Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I'm having a great amount of difficulty syncing traktor s4 to ableton.

I'm running traktor out to midi yoke 1. In midi-ox I have the midi yoke 1 input linked to midi yoke 2 output. in ableton I have track, sync, and remote all on in the input from midi yoke 2. I have the EXT button highlighted, but the midi receive light next to it never reacts. Do I have it hooked up wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I have recently started messing around with the demo of ableton and really like it. Tried out touchOSC and Touchable on my iPad and both are pretty cool.

Was considering getting a midi keyboard. I can't make up my mind between an M-Audio Keystation or a M-Audio Oxygen.

The keystation has semi weighted keys.

The Oxygen does not have weighted keys but has a bunch of programmable sliders and knobs.

How useful are the sliders and knobs and poo poo? Both keyboards are about the same price.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Begby posted:

Was considering getting a midi keyboard. I can't make up my mind between an M-Audio Keystation or a M-Audio Oxygen.

The keystation has semi weighted keys.

The Oxygen does not have weighted keys but has a bunch of programmable sliders and knobs.

How useful are the sliders and knobs and poo poo? Both keyboards are about the same price.

I'd get the Oxygen. I found that I hardly play more than a few seconds on a keyboard at a time when recording to Ableton, after which I often quantize the notes again manually and maybe play around with their velocity too. Having a bunch of knobs and faders is great and super useful, as you can control several functions very precisely at the same time, making recording automation a breeze.

EDIT: Then again, I only have 25-key MIDI Keyboards, so I can't really play much on them anyway. So, I guess it depends how much you plan on actually "playing" keys versus easier automation/control of parameters.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

FLX posted:

I'd get the Oxygen. I found that I hardly play more than a few seconds on a keyboard at a time when recording to Ableton, after which I often quantize the notes again manually and maybe play around with their velocity too. Having a bunch of knobs and faders is great and super useful, as you can control several functions very precisely at the same time, making recording automation a breeze.

EDIT: Then again, I only have 25-key MIDI Keyboards, so I can't really play much on them anyway. So, I guess it depends how much you plan on actually "playing" keys versus easier automation/control of parameters.

Well I guess I would like to learn to play piano. I was planning on getting a 61 key model.

Is there really that big of a difference between unweighted and semi-weighted? Unfortunatly there are no local places that carry this stuff that I know of.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Begby posted:

Well I guess I would like to learn to play piano. I was planning on getting a 61 key model.

Is there really that big of a difference between unweighted and semi-weighted? Unfortunatly there are no local places that carry this stuff that I know of.

If you can get your hands on either, try playing. I guarantee you'll immediately recognize a difference and prefer a semi-weighted over unweighted. Velocity is a variable in MIDI that matters somewhat so you'd probably want a type of keyboard that gives your playing a natural sound and tactical feel.

Just finished recording some music for a demo and I've come to realize that Ableton (and probably every other audio DAW out there) sort of kills the VERY first beat of my song if I don't leave a millisecond or two of silence at the beginning of the track.

The heavy bass drum hit intro is important and when I was exporting before with 1.1.1 being the first note the hit would be kind of abrupt and sounded off. Technically the first note is still at 1.1.1, but I've been adding the slightest bit of silence to the beginning of the track (make sure to shift-click that portion of silence into your track before exporting) and having that loud in-sync hit opening the track really helps.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Am I just taking it for granted that everyone should know to start their projects on measure 2? Isn't that DAW 101?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

RivensBitch posted:

Isn't that DAW 101?

I think it's 112 :haw:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RivensBitch posted:

Am I just taking it for granted that everyone should know to start their projects on measure 2? Isn't that DAW 101?

I'm just guessing, based on messing with the ableton trial for a week. But can't you just type in whatever you want(1.1.2, or whatever) in the bar at the top and then start?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Anyone used Vocaloid with Live as a VST or with Rewire? I can't get it to work.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

The Fool posted:

I'm just guessing, based on messing with the ableton trial for a week. But can't you just type in whatever you want(1.1.2, or whatever) in the bar at the top and then start?

I'm not talking about playback I'm talking about putting MIDI and Audioclips into the timeline.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

tehschulman posted:

If you can get your hands on either, try playing. I guarantee you'll immediately recognize a difference and prefer a semi-weighted over unweighted. Velocity is a variable in MIDI that matters somewhat so you'd probably want a type of keyboard that gives your playing a natural sound and tactical feel.

