Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I'm a paralegal for a litigation division of a major insurance company. We had a single opening for an attorney and we had more than a few hundred applicants on the first day we put the position up. And by first day I mean they put the posting up for a few hours before they removed it due to volume. It's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Petey posted:

Wasn't 1987 a strike though? Have the players ever decertified for a lockout?

It started as a strike, the players lost the first case because of the exemption, they then decertified in 1989 and the case with Freeman McNeil was the one where they won after the decertification wiped out the exemption.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Abugadu posted:

The owners might have the ability to challenge the decertification, which would string things out.

But the players won the last trial after they decertified in the early 90's, so the tactic's worked once before.

The major downside:

Both times that there have been shortened seasons because of labor issues, the Redskins won the Super Bowl.

Edit: Probably wouldn't take that long, it'd get fast tracked for sure.

I didn't mean the players wouldn't win*, but I'm not sure decertifying would prevent a lockout. Maybe it would, but the Freeman McNeil case (which I think is what you're talking about) took years. I suspect the NFL and players will come to some understanding to resume playing before a suit gets fully litigated, if it comes to that.

*: I'm not sure that we can say either way. The owners are not currently violating antitrust laws because they and the players are governed by a CBA. When it expires, if the union decertifies, only then do antitrust laws start governing; theoretically, the owners could probably then start acting within the bounds of antitrust law. I don't expect them to do so, but I think it's technically possible.

e: To be clear, I'm just guessing on that last bit - this isn't my area at all, but I think my speculation makes sense.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 12, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

I'm a paralegal for a litigation division of a major insurance company. We had a single opening for an attorney and we had more than a few hundred applicants on the first day we put the position up. And by first day I mean they put the posting up for a few hours before they removed it due to volume. It's insane.

How did you decide which resumes to read and which to summarily throw away?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
My guess is that if it comes to a decertification & lawsuit, it'll be a lot like 1987: a few games of lockout before players agree to come back under temporary terms while the suit procedes. However, SCOTUS has been all over the place on this poo poo, so who knows.

It's a pretty weighty issue, and a little-publicized opinion this year called American Needle, which rejected the NFL's argument that they were a single entity and couldn't be colluding with itself, kept things balanced for a bit.

Fun related reading:

The McNeil fallout:
http://tech.mit.edu/V112/N39/nfl.39w.html

But see also:

Brown v. Pro Football, Inc., 518 U.S. 231 (1996). http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/95-388.ZO.html

(Brown is where we learned that without decertification, the players are hosed)

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

How did you decide which resumes to read and which to summarily throw away?

Honestly, from what the managing attorney told me was that she does a quick scan to see if a candidate meets a certain ability/experience threshold. If she can scan the resume and see that you meet those basic (and not too stringent in my opinion) requirements, she will browse the resume strictly for someone with "character". Each resume has not a lot of time to reveal those things to her to be honest.

She's obviously pretty loving good at it because I've liked every single person she's hired in the firm. We have a pretty amazing environment because of her ability to judge character. Seriously, you could go to Camp loving Nowhere Law School and if you showed you had the ability to evaluate cases and understand the law she would consider you if your resume showed you were a genuine individual. I think she values volunteer references more than any others as well.

Sorry if that doesn't provide any magic insight. It's probably different than most other firms as well.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Petey (and other interested parties) - the first big prof dick waving debate of the semester here at Boalt is on this very topic. I was planning on swinging by for a bit to check it out so if there's a specific question you or anyone else is interested in lemme know and I'll ask them.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

sigmachiev posted:

Petey (and other interested parties) - the first big prof dick waving debate of the semester here at Boalt is on this very topic. I was planning on swinging by for a bit to check it out so if there's a specific question you or anyone else is interested in lemme know and I'll ask them.

man i just want to know if the players will be able to sue-strap their way into a football season next year.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

man i just want to know if the players will be able to sue-strap their way into a football season next year.

Lawsuits take time, even when you win. Even if they have a slam-dunk case, probably not.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Petey posted:

I hope a new League of Their Own situation comes up. Maybe the loser Dolphins can be replaced by the Miami Caliente who can actually win home games.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I've been procrastinating with applying for 1L summer jobs because I figure that grades will be posted any day now. Should I just go on ahead with applications or is it ok to wait for my grades to come out? Would employers even bother looking at me before I send in my transcript? The ones I want to apply for have deadlines that end in February.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

I've been procrastinating with applying for 1L summer jobs because I figure that grades will be posted any day now. Should I just go on ahead with applications or is it ok to wait for my grades to come out? Would employers even bother looking at me before I send in my transcript? The ones I want to apply for have deadlines that end in February.

Eek. You should have done this already. Do it now and tell them that grades are pending and will be forwarded once you have them.

