Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

7. Life is Beautiful - I have such a bad feeling about this.

Oh man, you have so many movies on your list that I think are fantastic. But I'm going to have to go with this one. I find it haunting and wonderful and sad and funny and awesome. Hope you come out feeling the same!

So I just finished Raging Bull after too drat long. I was not impressed. Maybe I just don't identify with sports films, but I found it very boring. The acting was good, but I really did not like Jake at all. I had no sympathy for him and his stupid guido ways, especially with how he treated Vickie. Pesci was really really good and I enjoyed all the scenes he was in, but that's about as much as I enjoyed it. Bleh.

Here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Seven Samurai. My husband loves this film to death, but I've never seen it. Not a fan of old black and whites, so I'm hoping it will keep me interested.

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Lawrence of Arabia. Never even really heard much about this movie. I know it's a classic, but up until this thread, I never thought it was something I had to see. Here's hoping it's as good as everyone says it is and worth the time to watch it.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Raging Bull

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Psycho - Oh my, was this a good film. First I thought we were going to follow Marion Crane getting away, but was I surprised. The sudden shift of main character was genius and after that it just got weirder and weirder until the end when my mind was blown away. Norman Bates was such a creepy character that makes anyone feel uneasy to see and hear talking on the screen. An amazing piece of mystery/thriller drama. 10/10

Bodnoirbabe Give 2001: A Space Odyssey another chance at least, I think it deserves it.

1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse
More Fritz Lang. I think I have seen this mentioned here in the thread.

6. Le samourai
Have been interested in this for quite some time.

7. A Fistful of Dollars
Never seen any of the "Dollar" movies.

8. Paris, Texas
I have seen the trailer and it looks amazing.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Mouchette
I have seen Diary of a Country Priest and Pickpocket and I love both of them. More Bresson!

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho

von Braun fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 10, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So I just finished Raging Bull after too drat long. I was not impressed. Maybe I just don't identify with sports films, but I found it very boring. The acting was good, but I really did not like Jake at all. I had no sympathy for him and his stupid guido ways, especially with how he treated Vickie. Pesci was really really good and I enjoyed all the scenes he was in, but that's about as much as I enjoyed it. Bleh.
This is basically how I felt about the movie. I was still at least lukewarm toward it, but it's the only Scorsese movie that ever disappointed me. But still, Scorsese is very, very prolific, so as far as I'm concerned he gets a pass if one or two films don't affect me much.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

von Braun, you're going to watch A Fistful of Dollars. It's one of the best movies of all time, let alone one of the best westerns.

My list:

Solaris - I tried to watch this a month or so ago, but I was tired, which made the subtitles really hard to read. I've been meaning to try it again when I'm not so sleepy, but I keep forgetting, or putting it off in favour of something easier to watch.

Topaz - I absolutely love Hitchcock, but this is another one I've seen part of, then turned off and never picked up again for various stupid reasons. My appendix exploded while I was watching this one, so I unfairly associate it with a pretty miserable experience.

The Searchers - I like westerns, and I like the little bit of John Ford that I've seen, but for some reason I just can't stand John Wayne.

M - Fritz Lang is awesome, so I really have no excuse on this one other than it being being a little hard to find.

The Third Man - I've probably seen this entire movie in five-minute chunks, but for some reason or another, I've never actually sat down and watched it beggining to end.

Touch of Evil - I've seen the opening five minutes quite a few times, but I've never seen anything beyond that. I'm pretty sure I have to turn in my Film Nerd card for admitting that.

Rashomon - I own the Criterion Seven Samurai DVD, but that's all the Kurusawa I've ever seen. My excuses on this one is that I've never found anywhere that rents it.

Chinatown - Roman Polanski is great, but I have a very hit-or-miss relationship with Jack Nicholson. He's either the best part of a movie or the worst, and his bad performances are enough to throw me off seeing some of his good ones.

Once Upon a Time in America - This is another one where I've seen the opening more times than I can count, and nothing more. Once again, I have no excuses on this one. I've never seen a Leone movie that didn't blow me away, so I'm kinda stumped on this one.

The Thin Red Line - Mallick is great, and I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed The New World, but I've never really cared for war movies. I have no great affection for Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, or most of the other classics I've seen, and I can't see this one bucking that trend. Maybe I'm wrong.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CloseFriend posted:

This is basically how I felt about the movie. I was still at least lukewarm toward it, but it's the only Scorsese movie that ever disappointed me. But still, Scorsese is very, very prolific, so as far as I'm concerned he gets a pass if one or two films don't affect me much.

I mainly fell into the trap of believing the focus was on his career and that it'd be just a dark, gritty boxing movie. Instead I got to watch 2 hours of one of the most unlikeable assholes to ever grace cinema. I've only seen it once but in retrospect I feel like I'd enjoy it more on a second viewing, since I now know what to expect.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
BulletRiddled, see Touch of Evil.

My movies:

Dr. Strangelove: I know this makes a lot of people's heads spin, but I have been very lethargic about seeing this film. I even own the DVD (picked it up from when Hollywood Video was going out of business), just never sat down and, you know, watched it.

Eraserhead: This I want to see due to sheer curiosity. I know it's hosed up but I don't know what to expect in the slightest.

Pulp Fiction: This is another shameful secret of mine, but I still haven't seen this film. I'm sorta afraid that since this film has been parodied so much though that I won't enjoy it for being itself.

Precious: I almost forgot how much I wanted to see this until it popped up on Netflix for instant streaming. It's sitting there, just waiting to be watched, but nope.

