Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Quick question, Is it possible to use a standard credit/debit card to pay for purchases through Paypal, or does the money have to be transferred directly into the Paypal account? I'm looking to pick up a few things on Ebay and SA-Mart but it would be kind of annoying to transfer money to Paypal every time.

I linked my debit card's checking account to Paypal, so every time that I pay using Paypal it's the equivalent of using my debit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Quick question, Is it possible to use a standard credit/debit card to pay for purchases through Paypal, or does the money have to be transferred directly into the Paypal account? I'm looking to pick up a few things on Ebay and SA-Mart but it would be kind of annoying to transfer money to Paypal every time.

I think so yes. This was how it was when I set up my paypal account originally. I only had to connect it to my bank account when I began selling things and needed to receive money. This was many years ago though. Why not just go and start a paypal account and see what options you are given during registration?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'd like to see where and how many times a word's been mentioned in a single, multi-page thread. Without SA search or anything, how would I go about that? Using Google?

e.g. I want to see how often someone says 'welp' itt http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

I'd like to see where and how many times a word's been mentioned in a single, multi-page thread. Without SA search or anything, how would I go about that? Using Google?

e.g. I want to see how often someone says 'welp' itt http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753

Without tools known to me for this purpose, I would recommend a simple script that gets a page, greps for "whelp" and then loops to increment the page number value in the GET request.

code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use HTTP::Request;
use HTTP::Response;
use LWP::Simple;
use LWP::UserAgent;

#default phrase to look for
my $goonPhrase = "welp";
my $URL = "http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753&pagenumber=";

printf("Searching FBI database for $goonPhrase\n");

my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new();
$ua->timeout(60);

for ($i = 1; $i < 50; $i++) {
my $uaRequest = HTTP::Request->new(GET => "$URL" + "$i");
my $uaResponse = $ua->request($uaRequest);

if ($uaResponse->is_error()) {
        printf("Formatting drive C: %s", $uaResponse->status_line);
        die;
}

my $pageContents = $uaResponse->content();
my @pageLines = split(/\n/, $pageContents);

foreach my $line (@pageLines) {
        if ($line =~ /$goonPhrase/) {
              #magic happens here, count your phrases, do whatever
              #per-line count basis, multiple phrases same line count as 1
        }
}
}

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks! Where should I input this code?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks! Where should I input this code?

Well, you could use a Perl interpreter, but do you have an old laserdisc player by chance?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Afraid not. What about Google - could an in-thread search be performed there?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

Afraid not. What about Google - could an in-thread search be performed there?

What about a hatchback and a 12v->240v adapter?

I think that unless someone has a tool that does exactly what you need, you should go find a CS undergrad student and pay him $20 to flesh out the script I gave you and set it up to run for you, it'll be fine on either windows or linux. It gets to be a real headache to explain the whole process from scratch to someone who has no idea already is all. Google's tools require more setup and knowledge to maximally use is my understanding.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

I have Restless Leg Syndrome, and have had it for as long as I can remember. I don't think you have to worry about offending anyone since it's a bit of a :wtc: medical condition.
Holy poo poo I guess I've had this a few times but never knew it was A Thing. Thanks, thread!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Breath Ray posted:

If you can't work with perl, the easiest way for you to do it without any programming is to 1) paste all the text from the thread into a text editor, and 2) search-and-replace for welp, which should return something like "welp has been replaced 31 times". As for 1), you can go through all 31 pages, and copy/paste the text into Word, then hit CTL+H, type in the welp you want to find and enter welp as its replacement, then hit Replace All.

Copy/pasting 31 pages is a pain in the rear end -- I have an app that downloads entire threads and merges all the pages into a single file, I have no idea where I got it from. I have it installed as "SA single thread read SinglePT_win32", but I can't find the installation files anywhere. Anyone have a lead on this?

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
does the email protocol or service or whatever allow someone to get the name associated with an email without having that person reply to them? ie, can I somehow query a hotmail/gmail acocunt for the name associated with it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Anyone have a replacement for Gmail Manager for hadling multiple Gmail Addresses for Firefox?

Google changed something, which broke the extension, and the extension seems to have been abandoned a while back.

I use WebMail Notifier and have Google set up to allow signing in to multiple Google Accounts at once.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Where can I find an online art history site with big pictures? Something to lead me through the basic concepts and chronology

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

fishmech posted:

I use WebMail Notifier and have Google set up to allow signing in to multiple Google Accounts at once.

First part I get. Thanks for the tip.

The second part, help? How do I set up Google to allow for that?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Where did the relationship thread go off to? This Goon needs some help courting a fine young woman. (:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Enigma89 posted:

Where did the relationship thread go off to? This Goon needs some help courting a fine young woman. (:

Threads about dating and relationships are found in the E/N Bullshit subforum.

