Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

BigPoopMayor posted:

Tell me the name of the 2d Platformer game for PC that you played as a ball, and would have to change into different balls to solve different puzzles; glass, hard rubber, bouncy rubber etc. I may be completely wrong but I remember the name being something like "The Long Journey"

Ballance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigPoopMayor posted:

Tell me the name of the 2d Platformer game for PC that you played as a ball, and would have to change into different balls to solve different puzzles; glass, hard rubber, bouncy rubber etc. I may be completely wrong but I remember the name being something like "The Long Journey"

Gish?

The Longest Journey is probably the title you're thinking of, but I can assure you that game doesn't resemble your description in any way :v:

pseudodraconis
Apr 8, 2007
Can anyone identify the plant in this photo? E-mail the address on that page if you can, but I'd also like to know, so please reply here, too.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

BigPoopMayor posted:

Within A Deep Forest?

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho

Travakian posted:

Within A Deep Forest?

YES Dear god thank you.

Google searching for "Ball Game" wasn't working. :unsmith:

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
Does anyone know any real life examples of the following situation? A couple breaks up once, or twice, gets back together, ends up getting married, and has a successful marriage.

I am under the impression that it's not possible.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Liface posted:

Does anyone know any real life examples of the following situation? A couple breaks up once, or twice, gets back together, ends up getting married, and has a successful marriage.

Many people I know have been in that situation. The stresses of a relationship are usually external, and the dynamics change once you are living together in marriage. For many people once they commit and are sharing a life the external pressures become positive pressure.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Liface posted:

My parents did this. They met when they were like 16, and dated throughout high-school. My mom went to University to be a hospital lab technician, and my dad bought a motorcycle and worked in a garage. My mom dumped him at this point, because "he was kind of a loser who didn't plan on doing anything with his life." A year later, the garage went out of business, he enrolled in an Electrical Engineering program at the same University, and they got back together. They married four or five years later, have been happily married for the past 25 years, and have three children.

Edit: My parents' relationship is not your relationship, or your friend's relationship. This is an anecdote, not advice.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 9, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So when the verizon CDMA iphone comes out, can I just jailbreak one and activate it under sprint?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Liface posted:

Are you asking this because you are in such a relationship where you two keep going back and forth?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

So when the verizon CDMA iphone comes out, can I just jailbreak one and activate it under sprint?

Not at all.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Liface posted:

My wife and I, we were "just friends" first, then stopped talking when it became too much of a relationship, started talking, dated, broke up, didnt talk for months, started talking again, moved in together, now we are married and have a baby. We have a great marriage. :D

We will both admit however, that we never thought we would end up together.

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well
Every one in a while on Firefox, websites like Something Awful and TSN will display like this and this. It goes away eventually, usually after a few hours or something, but it's extremely annoying and seems to happen randomly. Internet Explorer never has any problems like this. Anyone know what's going on?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Soal_Fish posted:

Every one in a while on Firefox, websites like Something Awful and TSN will display like this and this. It goes away eventually, usually after a few hours or something, but it's extremely annoying and seems to happen randomly. Internet Explorer never has any problems like this. Anyone know what's going on?

For some reason the style/CSS information isn't being translated/rendered. Hold Shift and click the reload button and things should clear right up, as your computer requests the relevant information.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm going to be spending 6+ months cycling through Central + South America later this year so would like to pick up some basic Spanish. What online resources can people recommend? Google gives a lot of hits but I'd like some that others have actually used and found good. Living in Korea there's not much of a local Spanish speaking population to practice with and the books in the bookstores aren't that great.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Soal_Fish posted:

Your stylesheet hasn't loaded properly. This normally happens to me when I'm downloading at high speeds so I imagine firefox is losing packets that would be stylesheets and other attached files, stuff that isn't hardcoded into the html document.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Soal_Fish posted:

browser things

Hey, I just wanted to say, gently caress yes pimpzilla.

As for my question, a friend of mine used my cast iron skillet a few months ago while I was away from my apartment and didn't clean it. I return home to find it rusting in spots. :( What do I do?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Huntersoninski posted:

Hey, I just wanted to say, gently caress yes pimpzilla.