The Girl Who Played With Fire: I literally have no idea what this film is other than it being apparently being very good and that the poster is pretty awesome.

The Secret of Kells: I'm an animation geek and I feel bad about not seeing this. Some of my friends think this should have gotten the Oscar for best animated film, so I'm definitely curious.

Ink: Again, know nothing other than a friend loving this film. He gets madder and madder as the days go by without me seeing it, but, again, I'm just very lazy.

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?: The premise of this film intrigues me, but it has taken back seat to many things in my life. I never felt like I was "in the mood" so I never saw it.

Serenity: I hate space sci-fi nearly universally. I hear this film is fantastic though, and I feel like less of a nerd for not seeing it.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Again, this is entirely a "not in the right mood" deal. I also am afraid that since there are so many parodies that it'll not be as impactful. I just wanna understand those drat image macros :argh:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vidyatendo posted:

The Girl Who Played With Fire: I literally have no idea what this film is other than it being apparently being very good and that the poster is pretty awesome.

Serenity: I hate space sci-fi nearly universally. I hear this film is fantastic though, and I feel like less of a nerd for not seeing it.

These two are both sequels, Bro Namath.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher

penismightier posted:

These two are both sequels, Bro Namath.

I didn't know that about Serenity, but TGWPWF was a dumbass goof on my part. I knew that film was part of the same series as The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but I didn't know which one came first. My bad.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I don't know anything about those Swedish murder mysteries, but you won't get very much out of Serenity if you don't watch Firefly first. Just a heads up.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You're not supposed to like him and you're not supposed to feel much sympathy at all, apart from maybe the fact that at the end, he understands that he's become his neuroses, all masculine ego, and even he hates himself and that he's pathetic, not because he's been jailed, but because he's only half human. After that, he's a parody, but at least he's self-aware.

Also, it's dangerous to judge a film on what you connect or identify with, or if you empathise with a character. Sports films can be good because they amplify the emotions at work and give insight into the extremes of behaviour. I don't like watching boxing, but Scorsese gave us what this man was like: he was an animal, and in the end he had no comprehension of how to communicate except through his fists.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

knees of putty posted:

You're not supposed to like him and you're not supposed to feel much sympathy at all, apart from maybe the fact that at the end, he understands that he's become his neuroses, all masculine ego, and even he hates himself and that he's pathetic, not because he's been jailed, but because he's only half human. After that, he's a parody, but at least he's self-aware.

Also, it's dangerous to judge a film on what you connect or identify with, or if you empathise with a character. Sports films can be good because they amplify the emotions at work and give insight into the extremes of behaviour. I don't like watching boxing, but Scorsese gave us what this man was like: he was an animal, and in the end he had no comprehension of how to communicate except through his fists.

I know that we're not supposed to like him. That didn't escape me that Scorsese was putting a character on the screen that we were supposed to hate. The problem comes with not caring about the guy. I don't give a poo poo. I didn't even give a poo poo enough to want to watch him fail. That's how awful it was.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Vidyatendo, you get Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. The memes from it have nothing to do with the overall plot and it is a fun ride of a movie. I imagine you'll be getting Pulp Fiction next anyways.

----------

I watched two more movies from my list before getting around to my assignment of Once Upon A Time In The West.

Barry Lyndon - Watched this one because it was expiring from Netflix on the first of the new year. I enjoyed this movie alot. People weren't kidding when they said you could pause the movie and get a screenshot that looked like a painting (at least when the camera stopped movie). I understand how people could look at it as slow but I thought it fit the time period and I the only thing I was disappointed with was the ending (although there was no need to go any further) and the surprise of the death of his son spoiled by the voiceover. 86/100

Metropolis - Decided to put my Netflix account on hold so I wanted to knock this one out. There were good chunks of this movie where I was fighting sleep for all I was worth but eventually it dragged me in and I was in awe at the scope/visuals of it. Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. 80/100

Once Upon A Time In The West - This is the movie that convinced me that the Western just isn't for me. Much tighter than The Good, The Bad & The Ugly but the story didn't pull me in like A Fistful Of Dollars. I don't know what else to say about this one. It was beautiful to look at and I'm glad Sergio Leone eased up on the closeups. 79/100

----------

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

*new* Alien: Fell through the cracks with me. Never thought about tracking it down until the Blu-Ray came out. I remember my Dad watching part of one of these while on vacation when I was a kid and it scared the hell out of me.

*new* Dazed And Confused: Sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to watch it. Bought this when HD-DVD died. Remember seeing part of it on TV and I enjoyed it.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray but I do have a HD copy on my DVR.

*new* Annie Hall: Haven't watched any Woody Allen yet and this one is sitting on my DVR.

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Watched: The Seventh Seal (83/100), The Man With No Name Trilogy (79/100 - 80/100 - 79/100), Once Upon A Time In The West (79/100)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sporadic posted:

*new* Alien: Fell through the cracks with me. Never thought about tracking it down until the Blu-Ray came out. I remember my Dad watching part of one of these while on vacation when I was a kid and it scared the hell out of me.

The perfect mix of horror and science fiction. One of my all-time favorites and will always garner an instant recommendation.

The General - I've seen 6 or 7 silent films now and this is now my favorite. The pacing throughout the movie, especially the train sequence, felt very modern. Interesting to see that it's based on real events. It wouldn't call it a comedy however.

