Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

All this talk of how awesome Wedge Antilles is is distressingly reminiscent of all this talk of how awesome Boba Fett is, and you know what awaits at the end of that dark path.

MANDALORIANS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What frustrates me at the moment is there is a pefectly eighteen year long gap where we can get some non Jedi early Empire/Alliance stuff going but all we've seen so far is the Force Unleashed games a book where Vader gets his groove back.

I mean, come on godammit!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

What frustrates me at the moment is there is a pefectly eighteen year long gap where we can get some non Jedi early Empire/Alliance stuff going but all we've seen so far is the Force Unleashed games a book where Vader gets his groove back.

I mean, come on godammit!

That's actually because Lucasfilm has blocked the EU from having stuff set between one year after ROTS and one year before ANH, to keep that space clear for the eventual live-action show. Which, considering how much the Clone Wars show is at odds with the earlier Clone Wars EU, is probably for the best in the long run.

I've been reading some of the 1970s Marvel comics from the Dark Horse Omnibuses, and there's one issue which is a flashback to Obi-Wan when he was a Jedi during the Old Republic, fighting pirates around Alderaan. I have to hand it to Lucas - I think the brown robes of the PT-era Jedi are a much better choice than the skintight black and white jumpsuit Marvel depicted Obi-Wan wearing:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Obiwan_silent_drifting.jpg

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

That's actually because Lucasfilm has blocked the EU from having stuff set between one year after ROTS and one year before ANH, to keep that space clear for the eventual live-action show. Which, considering how much the Clone Wars show is at odds with the earlier Clone Wars EU, is probably for the best in the long run.

I've been reading some of the 1970s Marvel comics from the Dark Horse Omnibuses, and there's one issue which is a flashback to Obi-Wan when he was a Jedi during the Old Republic, fighting pirates around Alderaan. I have to hand it to Lucas - I think the brown robes of the PT-era Jedi are a much better choice than the skintight black and white jumpsuit Marvel depicted Obi-Wan wearing:

I don't know, I kind of like Lukes Jedi tunic look from ROTJ much better than the robes. It seems more science fiction space opera to me.

And that proper TV series is never going to happen.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

This is begging for an eyepatch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is interesting to see how we imagined the Jedi when we were all ten and look at them today.

I can honestly say I never pictured them to be acrobatic as gently caress space monk samurai. In an alternate universe I expected they followed the medival knight model more.

And our alternate selves would also be sperging over it.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

NeonTurtle posted:

I know I've heard somewhere that people figured out how to get it to run on XP/Windows 7. I'm sure I read about it when I discovered the total conversion for X-wing Alliance that turns it into the classic TIE fighter. For the conversion to work, you actually need the TIE CD because the installation rips the movies and voices from it. It's loving awesome.

Edit: A quick google search found this thread that should help you out.

Yep as long as it's the collector's edition cdrom (not the DOS-only floppy version) it works fine under XP and 32-bit vista/7. They are 16-bit binaries, though, so it won't work as easily under 64-bit versions. I have the xwing and tie fighter collector's cdrom, xwing vs. tie fighter, and xwing alliance and they all work fine.

Goddamn I love those games. Tie fighter is the best but they're all great.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Mad Hamish posted:

All this talk of how awesome Wedge Antilles is is distressingly reminiscent of all this talk of how awesome Boba Fett is, and you know what awaits at the end of that dark path.

MANDALORIANS

The difference is Karen Traviss. I suppose there's that whole "not making GBS threads on one of the most basic tenets of the entire fictional universe" thing, too, if you're counting.

Also that Kevin J. Anderson never really noticed that he assigned just Wedge (without even Rogue Squadron) to fight off four star destroyers all by himself in Jedi Academy Trilogy, book 2: Dark Apprentice.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Mad Hamish posted:

MANDALORIANS

I think the difference is that Wedge has never been built up as some kind of Godlike Nietzschean Uberman, who can prevail where mortals fail. His accomplishments are actually fairly reasonable for the setting, and are usually accomplished with a realistic level of difficulty. At a fair guess, I presume most of his fans like him just because he's a just regular guy who manages to get things done in a universe full of Space-Wizards and Mega-Geniuses.

In fact, I'm pretty sure in one of the X-Wing novels he describes himself as just being marginally more capable with a star-fighter than his opponents, but possessing an inordinate amount of luck.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
"I am Wedge Antilles. I survived the Battle of Yavin. I survived the Battle of Hoth. Hell…Just a couple of weeks ago I blew up the Death Star during the Battle of Endor. The reason I'm still breathing when a lot of other good Rebel pilots aren't? Maybe it's because I'm better. Or maybe I'm just lucky." -- "Lucky," Star Wars Tales 23.