As for my question, a friend of mine used my cast iron skillet a few months ago while I was away from my apartment and didn't clean it. I return home to find it rusting in spots. :( What do I do?

Scrub the rust away and re-season it. Cast Iron is basically indestructible, and the solution to just about any problem is to scrub and re-season.

For more specific advice there's the Goons with Spoons general questions thread, or the actual cast iron thread.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 9, 2011

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well

FreshFeesh posted:

For some reason the style/CSS information isn't being translated/rendered. Hold Shift and click the reload button and things should clear right up, as your computer requests the relevant information.

Thank you sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DVD Drive posted:

What's a good storefront site for selling old junk if you don't want to use eBay? I've only ever used eBay and I don't really know how those storefront stores work.

It's not quite the same but if you have old electronics you want to be rid of, try http://www.gazelle.com/ You tell them what you have that you want rid of, they tell you the price they'll pay you based on condition (some stuff they won't pay for but they will properly recycle for you) and then you print out a UPS or FedEx label from them, put your stuff in a box, attach the label, and drop it off at a UPS or FedEx location.

They'll pay you in either a check mailed to you, a paypal deposit, or Amazon.com credit.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Two completely unrelated questions:

My forearms are dainty, to say the least. I realized this for the umpteenth time just over a week ago when I struggled to properly throw a 10lb. bowling ball down a lane and came away with a sore arm after one game. What would be a good forearm workout that I could perform without spending any or much money? I have in my possession a couple of 10lb. dumbbells that may be of use.

Also:

What causes gravity?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Apple iPhoto question:

I just merged two events, which are comprised of photos from two different cameras operating over the same general period. Is it possible to organize the photos by the time they were taken? If so, how?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Raimundus posted:

Two completely unrelated questions:

My forearms are dainty, to say the least. I realized this for the umpteenth time just over a week ago when I struggled to properly throw a 10lb. bowling ball down a lane and came away with a sore arm after one game. What would be a good forearm workout that I could perform without spending any or much money? I have in my possession a couple of 10lb. dumbbells that may be of use.

Lots of curls. Use those dumbbells to flex your forearm at the wrist (start with the weight hanging down, then bring your fist up towards your arm as many times as you can stand.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Raimundus posted:

Also:
What causes gravity?

2 physics views:
1. Space is warped. (General Relativity) (read Elijya's post two down for full explication)
2. Massed bodies shoot out sticky bits that attract things. (Quantum Theory)

#1 is supported by various experimental results. #2 is predicted by an otherwise completely vetted theory, but has no experimental support.

But it is probably better to recognize that the entirety of science just is, for no reason whatsoever. Scientists come up with different ways of describing what is, for different purposes, usually predictive power. But they are always describing, with their equations, what is, not explaining why it is.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 10, 2011

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

kapalama posted:

But it is probably better to recognize that the entirety of science just is, for no reason whatsoever. Scientists come up with different ways of describing what is, for different purposes, usually predictive power. But they are always describing, with their equations, what is, not explaining why it is.

Yeah, but this is one of those fairly obvious and possibly necessary "why" questions. Gravity is the only reason that large groups of matter can exist as they do.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Raimundus posted:

What causes gravity?

It depends how in-depth of an answer you want here, as it gets pretty complex, and the actual answers as to the ultimate cause aren't still fully understood. But the short answer is that it's caused by matter. The presence of matter actually warps space, and the greater the concentration of matter, the more space is warped and gravity near that mass is stronger.

Typically when trying to convey the idea of gravity, it helps to think of a 2 dimensional space. Are you familiar at all with flatland? Take a stretched out piece of fabric for example. The fabric represents space itself. Place a baseball on it, and the fabric will sink where the ball is, right? Now place a bowling ball, and the fabric will sink even more in that spot. If you have both the baseball and the bowling ball near each other on the fabric, they're going to race towards each other, although the baseball will move a lot faster since the greater attraction is to the larger mass that is having a greater effect on the fabric. Essentially this is why you stick to the Earth. The Earth is so big it's warping the fabric of space so much that you're pulled right towards it.

Now start with the bowling ball in the middle, and think of it like the sun. Roll the baseball along the fabric towards the bowling ball at different angles and at different speeds, and you will observe several different things: The ball may fall right into the 'sun'; the ball may zip around it and come back out escaping the influence of the depression made by the 'sun' (this is known as a parabolic trajectory). Or the baseball may enter into an 'orbit' around the bowling ball. Perfectly circular orbits are nearly impossible, and so you're likely to end up with an elliptical orbit.

