Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Curious if anyone knows of any conflict between steam, d3doverrider and battle.net? I m prone to get disconnected from battle.net when playing SC2. I ve got all the right ports forwarded, and after I m disconnected I can quit; and log back in straight away. I m gonna do some tweaking around later but if anyone knows for sure would be a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
The Civ 5 demo keeps crashing on me whether or not I skip the intro movie after the Steam overlay pops up with a message and after that the demo locks up. I'm downloading the Civ 4 BTS demo right now though so I'll give that a try. Why don't they sell the Civ 4 complete edition on Steam or did I miss it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

spasticColon posted:

The Civ 5 demo keeps crashing on me whether or not I skip the intro movie after the Steam overlay pops up with a message and after that the demo locks up. I'm downloading the Civ 4 BTS demo right now though so I'll give that a try. Why don't they sell the Civ 4 complete edition on Steam or did I miss it?

They do:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4323/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

spasticColon posted:

Why don't they sell the Civ 4 complete edition on Steam or did I miss it?

It's... it's right on the BTS page. It's $30. Although the Amazon link I posted earlier has it for around $10.

efb

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

..btt posted:

It checksums the non-executable part of the exe? Useful. I think there are a few utilities that set the affinity on execution - try googling "RunFirst", though that may not work either if you have to use a launcher.

Looks like RunFirst only does one core. I think I'll just Alt-Tab(No windowed mode, so I can't just do that) instead of take the performance hit. This is a fun game, but dear god is the engine a total piece of utter poo poo.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
:siren: UNANTICIPATED RELEASES THIS PAST WEEK :siren:

(Chapter 2)

:siren: RELEASING THIS WEEK :siren:

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Chortles posted:

I hear EVGA's lifetime warranty replacement/upgrade policy makes them THE best brand for NVIDIA. (If going with ATI Radeon, go do whatever.)

I'm just making use of that now (well the EU equivalent, a 10 year warranty). My 4 year old 8800GTS 512 recently started displaying artifacts on the screen, even during boot. I returned it via their RMA process and EVGA are just about to ship me a replacement. It'll be interesting to see what they're going to replace it with. I'm hoping It'll be something better, since it's an old card that's not being manufactured any more.

Very good customer service on EVGA's part.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

So this was released in Germany only on PC and 360 in '09, in the UK only on PS3 in '10, and will be released in the US on all 3 next week? That's kinda weird. The plot sounds like it'll be terrible if played straight, but awesome if done up all B-movie style, anyone know which they went with?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So this was released in Germany only on PC and 360 in '09, in the UK only on PS3 in '10, and will be released in the US on all 3 next week? That's kinda weird. The plot sounds like it'll be terrible if played straight, but awesome if done up all B-movie style, anyone know which they went with?

Here's some reviews of the German version collected back in '09. They're generally favorable, though the game seems to suffer from some technical issues that they've hopefully polished in the meantime.

All in all, looks pretty promising. I just hope it comes to Steam :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have a 360 pad plugged into my PC, which works great for most things, but there are a few games that won't let me use the d-pad for anything, because Windows treats it as a POV hat. Does anyone know a way around that, other than just using a keyboard emulator or something?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I refuse to buy DC Universe Online unless I can fly through rings all over Metropolis.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Jefferoo posted:

I refuse to buy DC Universe Online unless I can fly through rings all over Metropolis.

Haha. That would be hilarious if the game designers put that in the game later on.:v:

I just ordered Civ 4 complete off Amazon for cheap since you guys seem to recommend it more than Civ 5 and the demo for Civ 5 keeps crashing on my computer no matter what I do. Are there any other good turned based strategy games or is Civilization the one and only?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

spasticColon posted:

Haha. That would be hilarious if the game designers put that in the game later on.:v:

I just ordered Civ 4 complete off Amazon for cheap since you guys seem to recommend it more than Civ 5 and the demo for Civ 5 keeps crashing on my computer no matter what I do. Are there any other good turned based strategy games or is Civilization the one and only?

There's a lot of good ones. Galactic Civilizations II is a good space one. I'm sure people can name others but Civ 4 is best to start, it's accessible without being too simple.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

spasticColon posted:

Civ 4 will keep you busy for a while.

There are a few good TBS games on GOG.com, including Master of Orion 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic III. If you want something more modern, Galactic Civilizations II can be had for fairly cheap and is essentially MoO2 updated, albeit without some of the character that defined the original.

Also, Shrapnel Games' Bronze sure seems intriguing, as a sort of 10-20 minute Civ game, and it's supposed to be marvelously balanced and with a shrewd AI.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 11, 2011

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Ravenger posted:

I'm just making use of that now (well the EU equivalent, a 10 year warranty). My 4 year old 8800GTS 512 recently started displaying artifacts on the screen, even during boot. I returned it via their RMA process and EVGA are just about to ship me a replacement. It'll be interesting to see what they're going to replace it with. I'm hoping It'll be something better, since it's an old card that's not being manufactured any more.

Very good customer service on EVGA's part.

