Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Internet Explorer posted:

You didn't have a float valve to turn it off? That sucks. :(

Link - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...is-systems.html

It was new years eve and I was running around trying to get everything ready for a party. I usually watch it like a hawk but I actually left the house for 2 hours or so and forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Melchior posted:

It was new years eve and I was running around trying to get everything ready for a party. I usually watch it like a hawk but I actually left the house for 2 hours or so and forgot about it.

I get paranoid as gently caress about that and so I make sure to turn off the output before I get more than a room away from the bucket. I'm going to get a float valve now.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Yea, once I remodel my laundry room a bit I'm going to move it to the wall next to my utility tub and fill buckets there instead. It seems like a much better arrangement.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

ludnix posted:

What lighting do you have over the 75?

Was running a 6 bulb T5 set up, but one of my ballasts have gone out, so now just running 4 bulbs, don't have as much SPS as I once did so not too much of an issue.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Okay so I'm in between a few different 6 bulb T5 lighting setups,but I'm torn between those with and without LED moonlight setups.

is there a huge difference I may see in my corals health other than just aesthetics by using the LED moonlights?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I dunno but I have the moonlights and they are awesome. I have no clue if they help the tank out or not, but they look really cool.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
I saw no difference with or without. I've been running without lately and it hasn't made any difference to my clownfish spawning.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Moonlights are a waste unless you plan on looking at poo poo at night with the lights off.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
They dont help anything but I love the way the tank looks at night with them. Its kind of a room divider in my studio apartment though so its a nice night light too.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

arioch posted:

Moonlights are a waste unless you plan on looking at poo poo at night with the lights off.

Thats all I needed to hear.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

arioch posted:

Heck, they are not even that good for looking at stuff. At best they just kept me from accidentally walking into the tank at night. If I want to look at things I can always use a flashlight.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ludnix posted:

Heck, they are not even that good for looking at stuff. At best they just kept me from accidentally walking into the tank at night. If I want to look at things I can always use a flashlight.

My clownfish breeder buddy says by doing that he's had his females kill their mated males. He lost a bunch of males that way once and never did that again--dead males included a couple picassos, a snowflake, and an onyx.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
Supposedly you can use a red flashlight and the fish won't see it, but I can't tell if they notice or not. Interesting though, I would be pretty unhappy to lose some of those more expensive breeds of clownfish.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

arioch posted:

My clownfish breeder buddy says by doing that he's had his females kill their mated males. He lost a bunch of males that way once and never did that again--dead males included a couple picassos, a snowflake, and an onyx.

What happened? The flashlight startled them or something?

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Just going to use the reefcentral form to make things easy.

Size of tank: 75

Age of tank: Not yet running
Sump: 20gal
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 4
nitrate: N/A
ammonia: N/A
temperature: N/A but heaters/chillers have already been accounted for
Water source {ro, ro/di, tap}: RO/DI and I've already pre-tested my source.
Salinity: [eg, 1.024] N/A
Alkalinity: [eg, 8.3] N/A
Lights [mh/T5/LED, other]: IceCap Reef Illuminations6 x T5 & LED Combo
Calcium: [eg, 420]: N/A
Magnesium {eg, 1500]: N/A

So I'm trying to figure out some livestock for my tank. I am a newbie (first tank), but I've been taking my time. I really don't want to kill any fish/inverts because of something I could have prevented. I would like to include some of the following in my tank:

= 3 to 4 small fish who are reef friendly
= a few small sps/zoa frags (I'd like to try and grow something from the beginning and really start on my own instead of buying colonies. dumb move?)

Any suggestions? Or maybe something I need to alter with my setup? What Kind of water flow will I need (I have two Hydor Koralia Magnum 5 powerheads a friend gave me and work great)?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sounds like you've got everything under control.

What return pumps? Make sure you have spare impellers on hand at all times. I have a spare return pump and 3 spare impellers waiting to go if need be. Being able to swap pumps and rebuild and soak over the course of days is a real comfort.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
I was going to use a Danner Mag-drive 7 for my return pump.

Not sure if this might be too much power or not? I only need like 450 gph. Maybe the Mag-Drive 5? I don't want to create too much flow through my sump do I?

Also, any help with stocking the tank would be very appreciated. Corals especially. I'm sure I can figure out fish one I know which are compatible with what I want.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Dono posted:

Not sure if this might be too much power or not? I only need like 450 gph. Maybe the Mag-Drive 5? I don't want to create too much flow through my sump do I?
Assuming your sump is under your tank, you are only going to get about 400-500 GPH at ~4' head height out of that pump anyway.

drchipotle
Sep 11, 2001

I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running with the substrate and lava rock for years. I added 4 snails and 6 hermit crabs 2 months ago. Last week I added 2 blue damsel fish and 2 zebra. Today i saw these new two things growing on my old rock:

Does anyone know what they are, and if they are good, bad, or neutral?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

drchipotle posted:

Does anyone know what they are, and if they are good, bad, or neutral?

Bad (for nearby corals, if you have any)

They look like aiptasia. Nuisance anemone that spread fast and sting your corals. Almost all tanks have them. There are a couple ways to kill them that sort of work ok, just check out Google.
--------------------

Updated shot of my new fish tank

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 20, 2011

drchipotle
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="Hypnotized"]

They look like aiptasia. Nuisance anemone that spread fast and sting your corals. Almost all tanks have them. There are a couple ways to kill them that sort of work ok, just check out Google.
--------------------

I have no corals. Just the stock mentioned and a clownfish. Is it possible that they came with the new fish? No new rock or other substrate came in.

I had myself convinced they were feather dusters, and therefore good. I guess not.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Dono posted:

I was going to use a Danner Mag-drive 7 for my return pump.