IMDb list:

#74 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look. (added 7/11/10)

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#91 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once. (added 9/25/10)

#102 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#123 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much. (added 12/11/10)

#127 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#128 Wild Strawberries - Just haven't gotten around to it. It seems every Bergman film I watch is profound on some level. (added 1/7/11)

#129 Snatch - It has been recommended but I forgot to watch this one at some point. (added 1/7/11)

new #131 Grave of the Fireflies - Another I can say I know 0% about. (added 1/10/11)

#138 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all. (added 12/30/10)

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

Zogo posted:

#91 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once. (added 9/25/10)

I just recently watched this too, and it is certainly worth more than just that monologue to end all monologues. It's pure Chaplin goodness, and you'll probably dig it.

As for me, I am now another in a long line of goons who have watched Seven Samurai because of this thread, and I loved it. It's pretty much How to Make a Good Film 101. Great characters, a thrilling story, superb cinematography, and too loving long to ignore once it grabs you. I laughed, I stopped breathing, I cheered out loud, I wanted to watch lots more Kurosawa. That's what it's all about. Totally watching The Magnificent Seven next, just to see how it stacks up.

I also cheated and watched some others from my list too:

Akira was incredible as well. Some of the finest hand-drawn animation there has probably ever been, and iconic animé madness dripping all over like the fleshy tendrils of a giant biomechanoid monster baby.

Tejút pleasantly surprised me. Benedek Fliegauf crafted some touching, funny, and wholly engrossing short stories out of what could have been just glorified surveillance footage. And if you've seen it, tell me you didn't half expect a triumphant high-five just then. You know what I mean.

Finally, Koyaanisqatsi was just as good as I remember, and even if it's not my next assignment, I'll probably round out the trilogy before the end of the month.

++LIST OF SHAME++
Ran
Yojimbo
High and Low
- I want to watch tons more Kurosawa now.
Hausu - Me and cult Japanese cinema, I just don't know.
The Descent - Every online taste aggregator I've been subjected to says I'll like this. They might be right.
Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi - I'd like to finish the trilogy
Baraka
Chronos
The Man With the Movie Camera
- Like the Qatsi trilogy, I just love me some good pure-visual documentary.
Toy Story 3 - Kind of cheating, sure, but I really should have seen it by now.

So Far: Time Bandits - 6/10 | Seven Samurai - 10/10 | Tejút - 10/10 | Akira - 8/10 | Koyaanisqatsi - 10/10

e: VVV The steel shipping crates was my favorite part and probably the simplest mob movie ever. The part I mean, though, was the old guy getting a handjob in the pool. Oh god, and then that other guy swims right through it.

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 11, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

pill for your ills posted:

Tejút pleasantly surprised me. Benedek Fliegauf crafted some touching, funny, and wholly engrossing short stories out of what could have been just glorified surveillance footage. And if you've seen it, tell me you didn't half expect a triumphant high-five just then. You know what I mean.

I've seen it but I don't remember it well enough to know what you mean. I remember something about a hill (maybe a pile of rocks or trash?), something about a wall of storage containers, and something about a little playground.

My memory sucks :(

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

pill for your ills: I'm giving you a Kurosawa. Part of me wants to give you "High and Low" just so you can see that Kurosawa did so much more then just epic period films. The other part of me wants to give you his MOST epic film. So for you, I'm decided to give you Ran. You've seen what he can do with cinema, wait until you see what he does when he uses color.

Watched La Strada today. Pretty fantastic, beautiful, and sad movie. Really enjoyed it and look forward to some more Fellini.

1. Any Fellini movie NOT "La Strada"

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. The Great Escape:
Just never saw it, and know nothing about it.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Die Hard:
It shames me that I haven't seen this one. I love action movies, and enjoy some Bruce Willis. I just never saw this for some reason.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what
zandert33 - I'm going to pick the film from your list I'm most familiar with, Die Hard, though it's a shame you can't watch it in the run up to Christmas.

My list:

1. Millions - I've seen and enjoyed all the other Danny Boyle films, so I might as well watch this one.
2. The Game - While I'm at it I might as well work through Fincher too.
3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Quite curious about this series.
4. The Elephant Man - Pinched from the previous post.
5. Three Colors: Blue - Been sitting on my shelf for too drat long and I just need someone to force me to watch it already.
6. The Fountain - only this and Below to round out Aronofsky, and this is the one I'm most curious about.

[EDIT] I'll round out my list with the 4 highest rated films on IMDB that I haven't seen.

7. The Godfather: Part II
8. 12 Angry Men
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
10. Seven Samurai

Captain Hilarious fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 11, 2011

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Captain Hilarious posted:

5. Three Colors: Blue - Been sitting on my shelf for too drat long and I just need someone to force me to watch it already.

Jumping in because I've been really lax on my movie watching.

Blue is about as perfect as Kieslowski gets. So, Captain Hilarious, I hope that you enjoy it because that's what I'm picking for you to watch.

