Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I recently rooted my HTC Hero (I'm in the UK, if that matters, as I think it has a different name here)

I've installed Android Tether, and from the phone, it appears to be working. When I connect to the ad hoc network, the upload and download stats do change slightly, but neither my laptop or iPod seem to be able to use the internet when connected to the phone. And the phone is able to connect to the internet

Any ideas? I've not done anything else to the phone after rooting it - it's running firmware 2.1-update1, if that helps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've been reading through the Desire Z docs on XDA to familiarize myself with the device since, if all goes according to plan, I'll be getting one tonight. Is it safe to assume that everything also applies to the Bell Desire Z (NAM frequencies)? I ask because the Bell Galaxy S was definitely different than the international Galaxy S, much to my shagrin. This will be my first HTC phone, so I'm still not familiar with how they operate.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I'm going from one ROM to another and I want to absolutely nuke everything on my phone. If I wipe the cache and data through Clockwork and format my internal storage/SD card (one and the same on the Nexus S), is there any other residual data on my device that I can delete?

Also, is there a way to prevent Google from restoring my apps when I flash a new ROM? I have the option to backup disabled but when I flashed CM7 and then another ROM, it restored apps both times.

Edit: vv Thanks. vv

Protokoll fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 9, 2011

ecolips
Dec 24, 2005
Only text
I bought my Evo on November 25th, and I am brand new to this rooting idea. Do I qualify for the easy one click solution rooting, or the much more convoluted process? Or...how can I tell which Evo I have for rooting purposes?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Protokoll posted:

I'm going from one ROM to another and I want to absolutely nuke everything on my phone. If I wipe the cache and data through Clockwork and format my internal storage/SD card (one and the same on the Nexus S), is there any other residual data on my device that I can delete?

The ROM install scripts should handle wiping the other partitions (/boot and /system being the important ones).

Protokoll posted:

Also, is there a way to prevent Google from restoring my apps when I flash a new ROM? I have the option to backup disabled but when I flashed CM7 and then another ROM, it restored apps both times.

Not sure if this works on the S, but on most vanilla Android phones, you can skip the initial setup wizard (the one with the big green Android in the middle of the screen) by tapping the four corners of the screen in a clockwise fashion, starting from the upper left:

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/10/tip-how-to-bypass-android-activation-screen-on-motorola-droid/

If you go into Settings:Accounts and add your Google account after that, it shouldn't download your apps that time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ecolips posted:

I bought my Evo on November 25th, and I am brand new to this rooting idea. Do I qualify for the easy one click solution rooting, or the much more convoluted process? Or...how can I tell which Evo I have for rooting purposes?

UnrEVOked updated a while ago, so the one click method should work for you. You bought a EVO around the same time I did so you should have a 0004 EVO. Works with UnrEVOked just fine.

ecolips
Dec 24, 2005
Only text

Skeezy posted:

UnrEVOked updated a while ago, so the one click method should work for you. You bought a EVO around the same time I did so you should have a 0004 EVO. Works with UnrEVOked just fine.

Thank you very much, Skeezy. I hope to root tonight after work. What fun.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ecolips posted:

Thank you very much, Skeezy. I hope to root tonight after work. What fun.

Have fun with it buddy :3:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

ZShakespeare posted:

I've been reading through the Desire Z docs on XDA to familiarize myself with the device since, if all goes according to plan, I'll be getting one tonight. Is it safe to assume that everything also applies to the Bell Desire Z (NAM frequencies)? I ask because the Bell Galaxy S was definitely different than the international Galaxy S, much to my shagrin. This will be my first HTC phone, so I'm still not familiar with how they operate.

Yep, same applies to the Bell Desire Z. That's the phone I have and rooting was pretty easy.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Regarding the Evo, it looks like Amon Ra's recovery has gotten another small update to 2.2.1. Now you can select what you want to include in your backup, so you're not wasting space by backing up your cache or whatever.

Arcarsenal
Jun 15, 2003

Thanks for the G2 ROM and kernel advice. Tried flashing MIUI's latest but I kept running into the launcher force closing, even after a few wipes and reflashes. I think launcher.apk is borked somehow. On Enomther's G2 ROM now, and going to test it for a few days. Really wanted to try MIUI because what I saw looked sweet.

