Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Booblord Sagat posted:

Nope, he's not fat, as much as he is just really loving bulky around the torso.

Isn't he too bulky to be a cosplaying Stormtrooper?

I had to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Something that occurred to me in the shower just now: the prequels spend all this screen time explaining senate politics bullshit and jedi library bullshit and complex betting bullshit, when ANH doesn't even tell us what the gently caress a Bothan is.

You're guilty of a quite common mistake, a lot of fans make it. They got the data from Manny Bothanz not "Bothans". Manny sacrificed his life to get out the intel. He died a hero. :911:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Teek posted:

You're guilty of a quite common mistake, a lot of fans make it. They got the data from Manny Bothanz not "Bothans". Manny sacrificed his life to get out the intel. He died a hero. :911:

Mon Mothma was pretty drat torn up about it too.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Someone needs to make a rebel flag with an Ewok crying.

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn

SeanBeansShako posted:

Isn't he too bulky to be a cosplaying Stormtrooper?

I had to do this.

I already made the joke to him. It was funny then, its still funny now.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
In answer to your search, I think the 501st might be able to help you. I don't think they sell costumes, but you could try hiring/borrowing one off them. Other than that, try trawling ebay or craigslist and hope.(Also be prepared to spend shitloads of cash. I was looking for a Jedi robe one Halloween and just a few feet of linen somehow came to a hundred bucks...)

:siren: Stupid nerdy prequels rewrite stuff again. Just keep scrolling. :siren:

Ok, last time. Promise!

So I want the 'new' prequels to match the OT to the point where they can be watched in order, I through VI, and still have the same impact and plot twists.
Naturally this causes problems with the big three reveals; 'I am your Father', 'Yoda is a small green elf' and 'Leia is my sister'.

Yoda is pretty simple to sort out: Just don't show him or have him speak. If he physically has to be in it somewhere, have him as a hologram with his back turned with hood up, distorted so you can't see his height.
Leia gets a similar solution: Don't name her (or Luke). Have the daughter vanish off somewhere (I'm thinking Aalderan, but not as a princess). Sorted.

Vader = Anakin is tricky. Vader is a direct product of the prequels, and at some point there is going to be an Anakin turns evil moment, even if it doesn't end up with volcanic torture.

The idea I have at present is introducing a new character who is also a student of Obi-Wan (single apprentices never being mentioned in the prequels makes it ok), and leaving it ambiguous as to which goes evil/survives the duel of the fates at the end of III.
I know that on first glance this is seven hells of retarded, but I don't really have another way around it.

Again, if anyone can offer a better solution/tips on making the above idea work, they'd be very much appreciated! for anyone who actually wants to collaborate; you'd still be most welcome to join in. My email's still up a few pages back

/fanwank

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do any of you guys know if the Bluray re-release of the OT will have only the special edition + additional scenes version or will it have the original theatrical release as well?

I can't seem to find any info on amazon.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Bene Elim posted:

Again, if anyone can offer a better solution/tips on making the above idea work, they'd be very much appreciated!

Unless the prequels were made first, I don't think there's any reasonable way to hide those things. You're not making those movies for people 200 years from now, you're making them from people currently living, and 99% of the people who know Star Wars now saw the OT first. So there's little reason to go to ridiculous lengths to hide some of those. You might be able to get away with having Yoda off screen during the prequels, and you might be able to play something off where Ben gets Luke and we cut away not seeing the birth of Leia or something. But trying to hide the Anakin thing just wouldn't be worth it I feel.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Fox of Stone posted:

Do any of you guys know if the Bluray re-release of the OT will have only the special edition + additional scenes version or will it have the original theatrical release as well?

I sincerely doubt it. Lucas hates the OT.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fox of Stone posted:

I've read a few things about the Bluray release, and nothing mentions the original theatrical versions. Plus, yeah, Lucas hates them. He bitched like crazy when putting them on the last DVD release. I'll be shocked if they make it on there, and if they do, I can almost guarantee they won't be touched up in any way, and will still look like crap.