My list (mostly from the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book my girlfriend got for me last year):

1. Chungking Express: I loved the subtle romantic shifts of In The Mood For Love and have been wanting to watch more Chinese films, I just haven't gotten around to this one.
2. Andrei Rublev: Tarkovsky is a director that I need more exposure to. Loved his Solaris and I like more spiritually infused movies. Plus they're almost all available online legally from that awesome website for free, so I've been lazy more than anything else.
3. The Graduate: Given my embarrassingly huge love for Garden State when I was just getting into movies you'd think I'd have watched this by now. But, for partly that reason, I haven't.
4. Weekend: I've seen six Goddard films at this point and he's nicely divided between hit (Breathless, Pierrot le Fou) and intriguing miss (Two or Three Things I Know About Her, Alphaville). Apparently this one is more "accessible" so I've been curious but never fully pushed over the edge.
5. Straw Dogs: Never seen any Peckinpah and this one divides folks more than The Wild Bunch.
6. Time of the Gypsies: I absolutely loved When Father Was Away On Business and Do You Remember, Dolly Bell? and I've been sitting on a copy of this for way too long.
7. Safe: Very nearly hated Velvet Underground but loved the Sirk fueled Far From Heaven. I've heard great things about Safe but I've been weary.
8. The New World: Love Days of Heaven, loved Badlands, loved The Thin Red Line, think that Tree of Life looks transcendent - but I've never watched the Pocahontas film.
9. Das Boot: I'm lukewarm to friendly with most of Wolfgang Petersen's work (except for Troy, bleh) and this is the film I've heard is actually great instead of "Get off my plane" great. But the track record scares me.
10. Modern Times: I'm a Keaton man, and I've tried to love Chaplin but I still seem to be at a distance from him. I've been told this is great, but I've been a bit hesitant to try.

Punch Drunk Drewsky fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 11, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Nice to have you Punch Drunk Drewsky, I'll start you off with The Graduate. Enjoy.

So Butch Cassidy was quite enjoyable. Overall just a really well done and fun western. 7.5/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#28 The Bicycle Thief - Don't know much about this but I like the idea of it.

#29 Wild Strawberries - Thinking about it the day after I think The Seventh Seal may be one of my new favorite movies. Let's get some more Bergman.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

#33 The Thing - John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, sci-fi/horror classic. Why haven't I seen this?

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
TrixRabbi - go with Wild Strawberries

Band of Outsiders was cool. I liked all the little stylistic and quirky things that Godard used. I've seen about five Godard films now and Contempt is the only one I didn't care for.

Updated list:
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

I vitelloni - Probably the biggest Fellini that I haven't seen, so I might as well throw this in here.

Lilja 4-ever - as far as I understand this is supposed to be kind of depressing. I've seen a couple of Moodysson's other movies and liked (or loved) them.

Andrei Rublev - Getting some more Tarkovsky in here.

L'Atalante - This is pretty well regarded, although I've seen some rather mixed opinions about it in this thread. Still, seems worth checking out.

Nashville - I like Altman and this is one I've been meaning to see for a while.

Paris, Texas - Don't really have much experience at all with Wenders but this should be a good place to start.

Seen - Breathless, Pink Flamingos, Do the Right Thing, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Downfall, Fitzcarraldo, Z, Spartacus, The Elephant Man, Scenes from a Marriage, Audition, Three Colors Trilogy, Stalker, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, El Topo, Belle de jour, The Piano Teacher, Apocalypse Now, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Babel, Shoot the Piano Player, La dolce vita, The Birth of a Nation, Man with a Movie Camera, L'age d'or, The Rules of the Game, Stroszek, Rosemary's Baby, Through a Glass Darkly, Bride of Frankenstein, The Thin Blue Line, Even Dwarfs Started Small, The Godfather, The Idiots, The Godfather Part II, Vivre sa vie, Stray Dog, The Haunting, Glengarry Glen Ross, Destiny, Scarlet Street, Intolerance, Band of Outsiders

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

dotCommunism posted:

Paris, Texas - Don't really have much experience at all with Wenders but this should be a good place to start.

'Paris, Texas' is a really great intro to Wenders. Also, give 'Contempt' another chance some day, I've found that most people warm up to it on a second viewing.

I finally watched 'The Wizard of Oz.' I feel like on some level I've experienced enough pop culture to know that was shot in Technicolor, but I was still genuinely taken by surprise when she steps out of her house and into that carnival-colored dwarf village. It really is a breathtaking transition from what, up to that point, I'd found a surprisingly warm and subdued sort of Capra-esque slice of life. Overall I thought the physical sort of slap-stick dancing of the supporting characters was more memorable than the music it accompanied. Bert Lahr as the lion, in particular, had a nice broad vaudevillian touch.

My revised list:

1.) Fantomas- I'm not familiar with this era of silent serials, and there's a new set of these out. I love Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse so the genesis of that sort of criminal mastermind genre is also interesting to me.

3.) Cria Cuevos- I really liked Ana Torrent in The Spirit of the Beehive. I've heard good things about this too, and Spanish film is kind of a lacunae in my education.

5.) Late Spring- I just recently have begun getting familiar with Ozu. I still find his style sort of forbiddingly austere, but I want to keep exploring.

6.) Z- Or any Costa-Gavras. Army of Shadows sort of put me in the mood for political thrillers.

11.) The Earrings of Madame de...- I've just never seen anything by Max Ophuls. I recall reading about him in one of Pauline Kael's books. Sounds like somebody I should know, I guess.

14.) The Magician- I like Bergman, but I don't know too much about this one. Supposedly sort of a dark comedy?

15.) Blood of a Poet- I loved Beauty and the Beast and I'm ready to watch more Cocteau.

16.) Solo Con tu Pareja- Alfonso Cuaron is really hit or miss with me, but somebody recommended this. I don't know, it looks fun.

19.) Shoot the Piano Player- I saw the first half hour or so of this in school, but had to leave in the middle. I had enjoyed what I'd seen, but for whatever reason never got around to finishing it.

20.) Tales of Hoffman- I missed out on watching this at a friend's apartment during a recent snowstorm and regret it. I feel a little left out of the ensuing P&P chat.

