Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
So I was playing around with the numbers for the first 4 or 5 levels, and it almost seems like I have too many feats. After level 4 I have no idea what to even take since my BAB is only +4, so I can't get the last few things that require either a higher BAB or higher levels in fighter.

Here's how I broke it down.

Char Level 1 - Fighter (human) 1 (3 feats) - PB Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot - BAB +1
Char level 2 - Monk 1 (1 bonus feat) - Dodge - BAB +1
Char level 3 - Monk 2 (2 feats) - Weapon Focus (monk bonus feat), Deadly Aim - BAB +2
Char level 4 - Fighter 2 (1 bonus feat) - Imp Initiative - BAB +3
Char level 5 - Fighter 3 - ??? - BAB +4

I have no idea how to proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, if you absolutely have no other use for feats, you can always throw in Toughness, the saving throw boosters (though for once that's actually not near as important thanks to the monk levels), or start tossing things in for melee-range combat: Weapon Focus (greatsword) and Power Attack or something.

Other situationally useful feats:
- Blindfight (if you're human, you don't have lowlight vision/blindsight, so possibly useful)
- Endurance (solely for Diehard)
- Far Shot (really situational--I don't know Kingmaker and if it'd come up)
- Fleet (help keep away from enemies, and depending on your character flavor, might be good for 'being a monk' without having that actual class feature)
- Focused Shot (if you happen to also have an intelligence bonus after all your other ability requirements)
- Improved Grapple, or any equivalent boosting feat (If you want to mess around with the combat maneuvers when you get into melee)
- Quick Draw (this is especially good if you have a back-up melee weapon and so may shift from one to the other in one fight)
- Mobility (to work towards Shot on the Run)

If none of that sounds appealing, you can dip into the "Serene" Barbarian type or maybe Paladin. Those will give you full BAB and random other features you might feel useful.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
See if you can talk to any of the people you're playing with about taking teamwork feats. Several of these are really, really excellent. You're not a caster so I'm not sure I'd bother with improved initiative but it isn't bad I guess. You could also take Step Up (and then later Following Step and Step up and Strike) which is a very good feat if you think you're going to be facing off against some casters, and with their high saves monks make great anti-caster builds. If you wanted to do that you could look at the "Disrupting" feats as well.

edit: You could also consider deflect arrows for a nice defensive boost while you're standing back and shooting from range. I think ZeeToo's suggestion to take Focused Shot is the best idea though. As long as you haven't totally dumped intelligence, you can always pick up things to boost it later on which will give you convenient damage bonuses. Though I guess you could wait on taking this. Toughness is always a great idea if you haven't prioritized Con though.

grah fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 15, 2010

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Going to take another shot at getting a working Pathfinder game up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376468

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
FYI, Paizo.com has a 10% off whole order code going until the end of Jan. Still cheaper to buy stuff off Amazon or whatever, but it's something if you prefer to order directly as they obviously get stuff sooner... such as the Bestiary 2 that just came out which most retailers won't get for another week or so. PDF will be avail on Weds.

~

The OP is in need of an update. Suggested changes/additions:

The core books have expanded... we now have the Advanced Player's Guide, The GameMastery Guide, Bestiary 2, and soon to be released Ultimate Magic. Playtests are available for download, one of which is a new base class, the Magus.

The Golarion Campaign guide is out of print and being rereleased with new/edited content next year: Inner Sea World Guide. Also, a Player's guide to the setting is now available: Inner Sea Primer.

A line of fiction books based on the Golarion setting have been added to the product line, Pathfinder Tales.

Herolab is now the only officially licensed character gen software package for Pathfinder. You also now have the privilege of sinking more money into it via addon packs with data sets from just about every book.

D20Pro now supports import from the Hero Lab Bestiary add on. Mindgene is looking at selling prepackaged campaign packs... possibly for Paizo AP modules, which would be pretty awesome.

The Pathfinder wiki at Wikia has been 'abandoned' and everyone has moved to http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/

There is now another Pathfinder podcast at http://www.justiceradio.net/podcast/

I think it's also worth adding Kobold Quarterly as its pretty much the only print magazine that covers Pathfinder stuffs.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Dear Paizo,

gently caress ultimate magic, spellcasters are already pretty cool.

Instead, how about working on your own version of the book of nine swords aka the best 3.5 book ever written

thanks,

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

metachronos posted:

Dear Paizo,

gently caress ultimate magic, spellcasters are already pretty cool.

Instead, how about working on your own version of the book of nine swords aka the best 3.5 book ever written

thanks,

This. It's almost as if they're admitting "well, no one smart plays fighters anyway".

Also Book of Nine Swords is literally the only RPG book in my life that while reading a huge smile spread itself stealthily across my face.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Cyphoderus posted:

This. It's almost as if they're admitting "well, no one smart plays fighters anyway".

