Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
The pharma thing is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of than the Law of the Instrument.

I guess what I'm looking for would be a company developing a product that doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking or revolutionary but does actually serve a purpose. However, in order to make the product seem revolutionary, the company relies on advertising to make the problem their product solves a bigger problem than it actually is, thereby making their product seem like a revolutionary solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
I remember a while ago that there's a supposed movie quote that sounds very familiar but no one can actually find the movie it comes from. I can't recall the quote at all, but I don't believe anyone found the line in any movie. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Googling "very familiar movie quote" is going nowhere.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2011

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2011

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

DVD Drive posted:

That's the beauty of it. It doesn't do anything.

Thank you. That was it.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Elijya posted:

This is more or less what I was looking for, thank you.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

The pharma thing is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of than the Law of the Instrument.

I guess what I'm looking for would be a company developing a product that doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking or revolutionary but does actually serve a purpose. However, in order to make the product seem revolutionary, the company relies on advertising to make the problem their product solves a bigger problem than it actually is, thereby making their product seem like a revolutionary solution.

Listerine and halitosis?
Listerine was orignally a medical grade steriliser, then a floor cleaner, a cure for gonorrhea, then mouthwash with no major changes to the formula.
In order to sell more, they basically made up the idea of halitosis to push it.

No idea of a blanket term, but its an example that may make it easier to search for what you need.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh
When someone dies how do banks figure this out and what do they do with any funds in the account if nobody claims it?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

i am not zach posted:

When someone dies how do banks figure this out and what do they do with any funds in the account if nobody claims it?

Banks figure it out when their next of kin brings some ID and a death certificate. If any account is left inactive long enough (the time varies from bank to bank) the accounts are closed but I'm not sure what happens to money left in the account. Possibly a cashier's check is cut and mailed to the account holder.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Huntersoninski posted:

Banks figure it out when their next of kin brings some ID and a death certificate. If any account is left inactive long enough (the time varies from bank to bank) the accounts are closed but I'm not sure what happens to money left in the account. Possibly a cashier's check is cut and mailed to the account holder.

At least in Canada, they can't close the account. After 10 years of inactivity the funds are transfered to the Bank of Canada. The Bank of Canada sits on it for 30 years. Then if it's less than $1000, they keep it. Otherwise they hold the account for 100 more years before closing it and keeping the money.

There's something like $400 million sitting there waiting for people to claim it. You can even check online if any of it is yours.

That's for the big banks. For the smaller credit unions, they have their own central agencies that takes care of unclaimed money

I'm sure it must be similar in other countries?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
What's the name of the music that plays during the opening to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? Not the theme song (the whistling song that everyone and their mother knows) but the female vocalizing one. It also plays in the intro to Guitar Hero: Metallica.

I can't discern the track name from the list of tracks and I can't get to a website here at work that will let me listen to parts of the songs.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Very Strange Things posted:

This isn't quite it, but it's an interesting article about the similar phenomenon in the health products and pharmaceutical industry -because the first thing I thought of when you posted that was "Restless Leg Syndrome".

http://www.drfranklipman.com/creating-disease-big-pharma-and-disease-mongering/

I ad the pleasure of living among a group of old people, and restless leg syndrome was a very real problem for some of them, and medication for it was a godsend.

Seriously.

Old people talk about their illnesses about two thrids of the time.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Does this site/business look legit in any way? maxsecurecctv.com

I got a response on a job offer for this place (it was a CL ad, so hopefully that's not a scam either) that said they needed to do a background and credit check on me and sent a link to creditreport.com (is that even a legit site?).

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Kitsch! posted:

Does this site/business look legit in any way? maxsecurecctv.com

I got a response on a job offer for this place (it was a CL ad, so hopefully that's not a scam either) that said they needed to do a background and credit check on me and sent a link to creditreport.com (is that even a legit site?).

Blatant scam, if you have to ask yourself it probably is.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Slim Killington posted:

What's the name of the music that plays during the opening to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? Not the theme song (the whistling song that everyone and their mother knows) but the female vocalizing one. It also plays in the intro to Guitar Hero: Metallica.

I can't discern the track name from the list of tracks and I can't get to a website here at work that will let me listen to parts of the songs.