"Me, I'm the quintessential soldier who does his job very well. But what is that job? Two things: neutralizing Imperials and, the part I take most seriously, keeping my people alive. It doesn't matter if we were good or lucky out there today—and I'd rather the former than trust in the latter. What does matter is that we all survived, and that's as close to a miracle as I ever expect to see in my lifetime. The key thing to remember is that I can't trust in our luck or skill. I can't allow myself to believe we were that much better than the opposition and I can't let my people believe it. If they do, they'll die taking chances they should never take." - X-Wing: Rogue Squadron

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ There's a sportsman's phrase that I'm suddenly reminded of..

quote:

The more I practice, the luckier I get.

NeonTurtle posted:

A quick google search found this thread that should help you out.
Thanks! I never owned Tie fighter, but if I can get X-wing to work, then awesome. I think I have the collector's edition as well (the one with the B-wing missions on).

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Doesn't Han speak whatever Jabba's language is, too? I don't remember 3P0 translating for either of them in RotJ.

...it's probably "Huttese" or "Huttlish," because that would be retarded and therefore super plausible.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Bene Elim posted:

^^ There's a sportsman's phrase that I'm suddenly reminded of..

Thanks! I never owned Tie fighter, but if I can get X-wing to work, then awesome. I think I have the collector's edition as well (the one with the B-wing missions on).

The B-wing missions were bitchin, but you're really missing out if you never played TIE fighter.

Edit:

Karma Tornado posted:

Doesn't Han speak whatever Jabba's language is, too? I don't remember 3P0 translating for either of them in RotJ.

...it's probably "Huttese" or "Huttlish," because that would be retarded and therefore super plausible.

I always got the feeling that Han didn't understand a word of what Jabba said.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 10, 2011

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Karma Tornado posted:

It is Huttese and Han did understand it, because that's what Greedo was speaking in the bar before Han blew him away (without Greedo even firing a shot).

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is interesting to see how we imagined the Jedi when we were all ten and look at them today.

I can honestly say I never pictured them to be acrobatic as gently caress space monk samurai. In an alternate universe I expected they followed the medival knight model more.

And our alternate selves would also be sperging over it.

I thought they did crazy flippy poo poo and were basically superheroes. Force Unleashed was like a wetdream for 8 year old me.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

It is Huttese and Han did understand it, because that's what Greedo was speaking in the bar before Han blew him away (without Greedo even firing a shot).

I heard George Lucas' original vision was for Greedo to shoot first, but the technology didn't exist in 1977 and he corrected it for the special edition releases so that we could enjoy the way it was meant to be.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh god no here we go.

Are there any decent stories on IG-88? I remember him appearing in one of the games on the N64 back in the day as a boss, Shadows of the Empire? I think? but he always seemed like a decent character that could have done with a bit more development.

I haven't read any of the EU though so I may have completely missed the mark.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Flipswitch posted:

Are there any decent stories on IG-88? I remember him appearing in one of the games on the N64 back in the day as a boss, Shadows of the Empire? I think? but he always seemed like a decent character that could have done with a bit more development.

I haven't read any of the EU though so I may have completely missed the mark.

In the EU, the 2nd Death Star was actually IG-88. Go ahead, look it up on Wookiepedia and see if I'm joking. I dare you!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Captain von Trapp posted:

In the EU, the 2nd Death Star was actually IG-88. Go ahead, look it up on Wookiepedia and see if I'm joking. I dare you!

Technically, it was only like ten seconds before it blew up anyways. It is the EU version of the dude calling shotgun for the passenger seat of the car a few seconds after somebody else.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 10, 2011

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Star Wars wiki on IG-88 posted:

The remaining IG-88 uploaded his consciousness into a computer core destined for Death Star II. He succeeded in being uploaded, and was preparing to activate his program to take over all droids in the galaxy when it was destroyed. With his consciousness in the Death Star II, he would literally become the Death Star.

Emperor Palpatine was the only known person on the Death Star to suspect something was wrong after the uploading of the computer core with IG-88 inside. Before the station's destruction, he noticed a series of doors in his throne room opening and closing sporadically. IG-88 did this to show the Emperor that he was not all powerful. However, IG-88 was utterly baffled when it appeared that Emperor Palpatine used some unseen force to attempt to push the doors open. However, IG-88 exerted more force and was able to continue to keep the Emperor locked in, until he tired of the game and unlocked the door.

