Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Slo-Tek posted:

Movies projected on screens on the bulkheads, Remember those? From the 80's?

Sorry but tthis makes you sound like a giant baby, manly man are lulled to sleep by the deafening drone of the engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Boohoo I'm not getting full HD and 5.1 sound in my massaging seat at 35.000 feet. :qq:

You pampered professionals need a dose of this oldie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Since they allow flight mode now, I don't need any external input. E-books, audiobooks, music, movies, all in my pocket. But uuh...it won't...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Can you expound on this a bit?

At least with Delta, once you have status (25,000 qualification miles in a calendar year,) you get put on a waiting list for any available business or first seats, even if you're on the cheapest of coach tickets. Half of my post-status flights where I was eligible (not in first already) I've been upgraded for free.

It's more for the legroom (I'm tall, 30” seat pitch just doesn't cut it) and the free booze, since US domestic first is just a bigger seat with more space and maybe a power outlet.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Not technically an aircraft, but it flies at Mach 7 and will travel about 250 miles and I think warrants a mention here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfU-wMwL2U

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

DJ posted:

I see no one has mentioned the Luftwaffe F-104G

Candlestick out of hell. That likes to crash..

The Germans used to call these Erdnagel, literally earth nail, or tent peg.

The joke was "if you want an F-104, just buy a little plot of land, and wait"

galvetron
Jul 1, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

The Germans used to call these Erdnagel, literally earth nail, or tent peg.

The joke was "if you want an F-104, just buy a little plot of land, and wait"

my favorite nickname for it came from the Canadians, "the lawn dart."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You know how accidents have more than one cause?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XuMylC7gSc

1. Engine failure on final
2. British runway garden keepers insisting on keeping a lip at the end so the rhubarb gets good drainage

End result: Not that bad, well done.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

galvetron posted:

my favorite nickname for it came from the Canadians, "the lawn dart."

That heritage has been passed on to the F-16 now. :fsmug:

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Ola posted:

2. British runway garden keepers insisting on keeping a lip at the end so the rhubarb gets good drainage

Holy crap I'll bet that pilot wants to kill a gardener right now. Great work on his part though.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

Holy crap I'll bet that pilot wants to kill a gardener right now. Great work on his part though.

The pilot actually ramped off of a taxiway (he touched down short of where the runway starts), which are usually raised for drainage.

I really don't want to know what it cost to completely tear apart the wing, inspect the spars, repair the main gear leg, and tear down and inspect the engine and propeller.

Given that parts for the P-51 are incredibly expensive in the US, the cost of getting that work done in the UK has to be staggering.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

grover posted:

Not technically an aircraft, but it flies at Mach 7 and will travel about 250 miles and I think warrants a mention here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfU-wMwL2U

I want to know more about the camera that got that tracking shot of the projectile flying at Mach 7 after it left the building.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

sandoz posted:

I want to know more about the camera that got that tracking shot of the projectile flying at Mach 7 after it left the building.

Someone said high speed camera on a fixed tripod pointed at a rotating mirror with preset speed/location tracking.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
add in some krytron switches that are usually used to trigger nuclear warheads. 30ns lag and 1ns switching time. That's fast enough to catch something moving at the speed of light (1ft/ns).

They're harder to get than U235 (literally) but most good labs have a few locked in a safe within a safe somewhere for triggering high speed experiments or cameras

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Ola posted:

Extremely well done on the pilot's part. I would have most certainly snapped even IL-2's titanium alloy unobtanium gear off with a bump like that.

dayman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 12, 2011

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Speaking of the Arizona Boneyards, anyoneknow what mysterious flying wing is at 32.158526,-110.845854 ?

Unlike anything I've seen before, almost looks like an F-302 :tinfoil:

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
If it's the same thing I see, I think its a RB-57/WB-57 which is a heavily upgraded Canberra, with the wing tips lopped off and tail feathers removed.

Click here for the full 1715x1445 image.

Manny fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 12, 2011

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Manny posted:

If it's the same thing I see, I think its a RB-57/WB-57 which is a heavily upgraded Canberra, with the wing tips lopped off and tail feathers removed.

Click here for the full 1715x1445 image.

This is correct.
I'd love to get my hands on the little T-37 Tweet next to it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ursa_minor posted:

This is correct.

I tawt I taw an F-14 Puddytat!

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Ola posted:

I tawt I taw an F-14 Puddytat!

Daaaaaaaaad, you're embarassing me.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

ursa_minor posted:

AKA "Self-propelled dog whistle".

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

You guys can oogle all the little stuff, I'll take those two lonely looking C-123s off their hands. Or maybe a few of the Convairliners I see. There should be enough R-2800s in those piles to keep them going for a while.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You guys just aren't looking hard enough for something worth taking.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Excuse me... what's that in front of the F14's?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Nerobro posted:

Excuse me... what's that in front of the F14's?