Also Book of Nine Swords is literally the only RPG book in my life that while reading a huge smile spread itself stealthily across my face.

hell yeah buddy

:hfive:

warblade is my favorite class ever, a pathfinder variant would be pretty cool

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

James Jacobs (Paizo's Creative Director, though not the main rules designer) has, by his own admission, never even read Bo9S, let alone thought about rules along those lines. Ultimate Combat should be coming out sometime in 2011, though.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

He should rectify that then. I fail to see what interesting things ultimate combat could bring to the table other than rules along the lines of Bo9s. Maybe something like Iron Heroes or an exalted-lite stunt system.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, there's also the option of something like the "Dungeoncrasher" fighter variant.

Pity PF is essentially locked into the 3.5 Fighter idea; I'd seen a few other suggested houseruled classes that would have made for pretty nifty fighters that can actually hold their own against casters, though they wouldn't have been so familiar, either.

One I saw gave fighters full good saves, extra reach with every weapon, and the ability to follow 5ft steps, so a wizard couldn't just get away by shuffling away and casting Will Save-or-Lose or Wall of gently caress You. Still wasn't as good, but was much more comparable. If that had been the PF Fighter, I would have been very pleased. Just at the moment, I can't even find it, though...

e: Here it is. Figures I find it immediately after posting.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 10, 2011

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

ZeeToo posted:

e: Here it is. Figures I find it immediately after posting.

Heh. Frank Trollman's fighter fix.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Kvantum posted:

James Jacobs (Paizo's Creative Director, though not the main rules designer) has, by his own admission, never even read Bo9S, let alone thought about rules along those lines. Ultimate Combat should be coming out sometime in 2011, though.

I actually got emailed by the Paizo mods and was basically told to shut the gently caress up because I basically called JJ out on this. I had lots of fun playing 3.5, but even I can admit that Bo9S was a great idea on how to run melee heavy classes. I've started huge fights on the Paizo boards about this, and it still boggles my mind that the Bo9S is not used as the foundation for running D&D/PF fighters.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I actually got emailed by the Paizo mods and was basically told to shut the gently caress up because I basically called JJ out on this. I had lots of fun playing 3.5, but even I can admit that Bo9S was a great idea on how to run melee heavy classes. I've started huge fights on the Paizo boards about this, and it still boggles my mind that the Bo9S is not used as the foundation for running D&D/PF fighters.

What a shame. My first character ever was a poorly-optimized straight fighter who spent 15+ levels being outshined by druids, warlocks and just about everyone else. By the time I found out about Bo9s it was too late. It made me sad to see that while pathfinder fixed a lot of things, fighters were not changed very much.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Once you realize that you can't have a good idea if you work at WotC it makes sense.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

metachronos posted:

He should rectify that then. I fail to see what interesting things ultimate combat could bring to the table other than rules along the lines of Bo9s. Maybe something like Iron Heroes or an exalted-lite stunt system.

The problem in this case is that paizo keeps an ear to their own community, and their own community hates:

Encounter Based Design
Martial Characters gaining narrative control through class features
Splatbook classes that are more competent than core classes (is your fighter variant better than fighter in ever way? bad design).

The only way I could see this being better received is if they used a system of martial points. They work much like power points, and they are flavored like psionics used to be. Complete physical mastery or something over ones body.

You then get class abilities that you can augment with points, until they basically become useful 4e/bo9s manuevers. Putting it in that backwards framework is the only way to not get pf's official rabid fanbase that gets what they want to back down.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Red_Mage posted:

Heh. Frank Trollman's fighter fix.

Is it? v:shobon:v

It's still about as nice a fix as you're going to get if your initial feelings on the matter are that magic can do anything if the caster gets one spell off and that people with weapons can't so anything on that scale, so it's about as good as you're going to get, here.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Red_Mage posted:

The problem in this case is that paizo keeps an ear to their own community, and their own community hates:

Encounter Based Design
Martial Characters gaining narrative control through class features
Splatbook classes that are more competent than core classes (is your fighter variant better than fighter in ever way? bad design).

The only way I could see this being better received is if they used a system of martial points. They work much like power points,...

The only thing Paizo hates more than functional melee combatants is points systems. Not gonna happen.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Kvantum posted:

The only thing Paizo hates more than functional melee combatants is points systems. Not gonna happen.

They used one for their utterly retarded monk fix. They use them in a variant way for the Summoner class. I could see them pulling out a PP based psionic warrior-alike. It would be a joke compared to a summoner eidolon or a well buffed cleric, but whatever, it would still be a step in the right direction, and maybe even have the ability to show of CMB/CMD which in my opinion is really the only new thing Pathfinder brings to the table.

