Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Yo, when are you coming to Thailand el jefe? I missed that.

The best thing to do in Korat is eat burgers at Chokchai Farm. According to Thai people the next best things to do are take your picture in front of Primo Pasto, shop and drink at Palio and have ice cream at Dairy Home before going to the Khao Yai wineries. In reality, Korat kinda blows, but if you're willing to think creatively there's plenty to entertain yourself with and the local yokels are super-friendly. There are a couple of great restaurants on the far end of Pak Chong and then there's all the stuff Ringo mentioned (which is much more impressive than restaurants). Last time I was there was for a funeral in Nakhon Emphysema and as lame as the town was it seemed to have a few things going on. I'm sure being a non-Asian you'd be able to stumble into something stupidly worthwhile.

Shoot me a note before you come over so we can hook up!

I arrive February 11th. I'll send a pm later on to get phone numbers and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well, after a bit of back and forth about where we wanted to go, my girlfriend and I are going to Thailand for 3 weeks this coming Monday, flying in and out of Bangkok. Have never gone on a trip that long with only 5 days notice, but it should all turn out well enough.

The itinerary is very rough at this point, but rigid plans seem like a bad idea anyway. Basically:

*3-4 days in Bangkok
-We're getting in around midnight, it would be nice to have a place booked to go to directly - what are some good options under 1000 bhat or so that I can get in advance? I'm more worried about location and roominess than things like wifi or air conditioning. Something in the middle of things to acclimate to the city, figure out the next part of the trip, but mostly just be able to walk out of the hotel and be in the middle of things would be great.
-I plan to stop by MBK the first day to pick up a sim card, a 220 -> 110 voltage adapter or two, etc - that should be available there, right?
-Where would be a good place to get a couple shirts made?
-I'm not worried about being bored in Bangkok in such a short time, is there any reason to assume we won't be able to just walk around and easily pass the time between eating, drinking, talking to people, etc?

*5-16 days at Ko Phangan
-At this point, the plan is entirely up in the air. I was thinking a decent first destination from Bangkok would be Ko Phangan, would we be disappointed compared to Ko Tao if neither of us are divers? Should I be looking at any other island in particular? Scenery is the main goal, but we don't need anything too isolated and other people are a plus as long as they aren't mostly middle aged sex tourists.
-Would it be uncomfortable or a bad idea to take a bus/train to the mainland there and find a ferry once there?
-There, I would hope to find a bungalow on the beach for a couple days at a time before moving on (depending on...whatever) - how much would that run for something moderately comfortable - again, AC is whatever, but things like toilets and mosquito nets would be nice. How much should we expect to pay per night (I was hoping ~6-800 bhat, less is nice), and how would we go about finding these places beyond seeing where boats and taxis will take us?

*5-13 days at Ko Phangan
OR
*5-13 days at Chian Mai
-If/when we get enough time in the first island chain, the decision would be whether to (a) go across the peninsula to Ko Phi Phi or maybe Ko Mook with the same basic plan as Ko Phangan or (b) get a flight to Chiang Mai for another week or so for some low intensity hiking and sightseeing.
-Any reason any of these aren't accessible without planning?

*1-5 days in Bangkok
-Winding down and getting ready to go home - how long this leg of the trip will depend on how much we enjoy the first leg in Bangkok, I guess.
-Where are the good places to go shopping? This might be a good opportunity to buy a cheap bag to check on the way home and fill with various crap (carry on only on the way in).

*Other stuff
-We were hoping to take some shorter trips to some temples while based in Bangkok. Ayudthaya would be a good day trip? Other suggestions in the general area?
-What are good places to plan to see around the above locations? There should be enough flex in the schedule to explore some, so ideas are nice.
-Are there any events, festivals, or something like that going on over the month of January?
-Anyone care to meet for a drink or three this Wednesday-Saturday in Bangkok?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Derisive comments about ideas or expectations I need to change drastically or rambling late night grammar? And if you're in Thailand, care to shoot me a PM so we can exchange email addresses or something? - I hope to check email a couple times a week or so where available.