Since it sounds like you want some non-private sector interest you might still have a good shot. Don't worry but get to it.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Holland Oats posted:

Yeah, don't think that the employer will wait until the end of February, and then review all of the applications then. The earlier you apply, the better.

Mr.Almighty
Feb 8, 2007

by angerbeet
Just got called up from a collection agency apparently they had tried reaching me numerous times via cellphone quite a few times. I just talked to one of their representatives and tried to make a monthly payment plan of 200 dollars a month. However, they said that it's too late and they want the whole lump of 2000 dollars as soon as possible. I do not have that kind of money to just give away like that. They are now threatening to send a police officer down and serve me and are telling me I will have to owe around 5000 dollars in court costs and legal fees.

Also to clarify: I owed Best Buy 700$ for a laptop back in 2007. I went to jail for a year and a half and lost a decent job. Now the 700$ added up to 2000$ apparently from the interests and what not from what the representative told me.

Can I get some legal advice please? Are they bullshitting or being honest?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Mr.Almighty posted:

Just got called up from a collection agency apparently they had tried reaching me numerous times via cellphone quite a few times. I just talked to one of their representatives and tried to make a monthly payment plan of 200 dollars a month. However, they said that it's too late and they want the whole lump of 2000 dollars as soon as possible. I do not have that kind of money to just give away like that. They are now threatening to send a police officer down and serve me and are telling me I will have to owe around 5000 dollars in court costs and legal fees.

Also to clarify: I owed Best Buy 700$ for a laptop back in 2007. I went to jail for a year and a half and lost a decent job. Now the 700$ added up to 2000$ apparently from the interests and what not from what the representative told me.

Can I get some legal advice please? Are they bullshitting or being honest?

Wrong thread but that sounds like some FDCPA violations.

Mr.Almighty
Feb 8, 2007

by angerbeet

Roger_Mudd posted:

Wrong thread but that sounds like some FDCPA violations.

Doh! Thought this was the legal advice megathread, I apologize!

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Feces Starship posted:

Eek. You should have done this already. Do it now and tell them that grades are pending and will be forwarded once you have them.

Since it sounds like you want some non-private sector interest you might still have a good shot. Don't worry but get to it.

Gotcha. What threw me off is places like the SDNY USAO site that requires a transcript with your application but doesn't say what to do if you don't have your grades yet. Even for places like that, should I just send in my application anyway?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Holland Oats posted:

Gotcha. What threw me off is places like the SDNY USAO site that requires a transcript with your application but doesn't say what to do if you don't have your grades yet. Even for places like that, should I just send in my application anyway?

I've just been saying that since we haven't finished exams, it's not available yet. Joke's on them, I won't get my (non) grades til like April.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Warszawa posted:

I've just been saying that since we haven't finished exams, it's not available yet. Joke's on them, I won't get my (non) grades til like April.

Yeah, but you get cold called with job offers unlike the rest of us peons. I feel like I may be going the way of Adar. I deposited some money in full tilt since I'm snowed in and I've had a pretty good run so far.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Omerta posted:

Yeah, but you get cold called with job offers unlike the rest of us peons. I feel like I may be going the way of Adar. I deposited some money in full tilt since I'm snowed in and I've had a pretty good run so far.

Just interviews. That job actually didn't pan out - they were going with me until a 3L with relevant experience swooped in and snatched it from me. Considering that it was usually a 2L job, I feel accomplished.

That fucker.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Holland Oats posted:

I'd say send it in now for sure. I have a friend that I think was at the SDNY USAO (it was definitely a USAO in NY, but I could be wrong on SDNY) and he applied December 1 and had the job before Christmas.
e: Just checked our job forms, and it was SDNY criminal prosecution.

Grammar Fascist fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 13, 2011

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

How did your friend like it?? I think that SDNY criminal prosecution is my overall top choice.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Holland Oats posted:

How did your friend like it?? I think that SDNY criminal prosecution is my overall top choice.

I don't want to piss on your parade and you should definitely apply, but they tell us that if you're not in in like December (closer to the first), you're screwed.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Oh well. At least I got an app in to the Manhattan DA's office early. Guess I'll start sending out a lot more apps out.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Holland Oats posted:

Oh well. At least I got an app in to the Manhattan DA's office early. Guess I'll start sending out a lot more apps out.

Yeah that's the one I forgot to send out. At least I've got an interview lined up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

I've been procrastinating with applying for 1L summer jobs because I figure that grades will be posted any day now.

I did that. It was the biggest mistake I made in law school.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I did too. I ended up working as a research assistant and spent the summer in London. In retrospect, it was the most fun I had in law school, but it was a mistake career-wise.

Holland Oats posted:

Definitely send the apps out, but don't get too down on yourself. The summer after 1L is mainly just fodder for conversation during OCI anyway. If you can make yourself interesting it shouldn't have too huge of an impact.