I feel really really bad for monks. Even trailblazer, which is one of the best mechanical analysis' of 3.x and which manages to fix most every problem if you implement their fixes, didn't really do it. I almost want to bust out 3.5 for a session and try my fix (trailblazer modified flurry of blows can only be used off an attack made after moving, and not off a full attack), just to see if I am wildly off base.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
I'm not sure you can really say that paizo hates the idea of power point systems. The Magus fighter/wizard hybrid class also users a point system for fueling some of its abilities in its most recent revision, and the monk uses them as was pointed out.

Speaking of which, while normal monks are still pretty far behind the curve the Zen Archer variant from the APG can be a very nasty combatant, especially at early to mid levels where it has access to feats with otherwise daunting prerequisites.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

grah posted:

Speaking of which, while normal monks are still pretty far behind the curve the Zen Archer variant from the APG can be a very nasty combatant, especially at early to mid levels where it has access to feats with otherwise daunting prerequisites.

I am still intensely disappointed Paizo left wind wall in a state where it blocks all arrows. Thats the biggest "gently caress You!" to martial classes in the game, both for the players (who a sane dm would hopefully never use it against because it is stupid and unfun) and the dm when his players start abusing it. The iconic Skeleton Archer? Utterly worthless compared to a 2nd/3rd level spell.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, it sucks to have someone who can completely shut down your abilities and render you utterly useless in a fight. Casters have this problem with anti-magic and spell resistance. So they complained, and got spells that shut down anti-magic and spell resistance.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So in the PF campaign I'm in we just got a city and are supposed to purchase gear. Except by purchase, apparently we're supposed to make the gear we want, because apparently everything we can imagine is being sold here.

I hate, god drat hate, item creation. I'm a fourth level Inquisitor with about 10,800 gold to blow. Any suggestions? I already have a +2 Longsword and have an AC of 17 with my hide armor, but that's about it. Any ideas?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Gr3y posted:

So in the PF campaign I'm in we just got a city and are supposed to purchase gear. Except by purchase, apparently we're supposed to make the gear we want, because apparently everything we can imagine is being sold here.

I hate, god drat hate, item creation. I'm a fourth level Inquisitor with about 10,800 gold to blow. Any suggestions? I already have a +2 Longsword and have an AC of 17 with my hide armor, but that's about it. Any ideas?

What's going on in your campaign? There's probably some kind of spell you'd like to have at your fingertips frequently, or some kind of mount maybe.

Boots of speed are always nice, or a handy metamagic rod. Half casters especially can usually use a rod of persistent spell to compensate for their less than stellar save DCs. Or a rod of still spell is always good to keep tucked away in one hand in case you get grappled.

Your AC is also fairly low if you want to mix it up in melee, which inquisitors are pretty good at. Do you have a ring of protection and an amulet of natural armor and +1 or more on your armor, and possibly on a shield?

If you don't use a shield because inquisitors aren't proficient, and prefer to hang back and shoot arrows or spells, you might cconsider gloves of arrow snaring, or bracers of archery too. That's all that comes to mind now.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

grah posted:

If you don't use a shield because inquisitors aren't proficient, and prefer to hang back and shoot arrows or spells, you might cconsider gloves of arrow snaring, or bracers of archery too. That's all that comes to mind now.

Masterwork light shields don't have any penalty for nonproficiency, so unless you need the hand, why not?
And if you do need that hand then I guess you gotta wait for the Animated version.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

10,800 gp - 9000 gp to make your armor into +3 Hide Armor leaves you 1800 gp.

Seriously, if your armor isn't already at least +3 (or maybe +2 with a +1 equivalent ability) then up the bonus on your armor.

Though you do have just enough to up your weapon from +2 (8000 gp) to +3 (18000 gp).

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A couple of rods of lesser extend will be your friend if you like buffing at all!! Lesser rods of empower are also cool, although I'm not really familiar with the inquisitor spell list.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
I'm thinking Rhino Hide Armor and upping my sword with a Merciful enhancement. That way on a charge I'm doing 1d8+4d6+5 subdual damage. Along with that heavy wooden shield that has no armor check penalty I should be at AC 20 and splattering a fair number of critters.

That leaves me with about 3k left. What can I do to really mess poo poo up? I'm leaning towards an Eversmoking Bottle and taking blindfight for my next feat.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Well keep in mind that if you're fighting something like undead or constructs you'll have to spend an action to suppress merciful.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
My only inquisitor build I ever messed with was a dex build. It worked out to something pretty silly like 22AC while using a bow, dealing an assload of damage with each shot when buffed and judged up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Red_Mage posted:

They used one for their utterly retarded monk fix. They use them in a variant way for the Summoner class. I could see them pulling out a PP based psionic warrior-alike. It would be a joke compared to a summoner eidolon or a well buffed cleric, but whatever, it would still be a step in the right direction, and maybe even have the ability to show of CMB/CMD which in my opinion is really the only new thing Pathfinder brings to the table.