Heading out tomorrow, so just trying to get this one a fresh page for the day.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Anything in specific you're worried about? My favorite thing to do was to just show up at the bus station or train station and go "THERE!" and buy a ticket, so over-planning isn't my strong suit, but since I've lived here for about 5 years now I can advise.

EDIT: Also if you guys want to grab a beer on Khao San or something, shoot me a PM. I'm not scary like spog and Ringo and Pompous, all of whom wear glittery makeup and dance around in their undies tossing firecrackers.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
LUB D hostel is nice, it's located in Siam Square BTS station and has double rooms or 4 bed dorms.

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: Also if you guys want to grab a beer on Khao San or something, shoot me a PM. I'm not scary like spog and Ringo and Pompous, all of whom wear glittery makeup and dance around in their undies tossing firecrackers.

Or take you to trannie bars hopping to see you get down with a lady boy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

caberham posted:

LUB D hostel is nice, it's located in Siam Square BTS station and has double rooms or 4 bed dorms.

Or take you to trannie bars hopping to see you get down with a lady boy.

It doesnt really take that much hoping depending on how drunk you get/how naive you are.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to recommend the ThaiVisa Isaan section:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/32-isaan-forum/

Wherein you will discover the top pastimes of Korat (and other Isaan residents), which include:
  • Discussing Where In Isaan One Can Buy Things Like Pizza Sauce, Sausages, Vegemite & the Like
  • Discussing How You Built Your Own House After Dem Thievin' Thais Did A Horrible Job And Stole The Money, Mate
  • Discussing Who Is About To Die Or Has Died
  • Discussing Which Pubs Exist In Town
  • Discussing All The Pubs You Absolutely Won't Go To Because The Owner Is A oval office And/Or His Wife Is A oval office (When Subtracting "All The Pubs You Won't Bloody Go To" From "All Pubs" The Remainder Is Always 1)
  • Discussing "Village Life" And How It Is Not For Everyone, Commonly Featuring Essays On Relatives' Behavior And Early Morning Pu Yai Speaker Announcements
I sincerely LOVE the Isaan sub-forum, though I don't read it but once every few months. It's unintentionally hysterical.

EDIT: Oops, forgot a common topic:
  • Discussing How You Don't Give A gently caress What Them Bangkok Cunts Think Of You And Your Isaan Missus Because Snooty Bangkok Women Are Stuck Up Anyways I Reckon Mate (Example Here)

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 3, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to recommend the ThaiVisa Isaan section:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/32-isaan-forum/

Wherein you will discover the top pastimes of Korat (and other Isaan residents), which include:
  • Discussing Where In Isaan One Can Buy Things Like Pizza Sauce, Sausages, Vegemite & the Like
  • Discussing How You Built Your Own House After Dem Thievin' Thais Did A Horrible Job And Stole The Money, Mate
  • Discussing Who Is About To Die Or Has Died
  • Discussing Which Pubs Exist In Town
  • Discussing All The Pubs You Absolutely Won't Go To Because The Owner Is A oval office And/Or His Wife Is A oval office (When Subtracting "All The Pubs You Won't Bloody Go To" From "All Pubs" The Remainder Is Always 1)
  • Discussing "Village Life" And How It Is Not For Everyone, Commonly Featuring Essays On Relatives' Behavior And Early Morning Pu Yai Speaker Announcements
I sincerely LOVE the Isaan sub-forum, though I don't read it but once every few months. It's unintentionally hysterical.

EDIT: Oops, forgot a common topic:
  • Discussing How You Don't Give A gently caress What Them Bangkok Cunts Think Of You And Your Isaan Missus Because Snooty Bangkok Women Are Stuck Up Anyways I Reckon Mate (Example Here)

Hehe forgot about them singlet wearing 50 year old Brits.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