Also, any help with stocking the tank would be very appreciated. Corals especially. I'm sure I can figure out fish one I know which are compatible with what I want.

Our 65 gal tank has a Mag 5 on it, seems to flow fine. I think with our powerhead we're getting something like 1300gph through the tank.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

drchipotle posted:

[quote="Hypnotized"]

--------------------

I have no corals. Just the stock mentioned and a clownfish. Is it possible that they came with the new fish? No new rock or other substrate came in.

I had myself convinced they were feather dusters, and therefore good. I guess not.

Do they rapidly retract like a feather duster? The photo isn't clear enough to say for certain that they aiptasia or feather dusters.

drchipotle
Sep 11, 2001

ludnix posted:

Do they rapidly retract like a feather duster? The photo isn't clear enough to say for certain that they aiptasia or feather dusters.

Looking at photos, they seemed more like aiptasia. I took out the rock they were on, doused them in Tabasco and a pile of kosher salt, then scrubbed them off with a toothbrush.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
If you can confirm they are aiptasia then I'd suggest peppermint shrimp. Those aiptasia will multiply like a wild fire if you dont take care of them and they aren't pretty.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Use Aptasia-x or something (kalk paste basically) to kill the big ones and then a couple peppermint shrimp will keep them in check after that. As long as you make sure to have a couple peppermint shrimp around you'll never have problems.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
So where would I be if I wanted to start a saltwater tank?

I tend to prefer flora over fauna, so I'd rather have rock/corals, shrimp, snails, etc and a token fish or three. Available to me is a 29G tank, with a dual 65W PC fixture, 350gph canister filter with UV, some test kits, and that's about it.

I don't know a ton about saltwater, outside of topping it up with RO. Based on where the tank is (at work) I don't really have room for a skimmer. Would that be a problem? Can you guys talk me out of it? :)

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

insta posted:

So where would I be if I wanted to start a saltwater tank?

I tend to prefer flora over fauna, so I'd rather have rock/corals, shrimp, snails, etc and a token fish or three. Available to me is a 29G tank, with a dual 65W PC fixture, 350gph canister filter with UV, some test kits, and that's about it.

I don't know a ton about saltwater, outside of topping it up with RO. Based on where the tank is (at work) I don't really have room for a skimmer. Would that be a problem? Can you guys talk me out of it? :)

You don't have to have a skimmer, I don't use one on my 25g tank. Go to https://www.nano-reef.com and read all the sticky threads in the beginner forum. You will want to ditch that lighting and go for Metal halide, T5s, or LEDs if you want to have more than just very low light corals.

Other equipment you will need would be power heads, heater, RO/DI unit or access to RO/DI water. Also buckets, and another set of heaters and power heads for mixing salt water for water changes.

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 20, 2011

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hypnotized posted:

Just wanted to say that is a very beautiful tank. Love the colors!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just for kicks I tried swapping the locations of the 10k and fiji purple on our tank(fiji purple to the front). It made a huge difference! For some reason having the fiji purple at the front makes the tank less blue, but in a good way. It's surprising how much of a difference it made though, just swapping the locations of bulbs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I haven't had kalk/joe's juice/etc. do much on those little guys, mostly on the greener/browner and bigger ones. Similarly, my peppermints have done a number on the big ones and have avoided these entirely.

They also don't seem to spread like the plague. Not sure they're aiptasia in the pestilential sense that we know and love.

I don't know what at this point would get rid of them either (I have a handful of them in a single concentrated area on ONE piece of rock I have a bunch of "Japanese" zoos on) without completely wrecking the rock in terms of desirable livestock.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 20, 2011

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Anybody have experience/tips for drilling live rock? Planning on using a masonry bit and acrylic pegs to join a couple pieces vertically. Not sure how to keep the live rock from just cracking apart.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

another loser posted:

Anybody have experience/tips for drilling live rock? Planning on using a masonry bit and acrylic pegs to join a couple pieces vertically. Not sure how to keep the live rock from just cracking apart.

I have no idea, but I'd guess low torque high speed, and make sure to keep it wet. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to do that in a really well ventilated area, preferably outside I'd imagine. You grind up some nasty poo poo doing that. And if it's got any zoanthids on it be careful as they are highly toxic. Touching or inhaling them is a bad idea.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

I have no idea, but I'd guess low torque high speed, and make sure to keep it wet. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to do that in a really well ventilated area, preferably outside I'd imagine. You grind up some nasty poo poo doing that. And if it's got any zoanthids on it be careful as they are highly toxic. Touching or inhaling them is a bad idea.

Good point, just finished reading about a couple cases of guys getting really drat sick from inhaling the dust.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

another loser posted:

Good point, just finished reading about a couple cases of guys getting really drat sick from inhaling the dust.

Yeah be extremely careful. Might not hurt to wear a respirator doing that poo poo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVcPxZ_pcQ

One of my really successful pieces--a wild pink and yellow millepora colony that I got a frag of.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
Look at that sexy polyp extension.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

New acquisition. Red-purple-green "maxi mini" anemone. (Stichodactyla tapetum)

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
So I ordered 160 lbs of fine sand from MarcoRocks, I may or may not use it all (making a 4" sand bed), but how much "live sand" would I need to seed this properly?

I was wondering if one-two 20lb bag would be good and just let it cycle for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dono posted:

So I ordered 160 lbs of fine sand from MarcoRocks, I may or may not use it all (making a 4" sand bed), but how much "live sand" would I need to seed this properly?

I was wondering if one-two 20lb bag would be good and just let it cycle for a while?

Just get a couple cups of sand from local reefers, don't bother with bagged stuff.

• Locked thread