Watched: If..., Paris, Texas, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Modern TImes, Beauty & the Beast, Short Cuts, Sweet Movie, Stranger Than Paradise, Peeping Tom, The Wizard of Oz

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Archyduke, you get Shoot The Piano Player.

Wild Strawberries was very good, although I enjoyed The Seventh Seal a lot more. I feel like if I were to wait once every several years or so and watch it again I'd grow to appreciate it more. It actually reminded me a lot of Seventh Seal, between Isak gaining his own sort of entourage as he travels through his story. Not to mention the themes of death, fidelity, living life to it's fullest. Also the chessboard in the beginning and Max von Sydow popping up made me think of it as well. I'm definitely throwing some more Bergman on this list in the future. 8/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#28 The Bicycle Thief - Don't know much about this but I like the idea of it.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

#33 The Thing - John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, sci-fi/horror classic. Why haven't I seen this?

#34 A Fish Called Wanda - Probably the biggest post-Python project from any of the troupe that I've yet to see.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 12, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

TrixRabbi, you get Goldfinger. It's not the first—or in my opinion the best—of Connery's Bond films, but it's still a great one and the best starting point.

I just finished Kagemusha and I didn't really get into it like I wanted to. I feel shallow saying this, but it felt slow, dry, and for long stretches (especially the first half) really boring. And it's not like this is the first movie like that I've seen; this is my 9th Kurosawa movie and I gave Paris, Texas a 99 on Criticker. Some scenes were really cool. The dream scene was amazing in its stark simplicity. The battle scenes were sophisticated and well-done. The acting was great; a fitting final film for Takashi Shimura. The story's subtext is very effective as well. I just ended up feeling every minute of its runtime. I still liked it; it just didn't blow me away.

I also watched Where Eagles Dare and I'm pretty sure that's one of the best war films I've ever seen. There could have been a little more humor, especially since the two main characters were so different. I was also hoping for some better characterization of the "other guys," but by the end of the movie that makes more sense. Other than that, the movie had everything a war film should have: shootings, explosions, crazy plot twists, even crazier gondola action, and an ending I didn't see coming at all. It was also a bit long, but still good.

I also watched Pierrot le Fou. I went into that movie knowing nothing about it or its director. I enjoyed it; it was pretty out-there. I don't think its surrealism worked quite as well as, say, 8½, but it was still fairly interesting. More than anything, I felt a lot of unused potential, plus the constant quotes lost all meaning after a while. I still really liked it, though.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha

Hey, the next one will be my 50th one. HAH!

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: I've heard it's awesome; it sounds pretty out-there and kinda fun.
Akira: I watched this as part of my high school's Japanese Club, but I can't say I really "watched" the movie since it basically consisted of waiting for the other kids to stop going nuts over the one shot of animated boobs.
The Battleship Potemkin: Bob McKee described this movie as one where the protagonist is the proletariat. I've never seen a film with a protagonist that big. It sounds interesting as silents go... and nice and short to boot.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Jules et Jim: I don't know anything about this movie either, but a lot of people love it.
L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Terminator: Never seen the first one. I only half-remember the second one; I watched it once when I was 9. I should probably just start over.
Walkabout : My non-Luhrmann, non-Gibson Australian film education is sadly lacking.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yesterday Girl is one of those movies that doesn't know what to do with itself. When it's on, it's an energetic, beautiful, inventive movie - like the opening shot which is startling and wonderful, and the weird proto-Herzog stop-motion interlude. For much of its duration, though, it's wanderingly procedural; too in love with the French New Wave to realize it should be creating its own rhythms.

CloseFriend, hit up Potemkin. Also, don't sweat not liking Kagemusha. It has its moments but I think it's pretty much just Ran Junior.

New List:

Battleground This is apparently peerleesly realistic for the era.

Two-Lane Blacktop This is supposed to be like a drive-in classic, right? I like those.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

NEW: Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself With Tea So this is like if Marty McFly was a nazi, right?

The Fallen Idol What the hell is this thing about?

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Chimes at Midnight I know, I know. I started it once and never finished it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 13, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
penismightier, go ahead with Battleground

Aguirre, the Wrath of God was the first non-documentary Herzog I've seen and I loved it. Kinski was scarily crazy and I liked the use of the jungle as almost another character in the film. I love films about obsession and madness, so this was right in my wheel house.

1) Dawn of the Dead- not a horror guy, but I'm trying to see all the classics
2) Chinatown- finishing up my important films of the 70s list
3) The Day The Earth Stood Still- need to watch more early science fiction
4) Pierrot Le Fou_ more Godard for me
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- the last major Newman film I have to see
9) The Gold Rush- more Chaplin
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

CloseFriend posted:

I just finished Kagemusha and I didn't really get into it like I wanted to. I feel shallow saying this, but it felt slow, dry, and for long stretches (especially the first half) really boring. And it's not like this is the first movie like that I've seen; this is my 9th Kurosawa movie and I gave Paris, Texas a 99 on Criticker. Some scenes were really cool. The dream scene was amazing in its stark simplicity. The battle scenes were sophisticated and well-done. The acting was great; a fitting final film for Takashi Shimura. The story's subtext is very effective as well. I just ended up feeling every minute of its runtime. I still liked it; it just didn't blow me away.

Really don't be too worried about it. Many Kurosawa fans aren't fans of this movie. I personally really liked it a lot (and for a couple of years I thought it was actually better then "Ran", but I've since changed my mind), but I'm pretty much in the minority.