ThaiVisa :barf:

rockarocka
Dec 8, 2003

I've been traveling through Malaysia and Thailand for about 3 months now and having an awesome time. Met some Thai dudes riding around on Vespas on my way through Thong Tha Phum and camped in Songklaburi with them for a few nights. Traveled with some monks for a day and slept in a monastery in the hills a few hours north of Pai. Smoked some opium in a tiny Lahu village with a crazy british lady I met in Mueng Noi. Watched a Swiss dude get slapped by a ladyboy on Khao San. Got some guns pointed at me during a failed attempt at a border run (wrong border). Theres a lot of awesome awesome stuff to do here if you're happy to put aside your Lonely Planet, which is when I started to really have a great time in Thailand. It might not work so well for those with a tight schedule, but if you have a more open ended trip, I'd highly recommend throwing your guide book away. The maps are handy (but still kinda poo poo in Lonely Planet), but I honestly started to feel that it was more of a burden than a guide. After donating it to a guest house in Bangkok, I felt like I opened my eyes and realised that there is so much more to the Thailand than temples and waterfalls.

That said, I've spent way too long in Pai, so many interesting people (mostly in a crazy way), a bit of music, a bit of art, very easy to get trapped. A lot of Thai tourism, which is nice as you do feel a bit more like an outsider as opposed to intruding, but plenty of nice places to get away from the main streets. I've heard people call it the place where all the hippies end up, but it's definitely a lot more diverse than that if you take the time to stick around and get to know some of the locals. Some really loving crazy people though.

I'd love to detail a bit more, but maybe I'll leave that for when I get back to Australia in a few months, as I never really get the chance to sit down in an internet cafe for too long. But heres a quick list of the places I've been (sort of in chronological order), so feel free to ask me for suggestions:

Kuala Lumpur --> Cameron Highlands --> Taman Nagara (Kuala Tahan) --> Ipoh --> Penang --> Koh Phangan --> Bangkok --> Kanchanaburi --> Songklaburi --> Chiang Mai --> Pai --> Sappong --> Mae Hon Song and many smaller places inbetween, especially around Pai and the northeast, where I've been for almost the past month and a half.

I'm in Chiang Rai at the moment after an epic 400km ride from Pai to Mae Sai yesterday on a 100cc Honda Dream to extend my visa. I arrived literally right when the gate was closing, managed to get through in a rush, but had a fun little mix up this morning when I realised the Burmese border control hadn't signed my visa stamp and I hadn't filled out an entry form coming back into Thailand, so I technically slept in limbo last night. Some Thai dude tried to charge me 200B to sort it out for me, but I managed to talk him out of it. A note about the Mae Sai border crossing though: the fee to enter Burma is 500B or 10US, but they no longer accept US dollars, and they close at 6.30pm.

So I'll stick around Thailand for another week or two I think and then start heading through Laos, where I have the plan of hitching straight through to Hanoi. I have heard a few stories of it being a bit more difficult to hitch hike in Laos than it is in Thailand though, so no idea how that will turn out.

Any questions welcome.

rockarocka
Dec 8, 2003

A few questions about Vietnam though. I plan on buying a bike there (not sure which yet, I'll decide when I get there) and traveling from Hanoi through the north and then down to the south and then either back into Laos or Cambodia and then possibly back into Thailand.

1. Are there any bikes that I'll find more difficult to bring through from Vietnam?

2. What would be the best way to sort out my visa while traveling through Laos? Vietnamese Consulate or online? How long can you get the initial visa for and is it possible to extend it? I'm hoping to stick around for around 2-3 months.

3. I've heard it's difficult to get bikes into Vietnam, but is it possible and where would be the best place to search for one in Laos?

4. I wanted to buy a swag a good sleeping bag or a tent in Hanoi so I can sleep outside if I have to. Any suggestions?

I'd also love to do the trip with a couple of other people, so if anyones up for it starting late January/February, let me know! Any hints as to where I might find people in Hanoi? I guess I'll just ask around the guest houses. Suggestions for good cheap guest houses too?

Bong Goblin
Jul 2, 2009
Sounds awesome man. How annoying has the visa situation been? Expensive? I'm sure it's somewhat (or a lot) different since you're Australian but I'm curious if you've had to do runs every 15 or 30 days or what. Did you spend a night in Burma or just get stamped and head back?

I haven't heard anything about hitchhiking in the region so I'd love to see a story or guide or whatever.