Lando Calrissian and Wedge Antilles ended up destroying the core, destroying both the Death Star, and the A.I. of IG-88 as well.

:suicide:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

He traveled to Mechis III with his counterparts and started his droid rebellion there. He planned to take over the galaxy with droids because he thought droids were far superior to biologicals. He uploaded himself into the second Death Star, and was about to start his droid rebellion all over the Galaxy, when the Rebel Alliance destroyed the Death Star, destroying him with it.
:psyboom:

drat I need to track me down some of these EU books, where do I start?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

IG-88s? In MY Death Star? It's more likely than you think.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I actually liked that story because Boba Fett hosed up like 4 IG-88s by himself.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Chairman Capone posted:

I have to hand it to Lucas - I think the brown robes of the PT-era Jedi are a much better choice than the skintight black and white jumpsuit Marvel depicted Obi-Wan wearing:

However, I do think that black jumpsuit could be great look for a Jedi of the Republic in a time of war when combined with this Kenobi-in-armor statuette:

I think there is a good middle ground, though. Watching some clips from ROTS made me think how loving horrible the Jedi robes are in the overall feel of a scene. The Jedi SHOULD be smarter than this to know that in certain situations that their ceremonial choice of wardrobe is not really the best.

Take the scenes where Anakin and Obi-Wan are boarding General Grevious' ship in ROTS: They pop out of their small fighters in full-on robes. Now, I'm not a Jedi, a pilot, an astronaut or a martial artist, but you'd think in the middle of a war they would have eventaully gotten to a point that they slimmed down to something more practical on the battlefield. Had Anakin and Obi-Wan emerged from their fighters in some basic light armor with a few jedi motifs to it, I think it would have helped do a lot of things. First, it would have shown how close the Republic is getting towards being the Empire, where even the Jedi are looking like Stormtroopers. Secondly, it could have been a bit of foreshadowing Anakin's fate of being sealed into life-saving armor for the rest of his life.

Did the Jedis in the films ever wear anything close to the 'Jedi Trooper' armor of the Clone Wars animated series?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 10, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Flipswitch posted:

"Tales of the Bounty Hunters", for this one.

IG-88's story was the raddest thing ever when I was 12.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

"Tales of the Bounty Hunters", for this one.

IG-88's story was the raddest thing ever when I was 12.

Compared to most EU crap, that and "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" were pretty decent.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did the Jedis in the films ever wear anything close to the 'Jedi Trooper' armor of the Clone Wars animated series?

Obi-wan normally seemed to wear the shoulder armor from a clone trooper and Anakin had some funky black chest and wrist thing going on, but in the latest episode they're moving towards their appearances in RoTS, so more robes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flipswitch posted:

It's in Tales of the Bounty Hunters. There's some other terrible stories in there as well. They're all terrible

EDIT: Relatively speaking, the Tales of books weren't that bad. They were from the earlier days when people were just writing straight sci-fi in the Star Wars universe and not just beating the ashen remains of the horse that was the franchise. They could pretty much do anything back then because there really was no EU to speak of.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 10, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SeanBeansShako posted:

Technically, it was only like ten seconds before it blew up anyways. It is the EU version of the dude calling shotgun for the passenger seat of the car a few seconds after somebody else.

More like calling shotgun right before a horrific car crash a mile down the street.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think there is a good middle ground, though. Watching some clips from ROTS made me think how loving horrible the Jedi robes are in the overall feel of a scene. The Jedi SHOULD be smarter than this to know that in certain situations that their ceremonial choice of wardrobe is not really the best.

Yeah but it's not as cool.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's in Tales of the Bounty Hunters. There's some other terrible stories in there as well. They're all terrible

EDIT: Relatively speaking, the Tales of books weren't that bad. They were from the earlier days when people were just writing straight sci-fi in the Star Wars universe and not just beating the ashen remains of the horse that was the franchise. They could pretty much do anything back then because there really was no EU to speak of.

I think those books were the only reason I got into the EU at all. We had those, Shadows of the Empire, and the Rogue Squadron books, and I enjoyed all of those as a kid. It's depressing to see what it is now. At least the Tales of books were fun and we got silly rear end stories about random dudes in Jabba's palace.