Now, you're probably only rolling the baseball at a few miles per hour, and friction will decrease that, so as the baseball loses speed it's orbit will get smaller and smaller. On a planetary scale, space is essentially frictionless, so whatever speed you're going is what speed you'll pretty much stay, so the size and shape of your orbit pretty much stays the same and only changes very slowly.

The outstretched fabric example is two dimensional, with the warping of the fabric being in the third dimension. Where gravity is concerned, the fabric of space is 3 dimensional, and the presence of matters warps it in a 4th direction we can sense but not exactly perceive. (any science geeks can feel free to correct me on that though)

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
nm

Pizer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 10, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

TremendousMajestic posted:

Apple iPhoto question:

I just merged two events, which are comprised of photos from two different cameras operating over the same general period. Is it possible to organize the photos by the time they were taken? If so, how?

If you get no love here you might try:

Small Mac Software Questions:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2682424

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

When did you (whoever wants to answer who is not a marijuana smoker) first become aware of 4:20 as a codeword for smoking marijuana?

I first noticed it about 7 years ago.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

When did you (whoever wants to answer who is not a marijuana smoker) first become aware of 4:20 as a codeword for smoking marijuana?

If it counts, I first noticed 420 as a codeword around the tail-end of the 90s, well before I'd ever smoked pot. But that might just be because I was in my late teens then, when you're more likely to hear that stuff.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

kapalama posted:

Freshman year of high school, 1999. Someone had scratched "420" into a desk and the teacher gave us a lecture about it. I had no idea what it was at the time and found the whole thing very amusing.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

1993, maybe earlier, but definitely that early. We were told that a "420" was a police code somewhere for people smoking teh weeds; that was probably apocryphal, though I've never snopesed it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is the term "Aussie" offensive when used by an American to describe something Australian ("Aussie hotels")? Or is it seen as obnoxious or an affectation? (I like using "Cheers" to close out emails and the word "wanker", but some online style guide said that they would be annoying when used by a non-British person.)

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
Is there a way in firefox for me to find out like a "referrer" for a tab? The page on which I clicked the link that opened the tab.

For if I have some weird tab open for a week or something and wondering where the hell did I click a link to that?

Very Strange Things posted:

1993, maybe earlier, but definitely that early. We were told that a "420" was a police code somewhere for people smoking teh weeds; that was probably apocryphal, though I've never snopesed it.

I remember first hearing it around 93ish too, my sophomore year in HS and my 1st year smoking up. I also remember reading about its origin way back then too, it was in either high times or on some weed-related fidonet board. All I remember from that was "it was possibly a police-code on hawaii five-o for dope-smoking in progress or it was taken by stoners from an anti-weed campaign's sensational type omg 420 different chemicals contained in the smoke"

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 10, 2011

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Is the term "Aussie" offensive when used by an American to describe something Australian ("Aussie hotels")? Or is it seen as obnoxious or an affectation? (I like using "Cheers" to close out emails and the word "wanker", but some online style guide said that they would be annoying when used by a non-British person.)
Aussie is fine. "Wanker" and "cheers" coming from an American just sounds pretentious and, well, wanker-y. Although bear in mind I'm speaking as a neighbor - kiwi - not a legit Aussie.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

'Wanker' is reserved for Brits, but 'cheers' is acceptable

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
What's it called when someone creates a problem for a solution instead of the other way around?

The best example of this phenomenon I can think of are the "Black and White World" infomercials. I'm pretty sure it's a marketing term.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

What's it called when someone creates a problem for a solution instead of the other way around?

The best example of this phenomenon I can think of are the "Black and White World" infomercials. I'm pretty sure it's a marketing term.

I don't think this is quite it, but it reminds me of the Law of the Instrument--when all you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

This isn't quite it, but it's an interesting article about the similar phenomenon in the health products and pharmaceutical industry -because the first thing I thought of when you posted that was "Restless Leg Syndrome".

http://www.drfranklipman.com/creating-disease-big-pharma-and-disease-mongering/