Might just flash it on my N1 to mess around while I wait for the G2 port to get fixed. I know there are a few different mutations of MIUI available for the N1; anyone have any recommendations on the best one at the moment?

Edit: Flashed the latest stock MIUI from their forums. Very impressive stuff. Lots of options to dig through and really polished.

Arcarsenal fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 9, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Arcarsenal posted:

Thanks for the G2 ROM and kernel advice. Tried flashing MIUI's latest but I kept running into the launcher force closing, even after a few wipes and reflashes. I think launcher.apk is borked somehow. On Enomther's G2 ROM now, and going to test it for a few days. Really wanted to try MIUI because what I saw looked sweet.

Might just flash it on my N1 to mess around while I wait for the G2 port to get fixed. I know there are a few different mutations of MIUI available for the N1; anyone have any recommendations on the best one at the moment?

Edit: Flashed the latest stock MIUI from their forums. Very impressive stuff. Lots of options to dig through and really polished.

Just flash the MIUI-Dev roms, they're easily the best.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been trying for the last few hours to get my mytouch 4g rooted successfully. It'll temp root, but it never sets s=off. I followed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=834225 to the letter for the terminal version, and it seems to have not worked. Anyone know what I need to do to get perm root if those steps don't work?

Binary
May 21, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You probably can't run gfree from the sdcard if it's mounted noexec. You can move it to /data, but you'll need to use "busybox mv" if you have busybox installed, or you can do "cat /sdcard/gfree > /data/local/gfree"--you'll just have to chmod it first before trying to run it as your instructions indicate.

Yeah, toolbox is a bit lame. The "mv" command only does a rename, which doesn't work when trying to move to a different file system. And it lacks a "cp" command entirely.

Busybox did the trick. Why can't the mv command move between file systems?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I am absolutely loving having an HTC phone. I have finally seen why everyone loves CM so much. I'm going to give MIUI a shot tonight.

Jazz Metal
Oct 23, 2008
Droid 2, rooted, currently stock ROM.

I've been rooted and loving around for a bit now, and I'm just starting to get into some custom ROMs. Despite slim pickings for Droid 2 ROMs, I flashed Fission (2.5.x or something like that), and I like it so far. A few questions: I like the Droid 2 framework-res over the vanilla one in Fission, and I've Metamorphed some changes that I like. Could I adb pull my previous framework (by restoring my stock backup) and push it into Fission with no problems? If not, will my previous Metamorph themes take to the new ROM correctly, or will I have to modify them somehow?

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

I just got a Motorola Flipside on AT&T, and I really want to root the phone to get rid of the Blur apps. However, I can't sideload apps, and I haven't been able to find a rooting method that works without loading something onto the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Must Love Dogs posted:

I just got a Motorola Flipside on AT&T, and I really want to root the phone to get rid of the Blur apps. However, I can't sideload apps, and I haven't been able to find a rooting method that works without loading something onto the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can use the Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine to install non-Market apps on gimped AT&T devices.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sideload-android-apps-all-you-want-sideload-wonder-machine

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Binary posted:

Busybox did the trick. Why can't the mv command move between file systems?
Internally, "mv" is implemented using Linux's "rename" function which has very specific behavior. Namely, it keeps the data blocks for a file in the same location, just (atomically) changes the file path. On most file systems, this means you can change the location of a file, but it must remain on the same mounted file system.

Busybox's and Coreutils's (desktop Linux) mv has a fallback when rename doesn't work, it copies the file and deletes the original. Toolbox's mv doesn't have this fallback, it only tries a rename and if that doesn't work, bails.

In general, Android system tools are developed for minimum functionality. It's not exactly clear why this is, other than folks rarely use them directly and those that do typically have access to Busybox anyways.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I want to install the stock muiu rom on my N1. I currently have the latest Cyanogen mod.

Do I download this file: http://miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?2060-MIUI-1.1.7-N1-DEODEXED-(Chinese)

and then get this file: http://miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?2070-Miui-1.1.7-n1-language-pack-1d

Then do I just flash them both?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm a new owner of a Samsung Vibrant and am in the process of modding it. It's rooted, ROMed (Nero v3 with Voodoo), but I don't know how to tell what filesystem my phone is on. I downloaded and ran the Voodoo stable 5.0 update.zip, but it doesn't work on some phones and the way to tell is checking the filesystem type to see if it is RDS or ext4. I think I've also tried the Voodoo lagfix-only 3.0 update.zip on the bottom of that linked page, but again, had no way of checking to be sure and didn't see a performance upgrade.