I also remember reading the Galaxy of Fear books. Basically they were Goosebumps novels set in Star Wars, and each book would have a bigger name guest star like Boba Fett or Thrawn. I kinda liked it.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I also remember reading the Galaxy of Fear books. Basically they were Goosebumps novels set in Star Wars, and each book would have a bigger name guest star like Boba Fett or Thrawn. I kinda liked it.
There was one that had Boba Fett fighting zombies. It rocked fairly hard.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Powered Descent posted:

IG-88s? In MY Death Star? It's more likely than you think.

Does anybody have the Photoshop that Sith Happens made of this? I tried looking at the old thread but ig88s.png was hosted on waffleimages and is gone now.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, but honestly, EVERY comicbook costume from the 70s looks terrible. And looked terrible then, too, just no one noticed.

Also, the idea of IG88 screwing with Palpatine just because he could sounds like a Family Guy sequence.

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn
I have a buddy who has been trying to get a set of Storm Trooper armor for years, his birthday is coming up and I'm trying to help his wife get one together for him, but every site selling it right now just links to a "How to make your own armor" page. Are there any good sites for buying armor?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I may have an idea, is your buddy a thin guy?

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Mister Roboto posted:

I may have an idea, is your buddy a thin guy?

Nope, he's not fat, as much as he is just really loving bulky around the torso.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Karma Tornado posted:

Huttese is the most common galactic language after Basic (our English or whatever). It seems like a pretty common second language for people as everyone seems to be able to understand and speak it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Something that occurred to me in the shower just now: the prequels spend all this screen time explaining senate politics bullshit and jedi library bullshit and complex betting bullshit, when ANH doesn't even tell us what the gently caress a Bothan is.

Which brings up my geeky Star Wars question: I know what they are now, but what were Bothans originally supposed to be, that their sacrifice would be emphasized? Was it a title for embedded intelligence agents? Was Elfin Rebel Leader Lady (Mon Mothma, I know, but don't ask me how I know or who the gently caress she is (don't you dare link to wookiepedia you fucks)) from the planet Both, and bankrolling the rebel alliance in some way, so that she was essentially saying "My people bled for this, and you had better loving make good on this one-in-a-million chance you crazy Rogue Squadron bastards"?

Or were they always wolf furries who are somehow really good at dying?

E: VVVVVV :doh: TIME TO WATCH THAT poo poo AGAIN

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 11, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doc Hawkins posted:

Something that occurred to me in the shower just now: the prequels spend all this screen time explaining senate politics bullshit and jedi library bullshit and complex betting bullshit, when ANH doesn't even tell us what the gently caress a Bothan is.

Which brings up my geeky Star Wars question: I know what they are now, but what were Bothans originally supposed to be, that their sacrifice would be emphasized? Was it a title for embedded intelligence agents? Was Elfin Rebel Leader Lady (Mon Mothma, I know, but don't ask me how I know or who the gently caress she is (don't you dare link to wookiepedia you fucks)) from the planet Both, and bankrolling the rebel alliance in some way, so that she was essentially saying "My people bled for this, and you had better loving make good on this one-in-a-million chance you crazy Rogue Squadron bastards"?

Or were they always wolf furries who are somehow really good at dying?

No idea if there was ever any vision for them, but I think it was just mentioned as a throw away to emphasize the sacrifice involved in the war. In any other war movie, she would have said, "Many people/soldiers/spies died to bring us this information." But this is s sci-fi movie, so they created some sci-fi sounding word, and bam, she's talking about a different species.

And since this is Star Wars, a massive back story had to be created for them after that.

(Also, and this is nitpicky, but the Bothans comment was in RotJ, not ANH.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

However, I do think that black jumpsuit could be great look for a Jedi of the Republic in a time of war when combined with this Kenobi-in-armor statuette:

Take the scenes where Anakin and Obi-Wan are boarding General Grevious' ship in ROTS: They pop out of their small fighters in full-on robes. Now, I'm not a Jedi, a pilot, an astronaut or a martial artist, but you'd think in the middle of a war they would have eventaully gotten to a point that they slimmed down to something more practical on the battlefield. Had Anakin and Obi-Wan emerged from their fighters in some basic light armor with a few jedi motifs to it, I think it would have helped do a lot of things. First, it would have shown how close the Republic is getting towards being the Empire, where even the Jedi are looking like Stormtroopers. Secondly, it could have been a bit of foreshadowing Anakin's fate of being sealed into life-saving armor for the rest of his life.

Too clever by half, sorry. Pack up your poo poo and get the gently caress out, you're fired.

(my lucas impersonation)