But yeah, there's been no mention of it, so don't count on it.

Shakespear
Nov 22, 2010

Bene Elim posted:

So I want the 'new' prequels to match the OT to the point where they can be watched in order, I through VI, and still have the same impact and plot twists.
Naturally this causes problems with the big three reveals; 'I am your Father', 'Yoda is a small green elf' and 'Leia is my sister'.

Simple solution: don't do this and just watch them in the order they were made. Or, better yet, don't watch the prequels at all. You'll be happier for not torturing yourselves with those again.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Teek posted:

You might be able to get away with having Yoda off screen during the prequels, and you might be able to play something off where Ben gets Luke and we cut away not seeing the birth of Leia or something. But trying to hide the Anakin thing just wouldn't be worth it I feel.

This is pretty much my feeling. Yoda's easy to avoid, since presumably the prequels start off with a 30s or early 40s Obi-Wan who's still young-ish but quite experienced and long finished with his training. Yoda doesn't need to appear at all. Hiding Leia is a little trickier, but doable. A halfway clever writer could easily come up with something workable. One possibility might be having her originally named something other than Leia, and having her adoptive parents give her the "Princess Leia" title between trilogies.

But the Anakin = Vader problem simply can't be avoided. The audience surprise will instead be suspense at wondering when Luke's going to find out. But that's just theory, in practice everyone in the audience already knows.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I appreciate that I'm never going to keep it secret from anyone of our generation, because it's quite simply impossible. 'I am your father' has been copied across so much of our pop-culture it's stupid. On top of that, we have already been hurt by the prequels. They are Star Wars to us now, and that will be hard to change.

Call my project an 'Infinities' story, or one written from the 'Rebellion' era as a gift to the 'Legacy'. There's kids being introduced to Star Wars every day, and I like to think that someday they won't have to be damaged by the current PT and put off the 'boring' OT. Plus there's the writing challenge, which is quite enjoyable.

Tl;DR, I'm a moron with delusions of linguistic competence who thinks his fan-fic means something.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
tbh I think it would be best if as few characters from the OT as possible were in the New PT. Obi Wan and Anakin are natural and unavoidable if the story is Anakin becoming Vader, but there should be a hard line beyond them (and Palpatine too I suppose).

:siren: Fan fiction bullshit :siren:

I was thinking today that it would be neat if there was a sort of mad scientist archetype who appeared early as the guy who perfected cloning, and reappeared throughout the PT with various experiments. For example, Grievous could be one of the scientist's creations, and he could later turn that technology on Vader.

So the villain hierarchy would be
1. Palpatine
2. Dooku + Maul + Grievous + Dracula
3. Mad Scientist guy and his mooks

I'd also like to see a non-Jedi in a major role for the good guys. I think Padme could be a sort of action girl type that works with Anakin and Obi Wan. If she's royalty, it could be her, her long suffering bodyguard, Obi Wan, and Anakin.

Also, the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of Star Wars heavily featuring an intricate plot. I would like to throw out my Palps-as-Caesar idea and endorse the Palps-as-conqueror idea. No need to muck up the storyline too badly - Anakin could just get captured and turned.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TheLoquid posted:

I was thinking today that it would be neat if there was a sort of mad scientist archetype who appeared early as the guy who perfected cloning, and reappeared throughout the PT with various experiments. For example, Grievous could be one of the scientist's creations, and he could later turn that technology on Vader.

Lucasfilm was actually considering this idea for a toy line when they were fishing around for ideas for a way to make new toys after ROTJ came out - the backstory was that there was a mad scientist who developed outlaw cloning technology and used it to invade the Republic with an army of clones, which started the Clone Wars. (And then came back after ROTJ to take over the Empire along with a resurrected Tarkin...but that's beside the point). But I always thought that idea made sense. I figure pretty much everyone figured that the Clone Wars was Jedi vs. Clones.