What do you mean easy to get trapped? Easy to bum around with a good quality of life and therefore be too lazy to move on?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rockarocka posted:

A few questions about Vietnam though. I plan on buying a bike there (not sure which yet, I'll decide when I get there) and traveling from Hanoi through the north and then down to the south and then either back into Laos or Cambodia and then possibly back into Thailand.

1. Are there any bikes that I'll find more difficult to bring through from Vietnam?

Something flash like an XR250 might raise more eyebrows, but AFAIK the temporary import policy of any of those countries shouldn't differ from bike-to-bike. After Vietnam, Thailand would be most likely to present a problem, so you may want to read up on that.
[/quote]

quote:

2. What would be the best way to sort out my visa while traveling through Laos? Vietnamese Consulate or online? How long can you get the initial visa for and is it possible to extend it? I'm hoping to stick around for around 2-3 months.

You'll need to get it sorted out at an embassy/consulate, the visa on arrival thing you can do online through a travel agency only works at if you're arriving at an airport. Vietnam is actually pretty good about visas, I scored a three month multi-entry business visa going through a travel company, and all I had to show was $75 or whatever the fee was. Downside is you have to set your entry date in advance.

quote:

3. I've heard it's difficult to get bikes into Vietnam, but is it possible and where would be the best place to search for one in Laos?

Yes it is (especially anything over 175cc), probably not worth the bother versus starting off in Vietnam with a Vietnamese bike. In Laos, Vientiane would be your best bet, or any other major city I suppose. To find one, it would help to make contact with a local, either Lao or expat. There's not a huge selection to choose from: aside from scooters there are XR250's (expensive, hard to bring into Vietnam) and not a lot else. Minsks are relatively uncommon in Laos.

quote:

4. I wanted to buy a swag a good sleeping bag or a tent in Hanoi so I can sleep outside if I have to. Any suggestions?

Probably at whatever big market there is in town. A hammock is another option, also more compact. You can buy one with a rain fly/mosquito net. In practice you probably won't have to do much camping, but it's a nice option to have.

It depends on your timeframe and budget, but my recommendation: rent a bike in Hanoi (either a Minsk or something like an XR if your budget allows it), ride it south to Saigon, and send it back up to the shop on the train. If you want to keep riding, rent an XR250 in Cambodia (cheaper, no hassle crossing a border with a bike). In Laos, there are XR250 rentals in Pakse and Vientiane and not a lot worth seeing between the two, so you could split up rentals between southern and northern Laos.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I'm about to go diving for a week in Koh Tao and then meeting my gf in KL. What should I do on the way in southern Thailand? I have a few days to spare. Noplace that attracts fat german tourists please.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Visit Khao Sok, and stay overnight on a raft house.

Khao Sok is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited.

I'm on Koh Tao now. Make sure to book accommodation before arriving, there are hardly any rooms available now and there were a lot of desperate looking people wandering around from guest house to hotel to hostel to dive resort at 6pm today, looking for a place to stay. It's been going on for the past couple of weeks, and doesn't look like ending. We signed up 26 open water divers today, but only had 3 rooms available...

... I'm considering sub-leasing floor space in my apartment :v:

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Steve. posted:

Visit Khao Sok, and stay overnight on a raft house.

Khao Sok is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited.

I'm on Koh Tao now. Make sure to book accommodation before arriving, there are hardly any rooms available now and there were a lot of desperate looking people wandering around from guest house to hotel to hostel to dive resort at 6pm today, looking for a place to stay. It's been going on for the past couple of weeks, and doesn't look like ending. We signed up 26 open water divers today, but only had 3 rooms available...

... I'm considering sub-leasing floor space in my apartment :v:

thanks for this, ill be headed there in about a week and a half. i have accomodations booked for my dive resort ting but i was planning on just showing up a day or two early and chilling beforehand and just stumbling upon a place to stay. ill make sure to book ahead (or if theres still nothing i just wont show up early)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

ThaiVisa

Are they the ones that ban people from typing in Thai?

Either way: That loving Forum, God drat.

