwater mixing bin temporarily, and putting the fish in a bucket. Once I get the tank moved I will put everything back in so it runs normally until I finish replacing the floor. Does anyone have any special considerations I should be thinking about? I don't have any spare heaters except one for a 10g tank, so maybe I'll fill that up with some clean water for a bit.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

Melchior posted:

I've got to replace the flooring in the room my tanks are in, so I've been trying to think of a good way to move the tank without disrupting too much. I'm thinking of moving the live rock with corals into my saltwater mixing bin temporarily, and putting the fish in a bucket. Once I get the tank moved I will put everything back in so it runs normally until I finish replacing the floor. Does anyone have any special considerations I should be thinking about? I don't have any spare heaters except one for a 10g tank, so maybe I'll fill that up with some clean water for a bit.

Rubbermaid tubs work pretty well for holding LR, water, fish, etc. You should go get additional heaters anyways, they fail every once in a while and it's good to have a backup.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

fanaglethebagle posted:

You should go get additional heaters anyways, they fail every once in a while and it's good to have a backup.

Large, single heaters with lovely build quality is what killed off both of my SW tanks, so go with this advice. Steaming fish soup in a clear bowl isn't a pretty sight. :(

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Melchior posted:

You are in luck! I was shmoozing the newbie forums on RC and stumbled upon this thread with 4-5 different guys going through the same issue you are. Hopefully this will give you some help on how to remove and store your corals/fist/etc.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955682

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

On the back, yes. So light from a refugium will get out the back and reflect off the walls in the room and look weird. I don't want to block off the back because then it will affect gas exchange.

Do you have a skimmer? Just run the intake air line outside the cabinet, you're getting more gas exchange from the skimmer than the water's surface anyways.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
And so it begins! Just picked up my 90gal RR tank this morning and I start building a wood finished DIY stand off ReefCentral tomorrow! Just bought/tagged up 80lbs of some nice Hatian/Fiji (I got one really large shelf that looks beautiful) rock that I'll pickup in a week or two (my girlfriend will kill me if I cure it myself and stink up the apartment :lol: )

-R24 refugium from Precision Marine
-Reef Octopus skimmer w/ OTP 1000 pump

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Congrats! I picked up my 90g RR tank a few weeks ago and have been watching Craigslist for equipment. Got some great deals so far. Just need some powerheads and an RO/DI filter, which I am going to get new. Then live rock and sand and that's it. I am also about to start the DIY stand this weekend. I guess we'll see how it goes. :)

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Internet Explorer posted:

Congrats! I picked up my 90g RR tank a few weeks ago and have been watching Craigslist for equipment. Got some great deals so far. Just need some powerheads and an RO/DI filter, which I am going to get new. Then live rock and sand and that's it. I am also about to start the DIY stand this weekend. I guess we'll see how it goes. :)

Once I get my stand going I'll start taking pictures. I'd be interested to see how yours will turn out as well :)

I'm skipping the RO/DI system for now. I just dont have the ability in my current apartment. Maybe in 2 years when I can move somewhere better I'll set something up.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
I'd look at bulkreefsupply.com if you're looking for RO/DI units, they have some of the lowest prices and the quality is supposed to be great.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

ludnix posted:

I'd look at bulkreefsupply.com if you're looking for RO/DI units, they have some of the lowest prices and the quality is supposed to be great.

I got one of their units for christmas, and it is the reason I have to replace the floor. I forgot to turn it off, and it flooded under my laminate flooring! Oops! Strongly considering moving it to the utility room where I can prevent that sort of thing from happening again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Melchior posted:

I got one of their units for christmas, and it is the reason I have to replace the floor. I forgot to turn it off, and it flooded under my laminate flooring! Oops! Strongly considering moving it to the utility room where I can prevent that sort of thing from happening again.

You didn't have a float valve to turn it off? That sucks. :(

Link - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...is-systems.html

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 7, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I generally just make my water 5 gallons at a time anyway (perfect amount for my 10% weekly water change) so it's not much trouble to run out my 3.5gal-ish RO/DI unit reservoir and let it trickle up to the bucket fill line. What sucks is then doing that a couple times to bring up my ATO reservoir.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Can anyone recommend a good all-in-one test kit and a good hydrometer? There are so many out there on the market I'm a little overwhelmed. I don't want to limit myself to electronic devices but I'm trying not to go overboard on spending (no more than 75-100$ for it all).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
What do you need to test? I don't really like any of the all-in-ones, instead I just buy the Salifert box for whatever I need to test (which is nothing, right now, since I have a Hanna for alkalinity and don't really need to care about any of the other stuff).