If you haven't seen "Ran" yet, I'd recommend it, Kagemusha is pretty much a "test run" prior to "Ran".

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wow, Battleground was way better than I expected. I don't much like most war movies, and these post-war American ones just don't do it for me, with a few exceptions. This is one such exception. I felt a heavy influence on Band of Brothers and Private Ryan. My boy Ricardo Montalban kicked rear end. It dragged a bit at the end, but for the most part was as good as I had heard - peerlessly realistic for its era.

Mistletoe Donkey, your list is always the hardest to pick from. I really want to give you DotD, The Gold Rush, and of course Shane, but I gotta go with my gut here and suggest The Day the Earth Stood Still. I just watched it the other day. Still fuckin' awesome.

New List:

NEW ONE: Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Two-Lane Blacktop This is supposed to be like a drive-in classic, right? I like those.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

NEW: Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself With Tea So this is like if Marty McFly was a nazi, right?

The Fallen Idol What the hell is this thing about?

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Chimes at Midnight I know, I know. I started it once and never finished it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10)

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier posted:

As is usually the case, I have not seen any movies on your list. This one sounds interesting at least.

Captain Lou posted:

Atheistdeals.com, you get to see Bresson's Pickpocket - one of my favorite films. As a little bonus, you have to read Sontag's short essay on Bresson too: http://www.coldbacon.com/writing/sontag-bresson.html And if you like Paul Schrader's work (particularly with Scorsese), you'll appreciate it more after seeing Pickpocket.

I watched Pickpocket and I enjoyed it well enough. The pickpocketing sequences themselves are by far the best parts of the film. Unfortunately Bresson's insistence on bare-bones, no frills acting did not appeal to me at all. The man does what he sets out to do perfectly, but the end result is not really my cup of tea. I do have to say that despite the lukewarm feeling that I had after watching it, the film is constructed brilliantly and I definitely understand why other people love it so much.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

6. Pulp Fiction - I've seen large chunks of it, including the ending, but I feel like I should watch it from start to finish sometime. Unfortunately I don't think I could get full enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Pickpocket Lawrence of Arabia - But it's soooooo long! :qq:

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
So, Athiestdeals.com, I'm going to give you Amadeus.

I'm still not sure how to react to The Mirror. I really enjoyed Tarkovsky's visuals, though I thought some of the cinematography in some of the black and white scenes was odd. There were other scenes, however, that were absolutely gorgeous, and incredibly evocative. I really liked the use of the same actress for both the Mother and Natalia, it really emphasized the use of non-linear storytelling.

Other than that, I think I'll have to watch the movie several more times to really form my opinion.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

To Be or Not to Be I can see why this got a less than warm response when it first came out.

Viridiana I don't know anything about this, but the story sounds very intriguing.

Nashville I do love me some Robert Altman.

Fanny and Alexander More Bergman.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower - you get Sunrise

Paris, Texas was outstanding. The climax was so emotional and just amazingly powerful and draining. Harry Dean Stanton was great, especially how his character developed and slowly changed and came back to reality.

I also knocked off Bad Education since it's been on my list forever. This was an interesting mystery type movie which did a good job mixing in the movie business and queer themes.

Updated list:
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

I vitelloni - Probably the biggest Fellini that I haven't seen, so I might as well throw this in here.

Lilja 4-ever - as far as I understand this is supposed to be kind of depressing. I've seen a couple of Moodysson's other movies and liked (or loved) them.

Andrei Rublev - Getting some more Tarkovsky in here.

L'Atalante - This is pretty well regarded, although I've seen some rather mixed opinions about it in this thread. Still, seems worth checking out.

Nashville - I like Altman and this is one I've been meaning to see for a while.

Viridiana - continuing to work my way through Bunuel's catalogue.

The Red Shoes - not the type of movie that would normally appeal to me, but it's extremely well regarded and has been recommended in this thread a ton, so I can't argue with it.

Seen - Breathless, Pink Flamingos, Do the Right Thing, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Downfall, Fitzcarraldo, Z, Spartacus, The Elephant Man, Scenes from a Marriage, Audition, Three Colors Trilogy, Stalker, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, El Topo, Belle de jour, The Piano Teacher, Apocalypse Now, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Babel, Shoot the Piano Player, La dolce vita, The Birth of a Nation, Man with a Movie Camera, L'age d'or, The Rules of the Game, Stroszek, Rosemary's Baby, Through a Glass Darkly, Bride of Frankenstein, The Thin Blue Line, Even Dwarfs Started Small, The Godfather, The Idiots, The Godfather Part II, Vivre sa vie, Stray Dog, The Haunting, Glengarry Glen Ross, Destiny, Scarlet Street, Intolerance, Band of Outsiders, Bad Education, Paris, Texas

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Blue is about as perfect as Kieslowski gets. So, Captain Hilarious, I hope that you enjoy it because that's what I'm picking for you to watch.

Watched Blue last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, not going to bother adding White and Red to my list because I'll definitely watch them this weekend. Also watched Millions, which wasn't great, but at least that's all of Boyle covered.

dotCommunism, I haven't seen any of the films on your list, so I'll just pick The Red Shoes.

My new list:

1. Lolita - Making a start on what I haven't seen of Kubrick's catalogue.
2. The Game - Working through what I haven't seen of Fincher.
3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Quite curious about this series.
4. The Elephant Man - Pinched from a previous post.
5. Field of Dreams - It just sounds like drat good fun.
6. The Fountain - Only this and Below to round out Aronofsky, and this is the one I'm most curious about.