Magu
Dec 26, 2004
Flying from Stockholm to Kiev tomorrow (today) and flying to BKK the day after, anyone feel like meeting up for a beer on Khao san / Rambutri or something? I arrive there at like 5-6 am on the 8th. Just for the record i'm a 20 year old swedish dude...

Väl Mött !

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

fritz posted:

Are they the ones that ban people from typing in Thai?

Either way: That loving Forum, God drat.
I think they'll ban you for typing in Thai outside the Thai forum. They'll ban you for posting articles from any publication they don't have a marketing agreement with. They'll ban you for cursing. They'll ban you for making jokes in threads. They won't ban you for whinging endlessly about Thai people or for scaremongering in the visa & business sections. A typical piece of advice in the visa forum would be someone asking "What happens if I get fired and lose my work permit?" and four morons replying "You must leave Thailand IMMEDIATELY!!!" I cannot fully express my loathing for those kinds of posters, which is a lot of them.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Magu posted:

Just for the record i'm a 20 year old swedish dude...

Väl Mött !

ReindeerF likes young Swedish boys such as yourself.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

ReindeerF likes young Swedish boys such as yourself.
They're so hard to sell since 9/11!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I hate this Hong Kong weather, it's time for me to fly again!

Guess I'm going on another spur of the moment SE Asia back packing trip with a friend instead of going alone! This time I will be flying into Hanoi this Monday and work my way by rail into Hue and Ho Chi Minh, then into Pnom Pehn and Siem Reap. Finish up in Bangkok and meet with some goons and be back in Hong Kong on the 27th January just before Chinese New Year.

One thing I'm not so sure is the weather in Northern Vietnam. Hong Kong is very very cold without heat and being humid and all, and apparently Hanoi is the same. So a long sleeve shirt, wind breaker and a few packs of chemical warmers should do the trick. If all else fails I guess I can always buy some. Where does the weather start to be more temperate? Hue, Na Trang?

And this time I need to pack even lighter because of the tighter schedule. Oh I miss shooting slides :( Well at least I can post the 2 trips in 1 trip report post.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Wow, finally read the entire 92 pages from the original thread and the 39 here, thanks to all of the frequent contributors for a fascinating read, will be back with some questions shortly (mostly pertaining to how to get around the fact my other half won't slum it at all).

Shah Rukh Khan
Dec 23, 2008
Vietnam is kinda chilly right now, even in Nha Trang. Bring a sweater and long pants. Ho Chi Minh is hot as balls though but that's kind of par for the course. Let me know if you want to grab a beer or something when you're passing through HCMC.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shah Rukh Khan posted:

Vietnam is kinda chilly right now, even in Nha Trang. Bring a sweater and long pants. Ho Chi Minh is hot as balls though but that's kind of par for the course. Let me know if you want to grab a beer or something when you're passing through HCMC.

Thanks! It would be awesome to meet up in HCMC. I'm thinking of bringing a sweater, jeans, and a shirt anyways. But will pack an extra long sleeve shirt since I will be in hue and hanoi too.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Saw a huge fuckoff sea turtle diving in Koh Tao today (twin peaks). This is the life my friends.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

dancehall posted:

Saw a huge fuckoff sea turtle diving in Koh Tao today (twin peaks). This is the life my friends.

Who are you diving with? I'm diving with Big Blue. I was bored so I did a couple of fun dives today att White Rock and Twins (I have something like 12 dives at each), but no turtle for me - although at White Rock I did encounter the most angry trigger fish I've ever found... at both descent and ascent. My profile is all over the place.

I've missed turtles, whale sharks, manta rays, and bull sharks this trip. It sucks :(

I start Intro Tech tomorrow :woop:

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

I'm at Crystal, saw the turtle at Twins. I'm starting AOW in about 5 minutes, woop woop

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'm interested in going to Vietnam and Cambodia around the Lunar New Year holiday, starting ~ Jan 22 and ending Feb 5. Basically, I really want to visit Angkor Wat, and I plan to meet a Vietnamese-American friend and his family in HCMC for the holiday (Feb 2-4), and I can't take off the week after the holiday. Is my current plan practical? In particular, I'm not sure just how much time the train travel will take. I've set aside full days for the travel time, getting into the hotel, getting settled, and maybe see one or two minor things or just rest a bit.

