Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

soru posted:

I'm running a CM7/Gingerbread nightly on my Incredible right now, and the camera, GPS, and network location all work great.

I guess it's not officially a nightly yet maybe? Sort of a pre-build or something. I don't know.

They aren't technically nightlies yet. If you look at your About Phone screen, it'll probably say CyanogenMod-7.0.0-RC0-inc-KANG or something like that - the -KANG means that it was not a member of TeamDouche that compiled it. There's a member of xda that regularly compiles CM7 builds and posts them to crackflashers.com. I've been running CM7 on my G2 since the earliest builds and it's gotten incredibly stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, are these instructions:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843014 good for rooting my Desire Z or is there a better method I can use? Also can my device use Gingerbread?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

StealthArcher posted:

So, are these instructions:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843014 good for rooting my Desire Z or is there a better method I can use? Also can my device use Gingerbread?
Do this instead.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833965

And yes, one of the recent CM7 builds, someone just commented that they're very good now. I'm holding off until an actual RC myself.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Civil posted:

Do this instead.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833965

And yes, one of the recent CM7 builds, someone just commented that they're very good now. I'm holding off until an actual RC myself.

I'm in Canada, not in the US on TMobile and that's for G2 only.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

They aren't technically nightlies yet. If you look at your About Phone screen, it'll probably say CyanogenMod-7.0.0-RC0-inc-KANG or something like that - the -KANG means that it was not a member of TeamDouche that compiled it. There's a member of xda that regularly compiles CM7 builds and posts them to crackflashers.com. I've been running CM7 on my G2 since the earliest builds and it's gotten incredibly stable.

Thanks for mentioning that site. I've been dying all month for a taste of gingerbread and I finally have it on my Droid1!

So far the only things broken I've noticed were the soft button lights (they don't turn on) and some apps don't run. It seems pretty stable so far, I might stick with it until the RCs start coming out.

y2011m01d11_droid_about

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Clockwork is now working and flashable for the Nook color via Rom Manager (previously it would "flash" but you couldn't get it to actually work).

There's also now a 900mhz OC kernel available here for the NC. Dude's promising to hit 1ghz asap, and bring over other performance improvements. Trying this out myself momentarily.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Casao posted:

Clockwork is now working and flashable for the Nook color via Rom Manager (previously it would "flash" but you couldn't get it to actually work).

There's also now a 900mhz OC kernel available here for the NC. Dude's promising to hit 1ghz asap, and bring over other performance improvements. Trying this out myself momentarily.

It's worth noting that if you flash a custom recovery on the Nook, it will no longer return to factory settings after 8 failed boot attempts, so don't count on that if you're dicking around.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ashex posted:

On my Vibrant I was running Stock JL5 + Stock kernel w/Voodoo beta5.

Got a link for the stock ROM? I want to do this. I found a JL5 out there but I keep getting an error when I go to install it [E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)] and I've checked and double checked that it transferred over correctly, but no dice.

Edit- It has no problem installing other ROMs, though. Just loaded Nero3 TW edition w/ voodoo just to see if it would work, and it does.

and again - I just saw that Nero4.1 dropped yesterday. Gonna give that a go.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 12, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

StealthArcher posted:

I followed the guide on the XDA wiki for the Desire Z. It worked like a charm.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
The only differences between the Desire Z and the G2 (other than the 3G bands) are a few differences in partition structures, I think. Most ROMs and guides apply to both.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I have a rooted Incredible.

I may be getting a replacement phone - can I port an entire Nandroid backup to a new device? Or am I stuck with just moving the Titanium Backup app data to the new device?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

CloFan posted:

Got a link for the stock ROM? I want to do this. I found a JL5 out there but I keep getting an error when I go to install it [E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)] and I've checked and double checked that it transferred over correctly, but no dice.

Edit- It has no problem installing other ROMs, though. Just loaded Nero3 TW edition w/ voodoo just to see if it would work, and it does.

Interesting, I think this one will work but it's not what I used. I uploaded the rom I used, although I have removed all the bloat included T-Mobile apps (such as visual voicemail), shutdown/startup sounds, and put in the stock shutdown animation. I also added Titanium Backup and Rom Manager to make things easier.

Grab it here.

I didn't apply the SD card fix so if you have issues transferring files when it's plugged in to a computer, read here.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ashex posted:

Interesting, I think this one will work but it's not what I used. I uploaded the rom I used, although I have removed all the bloat included T-Mobile apps (such as visual voicemail), shutdown/startup sounds, and put in the stock shutdown animation. I also added Titanium Backup and Rom Manager to make things easier.

Grab it here.

I didn't apply the SD card fix so if you have issues transferring files when it's plugged in to a computer, read here.

Thank you so much for uploading that. I had planned to do all that as well, so you really saved me some trouble. Still gonna give this a try soon, although I'm also installing Nero4.1 as I type.

Oh and yeah, that was the download link I was using for JL5. Tried the top one and the bottom one, neither worked.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

CloFan posted:

Oh and yeah, that was the download link I was using for JL5. Tried the top one and the bottom one, neither worked.

