Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Someone was spamming hundreds upon hundreds of christmas trees in Borealis.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

The lag was... magnificent. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I still have some sealed up santa costumes from years back.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Fewd posted:

Someone was spamming hundreds upon hundreds of christmas trees in Borealis.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

The lag was... magnificent. :iamafag:

It's like an 70's Doctor Who intro.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Anyone going to be playing tonight? I'm getting bored on my Doctor- I can kill pretty much any mob I run across during missions soloing because I can keep myself alive indefinitely, but my DPS sucks so it takes forever to kill anything (and I have to babysit my health the entire time). I need to find somebody to group with :(

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!
This thread got me so excited about AO that I resubbed after about 2 years away. I can't remember how to do anything, even use chat, and I managed to take off a helmet that I don't have the stats to put back on.

It took me all of 5 minutes to remember why I gave up on this game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't think for even one moment I enjoyed the whole OE bullshit. What an annoying mechanic.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
wtb wrangle

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't think for even one moment I enjoyed the whole OE bullshit. What an annoying mechanic.

The alternatives are even more bullshitty, would you prefer items being level locked instead? Or "soulbound"? At least the OE mechanic provides cool twinking opportunities and you can move your stuff later.

Also, thought I'd toss a reminder that roflbot seems to be alive and kicking. I just haven't seen many people there. Was on it some hours yesterday but only saw one guy.

/tell roflbot !join

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Overequipping always seemed a logical aspect of twinking to me, and I like having to factor it in, even though I've never been a hardcore twinker. I learned to be careful what I click the first time I accidentally unequipped something that took most of a day to put on. Funnier in hindsight!

For actual content/updates, to everyone keeping track of the game's progress, Joystiq's running a poll on what the next Choose My Adventure game will be, and AO's one of the choices. I'm voting just to see Hindman's take on AO.

I'm also happy to note that Maple Story's only getting 1.3% of the votes right now. gently caress Maple Story.

Mmm. Twinking. Urge to relapse... rising...

edit: Linked the right page this time! Go me!

tentacles fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 7, 2011

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Future Son posted:

This thread got me so excited about AO that I resubbed after about 2 years away. I can't remember how to do anything, even use chat, and I managed to take off a helmet that I don't have the stats to put back on.

It took me all of 5 minutes to remember why I gave up on this game.

I know its not much help now but you can now lock equipment slots so that you don't accidentally do this. I'm probably coming back to this game after I get bored of wow again. This game always draws me back in. Its mechanics like overequiping and the challenges it presents are what make me love this game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Fewd posted:

The alternatives are even more bullshitty, would you prefer items being level locked instead? Or "soulbound"?

Yes. OE was idiotic and basically made huge swathes of the game content pointless because players would outpace it without even leaving Rome. If a L5 player is functionally L20 and L20 is functionally L40 all it does is skew the player/content connection. With level locking you can match the items, player level and content designed for that level.

Instead people spend most of their time buffing themselves, getting external buffs, getting wrangles and working on their drat implants. And god help you if you ever accidentally take something off.

And AO has always had the UNIQUE and NODROP flags for items to prevent having multiple special items, or trading special items. It's only the OE mechanic that was different from most games.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Not true - when the game was first released, there were next to no items that were NODROP. Everything was infinitely twinkable - QL 200 rifles on level 30 agents, anyone? (Stigma rifles, IIRC).

The OE rules made at least reasonable sense, and were far better than their retarded "let's be Everquest!" plan to level lock and mark as NODROP every drat thing in the game.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes. OE was idiotic and basically made huge swathes of the game content pointless because players would outpace it without even leaving Rome. If a L5 player is functionally L20 and L20 is functionally L40 all it does is skew the player/content connection.

Which is awesome. I love being able to twink my rear end off and mop floors with stuff.

Mostly people who whine about OE are those who are too lazy to equip good stuff themselves and naturally "because I can't wear this poo poo, no one else should either :qq:"

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
Decided to upgrade and become a sl00b. Playing a Solider now, as Grunty, with my partner who's a doctor. A good combo, I think.

Edit: I'm also building my Trader to be HEAVY into tradeskills, so I can make anything I (or anyone else here) needs. Though having to do easy missions and leech xp from friends is a drag :D

Armadillos! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 9, 2011

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
Anyone feel like they can spare some cash or maybe a ql50 perennium blaster (that's the soldier one, right?) if they have one? I'm levelling fast, doing team missions.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Armadillos! posted:

Anyone feel like they can spare some cash or maybe a ql50 perennium blaster (that's the soldier one, right?) if they have one? I'm levelling fast, doing team missions.

I've bought from these guys before and they seem legit: http://ao.igxe.com/Buy--AO--Credits/

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

Holy crap, the Trader Comp Lit buff.