Since we're sending out prequel ideas, my basic requirements would be:
-If they did show the first meeting between Obi-Wan and Anakin, have it so that Anakin actually was the hotshot pilot of a spice freighter
-Padme (or whoever Anakin's love interest was) should be from Alderaan

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thrawn527 posted:

I've read a few things about the Bluray release, and nothing mentions the original theatrical versions. Plus, yeah, Lucas hates them. He bitched like crazy when putting them on the last DVD release. I'll be shocked if they make it on there, and if they do, I can almost guarantee they won't be touched up in any way, and will still look like crap.

But yeah, there's been no mention of it, so don't count on it.

Ah, that's too bad. I heard the DVD version of the original release didn't even properly account for widescreen TV's cuz so little work was put into it so you still had black bars everywhere.

I just want the bluray since the last version we have is the 1994 touchup-but-not-spec-ed release on VHS and it doesn't look good on big screens at all. Oh well.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 11, 2011

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
I don't really get how this thread went from mocking officially sanctioned fan fiction to writing our own fan fiction.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

T-1000 posted:

I don't really get how this thread went from mocking officially sanctioned fan fiction to writing our own fan fiction.

Well, you see, our fan fiction is better.

Read that seriously or sarcastically.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I think that the biggest problem of the prequels is the Jedi Order itself. The driving force behind most of Anakin's problems and the tension that drives him over the edge in RotS is that the Jedi Order has bizarre strictures on its members. We're supposed to see that they're justified, but it's got two problems: 1) we don't really live in a culture that gives us this sort of limitations on love, so it's hard to empathize (this isn't insurmountable, but it's tough) and 2) there's no evidence that it's justified, and in fact if they weren't that strict it looks like Anakin wouldn't have fallen, Padme wouldn't have died, Palpatine wouldn't have maintained his power, and the Jedi would have endured.

Showing all the kids in the Jedi Order, having it be so formalized, and giving it weird rules all combined to make the Jedi Order look much worse than it was supposed to be. Of course, actually making it better would require an absolute rewrite of everything else, because it's driving everything.

The Thrawn trilogy had some interesting hints that would have been better for Lucas to build around (hey, he did accept Coruscant, so let me dream). Jorus C'baoth is mentioned as "assuming" the rank of Master, for instance. That suggests that there isn't near as tight a Jedi "Order"--it's a loose group who are dispersed around the galaxy doing their own thing. That actually does suggest a plot to kick off the trilogy, though--to actually finish off the Jedi Order, first thing that Palpatine has to do is manufacture a threat that makes the Jedi all assemble--otherwise they'd be too scattered and too dug in to their own things to actually destroy. Having them go around and pick up people demonstrating talents as they hit puberty/young adulthood to train also gives them reason to be dispersed, keeps the kids out of the series (8-year-olds look at the heroes and want to be like them, not look at the kid who was onscreen for ten seconds and did nothing and imagine themselves as that), and gives easy ways to have odd or mysterious Jedi.

I went on longer than I meant to. But, yeah, it shouldn't have been the movie Jedi Order at all.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Jedi Order is a horrible organization and should be viewed as such.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I think those books were the only reason I got into the EU at all. We had those, Shadows of the Empire, and the Rogue Squadron books, and I enjoyed all of those as a kid. It's depressing to see what it is now. At least the Tales of books were fun and we got silly rear end stories about random dudes in Jabba's palace.

I recently re-read 'Tales from Jabba's Palace' and oh my God, the story about the Weequays is hysterical. When I was a kid I didn't catch on that the Quay is a Magic Eight Ball in space.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

I recently re-read 'Tales from Jabba's Palace' and oh my God, the story about the Weequays is hysterical. When I was a kid I didn't catch on that the Quay is a Magic Eight Ball in space.