I feel really really bad for monks. Even trailblazer, which is one of the best mechanical analysis' of 3.x and which manages to fix most every problem if you implement their fixes, didn't really do it. I almost want to bust out 3.5 for a session and try my fix (trailblazer modified flurry of blows can only be used off an attack made after moving, and not off a full attack), just to see if I am wildly off base.

The playtest version of Magus for Ultimate is points-based as well, after the style of the psi-warrior system out of 3.5.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 14, 2011

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I've been recently playing in a PF game with 3.5 material. We've started at 7th level, and have recently reached 10th. Most of my party is fairly well-optimized. We have:
  • My character, a dragonborn whisper gnome dragonfire adept. She (ab)uses entangling exhalation slow breath and Quicken SLA voracious dispelling. Her small size and the improved PF skill system gives her a Stealth almost as good as the swordsage, giving her a secondary scout role. Scales + twilight mithril chain shirt and a twilight mithril shield give her a good AC, while her HP are through the roof because her only important stat is Con.
  • The unarmed swordsage, who is our tank/damage dealer. He specializes in Desert Wind and Shadow Hand maneuvers, and is constantly punching people in the back of the head with fire. He also has mountain hammer for breaking poo poo.
  • The ice-focused sorceress, who mostly uses direct damage with a handful of save-or-sucks in her repertoire. We use her for crowd control (her area attacks are bigger than mine, for now).
  • The cleric, who is focused on healing, but also has buffs and save-or-sucks. A couple of times, she has used summoned monsters.
  • A bard, who only joined recently. I don't know much about how she fights.
We've been having fun with it, and haven't really run into any of its problems. I enjoy the simplified skill system, which makes 4+Int skills/level go a lot farther.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Which Pathfinder class/build/role/prestige class has the most personal agency? What sort of character will allow me to interact most freely with the world, without fear of retribution from party members and capable of handling or escaping from reasonable threats? I'm not talking about anything that like an infinite loop of damage or hit points or anything, just a fun character to play. I'm an old 3.5 veteran but I made the move over to 4E years ago and haven't played Pathfinder yet.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Tactical Bonnet posted:

My only inquisitor build I ever messed with was a dex build. It worked out to something pretty silly like 22AC while using a bow, dealing an assload of damage with each shot when buffed and judged up.

After get my gear sorted I'm going to be doing on a flanking charge:
1d8 sword + 1d6 precision + 2d6 + 5 and whatever bonuses I can find.

Next level I get to add another 2d6 to that from bane.

Are the Vital Strike feats worth it or will monster HP scale past damage output fairly fast?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Zemyla posted:

I've been recently playing in a PF game with 3.5 material.

I see you've got some Book of Nine Swords classes in there. How compatible rules- and balance-wise do you find that material to be with Pathfinder? A friend of mine is running World's Largest Dungeon under 3.5E with Pathfinder classes and some of the more sensible rules, and my cursory overview of BoNS makes it seem like a good fit.

Also, anyone have any advice on Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer versus Wizard for a World's Largest Dungeon run?

Strontosaurus posted:

Which Pathfinder class/build/role/prestige class has the most personal agency? What sort of character will allow me to interact most freely with the world, without fear of retribution from party members and capable of handling or escaping from reasonable threats? I'm not talking about anything that like an infinite loop of damage or hit points or anything, just a fun character to play. I'm an old 3.5 veteran but I made the move over to 4E years ago and haven't played Pathfinder yet.

Frankly, if this is a concern of yours then I suspect your problem isn't a character build, it's your group dynamic. Would you mind posting the circumstances surrounding this request, maybe in an applicable thread?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I've never met any of the players. They're friends of my sister. I hope there's no problems with the group dynamic.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Strontosaurus posted:

I've never met any of the players. They're friends of my sister. I hope there's no problems with the group dynamic.

Then if you don't mind my asking, why are you concerned about your degree of personal agency, and why are you worried about retribution from party members? These things aren't normal concerns in most RPGs.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Probably cleric is your best bet. Or maybe bard. Those are the "do-anything" classes, with the cleric being the "pick something and do it awesomely" one.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I think he just means a character that isn't super dependent on the rest of the party (fighter) and without too much potential to gently caress up other players if you do something a little wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Sure, we'll go with a guy who isn't super dependent on the rest of the party. I know casters are godlike, but that seems like a boring way to go about it. There are some cool sounding PrCs on the wiki, but a lot of the pages are stubs. What's a cool Pathfinder prestige class for clerics?

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 17, 2011