Were you able to download the one I put up?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ashex posted:

Were you able to download the one I put up?

Yep, got it stored safe and sound on my hard drive and residing in a roms directory on my phone :D

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
On the sense roms for my desire z the hardware keyboard features automatic spelling correction and word prediction. I tried getting this to work in MIUI by installing the HTC IME MOD keyboard, and it works for a short time by turning on spelling and prediction for the hardware qwerty. Soon after it stops working and I'm unable to get the prediction bar to come up again short of clearing all the data for the keyboard. Any thoughts on how to solve this?

e: it seems I need to tap somewhere other than the text field, then refocus the text field to get it to work. annoying, but workable.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 12, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Robpol86 posted:

Thanks for mentioning that site. I've been dying all month for a taste of gingerbread and I finally have it on my Droid1!

How's the performance on it? I've been having some issues with performance lately on my Droid 1, and I've been too lazy to overclock it to see if that alleviates anything. Has upgrading to CM7 felt faster?

(And am I alone in thinking that Bugless Beast is worse than CM6?)

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 12, 2011

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
If you have an evo and the legit swype beta uninstall that poo poo before upgrading to fresh 3.5.

He included it stock in the rom so you have to remove it or deal with it not working. He wasnt real clear on this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aatrek posted:

I may be getting a replacement phone - can I port an entire Nandroid backup to a new device? Or am I stuck with just moving the Titanium Backup app data to the new device?

You can but I wouldn't. Sometimes there are slight hardware revisions that will gently caress everything up.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 12, 2011

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

Mo0 posted:

I used BB for a few hours and had to go back to CM6, which I've never wanted to goto anything else besides after, except MIUI but since its not listed in Rom Manager I've been too lazy to go out and find a build of it to try out. What exactly does BB have to offer over CM6 anyway, or what are its selling points rather?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

StealthArcher posted:

If you've still held off, there's a better/safer way than Visionary thats been around for a while:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Robpol86 posted:

So far the only things broken I've noticed were the soft button lights (they don't turn on) and some apps don't run. It seems pretty stable so far, I might stick with it until the RCs start coming out.

y2011m01d11_droid_about

Bugless Beast is more stable. I have not had issues with the soft button lights or apps. Unfortunately, the battery sensor is boned. Once it gets below 50% it displays the 5% warning. It functions correctly and still has the charge, it just does not display the correct level.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aatrek posted:

Use TB, not Nandroid - Nandroid can and will gently caress up over subtle hardware differences in revisions. And just restore apps and data, not system settings.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

Mo0 posted:

How's the performance on it? I've been having some issues with performance lately on my Droid 1, and I've been too lazy to overclock it to see if that alleviates anything. Has upgrading to CM7 felt faster?

I haven't tried Bugless in a while, personally I like CM more.

I haven't seen any performance problems yet, no lags or skips. I tried to run Quadrant but after it runs the tests it messes up and just returns me to the main menu, so I can't see the results. I'm using the kernel that the build came with instead of my usual 1.2 kernel and nothing really seems slow.

It hasn't rebooted on me either, seems pretty stable.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Scrubed posted:

If you have an evo and the legit swype beta uninstall that poo poo before upgrading to fresh 3.5.

He included it stock in the rom so you have to remove it or deal with it not working. He wasnt real clear on this.

Well, Fresh is based off of stock ROM and swype is now included in stock. It sounds like user error there.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Primworm posted:

except MIUI but since its not listed in Rom Manager

Are you using a Droid 1? If so, MIUI is in Rom Manager: it's listed under jamezelle--the guy who ports it.

I've been using MIUI for a couple of weeks, and it's the best looking adaptation of Android I've seen yet.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

rckstar79 posted:

Are you using a Droid 1? If so, MIUI is in Rom Manager: it's listed under jamezelle--the guy who ports it.

I've been using MIUI for a couple of weeks, and it's the best looking adaptation of Android I've seen yet.

I use MIUI with Launcher Pro+...kind of a strange combination, but I love the messaging and menu system it uses. The categories for the settings menu make a hell of a lot of sense and brings some much-needed order to it.

If you are using MIUI with the intended launcher, using folders is a good way to tame it so you don't end up with an unmanageable number of screens.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

rckstar79 posted:

Oh really? Well drat I am gonna have to check that out tonight, thanks for the tip, I was just looking for MIUI, looking forward to this!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Primworm posted:

Oh really? Well drat I am gonna have to check that out tonight, thanks for the tip, I was just looking for MIUI, looking forward to this!

You could also just grab the real one from MIUI-Dev.com - all the other ones are pretty much just repackaged versions of this.

Maybe Rom Manager is easier, but this works for every device miui exists for, more or less.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Casao posted:

You could also just grab the real one from MIUI-Dev.com - all the other ones are pretty much just repackaged versions of this.

Maybe Rom Manager is easier, but this works for every device miui exists for, more or less.