It's no surprise given that that story was written by George Alec Effinger, who was both a really talented legitimate SF writer and a really funny guy. If you ever find a copy for cheap, I would definitely recommend Maureen Birnbaum: Barbarian Swordsperson, even though the tone is a bit 80's-dated now.

The weird thing though is that he was married to Barbara Hambly, who wrote Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight :psyduck:

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob
My only FAN FICTION idea that I'm going to talk about is that the Clone Wars should not have been such a big deal. It eclipsed the Rebellion and the OT way too much. Instead, make the Clone Wars a short, victorious war. Make it something of a golden age for Obi Wan, Anakin, and the other Jedi of their time. Juxtapose that with the Republic as a whole being clearly in its decline.

The Clone Wars would establish our characters, give depth to the Obi Wan/Anakin relationship. Obi Wan seemed nostalgic about that time when he talked about the Clone Wars and his friendship with Anakin. Show us them being heroes and winning. Set the stage for Palpatine's rise, but don't make the two happen simultaneously. The PT was choking to death on an excess of meaningless plot. Give it room to breathe. That's my idea.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

ZeeToo posted:

Jorus C'baoth is mentioned as "assuming" the rank of Master, for instance. That suggests that there isn't near as tight a Jedi "Order"--it's a loose group who are dispersed around the galaxy doing their own thing.

I went on longer than I meant to. But, yeah, it shouldn't have been the movie Jedi Order at all.

The Jedi order should have been more like this in the prequel, and it should have made for far more variation in the weapons a Jedi uses. Apart from Maul and *shudder* Yoda, everyone in the prequel trilogy had a lightsaber that was basically identical to everyone else's. I'm probably going to Star Wars fan hell for saying this, but I would have liked to severe differences in training, styles, and even weapons among different groups of Jedi. You could have one group that does nothing but meditate, another group that eschews the philosophical stuff for more combat-oriented skills, etc. As for weapons, as long as it made sense I would have liked to see it. Polearms, daggers, the classic saber, enormous claymores, Jedi who specialize in blasters, etc. Certain weapon types and combat styles would be a clue as to who a particular Jedi was trained by, and that knowledge could win or lose a fight. This would really come into play if there were "Dark Jedi." Not Sith, mind you, but rouge Jedi who fell from the ideals that the Jedi held. That's another thing I'd change. Have Jedi, Sith, and rouge "Dark Jedi." The rouges would be a kind of outcast, unwilling to return to the Jedi order, but still considered to be Jedi by the Sith. It'd make for some interesting storytelling.

Bene Elim posted:

I appreciate that I'm never going to keep it secret from anyone of our generation, because it's quite simply impossible. 'I am your father' has been copied across so much of our pop-culture it's stupid. On top of that, we have already been hurt by the prequels. They are Star Wars to us now, and that will be hard to change.

If you wanted to at least try and keep Anakin=Luke's Father=Vader thing a secret, go with Obi-wan's original story. Put something in there about when a person decides to become a Jedi, he or she changes their name to show their commitment to the cause. That way we can have Obi-wan, his pupil not-Anakin Skywalker, and a third party. Third-Party would be some really nice guy that we really like. He'd be a good pilot and have a knack for getting out of tough situations. Third-Party, Obi-wan, and not-Anakin are an unstoppable trio and the best of friends. Then, Third-Party and not-Anakin both fall hard for some babe. She strings them both along, not wanting to hurt their feelings or their friendship. Then, she turns up pregnant. Both Third-Party and not-Anakin figure the kid is there's, and much rejoycing goes on in the trio about how both of them are going to be blessed with children. Then one day, Third-Party walk in on not-Anakin and the girl. The gig is up. Lots of shouting, screaming, and accusations fly. Third-Party storms off, with not-Anakin close behind. Not-Anakin murders Third-Party in cold blood, then returns to deal with that whore. That whore, meanwhile, has panicked and gone to Obi-wan. Obi-wan realizes the danger to her, and whisks her away. Not-Anakin, having killed one of his best friends in cold blood, finds that he cannot think of himself as not-Anakin anymore. He adopts the moniker Darth Vader, and sets off hot on the heels of Obi-wan and the woman. poo poo happens, babies are born, and Obi-wan tries to talk some sense into Darth Vader on some volcano world. Vader thinks that Obi-wan was in on the deception, and they fight. Vader gets cut up, but Obi-wan just can't leave his old friend there and takes him for medical treatment. More poo poo happens, the boy is sent off to live with Obi-wan's brother, while the mother and daughter go into hiding on Alderaan.