Threads about PUA specifically are banned because they attracted creeps and drama.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

First part I get. Thanks for the tip.

The second part, help? How do I set up Google to allow for that?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=69570

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

dokmo posted:

Copy/pasting 31 pages is a pain in the rear end -- I have an app that downloads entire threads and merges all the pages into a single file, I have no idea where I got it from. I have it installed as "SA single thread read SinglePT_win32", but I can't find the installation files anywhere. Anyone have a lead on this?

Baldurk has a thread grabber for archiving Let's Plays, shoot him a message maybe?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I have a really tall ceiling just in my entryway, maybe 20ish to 25ish feet? It's got some cobwebs in it, and I don't really know how to get them down. No broomstick is even remotely long enough and I can't seem to chuck a dust rag up high enough to get them down. I'm thinking about either attaching the dust rag to a tennis ball or a helium balloon? Is there a better idea?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
How about something like this, chachu?

Barring that, a ladder and regular duster...

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Fire In The Disco posted:

How about something like this, chachu?

Barring that, a ladder and regular duster...

Yep, a telescoping duster. $50 seems crazy though. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and I'm confident you can get one for much cheaper.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Yeah, you can probably rig one yourself too, if you're crafty.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, looks like I'm gonna have to buy something in order to get it done. I was trying to avoid that, but I'm just sick of looking at these drat cobwebs. Thanks!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
If you rig up some tennis ball or helium balloon contraption make sure you video it and share it here. The mental image made me laugh.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

If you rig up some tennis ball or helium balloon contraption make sure you video it and share it here. The mental image made me laugh.

A friend suggested I take my potato cannon and stuff a dust rag into it, then fire it at the cobwebs and film and youtube the resulting disaster.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
You have good friends.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

chachu posted:

A friend suggested I take my potato cannon and stuff a dust rag into it, then fire it at the cobwebs and film and youtube the resulting disaster.

DO IT

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I have a pancake air compressor for various needs (pneumatic tools for DIY stuff mostly) but it gets a majority of its use cleaning away cobwebs and blowing the poo poo out of the inside of our computer cases. Think canned air times about 78,000. Well worth looking into as a tool investment if you're into DIY or can justify other woodworking/home improvement needs. You can get blowgun nozzles that are something ridiculous like 4 feet in length, too.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Duct tape some cheap broomhandles together?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

Yep, a telescoping duster. $50 seems crazy though. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and I'm confident you can get one for much cheaper.

As you said, Home Depot has screw in extensions for $10.00 or so. Useful for all sort of things. I had a couple of telescoping extension I used to paint boats, Vans, etc, that were also useful for grabbing things out of crawl spaces, and changing light bulbs in 25' celiings.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks again. I will try this out.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
This is really stupid, but....

There was a game I've played online a lot and I can't remember it's name. You and your competition are given a set of numbered blocks to stack in numerical order, swapping turns as to who gets the free block. I could swear it had "Tower" in the title, but you would not believe how many tower defense games are out there.

I just need the title? Help?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

That70sHeidi posted:

This is really stupid, but....

There was a game I've played online a lot and I can't remember it's name. You and your competition are given a set of numbered blocks to stack in numerical order, swapping turns as to who gets the free block. I could swear it had "Tower" in the title, but you would not believe how many tower defense games are out there.

I just need the title? Help?
Tower Blaster

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I linked my debit card's checking account to Paypal, so every time that I pay using Paypal it's the equivalent of using my debit card.

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking to do. Thanks!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Zegnar posted:

Where can I find an online art history site with big pictures? Something to lead me through the basic concepts and chronology

No chronology/theory but lots and lots of images of paintings sorted by period and artist can be found at the artchive. If you can't find anything better, you could always use wikipedia for the chronology and theory part of it and this for the pictures.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
Where the heck can I get little packets of mustard and mayo? I've checked most local fast food restaurants for the thievery option, and none seem to have them. I've checked King Soopers and Safeway, Costco and Sams, and none of them have them either. Is ordering online my only option?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Is there a restaurant supply store in your area? The one near me carries condiment packets as well as awesome cookware and bakeware.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Aluminum Record posted:

Where the heck can I get little packets of mustard and mayo? I've checked most local fast food restaurants for the thievery option, and none seem to have them. I've checked King Soopers and Safeway, Costco and Sams, and none of them have them either. Is ordering online my only option?

Check gas stations/convenience stores. Virtually every one I've been to that sells hot dogs or has a freezer section with sandwiches etc., has a counter with a big rack of condiments in packets.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Mario posted:

Tower Blaster

Blessings upon you!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Aluminum Record posted:

Costco must have been temporarily out. I have bought mayo and mustard like that many times there.

Most restaurants do not use Mayo in packets, but some do, so they have it.