Jan 22 - Fly to Phnom Penh from Incheon (where I live now)
Jan 23+24 - PP stuff, Angkor Wat
Jan 25 - Train/bus to HCMC
Jan 26 - Train north to Hue
Jan 27-29 - See sights in and around Hue. I'd especially like to do a day trip to one/some of the former military bases near there.
Jan 30 - Train to Hanoi
Jan 31 - See Hanoi
Feb 1 - Train back to HCMC
Feb 2-4 - HCMC
Feb 5 - Fly back to Incheon, Korea

I understand that lot's of people will be traveling on/around the holiday. Could I buy all the train tickets needed when I first arrive in HCMC?

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
I would consider adjusting the schedule so that you fly into Hanoi and work your way down to HCMC and over to Siem Reap instead of flying into PP, I think it would cut out some unnecessary travel. Hanoi and HCMC aren't exactly close (roughly the length from Orlando to NYC, a good 18 hour drive on good road conditions), and traveling the length of the country once instead of twice would save a lot of time.

It's about a 5 or 6 hour ride from PP to SR, and I think about the same to HCMC, maybe more, I forget. You could in theory travel from PP to SR on day 1, hit up Angkor etc from sunset onwards on Day 2, and head back to PP/onwards to HCMC that afternoon, but I'd give at least an extra day in SR to see more and to not have to sit on a bus for 12+ hours straight. Head back to PP maybe that night if you feel like it, but I wouldn't head to HCMC right away if I were you, and really, not sure if you would be able to anyway, unless you took a taxi.

kalicki fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 11, 2011

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Jan 22 - Fly to Phnom Penh from Incheon (where I live now)
Jan 23+24 - PP stuff, Angkor Wat
Jan 25 - Train/bus to HCMC
Jan 26 - Train north to Hue
Jan 27-29 - See sights in and around Hue. I'd especially like to do a day trip to one/some of the former military bases near there.
Jan 30 - Train to Hanoi
Jan 31 - See Hanoi
Feb 1 - Train back to HCMC
Feb 2-4 - HCMC
Feb 5 - Fly back to Incheon, Korea

I understand that lot's of people will be traveling on/around the holiday. Could I buy all the train tickets needed when I first arrive in HCMC?

Defenitely skip the train ride, just fly from HCMC to Hanoi and back. Best for you would probably be PP/Angkor -> Train/Boat/Plane to HCMC. See HCMC. Maybe go to the Cu Chi tunnels(half day trip). If you are interested in military based you should really, really the the "War remnants" museum in HCMC (especially the "Requiem" photo exhibition).

Then fly to Hanoi, see Hanoi for one day, go to Ha Long bay for 2 days/1 night, take train to Hue and fly back to HCMC from there.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I am in Ko Phangan, en route to Ko Tao tomorrow morning. But rather than seeing more beaches and islands after Ko Tao, I am considering heading back Bangkok Friday night and catching a Saturday flight to Phnom Penh. I would take a bus up to Siem Reap Saturday night, then back down to Phnom Penh Wednesday for an afternoon flight to Bangkok before my return flight to the US on Sunday.

Is this reasonable/doable/sane? The (fast talking) travel agents on Phangan assure me there are no visa issues, and that part can be handled at the airport. Air Asia has reasonable prices for the trip. Since I haven't traveled around this part of the world before, I just want to make sure that I'm not missing or forgetting anything, and that there aren't any Cambodia specific issues I'm overlooking.

I'll be able to get back online some time tomorrow after getting to Ko Tao, any help or advice would be appreciated as I am more or less ignorant about a lot of this.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
Yes theres no issues with Visas, you get one at the airport, just have a couple of passport photos ready.

Packeteer
Jan 25, 2004

slack 4 lyfe

dwoloz posted:

My last post in the blog has some recommendations I thought useful and as already stated, being careful of scams is unfortunately necessary, I got caught up in some weird "blackjack" scam in Kuala Lumpur

I got done by this scam in Hanoi last year. It was almost an exact replica of what you describe.