It's a bit complex and soap-opera-ey, but it also makes sure that no one watching the prequels first will have a clue who Luke's father is. It even keeps open the Vader killed his father thing.

Edit: Now that I think about it, make the sister and mother head off to parts unknown. Not even Obi-wan knows, the idea being if Vader catches Obi-wan and makes him talk, at least one of the children will be safe. That way we can still have the "Holy poo poo Leia is his Sister?!" thing. Name the boy Luke, but never have a name given for the daughter.

NeonTurtle fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 11, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I wonder if it would be better if Obi-Wan didn't know Anakin survived.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ZeeToo posted:

I think that the biggest problem of the prequels is the Jedi Order itself. The driving force behind most of Anakin's problems and the tension that drives him over the edge in RotS is that the Jedi Order has bizarre strictures on its members. We're supposed to see that they're justified, but it's got two problems: 1) we don't really live in a culture that gives us this sort of limitations on love, so it's hard to empathize (this isn't insurmountable, but it's tough) and 2) there's no evidence that it's justified, and in fact if they weren't that strict it looks like Anakin wouldn't have fallen, Padme wouldn't have died, Palpatine wouldn't have maintained his power, and the Jedi would have endured.

Showing all the kids in the Jedi Order, having it be so formalized, and giving it weird rules all combined to make the Jedi Order look much worse than it was supposed to be. Of course, actually making it better would require an absolute rewrite of everything else, because it's driving everything.

The Thrawn trilogy had some interesting hints that would have been better for Lucas to build around (hey, he did accept Coruscant, so let me dream). Jorus C'baoth is mentioned as "assuming" the rank of Master, for instance. That suggests that there isn't near as tight a Jedi "Order"--it's a loose group who are dispersed around the galaxy doing their own thing. That actually does suggest a plot to kick off the trilogy, though--to actually finish off the Jedi Order, first thing that Palpatine has to do is manufacture a threat that makes the Jedi all assemble--otherwise they'd be too scattered and too dug in to their own things to actually destroy. Having them go around and pick up people demonstrating talents as they hit puberty/young adulthood to train also gives them reason to be dispersed, keeps the kids out of the series (8-year-olds look at the heroes and want to be like them, not look at the kid who was onscreen for ten seconds and did nothing and imagine themselves as that), and gives easy ways to have odd or mysterious Jedi.

The whole point was that the Jedi Order WAS a bad organization and that their methodology is what ultimately caused their own destruction. Palpatine didn't turn Anakin by lying to him, he turned him by telling him the truth. This is even better told by some stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor in RotS and was in the novelization, but basically Yoda realized that Qui-gon Jinn and all his living Force talk was actually right.

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob
Does anybody remember that video that is recut with Han and everyone shooting the Ewoks? MY GIRLFRIEND loves the Ewoks and I want to show it to her. It was in this thread I think.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Rick posted:

The whole point was that the Jedi Order WAS a bad organization and that their methodology is what ultimately caused their own destruction. Palpatine didn't turn Anakin by lying to him, he turned him by telling him the truth. This is even better told by some stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor in RotS and was in the novelization, but basically Yoda realized that Qui-gon Jinn and all his living Force talk was actually right.

This, even when done right, it a pretty questionable direction to have gone with the backstory to the Jedi as we knew them in the OT. You really don't want your audience to be able to say "Well, they had a point" about cackling space Nazis.