I'll round out my list with the 4 highest rated films on IMDB that I haven't seen.

7. The Godfather: Part II
8. 12 Angry Men
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
10. Seven Samurai

Already watched: Three Colours: Blue, Millions.

Captain Hilarious fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Might want to hold on The Game, there's a Criterion due out this year (might even be announced today) and the current DVD is unbelievably terrible.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Captain Hilarious, satisfy your curiosity and watch The Fountain. And I recommend reading the novels of Lolita and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest before you watch the films, if you haven't already.

The Elephant Man was great, as I knew it would be. It was definitely more Lynchian than I expected, which touches of his trademark style here and there, especially the beginning and ending, which was just bizarre. However it's definitely the most "conventional" Lynch film I have seen. Absolutely beautiful black and white cinematography and John Hurt's performance was mind blowing. Also I can see why the Academy created the Best Make-Up award because of this movie.

1. Seven Samurai - Yeah yeah I know... I've loved the Kurosawa films I have seen (Rashomon, Stray Dog, Yojimbo) and I know this is is magnum opus but I have always been scared away by the length. Somebody make me sit the gently caress down and watch this thing.

2. The Last of The Mohicans - I need to see more Michael Mann, I recently saw Manhunter and loved it, and you can't go wrong with Mr. Day-Lewis.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando/Kazan. I've seen On The Waterfront which was fantastic, especially Marlon's performance, and A Face In The Crowd was just amazing. It's about time I see this classic.

4. Shadow of A Doubt - I'm still kind of a Hitchcock newbie, and I hear this was his personal favorite of his films.

5. A Man Escaped - Bresson is the poo poo. Only seen Au Hasard Balthazar and Pickpocket, heard this is one of his best.

6. Touch of Evil - Orson loving Welles.

7. The New World - Terence Malick is a cinematic genius. This is the only one of his 4 films that I have not seen. Feel like it's time now that The Tree of Life is finally coming out.

8. The Rules of The Game - Apparently one of the best films of all time. Also this will be my first Renoir.

9. Wings of Desire - Time for another Wenders. Can this live up to the greatness of Paris, Texas?

10. White - Second film in Kiezlowksi's Three Colors Trilogy. Blue was incredible and I loved The Double Life of Veronique so I'm excited for this.

Watched from this thread: Paris, Texas; Cries and Whispers; The Face of Another; The Elephant Man

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

HP Hovercraft, I've sentenced you to a long movie and a Lynch movie... and you get a long movie again: The Seven Samurai.

I just watched The Battleship Potemkin and I loved it! Part of that love was in spite of itself; more on that in a few sentences. The Odessa steps scene was as amazing as the hype. The part with the kid was just mind-blowing in how quintessentially propagandistic it was. The cinematography and editing were surprisingly well-done. I thought the action scenes were still very action-y. The final climax that closed out the film is still a real nail-biter. Everything else was surprisingly sophisticated. This film is pushing a loving century in age and it'd still be expensive to make today. I liked the one piece of color; now I know where High and Low got that idea. Despite the film's obviously Communist message—which I personally disagree with—I particularly liked the scene that rejected anti-Semitism. Being an ardent anti-racist myself, I really enjoyed that part.

In any case, my favorite part of the film was the irony that history has given it. The anti-tsarist propaganda that comprises the film—and especially the feeling of camaraderie of a repeatedly-screwed-over proletariat in the face of oppression—could really be redirected with only a few changes straight at Stalin. The film symbolically rejects Christianity twofold, yet Vakulinchuk is almost a straight-up Christ figure. Definitely a movie I'm glad I saw.

I also watched The Terminator. I don't think it's aged spectacularly; it's a bit cheap-looking by today's standards. But in some ways that's part of its charm. It gives the movie a visceral look that reminded me of the first Robocop and Total Recall. I understand now why people think Michael Biehn should be more famous than he is. Probably not a movie I'll go to great pains to see again, but I really liked it.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: I've heard it's awesome; it sounds pretty out-there and kinda fun.
Akira: I watched this as part of my high school's Japanese Club, but I can't say I really "watched" the movie since it basically consisted of waiting for the other kids to stop going nuts over the one shot of animated boobs.
Aliens: I know I need to see this, and now out of all the movies in the IMDb Top 250, it's the highest-ranked one that I haven't seen and is on Netflix Instant (besides Fritz Lang's M).
The Bicycle Thief: I don't know much about this, except that Netflix recommends it to noir fans and it's a huge deal in Italian cinema.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Jules et Jim: I don't know anything about this movie either, but a lot of people love it.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Walkabout : My non-Luhrmann, non-Gibson Australian film education is sadly lacking.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

CloseFriend posted:

The Bicycle Thief: I don't know much about this, except that Netflix recommends it to noir fans and it's a huge deal in Italian cinema.

It's not noir, but it's most assuredly worth your time. Enjoy...er, that is, endure.

His Girl Friday was pretty drat funny. All the actors, no matter how small, were perfectly cast and performed amazingly well, from Ralph Bellamy as the quintessential "Aw, shucks!" nice guy, to Billy Gilbert as Joe Pettibone, with the most delightful facial expressions. Having said that, I could not believe Hildy got with Cary Grant at the end of the movie. I thought she was bound to escape the ruthless world of journalism and run off with her hubby to Albany, but no, no lessons were learned. It was kind of a dark punchline.