I've honestly never flashed a rom with anything other than rom manager. I know how, or I'm fairly sure how, not to sure if I have to rename everything I flash update.zip and throw it in the root, but maybe I will try that out too, thanks for the heads up on that. Are there any apps MIUI doesn't play nice with by the way? You seem to be the resident "MIUI guy" Casao so I figure you would know.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Primworm posted:

I've honestly never flashed a rom with anything other than rom manager. I know how, or I'm fairly sure how, not to sure if I have to rename everything I flash update.zip and throw it in the root, but maybe I will try that out too, thanks for the heads up on that. Are there any apps MIUI doesn't play nice with by the way? You seem to be the resident "MIUI guy" Casao so I figure you would know.

I haven't found any, but I guess it's possible. It's Android 2.2, though.

But no, to flash something, you can download both of the files and use Rom Manager to flash the files from the SD card. If you turn on the advanced mode, you can even queue both of them back to back.

I dunno if the one in ROM Manager is any good or bad, but the ones for the N1 were the basic rom with lovely stuff added on top.

It's a good skill to have, though.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Casao posted:

I haven't found any, but I guess it's possible. It's Android 2.2, though.

But no, to flash something, you can download both of the files and use Rom Manager to flash the files from the SD card. If you turn on the advanced mode, you can even queue both of them back to back.

I dunno if the one in ROM Manager is any good or bad, but the ones for the N1 were the basic rom with lovely stuff added on top.

It's a good skill to have, though.

Ok it's good to know, but I do have a question. What do you mean by both files, are there two sets of files I need to flash MIUI in this way, or do you mean MIUI and Google apps? Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I could easily google this up, I just prefer asking a person to be honest. Thanks though for the info!

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Amphigory posted:

I recently rooted my HTC Hero (I'm in the UK, if that matters, as I think it has a different name here)

I've installed Android Tether, and from the phone, it appears to be working. When I connect to the ad hoc network, the upload and download stats do change slightly, but neither my laptop or iPod seem to be able to use the internet when connected to the phone. And the phone is able to connect to the internet

Any ideas? I've not done anything else to the phone after rooting it - it's running firmware 2.1-update1, if that helps?

Anyone?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Primworm posted:

Ok it's good to know, but I do have a question. What do you mean by both files, are there two sets of files I need to flash MIUI in this way, or do you mean MIUI and Google apps? Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I could easily google this up, I just prefer asking a person to be honest. Thanks though for the info!

MIUI-Dev distributes the original chinese rom and an English translation pack. You flash the Chinese Rom and then the English pack on top of it to translate.

Amphigory posted:

Anyone?

You generally need a custom kernel to support tethering. What rom are you running?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So after coming from the Vibrant official 2.1 update (and a working GPS) to Nero 3 to Nero 4.1, I've found that once again my GPS is poo poo. This is despite reports about how awesome the GPS is.

I've tried flashing the JL4 modem, the SGS fix app, and nothing so far. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to try something more like flashing back to a 2.1 stock rom, then reflashing to the Nero 4.1 rom. Before I do this, what sorts of things should I be clearing before I flash? Are there things I can clear now before I go back? Also, should I go into Odin and reflash this software, or will a stock rom be enough?

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm doing everything I need to to ensure a good flash. Thanks!

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

Amphigory posted:

Anyone?

1) if you downloaded the Wireless Tether app from the market, I believe its several versions behind what's available. Google should point you to the page with the newest version.

2) I'm pretty sure the tether app requires BusyBox to run. Every root method I've used installed it along with the root but I'm not familiar with rooting on the Hero.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Solkanar512 posted:

the SGS fix app

is a pile of poo poo. Phone in *#*#3214789650#*#* and do the following:

Application Settings posted:

Operation Mode: Standalone or MS Based
GPS Plus: ON
Dynamic accuracy: ON
Accuracy: Between 50 and 120 (inclusive, in increments of 10. Note that this is a diameter, so it'll show a minimum accuracy in apps of between 25 and 60m. You pretty much have to see what works for you.)
GPS Logging: OFF

SUPL/CP Settings posted:

Server: supl.google.com (okay really anything but that broken spirent site, but this is what I use so~)
Server Port: 7276
SUPL Secure Socket: OFF
AGPS Mode: SUPL

Delete GPS Data posted:

[no options, you just hit the button]

Then get EclipSim's "GPS Status & Toolbox" off the Market, and go into Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Reset.

Enjoy getting 7-point fixes in EMI hotboxes indoors.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 13, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Scud posted:

I also installed the newest stable cyanogenmod 6.1.2

I know you posted this like a week ago, but I haven't gotten to the thread in a while and this reminded me...

Is there any reason I need to update my EVO from 6.1.1 to 6.1.2? From what I can tell the only different is newer hardware support, but I wanted to confirm this before I completely forgot to ask.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
The absolute best feature of CM7 is the new screen on/off animations. Hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

soru posted:

The absolute best feature of CM7 is the new screen on/off animations. Hands down.

I dunno if that's a really loving awesome animation, or kind of a down point for all of Gingerbread.