Ashex was helping me in the other thread, thanks man. I'm not learning from scratch (heavily modded a Sony ericsson 810i a few years ago), but all the tools and methods have changed so it's a lot different. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.

Edit: Aaaannd here come the questions. I think the ROM I'm using isn't right for my phone. Just found out the speaker on the front (not the music/speakerphone speaker) doesn't work during calls, and the volume rocker switch on the side is reversed (push up for reduced volume and vice vera). So, any recommended Vibrant ROMs?

Edit2: I think I'm using Nero 3 TouchWiz Edition w/ Voodoo right now, might give the non touchwiz version a go. Does this mean all my programs and settings will be wiped or is that what titanium backup backs up and restores?

CloFan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 10, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jewce posted:

I want to install the stock muiu rom on my N1. I currently have the latest Cyanogen mod.

Do I download this file: http://miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?2060-MIUI-1.1.7-N1-DEODEXED-(Chinese)

and then get this file: http://miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?2070-Miui-1.1.7-n1-language-pack-1d

Then do I just flash them both?

Yes. In that order.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

CloFan posted:

I'm a new owner of a Samsung Vibrant and am in the process of modding it. It's rooted, ROMed (Nero v3 with Voodoo), but I don't know how to tell what filesystem my phone is on. I downloaded and ran the Voodoo stable 5.0 update.zip, but it doesn't work on some phones and the way to tell is checking the filesystem type to see if it is RDS or ext4. I think I've also tried the Voodoo lagfix-only 3.0 update.zip on the bottom of that linked page, but again, had no way of checking to be sure and didn't see a performance upgrade.

Ashex was helping me in the other thread, thanks man. I'm not learning from scratch (heavily modded a Sony ericsson 810i a few years ago), but all the tools and methods have changed so it's a lot different. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.

Edit: Aaaannd here come the questions. I think the ROM I'm using isn't right for my phone. Just found out the speaker on the front (not the music/speakerphone speaker) doesn't work during calls, and the volume rocker switch on the side is reversed (push up for reduced volume and vice vera). So, any recommended Vibrant ROMs?

Edit2: I think I'm using Nero 3 TouchWiz Edition w/ Voodoo right now, might give the non touchwiz version a go. Does this mean all my programs and settings will be wiped or is that what titanium backup backs up and restores?

Hello again! It sounds like you are using one of the roms ported from the Captivate/i9000 as those do have the problem of reversed volume key.

I would recommend one of the roms from Eugene of TouchWhiskey if you want a modded rom, otherwise just flash a stock rom, remove the bloat and boot sounds then flash the stock kernel with voodoo (grab it here.

If you want to change Roms, try out Axura. I haven't used it myself but the dev maintains a proper changelog which is better then the other Rom builders.

On my Vibrant I was running Stock JL5 + Stock kernel w/Voodoo beta5. One thing to keep in mind is if a Rom advertises improved battery life most of the time it's because they dropped the stock theme and turned it all black (advantage of AMOLED).

As far as modding the Vibrant, get 7zip as if you plan to roll your or tars/zips for flashing it will work well. Odin is used to flash roms/kernels (for a kernel take zImage and stick it in a tar by itself then load it in Odin with the 512 pit file).

Nandroid is good for backing up Roms but honestly I prefer to use Titanium Backup as majority of the time I lose track of nandroid backups and just restore all my settings/apps with Titanium.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 11, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

After hearing so much about it, I figured I would put MIUI on my Evo.

First thoughts are that it's pretty. Themes are awesome and something I wish stock did.

A few questions:
Is there a way to quickly and easily re-organize your apps to be in alphabetical order? Or by most used? Or do I have to do it by hand?

Any tips or tricks from you guys who have been using it for a while?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ConfusedUs posted:

After hearing so much about it, I figured I would put MIUI on my Evo.

First thoughts are that it's pretty. Themes are awesome and something I wish stock did.

A few questions:
Is there a way to quickly and easily re-organize your apps to be in alphabetical order? Or by most used? Or do I have to do it by hand?