1. Gaslight: I might as well start charging through some classic noir.

2. Cries and Whispers: I want to keep watching Bergman.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. Earth: I'm really curious to see what Dovzhenko was all about. I saw a really interesting documentary about him and feel obligated to check him out.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

Kull the Conqueror posted:

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

It is excellent. One of my favorite suspense films, and it doesn't feel the need to rush anything. Watch this.

I finally got around to finishing La Dolce Vita. I've found that while I really like Fellini that I need to be in a certain mood to watch one of his movies, because the same thing that happened with me on my first watch of 8 1/2 happened here, where I spent a lot of the time confused and not all that interested in what was going on. And just like with the former, I took a few months to let it be until I felt ready to tackle it, and what do you know, I loved it. Nino Rota's score is stuck in my head as I type this, and the film is absolutely gorgeous to look at. That said, consistently funny and full of life as it is, I was shocked at how cynical it got. Marcello Mastroianni is such a smooth man in 8 1/2 that I expected a lot of that, and while I got quite a bit of that sense of cool from him, his fall from semi-grace is still pretty startling. Images that made me think "what the gently caress was that all about" became very clear by the end of the film, and the more I think about it, the more I marvel at how incredible the whole thing is. Also, I'm a big fan of Nico, so seeing her 2/3 of the way through was a nice surprise.
Updated list:

1. Battle of Algiers- I started it and I liked what I saw, but never got around to the second half.

2. Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

3. Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

4. The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

5. Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. Hearts of Darkness- Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite films, so why I haven’t see this is beyond me.

10. Sherlock, Jr.- Here’s another Buster Keaton I haven’t seen that’s probably hilarious.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

meanmikhail, you get Sherlock, Jr., which I loved. I didn't laugh out loud at it, but the filmmaking is just insanely sophisticated. Even now, it would take a ton of work to make that movie. You'll see what I mean.

I just finished The Bicycle Thief and I loved it. I've been poor, I've been robbed, I've had catastrophic things happen to me through only a little fault of my own, and I've had a bitch of a time finding a job. This movie captures every feeling that comes with that: desperation, paranoia, moral questioning, not being able to look your significant other in the eyes as you drop the worst news of your life. Except for the hitting-the-kid part, emotionally I was right there with Ricci every step of the way. I would never watch this movie again for how depressing and draining it is, but I'm glad I watched it at least once.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief

Aliens: I know I need to see this, and now out of all the movies in the IMDb Top 250, it's the highest-ranked one that I haven't seen and is on Netflix Instant (besides Fritz Lang's M).
The Constant Gardener: All I know is everyone says I'll love this movie because Layer Cake is one of my favorite movies of all time. This isn't two hours of some old guy tending his garden, is it?

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

The Constant Gardener: All I know is everyone says I'll love this movie because Layer Cake is one of my favorite movies of all time. This isn't two hours of some old guy tending his garden, is it?
The Layer Cake comparison confounds me, but The Constant Gardener is your next mission. I think it layers on the liberal guilt a little too thick, but the message is still potent and the film making/acting quite good.

The Graduate Picked by Trixrabbi (6/10): The subtitle of this film being, "How two idiots formed an inexplicable connection and ran away screwed". It's a shame that Benjamin and Elaine's romance takes up the last forty minutes or so of the film because it was dead weight to begin with. There are some chuckle worthy lines here and there, and it's ode/critique of youth without a destination led to some interesting visuals, but it was picking at low hanging fruit in terms of taking aim at the artificiality of the times. Also, Dustin Hoffman's performance seemed a breath away from turning into a bad Woody Allen impersonation at times. Glad to have it out of the way and I understand the influence, but not one that I'll be revisiting.

1. Chungking Express: I loved the subtle romantic shifts of In The Mood For Love and have been wanting to watch more Chinese films, I just haven't gotten around to this one.
2. Andrei Rublev: Tarkovsky is a director that I need more exposure to. Loved his Solaris and I like more spiritually infused movies. Plus they're almost all available online legally from that awesome website for free, so I've been lazy more than anything else.
3. The Sting: It has Robert Redford and Paul Newman so I've never been sure that my body could handle that much concentrated charm.
4. Weekend: I've seen six Goddard films at this point and he's nicely divided between hit (Breathless, Pierrot le Fou) and intriguing miss (Two or Three Things I Know About Her, Alphaville). Apparently this one is more "accessible" so I've been curious but never fully pushed over the edge.
5. Straw Dogs: Never seen any Peckinpah and this one divides folks more than The Wild Bunch.
6. Time of the Gypsies: I absolutely loved When Father Was Away On Business and Do You Remember, Dolly Bell? and I've been sitting on a copy of this for way too long.
7. Safe: Very nearly hated Velvet Underground but loved the Sirk fueled Far From Heaven. I've heard great things about Safe but I've been weary.
8. The New World: Love Days of Heaven, loved Badlands, loved The Thin Red Line, think that Tree of Life looks transcendent - but I've never watched the Pocahontas film.
9. Das Boot: I'm lukewarm to friendly with most of Wolfgang Petersen's work (except for Troy, bleh) and this is the film I've heard is actually great instead of "Get off my plane" great. But the track record scares me.
10. Modern Times: I'm a Keaton man, and I've tried to love Chaplin but I still seem to be at a distance from him. I've been told this is great, but I've been a bit hesitant to try.

Watched because of this thread: The Graduate

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah, Woody Allen impersonations were all the rage in 1967.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, Woody Allen impersonations were all the rage in 1967.
The year doesn't matter. It's just what it reminded me of.