Holy crap, Trader buffs in general. Especially on top of laddered drains. Holy gently caress~

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I loved the hell out of this game but there was one nasty flaw when I played.

Temple of the Three Winds

I loving hate this place. It is merciless and I was never able to level out of that god drat hellhole. It also dropped some of the best looking weapons of all [don't remember their names but one's a bluish dagger type and a giant loving red sword]

Is there ANY way I can level elsewhere besides this? Im even considering expansions due to wanting to play keeper or continuing adveturer

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Dizz posted:

I loving hate this place. It is merciless and I was never able to level out of that god drat hellhole. It also dropped some of the best looking weapons of all [don't remember their names but one's a bluish dagger type and a giant loving red sword]

Is there ANY way I can level elsewhere besides this? Im even considering expansions due to wanting to play keeper or continuing adveturer

If you're just looking for the quickest way to level up, I think my low level speedlist would go something like this:

(levels might be a bit off, can't remember that well)

1-7 RK newbie area
7-17 nascence up to crippler cave
18-25 nasc crippler cave
26-45 nasc swamp (malah area and dungeon for higher levels)
40-60 nasc heck noobing
61-90 ely mortiigs or spiders
Then start shooting rocks.

By the way Armadillos!, since you were having ncu issues, see if someone on roflbot will drag you through steps of madness. Lots of good low level stuff there, including a really nice 5 ncu belt. Quise might want Neutrino Flash. Used that on my doc and it was good especially since it's really easy to buff and equip. Will be OE as hell but hey.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 10, 2011

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Fewd posted:

If you're just looking for the quickest way to level up, I think my low level speedlist would go something like this:

1-7 RK newbie area
18-25 nasc crippler cave
40-60 nasc heck noobing

Thanks a bunch for this! Once I get accustomed to the game again I will give this a shot.

Speaking of training wheels. does anyone suggest expansions that I should get or should I just grab them all?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

If you just wanna putz around low and mid levels then I'd say stick to sloobing. If you want a bunch of perks, stats from research, good gear and additional content (mostly high level), then pick the whole thing.

A lot of very good mid level gear also comes from alien zones like s10 and s7 though, so up to you.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Dizz posted:

If you do skip ToTW be sure to come back close to level 60 to farm all the items you may want from there.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Nosthula posted:

If you do skip ToTW be sure to come back close to level 60 to farm all the items you may want from there.

drat straight! some of the loot there is really great from what I hear.

Asides from that. I was thinking of getting the Special offer which apparently gives all expansions for 10$ including a month for 15$. Does this mean each month is 25$ or is there something I'm overlooking?

I'd also like some some class suggestions for decent soloing. If anything I just might go back to Enforcer or Fixer.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anything that can heal itself or use the bio shield perkline does good soloing. Keepers, fixers, and adventurers are all pretty good for soloing and not too hard to use. Agents, docs, engis, and MPs can as well, but can be more tricky (agents are <_>. docs are not hard but just boring as gently caress, engis requires you to constantly be buffed into tuff bots, and MPs require a lot of pet managemnet which can be annoying if you arn't familiar with it).

Soldiers, enforcers, and NPs are not the hottest soloers, bu fortunately they can usually find a group without too much trouble since they are all really useful.

I know nothing whatsoever about crats, shades, and traders.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 11, 2011

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Would a fixer get me far? I was told that a fr00b fixer won't go far due to item limitations.

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

Fewd posted:

1-7 RK newbie area
18-25 nasc crippler cave
40-60 nasc heck noobing

By the way Armadillos!, since you were having ncu issues, see if someone on roflbot will drag you through steps of madness. Lots of good low level stuff there, including a really nice 5 ncu belt. Quise might want Neutrino Flash. Used that on my doc and it was good especially since it's really easy to buff and equip. Will be OE as hell but hey.

Nice belt, seems to be a +health version of the GCB? I can dig that.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
If you bother to get Grid Armour (I never did), your froob fixer can be an unstoppable beast. However, the nanos cost hundreds of millions at worst and really aren't worth the trouble. If you get SL, fixers gain an alternative summoned back armour that can be used on RK and is readily available. Weapons will be something of an issue, SL introduced Perennium weapons which are a lifesaver but if as a froob you can bother to level past the 120's you can equip dual Blackbirds. They kick butt and even expansion players usually grab them when they're on-level.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

-Troika- posted:

I know nothing whatsoever about crats, shades

Crats and shades are great at soloing. Shades got high evades, lots of defensive perks and aao+aad leeches. Although shades are pretty squishy until high levels so it takes a while to be a soloing miracle. And crats... well, I haven't played a crat but as I understand, they're one of the strongest solo class due to their charms.