But it was done horribly, so it's sort of a lost cause anyway.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

deadguy posted:

Does anybody remember that video that is recut with Han and everyone shooting the Ewoks? MY GIRLFRIEND loves the Ewoks and I want to show it to her. It was in this thread I think.

I don't know if this is what you meant, but it is what I found doing a quick google and thought it was worth sharing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCmP7n_jwtA

However, I'm a sucker for recut trailers, but I thought it was clever. The scene in question is at the very end (if it's the correct video).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Captain von Trapp posted:

This, even when done right, it a pretty questionable direction to have gone with the backstory to the Jedi as we knew them in the OT. You really don't want your audience to be able to say "Well, they had a point" about cackling space Nazis.

But it was done horribly, so it's sort of a lost cause anyway.

Lucas was obviously trying to insert various personal messages into these films vs. the "mythological" themes of the sequels.

His own disastrous love life was likely the motivation for Love And Attachment being Anakin's downfall.

The Nemoidians and Watto are greedy, selfish and only care for money, being stereotypes of what appear to be Asian businessmen and Jews. I have heard Lucas based this on his Hollywood negotiations over the years.

The government starts off as a useless, bureaucratic entity controlled by the rich (which is a fair criticism, even today) and democratically puts evil men into power. Kind of iffy on that second criticism, but it's pretty obvious that's his personal politics coming into play.

The funny thing about the Jedi is that I don't think Lucas intended for us to be critical of them. I think he's just a poor writer and suffered from Dragonball Z/comcbook hero syndrome: He couldn't think of a believable way for them to lose, as they are TOO competent and powerful. So they have to suffer this vague stupidity and "dark side covers all" blindness towards danger.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

T-1000 posted:

We all realized that we're posting in an Internet thread about Star Wars, and trying to pretend we're not nerds was pointless.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

Hiding Leia is a little trickier, but doable. A halfway clever writer could easily come up with something workable. One possibility might be having her originally named something other than Leia, and having her adoptive parents give her the "Princess Leia" title between trilogies.

Actually, thinking about it, it might not be that hard to hide the Leia thing. Have RotS end as it does, but don't show Padme naming them. Just have the droid say "It's a boy and a girl". Fans will know who the babies are, new fans will know there are twins and can see Luke left with Owen with Ben walking off, and have Breha will Leia on Alderaan without her husband Bail around. No one will know who Breha is, because she wasn't shown in the trilogy until that point anyway.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Why is Luke even a name that exists in a galaxy far, far away?

edit: Are there any other characters with ordinary names? All I can come up with are Derek "Hobbie" Klivian and maybe Jan Dodonna.

e2: Wes Janson would work too, and I assume Tycho Celchu was named after Tycho Brahe?

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 11, 2011

abata and ekubo
Jan 5, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Why are there humans who speak English in a galaxy far, far away? What's up with that poo poo?

And where are all the Asians???

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

abata and ekubo posted:

Causing the Phantom Menace?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

abata and ekubo posted:

Why are there humans who speak English in a galaxy far, far away? What's up with that poo poo?

The evolved into Neimoidians. With the exception of a couple blacks, only the pure, white strains of humanity didn't evolve into a hideous alien life form that shows the purest essence of the race's backwards behavior.

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn

abata and ekubo posted:

They got blown up flying Y-Wings at the Battle of Endor

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

edit: Are there any other characters with ordinary names? All I can come up with are Derek "Hobbie" Klivian and maybe Jan Dodonna.

Owen, Lars, Ben?

Elan Sleazebaggano?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Mister Roboto posted:

Owen, Lars, Ben?

Gavin Darklighter, too.

Tatooine was apparently populated by time traveling Englishmen.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

As always, Wookieepedia is way ahead of you: here's the list of names that "wouldn't be out of place in an Earth phone book." (There's got to be a couple hundred of them.)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Earth#Character_names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Evan

what....what?