The music that plays during this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlXRengzZoc

It's "The Ecstasy of Gold" by Morricone

also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ecstasy_of_Gold

kapalama fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 10, 2011

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

kapalama posted:

The music that plays during this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlXRengzZoc

It's "The Ecstasy of Gold" by Morricone

Yes, that's it (minus the drum track)! Thanks so much.

e: that's why it was in the intro to GH:M, they played it with the San Fran Orchestra when they recorded S & M.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 10, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Slim Killington posted:

The Ecstasy of Gold

E: Wow, guess I should have refreshed :downs:

DELETED fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 10, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JasonV posted:

There's something like $400 million sitting there waiting for people to claim it. You can even check online if any of it is yours.

:aaa: I have $14 of unclaimed funds.

I have a question: How the hell did that get there?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 11, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mak0rz posted:

:aaa: I have $14 of unclaimed funds.

I have a question: How the hell did that get there?

Basically if a company/institution owes you money they can't (aren't supposed to) just say "well finders keepers losers..." because that money is legally yours.

So it could have come from anywhere really. From something like you having a cafeteria balance at your school when you were 10 to a balance of a bank account you closed.

Here is the US site that aggregates the state sites:

http://www.unclaimed.org/

and one with a good search function:

http://www.missingmoney.com/

E: And their summary of where this comes from:

quote:

What is unclaimed property?

Unclaimed property (sometimes referred to as abandoned) refers to accounts in financial institutions and companies that have had no activity generated or contact with the owner for one year or a longer period. Common forms of unclaimed property include savings or checking accounts, stocks, uncashed dividends or payroll checks, refunds, traveler's checks, trust distributions, unredeemed money orders or gift certificates (in some states), insurance payments or refunds and life insurance policies, annuities, certificates of deposit, customer overpayments, utility security deposits, mineral royalty payments, and contents of safe deposit boxes.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

I ad the pleasure of living among a group of old people, and restless leg syndrome was a very real problem for some of them, and medication for it was a godsend.

Seriously.

Old people talk about their illnesses about two thrids of the time.

My boss said the same thing (about himself) when I laughed about it in front of him. It was a bad example, as it was only my suspicion that the thing was a put-on. I'm still not convinced, but I err on the side of believing him and you I guess.
Sorry if I offended.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

My boss said the same thing (about himself) when I laughed about it in front of him. It was a bad example, as it was only my suspicion that the thing was a put-on. I'm still not convinced, but I err on the side of believing him and you I guess.
Sorry if I offended.

You did not offend. I too was amazed that there was such a problem. If your boss is getting no relief, then tell him to put bars of Dove soap (I think it was Dove soap) under the covers before he goes to sleep. I know, WTF, but people said it helped.

Like I said old people like to talk about disease/medical problems all the drat time, and if they find something that worked, they talk about it even more. Watching the national evening news (and then Antique Roadshow if Jeopardy is not on) with them, you see nothing but old people medicine ads, and you realize the advertisers really know their demographics.

I was the only young person around, so I was in constant demand for moving things, lifting things, driving at night, etc. Or just sitting and wathing the evening news and Jeopardy together.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sorry if I offended.

I have Restless Leg Syndrome, and have had it for as long as I can remember. I don't think you have to worry about offending anyone since it's a bit of a :wtc: medical condition.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

gwar3k1 posted:

Click the blue magnifying glass next to the title of the site. That toggles preview on/off. I suppose that remembering your option is dependent upon having cookies enabled or logging into your Google account (if there's an option there).

I have figured it out.

Clicking the magnifying glass turns it off, but if you click anywhere in the descriptions of the search results (below the hyperlinks) then it turns on again automatically.

I guess I just need to stop being a compulsive clicker.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
What's the name of the recent* movie where a serial killer parades his victims on a webcam and speeds up their deaths as more and more people visit the site and view the stream?

*'recent' as in 'came out in the 2000s

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Zero Star posted:

What's the name of the recent* movie where a serial killer parades his victims on a webcam and speeds up their deaths as more and more people visit the site and view the stream?

*'recent' as in 'came out in the 2000s

Untraceable?

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop
I think my reading comprehension is failing me and I need someone to explain something to me.