And fixer, well fixers are fun but I'm sort of doubtful on their high end soloability. Low and mid levels though? They rock. Fixer lowbies are also easy to equip gunwise, smg and burst are kinda buffable.

Also, I haven't looked at the offer but the full sub is something around 13€ a month. The usual mmorpg price.

Armadillos! posted:

Nice belt, seems to be a +health version of the GCB? I can dig that.

And the biggest difference between that and GCB? Getting this takes like 5 minutes with a little help :shobon:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 11, 2011

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Fewd posted:

And fixer, well fixers are fun but I'm sort of doubtful on their high end soloability. Low and mid levels though? They rock. Fixer lowbies are also easy to equip gunwise, smg and burst are kinda buffable.

High level fixers started being fun when the Full Auto perkline was introduced. Right now it's VERY easy to equip Hawk+KMP or dual Envies if you have access to a few Sharpshooter pieces from a friend. I'd say 220 is when the fixer really starts to shine with the addition of Shadowweb spinner XI, you kinda reach the point where poo poo simply doesn't hit you and your damage output is very good. But I'm a gigantic fan of the class, the whole hacking and cyberspace travel aspect of it is just pure crack to my inner cyberpunk nerd. I also spent 18 months reaching 220 on mine so it felt like a real achievement.

This is also why I keep yearning to go back to this game no matter how lovely some aspects of it are. Why does no other MMO cater to my desire to ride a hoverboard through towering neon cities and shoot stims in murky nightclubs :science:

Snooty fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 18, 2018

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I just rolled my third fixer last weekend. Love the class but for some reason they always ended up unfinished. This time I will make it :black101:

I wonder if team fgrid quest is still full of those annoying 20% spawn chance cyborgs you need to calm? Not looking forward to it.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Fewd posted:

I just rolled my third fixer last weekend. Love the class but for some reason they always ended up unfinished. This time I will make it :black101:

I wonder if team fgrid quest is still full of those annoying 20% spawn chance cyborgs you need to calm? Not looking forward to it.

Yes. Sadly. I just spawned them, had MY BOYFRIEND calm them on his crat and then speeded through them, completed the quest in one try. Can't do much poo poo in this game without help anyway.

E: It's absolutely worth the trouble when you hit levelcap and can offer mission pulling + transport services for obscene amounts of credits. I've spent much more time doing that than farming or raiding.

Snooty fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 11, 2011

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

That quest is just really badly designed. A limited time quest that sends you to hunt three rare spawn mobs? :whoptc:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Is there some site that can help with assisting me in traveling places? I had a lot of problems trying to find the nascene area. I would also appreciate some help on where to put stats for my dude.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Dizz posted:

Is there some site that can help with assisting me in traveling places? I had a lot of problems trying to find the nascene area. I would also appreciate some help on where to put stats for my dude.

AoRK/AoSL are very good maps. Much better than the default, even after it got upgraded. Spheremap used to be good too but I have no idea how many years it's been since it last got updated. I'd stick to AoRK.

Every profession forum on official boards has a load of guides in the stickies and you can pretty much find everything regarding char development and gear in those.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Watchlar posted:

High level fixers started being fun when the Full Auto perkline was introduced. Right now it's VERY easy to equip Hawk+KMP or dual Envies if you have access to a few Sharpshooter pieces from a friend. I'd say 220 is when the fixer really starts to shine with the addition of Shadowweb spinner XI, you kinda reach the point where poo poo simply doesn't hit you and your damage output is very good.

Your post is spot on.

My main is a 220 fixer that I started back when the game was first released and I didn't get him to 220 until 2008. I'd like to add that just getting to 220 on a fixer doesn't mean you become a god. They really require the gear. When I last played I just got beta's in and got my first envy and I just started to feel like the power of the class was kicking in but I still had a ways to go. I'll probably come back to AO after this Cataclysm buss wears off.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
For some reason, I had this weird flashback of AO recently and wondered if it still existed at all. Lo and behold, it's still around with goons playing! I'm probably not going to try jumping back into it quite yet, but how does it fare to someone who hasn't played in 3 or so years?

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for all the help and the invite to GoonCorp :]

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Nevermind

Snooty fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 18, 2018

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

Watchlar posted:

Just took a look at the current subscription options, what the loving poo poo FC €17,19 for 1 month?!?! There goes any plans I had over renewing the sub, who the gently caress would charge this much for a 9 year old game :wtc:

You can be a sl00b for $5 (or whatever it is in your euroworld), that's not so bad. Though frankly, with all there is to do in AO, I'd say it's still worth a full price. But if you want the latest in nipple rendering and extreme flying, age of wowcraft is thataway -->

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Is there some way/place I can get lowbie fixer nanos? Everytime fixer nano shop I find just has high rear end nanos which sell for like 80k+.

I only have 6k credits :geno:

• Locked thread