By the time I woke up and realised what was going on, I'd already lost several thousand.

It really soured my enjoyment of Vietnam. People in the south were so much friendlier and didn't take advantage. Anyway, lesson learned the hard way

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

dancehall posted:

I'm at Crystal, saw the turtle at Twins. I'm starting AOW in about 5 minutes, woop woop

Awesome. I've seen the Crystal boat around a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if we've dived in the same place at the same time :)

I'm doing Chumphon and Green Rock to Red Rock tomorrow, so if you're there and you see a group of five dudes in twin tanks with three dudes being harassed by the other two, say hi! The three of us are fairly experienced but we look and feel like complete rookies in tech gear. One of the guys is a divemaster with about 120 dives, and today he used his hands to swim. Repeatedly. It's like open water all over again, it's crazy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

the_cow_fan posted:

Yes theres no issues with Visas, you get one at the airport, just have a couple of passport photos ready.
On that note, briefly, the Cambodians are used to us turning up without photos, so there's like a $1 (maybe $2?) surcharge or something if you won't have one. I have no idea what they do, but I assume they just scan your passport photo or something because they don't take a photo of you or anything, heh. Anyway, yeah, if you get there without photos don't sweat it, they're not hardasses.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

dancehall posted:

nice, I'll be at Crystal on the 18th for open water. tis the season i guess

also i am completely new to this so i will be the flailing around guy

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello I'm in Hanoi and the weather is very cold and chilly forth past 2 days :( it is very vibrant and hopefully hue will have nicer weather. A fleece, windbreaker and undershirts at night is still cold..

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I keep forgetting to post my favorite menu item of all time. Took another shot the other day.

God bless Thailand.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOOSE BOWELS
Hey, one of the regulars in here highly recommended the TEFL training from TEFL International (https://www.tefllife.com) and I was thinking about having that as a backup plan once I run through all my money on hookers and blow or something. I see that they offer courses in both Ban Phe and Phukket and was wondering which location you people who have been there would suggest - I can see pros and cons for them both but don't really know how to weight them since I've not experienced them myself.

From what I gather Phukket is definitely more of a touristy place but I'm sure (like anywhere) once you get a bit out of town that probably dies down and I imagine there's some nice beaches. Plus, I'd like to go diving off Ko Tao or the like and Phukket would seemingly put me halfway there.

Upshot to Ban Phe seems to be that it's not really a tourist destination (c/d?) and would probably be a bit cheaper as well as quieter and gives the option of going to Bangkok on the weekends as well as being nearby to Pattaya, which I gather has all the same (un)attractions as Phukket, meaning I could still get a taste of hippie backpackers and German sex tourists if I were so inclined.

Anyway, that's just what I've gathered from checking out those places on WikiTravel and whatnot but I would love to get input from those who have been. For what it's worth, I will probably be doing this in Feb/March/April (hot season) but I could be talked into putting it off a couple months if presented with a good reason.

A bit about me if it helps: I'm a 26 year old guy traveling alone with a fair amount of traveling experience but never in Asia. I'm kind of done with the club scene but also wouldn't want to spend the entire month isolated (it's a four week course). I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to be in the middle of a loud 24/7 party but I'm not a gooney goon who plans on sitting indoors the entire time - I'd definitely like the option to go out carousing with other travelers and locals when the mood strikes.

Speaking of which, I don't have my dates nailed down (need to get a hold of F^2 and book some tickets) but I'm looking at arriving in the next few weeks and would definitely like to get some sweet goon lovin' in while I'm there but I'll probably make another post (or several) as I get my dates nailed down and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You'd have more Western exposure in Phuket. Ban Phe is right across from Samet, which is a prettier, more laid back island with some Western exposure, but not as overbuilt. It's kind of a weird tossup. Ban Phe would DEFINITELY be about 1000x less expensive and there's still plenty to do and it's easy to get around from because it's the ferry port for Koh Samet.