Any tips or tricks from you guys who have been using it for a while?

No quick organization, use an alternate launcher for that.

Tips and tricks are "It's fairly usable" - I think I've linked a secret code to make some changes before, but I honestly can't think of anything that needs to be done to it.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I flashed MIUI and now I am getting a message that android.process.acore has stopped working.

I searched online a bit and also on the dev forums, but didn't see anything. What's happening?

Edit: I get it repeatedly and cant figure out what is doing it. I'm on an N1 if that matters.

Double Edit: Duh, I forgot to wipe first. Problem solved. Any idea what was causing it though?

Jewce fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 11, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jewce posted:

I flashed MIUI and now I am getting a message that android.process.acore has stopped working.

I searched online a bit and also on the dev forums, but didn't see anything. What's happening?

Edit: I get it repeatedly and cant figure out what is doing it. I'm on an N1 if that matters.

Wipe and reflash.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Casao posted:

Wipe and reflash.

The error came back when I used titanium backup to restore my apps. Do I have to reinstall everything one by one? I really like the look of muiu, but I'm wondering what kinds of things I should know about now that it is installed. Does Titanium backup work with it?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jewce posted:

The error came back when I used titanium backup to restore my apps. Do I have to reinstall everything one by one? I really like the look of muiu, but I'm wondering what kinds of things I should know about now that it is installed. Does Titanium backup work with it?

It works, but it sounds like you're restoring system data.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I had the same thing happen to me today after half a day of using my phone. acore force closing. I just restored my most recent nandroid and it seems to be stable now.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
MIUI broke the hell out of my SMS apps, be it default MIUI or Handcent. Most messages I tried to send were unable to be delivered. It was a big enough problem I had to switch back to Fresh tonight.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
There's a poo poo ton of new nightlies out for CM tonight. I've gotta assume that they're CM7/Gingerbread, and I know that they said the camera issues were fixed. But does anyone know if the network location issues have been worked out?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

According to rom manager the cm nightly is for cm6 (incredible) but I didn't search RM for anything else.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, the newest nightlies are still CM6.1.x, sounds like they might be the last until the CM7 ones hit, but who knows.

BLOG THAT SHIT
Sep 27, 2006

Nothing to see here.
Ok, I'm lost again. I've been having problems with the usb connection, its been loose and either not charging or charging really slowly. I was using Fresh, but I wanted to revert back to stock to bring it to the Sprint store. I tried following instructions online to use the RUU file, but now I'm stuck at the white screen with the three Androids skateboarding at the bottom with the options for fastboot, recovery, clear storage, etc.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

MIUI broke the hell out of my SMS apps, be it default MIUI or Handcent. Most messages I tried to send were unable to be delivered. It was a big enough problem I had to switch back to Fresh tonight.

I spotted that the phonebook doesn't automatically add a + to the start of phone numbers if it isn't there already, unlike stock. In all cases I saw, it was a problem with my contacts rather than the app.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I wish there were a way to tie google voice into all the cool features that the stock messaging app has in Miui.

Specifically, I would love to have pop ups and access from the lock screen. It feels silly to be using google voice when the stock app is just integrated so much better. I wish I could just attach my google voice number to the stock messaging app.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My rooted EVO is telling me that I'm out of room on the internal storage. How do I set Android to automatically download everything to the SD card? Also, how do I find the download files on the internal storage to clear it?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

two_beer_bishes posted:

My rooted EVO is telling me that I'm out of room on the internal storage. How do I set Android to automatically download everything to the SD card? Also, how do I find the download files on the internal storage to clear it?
Appbrain has a good interface to tell you which apps are installed on phone storage or SD storage, and will give you the option to move them. Probably a good place to start.

Also, depending on your ROM's options, you might be able to specify the installation location, whether it's the app default, phone, or SD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Mogomra posted:

There's a poo poo ton of new nightlies out for CM tonight. I've gotta assume that they're CM7/Gingerbread, and I know that they said the camera issues were fixed. But does anyone know if the network location issues have been worked out?

I'm running a CM7/Gingerbread nightly on my Incredible right now, and the camera, GPS, and network location all work great.

I guess it's not officially a nightly yet maybe? Sort of a pre-build or something. I don't know.