OK, well I am taking your advice. I borrowed this E-MU Board 61 from my boss

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=532&subcategory=533&product=15164&nav=features

But I, and he, has no idea if it has semi weighted keys or not. I am guessing not since it doesn't say anything on the description.

I am asking a friend to bring his m-audio keystation into work tomorrow to see how it feels.

So, that board 61. He is trying to pawn it off on me. Is this thing any good? And if so what is a fair price?

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

RivensBitch posted:

Well I guess I'm not very good at this stuff. Why start at measure 2?

[edit] Oh, okay. So that you can have some kind of intro thing sweep into your first beat. That makes sense.

I'm not going to do that, but I see why you think it's a good idea.

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 6, 2011

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.

Vector 7 posted:

Well I guess I'm not very good at this stuff. Why start at measure 2?

[edit] Oh, okay. So that you can have some kind of intro thing sweep into your first beat. That makes sense.

I'm not going to do that, but I see why you think it's a good idea.
I think it has to do with the attack being clipped off or not being reproduced properly by speakers if the first sample in an audio file is a non-zero number. It might also give the DAW a few milliseconds to start rendering properly, I'm unsure on the technical side of this issue, I just know what happens if you put a kick drum directly on bar 1 - beat 1.

gingivitis the wart fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 6, 2011

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

So for those of you who start the song right on beat one, what do you do if you want to start recording vocals or an acoustic instrument right at the beginning of the track? What do you use for a timing reference / count off/in?

Maybe it's just a throwback to when computers weren't as fast, but even if everything is electronic and sequenced and I don't need to record something at the beginning of the track, I've always left an extra measure or two at the beginning of all my sessions to give the DAW some time to render any real time effects and "settle". I know that when I have a cpu heavy session, starting playback at any random point in the timeline can make playback stutter or hiccup for just a second.

And as for rendering, I always prefer to trim the ends of my mixdowns and I rarely ever start a track right exactly on the one.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
I usually just write the track from bar 1 and then move it all over 1 bar before i export

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

RivensBitch posted:

So for those of you who start the song right on beat one, what do you do if you want to start recording vocals or an acoustic instrument right at the beginning of the track? What do you use for a timing reference / count off/in?

Maybe it's just a throwback to when computers weren't as fast, but even if everything is electronic and sequenced and I don't need to record something at the beginning of the track, I've always left an extra measure or two at the beginning of all my sessions to give the DAW some time to render any real time effects and "settle". I know that when I have a cpu heavy session, starting playback at any random point in the timeline can make playback stutter or hiccup for just a second.

And as for rendering, I always prefer to trim the ends of my mixdowns and I rarely ever start a track right exactly on the one.
I use Live's Count-In feature.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Ben and Stew posted:

I usually just write the track from bar 1 and then move it all over 1 bar before i export

I usually start writing from the middle :)

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I MIDIed a key to the loop function of a song, but in order to trigger the loops using the assigned button, I have select the song and have it go into the sample editor view. Is there anyway to trigger the loop on the songs that are playing without opening the sample editor?

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

phractured posted:

I MIDIed a key to the loop function of a song, but in order to trigger the loops using the assigned button, I have select the song and have it go into the sample editor view. Is there anyway to trigger the loop on the songs that are playing without opening the sample editor?
You should be able to just push the button you MIDI assigned and have it toggle looping on the clip. It toggles looping on whatever track you have highlighted, but doesn't care if the sample editor is open or not.

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 10, 2011

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Vector 7 posted:

You should be able to just push the button you MIDI assigned and have it toggle looping on the clip. It toggles looping on whatever track you have highlighted, but doesn't care if the sample editor is open or not.
Oh okay, so that means I will always have to manually highlight the song right?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Finally got my turntables hooked up, and the way I have them routed right now in order to play them I either need to set the direct/monitor input on my audio interface to monitor or just arm a track in ableton with the turntable inputs. The latter way allows me to put effects on the track thats playing live. Right now I have a drum rack with a bunch of loud rear end vengeance samples and sidechained the turntable input to the kick drum. Instant lovely techno remix of whatever I'm playing! (currently Fantasia soundtrack on vinyl, next up will probably be the soundtrack to Citizen Kane). <3 Live.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

phractured posted:

Oh okay, so that means I will always have to manually highlight the song right?
To get it to loop? Yeah, that track needs to be highlighted. Is this for a live set, like a gig? Because what I do is have two or more clips of each song to handle this, with one clip loop enabled and one normal. I usually have a bunch of clips made out of each song that loop certain parts. This lets you do some pretty crazy remixing on the fly.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
How do I go about setting one MIDI knob to control the semitone tuning wheel of the currently selected sample instead of the tuning wheel of a specific single sample? Is this possible? I'd like to bind two knobs so I could use them to quickly tune/finetune an incoming track or beat in a dj set.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Vector 7 posted:

To get it to loop? Yeah, that track needs to be highlighted. Is this for a live set, like a gig? Because what I do is have two or more clips of each song to handle this, with one clip loop enabled and one normal. I usually have a bunch of clips made out of each song that loop certain parts. This lets you do some pretty crazy remixing on the fly.

Yeah it's for a live set. So you would advise to split my songs up and have portions with repeat on? Or I just make a copy of every track and one will be a loop sample that I can just set to play next?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

does anyone here use an Axiom? Mine works well (very well, actually, I love the thing) except for one niggling issue.

When I press the (mapped) 'rec' button on Mr. Axiom the rec icon in Live lights up only as long as it's pressed. I suppose it needs to be set to toggle but I'm not sure how to set it to do so. I think it did originally, but I suppose I've messed the settings.

Hoping someone who knows more about MIDI (or could at least comprehend some of the poo poo in the manual) can help me out.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That actually sounds like it could be an issue from within Live, dolphins are gay. If you've saved a MIDI mapping for your transport REC button, I don't see why it wouldn't latch - are you using external sync for Live, or anything else that might affect your transport?

Related question (related to recording and the transport, at least): I've now got a Live set that I sync to Traktor, with the end goal being that audio from Traktor comes into Live, gets mixed with some of my own tracks (when I loving finish some of them) and I have an extra 'layer of mixing', or an extra 'deck' if you will, in Live to add my own music. I also have an external effect loop that goes through Live. It's my Virus' Atomizer, into a KP3. The whole set is MIDI sync'd to Traktor's virtual MIDI output, so as to keep the Atomizer's beat-rush effects (and of course, my own tracks in Live) in time even with a DJ set that tends to fluctuate in tempo. Occasionally I have to hit Traktor's 'SYNC' button in the metronome section, before the downbeat, to update Live on the tempo. I have one track in Live set to 'resampling' (an input option that records Live's master output, but you knew that) to record the entire 'performance', from mixing in Traktor to dropping my own music in Live, to beat-rushing, stutters and glitching with the Atomizer/KP3 effect loop.

There are a couple of problems with this. The first isn't really a big deal, it's just that playback gaps for a second when I hit 'SYNC' in Traktor - regardless of whether tracks in Live are recording/resampling. The second is a HUGE deal. I tried to use the Atomizer last night while recording a mix, and for some reason my resampling track entirely stopped recording roughly around the same time I hit 'SYNC' to update Live's tempo so I could uh, Atomize. I didn't realize this because I wasn't paying attention to Live's transport, but it indeed seems to be the case that hitting 'SYNC' in Traktor alters Live's transport, killing recording, even when there's nothing really playing in Live (there wasn't, I was just using it for the effect loop).

So is there any way around this? I'd really like to be able to record my mixes with the Atomizer, tracks rolling in Live and the whole shebang. I also don't really want to buy a hardware recorder, or Mickey Mouse a solution with my portable MP3 recorder and a Y-cable - so far that seems like the best solution, though. The 'playback hiccup when hitting SYNC' is indeed a much lesser issue, but I'd still like to get rid of it if possible. Thoughts?

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl

dolphins are gay posted:

does anyone here use an Axiom? Mine works well (very well, actually, I love the thing) except for one niggling issue.

When I press the (mapped) 'rec' button on Mr. Axiom the rec icon in Live lights up only as long as it's pressed. I suppose it needs to be set to toggle but I'm not sure how to set it to do so. I think it did originally, but I suppose I've messed the settings.

Hoping someone who knows more about MIDI (or could at least comprehend some of the poo poo in the manual) can help me out.