A Monogram model of the conjectural F-19 stealth fighter. It was way cooler than the Testors version.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slo-Tek posted:

A Monogram model of the conjectural F-19 stealth fighter. It was way cooler than the Testors version.

Haha, that's great. Somebody photoshop some old disused UFOs in there.

Also, that Chinese stealth fighter (the J-20 "Black Eagle") made its first flight today.

e: also saw this in the boneyard. What is it?

For once I know what it is. It's a Boeing YC-14.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 12, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Is there a Davis Monthan equivalent for the army's tanks?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Slo-Tek posted:

Exactly. Now... that is life size. WTF.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Nerobro posted:

Exactly. Now... that is life size. WTF.

It isn't a real photograph, but an incredible simulation.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
This chopper caught in flight was rather cool.

I found the U2 on D St. and the display across from it interesting as well.
But the parade/display grounds had me wishing for a semi full of orange cones.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Probably posted this in this very thread, but time for a retreat. China Aviation Museum at Datangshan. It is a formerly secret air defense base that is drilled through the side of a mountain.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=h&z=17&iwloc=A

They've got some good stuff, a Beriev BE-6 flying boat on the pond there. A pair of TU-4 Bulls, including one that was converted as an AWACS, three C-46 Commandos captured from the KMT, 19 mig 15's all in a row, a Vickers Viscount, a TU-16, and so on.

Top Gear did a photoshoot there recently:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/koenigsegg-agera-2010-12-14

I took some pictures there less recently:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bertreiheld/sets/72157602256200630/

Interesting view of the J-20

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 13, 2011

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

extreme_accordion posted:

This chopper caught in flight was rather cool.

I found the U2 on D St. and the display across from it interesting as well.
But the parade/display grounds had me wishing for a semi full of orange cones.

Aha, I just realized what is so strange about that chopper....it is casting no shadow on the ground. Whats up with that? :tinfoil:

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
I notice in one place they have one of each type of plane lined up. I wonder if someone just thought it would be cool to do that, or it's a museum allocation or something.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Wicaeed posted:

Aha, I just realized what is so strange about that chopper....it is casting no shadow on the ground. Whats up with that? :tinfoil:

Just a guess, but the chopper is high enough that its shadow wouldn't appear in the frame of the photograph that captured it. By the time the photography plane made a pass over the area where the shadow would have been, it was long gone.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Manny posted:

I notice in one place they have one of each type of plane lined up. I wonder if someone just thought it would be cool to do that, or it's a museum allocation or something.

They have bus tours of the lot, pretty sure that is part of that. So, little of both.

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
What's the (concealable?) yellow dot on the back of the J-20?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Jeece posted:

What's the (concealable?) yellow dot on the back of the J-20?

Drogue chute, I think.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Delivery McGee posted:

I don't know which thread this should go in, but I'll post it here because it's both airplane and car related: Some friends and I were discussing James Bond cars and the essential features thereof. An ejection seat is mandatory, of course. That got me thinking about Martin-Baker's Tie Club.

So I emailed Martin-Baker on the issue, and amazingly, they actually replied: If you were to use one of their seats to eject from a car, they'd give you a tie. ("driving off a cliff" and "armed villain passenger" were the exact car-ejection scenarios I asked about).

Dissent! The email paraphrased above, from Andrew Martin, Head of Business Development, stated simply "Yes they would."

But a few days ago (I only just got around to checking that email account), Heather the Marketing Analyst emailed me thusly:

Heather from Martin-Baker posted:

Hello,
I am very sorry for the delay in responding to you.

In answer to your question, no. IF it was a Martin-Baker seat, the ‘driver’ would not be entitled to membership to the Tie Club. Membership of the Tie Club is confined solely to persons who have ejected from an aircraft (and not car) in an emergency using a Martin-Baker ejection seat, and thereby saved their life.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Heather

Her name at the end was in some cutesy script font intended to signify signing it, and followed by her full name, title, and company address.

So I replied, possibly a bit harshly:

quote:

But Andrew Martin replied the day after I asked saying the driver would qualify. I don't know who to believe! Well, actually, I'm going to go with his answer -- he got back to me sooner, he apparently outranks you, and he (halfway) shares a name with the company.

Whatever the answer, your company earns top honors in my book for even bothering to respond to my silly hypothetical.

What if the car had fold-out wings that while, undersized and useless-in-real-life as such things tend to be portrayed in movies, at least afforded the driver a fleeting Wile E. Coyote-style moment of hope after driving off the cliff?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I think I put my finger on something that's been bothering my aesthetically about the J-20: simply put, it's too straight. It fails to follow the Whitcomb area rule. Which explains which is why it just looks "off". Must have massive drag at supersonic speeds.

grover fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 14, 2011

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

grover posted:

It fails to follow the Whitcomb area rule.

Shhhhut-up! They haven't stolen that from the west yet.

serious edit: are there any photos of the dorsal and ventral contours yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder what engines it's got. I bet they don't supercruise. Doesn't look like it's thrust vector capable either.