Lucky dog. My 8800GT was made by BFG and they went under 1 week after my card died. Fast forward to now and I just ordered an EVGA Nvidia 460 GTX over an MSI just because of the warranty. I just hope EVGA doesn't go under too!

edit: also huge lack of quality games recently. I don't remember it being this quiet for a good while.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
EVGA's reputation from the lifetime/10 year policy probably helps keep them afloat. I for example recommend them to anyone who specifically wants or will only pick an NVIDIA card, though I'll be more flexible for Radeon cards (i.e. mine is from MSI).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pr0phecy posted:

Lucky dog. My 8800GT was made by BFG and they went under 1 week after my card died. Fast forward to now and I just ordered an EVGA Nvidia 460 GTX over an MSI just because of the warranty. I just hope EVGA doesn't go under too!

edit: also huge lack of quality games recently. I don't remember it being this quiet for a good while.

People buy games in between Steam sales?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have a 360 pad plugged into my PC, which works great for most things, but there are a few games that won't let me use the d-pad for anything, because Windows treats it as a POV hat. Does anyone know a way around that, other than just using a keyboard emulator or something?
Xpadder? (5.3 was the last freeware edition, after that Xpadder 5.7 onward is $9.99 I think, though apparently you get free downloads/updates for Xpadder for life if you do.)

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Chortles posted:

EVGA's reputation from the lifetime/10 year policy probably helps keep them afloat. I for example recommend them to anyone who specifically wants or will only pick an NVIDIA card, though I'll be more flexible for Radeon cards (i.e. mine is from MSI).

Strangely my last card purchase was a Gigabyte GTX 460, which only has a 2 year warranty. I wanted to buy an EVGA card, but for some reason they went with a much noisier cooler than the Gigabyte card. It's not always worth the extra warranty to buy an inferior product unfortunately.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pr0phecy posted:

It's just the usual December/January lull. The major publishers all blow their loads in the run-up to Xmas and things never really pick up again until March at the earliest.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just unexpectedly bought this computer today as it seemed like a once in a lifetime deal, one only last year's ex-display model, bought primarily as a gaming PC.

Intel i7 870
4GB DDR3
1.5GB Galaxy GTX 480
1.5TB SATA2

It's been a long time since I've been into computer specs and have been running games at the lowest settings on my notebook all this time. Tell me Games, considering I bought this at the price of a regular notebook, did I get ripped off or buy the wrong PC for games?

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 11, 2011

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
It's tough without an actual price tag. "price of a regular notebook" doesn't cut it because well, what counts as a regular notebook? Specs are nice but again it depends on how much you actually paid for it.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Whatever you paid, that all sounds pretty awesome and I'm sure you'll get enough quality playing time out of it to make it worth your while. And hey, no time spent putting it together, bonus!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

MurraneousX posted:

I just unexpectedly bought this computer today as it seemed like a once in a lifetime deal, one only last year's ex-display model, bought primarily as a gaming PC.

Intel i7 870
4GB DDR3
1.5GB Galaxy GTX 480
1.5TB SATA2

It's been a long time since I've been into computer specs and have been running games at the lowest settings on my notebook all this time. Tell me Games, considering I bought this at the price of a regular notebook, did I get ripped off or buy the wrong PC for games?

How much is a "regular notebook"? The weak point seems to be the GTX 480 - those are ridiculously hot, loud, and overkill for anything less than a 2560x1600 display to boot. Otherwise, seems like a pretty solid build, though as a display model I'd worry about a no-name PSU that's been run 24/7 for the last year crapping out on you before anything else.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The weak point seems to be the GTX 480 - those are ridiculously hot, loud, and overkill for anything less than a 2560x1600 display to boot.

Hot? Yes. Loud? Yes. Overkill? For DX10, sure. For newer, graphically intensive DX11 stuff, not so much. For example, Metro 2033 in DX11 mode brings my GTX 460 to its knees (1920x1200). I had to drop the resolution significantly to get a decent framerate. And that's with AA turned off. Either way, it's a very well specced machine, I'd just enjoy it and not focus on the price.

Of course, it would be stupid to buy a GTX 480 over a GTX 580, but you don't often get that choice in pre-built systems that are a one-off deal.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sorry, I guess that pricing was a little vague. It was somewhere around the $6-700 mark (hard to say exactly, I'm in Japan and the yen's been strong recently) without monitor.

For the same price they had a new similar spec with only a GTS 430, and well the X and the higher number kinda sold me. It probably will be a little overkill come to think of it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That's a very good price. The graphics card alone would account for probably half of that. Overkill is just another word for futureproof with PC hardware.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

..btt posted:

Hot? Yes. Loud? Yes. Overkill? For DX10, sure. For newer, graphically intensive DX11 stuff, not so much. For example, Metro 2033 in DX11 mode...

Click here for the full 565x650 image.

Metro 2033 in DX11 mode brings anything to its knees unless you spend at least $400 on video cards. And like Crysis, it's a major statistical outlier that you shouldn't take into consideration when purchasing GPU hardware.