I'm reading this article which says that Governor Jerry Brown of California is going to raise taxes, but in the second paragraph it says that hes just going to extend the already existing taxes. How is this a raise? This is the article in question: http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_17056188?nclick_check=1 second paragraph.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Florida Betty posted:

I have figured it out.

Clicking the magnifying glass turns it off, but if you click anywhere in the descriptions of the search results (below the hyperlinks) then it turns on again automatically.

I guess I just need to stop being a compulsive clicker.

That's exactly what I said :colbert:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Cornflake posted:

I think my reading comprehension is failing me and I need someone to explain something to me.

I'm reading this article which says that Governor Jerry Brown of California is going to raise taxes, but in the second paragraph it says that hes just going to extend the already existing taxes. How is this a raise? This is the article in question: http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_17056188?nclick_check=1 second paragraph.

I could be wrong but here's how I read it: If Brown had not been elected, those taxes would have expired. But because Brown is extending them, California taxpayers have to accept paying higher taxes under Brown than they would have otherwise paid.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

It's not just old people who talk about diseases all the time; women over about age 45 seem to relish discussing their medical issues and those of their immediate family. Or maybe that's just my coworkers. :smithicide:

Re: Listerine -- I have also seen/heard it touted as a cure for horses with itchy tails; you wash the dock (the bony part of the tail) with it.

Question! How can you fix a split zipper, and prevent it from happening again? The other night I had to pull my winter coat off over my head. :(

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Cornflake posted:

Well, "the article" nor the headline says that "Jerry Brown of California is going to raise taxes" then does it? ;)

Not trying to be a dick, but; "I read ____ was going to _____, so that guy sucks" is usually created by exactly that method.

Headline news is worse than the rumor mill.

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Well, "the article" nor the headline says that "Jerry Brown of California is going to raise taxes" then does it? ;)

Not trying to be a dick, but; "I read ____ was going to _____, so that guy sucks" is usually created by exactly that method.

Headline news is worse than the rumor mill.

Wow, you're right. For some reason when I read it, my brain interpreted it as him raising taxes.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Cornflake posted:

Wow, you're right. For some reason when I read it, my brain interpreted it as him raising taxes.

Don't feel bad, it was hard for me to sift through as a skeptic when the headline is ambiguous and the first sentence is pretty much a lie then the first paragraph explains the headline and first sentence have nothing to do with anything else in the article.

"News marketing": Why have a hamburger when you can have a "Recently killed animal served to helpless children...BY THEIR OWN PARENTS!"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there way to individually block certain people on Facebook IM? I don't want to list myself as offline completely and miss talking to other friends. I'm 100% ok with this person being my friend, and commenting on my posts or whatever, but I really don't feel like talking to this guy over IM.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Avocadoes posted:

Is there way to individually block certain people on Facebook IM? I don't want to list myself as offline completely and miss talking to other friends. I'm 100% ok with this person being my friend, and commenting on my posts or whatever, but I really don't feel like talking to this guy over IM.

You can create different lists of people in chat and then turn on/off each list individually.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there anything out there that generates virtual credit cards like paypal did? I miss that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Is there anything out there that generates virtual credit cards like paypal did? I miss that.

Some credit card companies do this, but it is not very widespread I don't think. My wife's had a Citi card for ages and has used this to good ends in the past, but when I called USAA about it, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Here is a very old article from the Consumerist about it: http://consumerist.com/2009/07/buy-safely-online-with-virtual-credit-cards.html

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anyone have a replacement for Gmail Manager for hadling multiple Gmail Addresses for Firefox?

Google changed something, which broke the extension, and the extension seems to have been abandoned a while back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A long time ago i saw Japanese comic posted on these forums that featured Marc Bolan of T. Rex goring people with a Samurai sword. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

Anyone have a replacement for Gmail Manager for hadling multiple Gmail Addresses for Firefox?
You could set up each address to forward to a central address, then set up each of those addresses as custom "From" addresses. I've been doing this to manage work and personal addresses from a single account for a while and it's been working OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Quick question, Is it possible to use a standard credit/debit card to pay for purchases through Paypal, or does the money have to be transferred directly into the Paypal account? I'm looking to pick up a few things on Ebay and SA-Mart but it would be kind of annoying to transfer money to Paypal every time.