I have an older maudio oxygen and it has preset modes that correspond to different DAWS, having this on the wrong setting throws buttons out of whack, see if the axiom has something similar.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does anyone else have difficulty making the modulation fx units (Chorus, Phaser and Flanger) sound like stompbox equivalents? I have been a guitar fx nerd for longer than I care to remember, (used Reason for a loooooooong time, moved onto Live about a year ago) but cannot make the mod fx in Live 8 sound like like I...expect(?) them to. I've messed around with the parameters loads, but nothing I do makes that 'classic' (ie Come As You Are) style chorus/mod sound.

Edit: I have Guitar Rig 4, but I want to squeeze as much out of Live as I can- the layout on the mod effect units looks promising but I just can't make it sound like anything other than a horrible comb filter.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 13, 2011

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Finally jumped ship from FL Studio to Live 8. I've gotta say, it's incredibly more streamlined and straight forward, but there's still some things I need to figure out. The stuff I'm writing already sounds better than it usually would in FL. My wallet is feeling a little empty though, god drat this thing is loving expensive.

pg2011
Feb 23, 2008

I can see clearly now
The brain is gone...

Edit: nevermind, I figured out my own problem. I was looking for something to export all my files to my external and Collect All and Save works perfectly. Everyone go back up your valuable live sets!

pg2011 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 14, 2011

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

phractured posted:

Yeah it's for a live set. So you would advise to split my songs up and have portions with repeat on? Or I just make a copy of every track and one will be a loop sample that I can just set to play next?
How you use Live is really up to you. Either way will work.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
So I own Live 8 and I've mostly been using it to sample, which it's great for. Now that I'm getting more into production though I'd like some instruments to play around with. I'm having trouble deciding whether I should upgrade to the boxed Ableton Suite and get the Essential Instruments Collection, or if I should get NI Komplete. Komplete clearly comes with more, but how would you guys rate the sound of its instruments compared to what I'd get with Suite? The sound quality is definitely more important to me than having 6 synths, 4 pianos, etc. I have used Guitar Rig before with a friend who plays, so I'm leaning a little more towards Komplete, but Suite would give me Amp which seems pretty comparable. Any advice and pros/cons, especially from people who own both would be much appreciated.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

SkandalousPanda posted:

So I own Live 8 and I've mostly been using it to sample, which it's great for. Now that I'm getting more into production though I'd like some instruments to play around with. I'm having trouble deciding whether I should upgrade to the boxed Ableton Suite and get the Essential Instruments Collection, or if I should get NI Komplete. Komplete clearly comes with more, but how would you guys rate the sound of its instruments compared to what I'd get with Suite? The sound quality is definitely more important to me than having 6 synths, 4 pianos, etc. I have used Guitar Rig before with a friend who plays, so I'm leaning a little more towards Komplete, but Suite would give me Amp which seems pretty comparable. Any advice and pros/cons, especially from people who own both would be much appreciated.

Ableton 8 + Komplete is pretty much a kickass loving combo. I would use Massive over Analog, and Fm8 over operator. Guitar rig destroys amp for sample processing.
Kontakt and all its patches and expansions make EIC useless IMO.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I agree. Live 8 + Komplete is killer. It's my setup! :)

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
m4l http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgIosccwlA0&feature=player_embedded!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

totally tight. Some nice tones in that.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

The synths and effects native to Live don't break out of the device chain, which is a major limitation in terms of functionality. You just can't take a synth like, say, Massive, and reduce it to the size of Analog or Operator. This is a design choice by Ableton, and one that makes sense when you consider that the guys at Ableton want to make effects and instruments that you can use on the fly, in order to create live and dynamic electronic music. For studio use, however, there are a multitude of manufacturers that have created virtual instruments that are far more powerful.

So, yeah, go with Komplete.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've ordered Komplete!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

drat, that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

WHERE IS THE CHANCELLOR?!

Anyone else get a goofy bug where the settings you saved on a preset included instrument don't load when you open your set? Like I'll have an instrument tuned with one of the main 8 macros to a level I like and I save the project and close. Let's say I move something from the default of 10% up to 80%.

The next day, I reopen the file and I can SEE that the macro is set properly to 80% where I last left it but when I play a clip the sound coming out is the default sound at 10%. As soon as I just click and make at least a 1 unit change (drag the same macro knob to 81%) it sounds right again. Then I can drag it back down to 80% and it's still fine.

It's only happened to me with one instrument and I can't figure it out. Not really terrible, just odd and annoying to have to "tap" that knob every time I load that set. Anyone else see this before?

Just got the Live Lite 8 version with my new audio interface. Hopefully upgrading to regular Live in a month or two. This program rules.