As far as hydrometers go I'm still using my trusty Milwaukee, but I generally just rely on a bobber for eyeballing since my salinity shouldn't be changing at all with my ATO.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

arioch posted:

What do you need to test? I don't really like any of the all-in-ones, instead I just buy the Salifert box for whatever I need to test (which is nothing, right now, since I have a Hanna for alkalinity and don't really need to care about any of the other stuff).

As far as hydrometers go I'm still using my trusty Milwaukee, but I generally just rely on a bobber for eyeballing since my salinity shouldn't be changing at all with my ATO.

Ammonia, pH, Nitrates, Alkalinity, Calcium, and salinity.

I'm also not sure if it's worth getting an instrument to determine heavy metals if present in the water (I know it's a rarity, but a pretty big detriment). I'm also using a 4" DSB so Im not sure how much a heavy metal will affect me unless in large quantities?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I don't like the all-in-one kits because they're not really accurate enough for reefing and reading them is an iffy chore. For testing the tank cycling (if that's your concern) you can do it relatively easily with any of the common all-in-one kits since you just have to ballpark for the presence of ammonia/nitrites.

I also wouldn't think you'd have to worry about heavy metals unless you're not using RO/DI water(?) and your tank decoration is suspect (I'd start with BRS/Marco/reefcleaners dry rock and a good quality bagged dry/live substrate, personally, to avoid complications like that or hitchhiking pests).

As far as salinity goes you can eyeball it easily with one of the floating tube bobbers (the ones with or without a built-in thermometer) if you have a chamber in a tank where your water surface level isn't disturbed. Otherwise just plop down anywhere from $30 to $50 for one of the "spyglass" ones that are really good. Go with whatever BRS or Premium Aquatics carries, they're good quality.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
Checked more prices today on tanks/stands, and I found that using a 75 gallon tank with a 38 gallon sump/refugium is going to be cheaper than going with a 90 gallon and my old 20 gallon pulling cleaning duties. There is only a 4" difference in height between the 90 and 75, and I really like the idea of going overkill on the sump/refugium at a ~1:2 ratio instead of the more anemic ~1:4 ratio I originally planned on.

Just about the same total gallons in the entire system, and the livestock would be much better served by such a large sump in relation to the display tank, barring utter retardation in the stock levels.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
The 75 with a 38 gallon sump sounds like a good way to go, 75 gallons are a nice size.

I always run my ro/di unit on a float switch. I have a bladder tank that will store 2 gallons for topping off and drinking water, but whenever I do a water change I connect it to a trash can with float switch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Anyone have any experience with a Ultra Red Fin Flasher Wrasse? (http://www.aquacon.com/images/FlasherWrasseRedFin.jpg) I am looking for the perfect third fish for my tank and this guy struck my interest. He is 64.99 on aquacon and i've seen no complaints about aggression toward shrimp/other fish. My only other fish are a semipicasso clown and a tiger watchman goby, so I think if he stays away from the goby's cave he should be fine, but I'm mostly worried about him picking on my clown.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
I had one of them called a russet fairy wrasse that was a perfect inhabitant, the only aggression I ever saw was flashing my other wrasses and tangs but nothing more.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Well there are multiple species of wrasse, this one isn't very well documented from what I have found...as long as he doesn't hurt my clown I think he'll be OK, considering I'm sure my goby could hold his own against anything based on his frequent assaults on my hand whenever I try to put anything in the tank.

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Yeah, mine was the same exact thing but had purple and blue tips to the fins, they're just varieties of the red flasher wrasse. They don't hurt anything though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cool...well, I ordered him, will post pics unless he murders everything.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Speaking of refugiums, I finally got mine set up this weekend. Will be somewhat of a "show" refugium, gonna add some seahorses to it once some pods get built up. Friend just tore his tank down Wed so I was able to snag some good live sand, we washed it out with his old tank water to preserve the life in it, worms and all sorts of critters are in it. Anyways here are some pictures.

The fuge is a 30 tall which connects to a 20 sump with the main tank being a 75. Please ignore the cyno, it doesn't bother me but some people don't like it, the fuge should help clean it up. This tank used to have a 18 tall that was filled to the max with algae but broke during a tank move back in sept.

I bought this acan below as a single polyp, was marketed as orange crush at the LFS, but as it grew more and more green showed up.

One of my favorite plates, I've had him for over 2 years now.

Good friends with the gents at one of the LFS in town, got this awesome Wellsophyllia for just formatting and reinstalling windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
What lighting do you have over the 75?

• Locked thread