EDIT: Yeah, that's a really good price. Still, I'd eBay the GTX 480 and invest the money in a Radeon 6950 instead, since a 10-minute BIOS flash can turn one into a Radeon 6970. Or just grab a "sweet spot" card (GTX460/R6850) and pocket the remainder for upgrades in a couple of years. You'll thank yourself later for reducing your gaming environment's ambient noise level.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 11, 2011

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Well, as you can tell from the fact I have a GTX 460, I don't buy top of the line graphics cards anyway, but to say the card is overkill when it only just gives smooth framerates in one or two existing games is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. If you want a top of the line graphics card, a single GTX 480 is not overkill (assuming the noise doesn't bother you). Granted, there are better single cards, and cheaper, faster SLI setups. But that doesn't necessarily make it overkill, that's all I meant :)

Besides, Metro 2033 is gorgeous. I'd love to play it on a faster setup than the one I have. Just not enough to drop £300 on graphics hardware.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

In regards to the noise, yes it is horribly loud on full power but the cooling block does mercifully have a fan strength dial on the back. Do these things have any fail-safe/idiot-proofing on them at all? i.e. If I forget to turn it up before I start my FSAA twitch fest (TM) will my graphics card happily burn itself to death?

Sorry for the stupid questions and all, I've never actually had a computer of this level before.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The 480s run VERY hot, you should let it speed up to full fan speed. If it bothers you, replace it like the other poster suggested (but if you can, play Metro first :)). It's unlikely to melt from overheating once, it will most likely just crash horribly. BUT, it will drastically reduce the lifespan of the card over time.

Edit: VVV yeah, what I was getting at was that while I certainly wouldn't advocate buying a 480 right now (the 580 is quieter, runs cooler and is faster for pretty much the same price, and that's without even considering 460s in SLI) it's madness to rip a card out of a machine only because it's "too powerful" - new games will come out requiring more powerful hardware, and all of a sudden it's only just good enough. Provided, of course, there aren't other issues such as heat or noise levels. Futureproof is a relative term anyhow since there's always the next new technology around the corner - top-end cards will always be replaced in a matter of months.

..btt fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

..btt posted:

That's a very good price. The graphics card alone would account for probably half of that. Overkill is just another word for futureproof with PC hardware.

Futureproof is the worst feature to try to buy in PC hardware, but it doesn't exist. Spending an extra $200 now always nets you far inferior performance to putting that $200 under your pillow and spending it when technology advances (read: when you actually need to upgrade).

But maybe we should get back to gaming instead of hijacking the SH/SC thread's material.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

Xpadder? (5.3 was the last freeware edition, after that Xpadder 5.7 onward is $9.99 I think, though apparently you get free downloads/updates for Xpadder for life if you do.)
Well I DID say "other than a keyboard emulator" which is what that is. But either way I gave up and finally put down the tenbux for xpadder. All I am using it for now is to bind the arrow keys to the d-pad, but I bet it will be useful for other things later.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I DID say "other than a keyboard emulator" which is what that is. But either way I gave up and finally put down the tenbux for xpadder. All I am using it for now is to bind the arrow keys to the d-pad, but I bet it will be useful for other things later.

Is the new Xpadder really worth it? I still have the old version that I can throw up somewhere if it's not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is the new Xpadder really worth it? I still have the old version that I can throw up somewhere if it's not.
I don't know what the old one is like but the one I have has the best setup interface of anything ever, basically.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I've never even heard of that Metro 2033 game, just checked out some videos for it, how the gently caress have I never heard of this it looks awesome. I get a huge STALKER feel from it which is a game I love terribly.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I've never even heard of that Metro 2033 game, just checked out some videos for it, how the gently caress have I never heard of this it looks awesome. I get a huge STALKER feel from it which is a game I love terribly.

A lot of people who worked on STALKER, but split from GSC, worked on it, IIRC. It's much more linear than STALKER, which isn't a bad thing, it's still just as good, but it'll sour you if you go in expecting something more open ended.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Well, after living in the dark ages for years, I've finally gone out and bought a shiny new Wintendo loaded to the max with graphics, processor power, and RAM. :)

I'm a big fan of RPGs / SRPGs. I've read through the recommendations at the start of the thread and see a few that I'll definitely be downloading. One I'm particularly looking forward to is Civ 4 Complete along with the FFH mods.

Other favorite games from the past include Master of Magic series (still great to play today) X-Com UFO Defense, and HoMM3.

That being said, are there any games that have not made the first post that I should look into, and what are the RPG / SRPG influeced titles that I should be looking forward to in 2011?

Thanks!

e: Also very much looking forward to Diablo 3 (if it comes out in 2011)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The new King's Bounty games are must have, they're a revival of the game that inspired HoMM. The demos kinda suck, but don't let that put you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The new King's Bounty games are must have, they're a revival of the game that inspired HoMM. The demos kinda suck, but don't let that put you off.

Ahh yeah, I forgot about those. The new complete box (Legend, AP, Crossworlds) is out at the perfect time - I'll definitely be giving it a whirl.

• Locked thread