Take that with a grain of salt though, as it looks like you're interested in criminal law and I have no idea how that hiring process works.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Linguica should put something about that in the OP so our misfortune will not go in vain.

Just how late am I if I send out stuff today? And in general, how many apps do people send out for 1L summer? I'm only sticking to jobs I'd actually want to do right now but if I really am screwed, I guess I need to widen the net.

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 13, 2011

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Holland Oats posted:

Linguica should put something about that in the OP so our misfortune will not go in vain.

Just how late am I if I send out stuff today? And in general, how many apps do people send out for this? I'm only sticking to jobs I'd actually want to do right now but if I really am screwed, I guess I need to widen the net.

I've been sending poo poo out in a trickle - to be fair, you're not that screwed. A lot of the more namey places (SDNY, EDNY) will be done hiring but I sent an e-mail two days ago to a fairly prominent organization and am currently scheduling an interview with them.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I spent 6 straight hours court today in a settlement conference. My cell phone magically turned on and rang 5 hours and 57 minutes in. Best case scenario: I was hoping that the bailiff would just pull out his gun and shoot me, worst case: the judge would call me an inconsiderate fool, take my phone and tell me never to appear in her courtroom again.

Instead she said nothing and just let it go. Now I fear that she has decided to harbor a secret grudge and punish me covertly for the rest of my career.

Good times.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
You're not boned, Holland, but you will asymptotically approach boned if you begin waiting another week. Use the time before school starts next Tuesday and just get it done.

if u know who i am and u need any advice, email me (i don't know if we've met at the school before face to face)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ersatz posted:

I did too. I ended up working as a research assistant and spent the summer in London. In retrospect, it was the most fun I had in law school, but it was a mistake career-wise.
Strangely, I did the same thing and worked a marginally legal job. The networking I got was actually the best and has a slim chance of getting me a job.
Still a big loving mistake.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Feces Starship posted:

You're not boned, Holland, but you will asymptotically approach boned if you begin waiting another week. Use the time before school starts next Tuesday and just get it done.

if u know who i am and u need any advice, email me (i don't know if we've met at the school before face to face)

I got the fear of god put into me and sent out six apps today so that's a start, I guess.

I'll make sure to email you if I have any questions but I unfortunately don't know who you are. What's your email address?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

I got the fear of god put into me and sent out six apps today so that's a start, I guess.

I'll make sure to email you if I have any questions but I unfortunately don't know who you are. What's your email address?

*zerp*

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 13, 2011

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Got it.

Also, should I go through the NYU Public Interest Fair's site for jobs or just contact the employers there on my own to see if I can set something up sooner?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

Got it.

Also, should I go through the NYU Public Interest Fair's site for jobs or just contact the employers there on my own to see if I can set something up sooner?

Contacting employers on your own is never a bad idea in my experience unless it's specifically said somewhere never to do so.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
Well I'll be damned. The registrar just released the cutoff for the top 10%. Due to a slight optional increase in the allowable curve, a 3.81 ended up the top 10% of Cornell's 1L class. My 3.77 would have been in the top 10% any semester except this one.

Well gently caress. Somehow the "top 15%" or whatever it might be doesn't sound quite as awesome.

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 13, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lilosh posted:

Well I'll be damned. The registrar just released the cutoff for the top 10%. Due to a slight optional increase in the allowable curve, a 3.81 ended up the top 10% of Cornell's 1L class. My 3.77 would have been in the top 10% any semester except this one.

Well gently caress. Somehow the "top 15%" or whatever it might be doesn't sound quite as awesome.
gently caress you anyhow

I rode the curve like the cool kids.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Feces Starship posted:

I waited until March to look and got offered a paying job at the local power company because the GC there was a procrastinator like me and didn't advertise the job until everybody else already had something lined up.

I turned it down to volunteer at the city attorney's office because I am dumb and a masochist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Unemployed cyberlaw goons:

http://www.themediaconsortium.org/jobs/

quote:

Job Description
Where: Telecommute
Status: Freelance blogger/buzz-builder for bi-weekly media policy news summary blogs.
Who: The Media Consortium
Compensation: Bi-weekly stipend of $150 for approx. 10 hours/every other week ($15/hour)
Contract: Starts Feb. 10-May 30, with potential for renewal

The Media Consortium, a network of leading progressive independent journalism organizations, announces a freelance blogging position for a web and independent media savvy journalist with strong background in media policy.

The blogger will play a key role in The Media Consortium’s Media Policy Reporting and Education Pilot Program (MPREPP), an aggregation and distribution initiative intended to spotlight media policy as an issue that is vital to our democracy. Click here for more background on the project.

Media policy is a broad umbrella for many critical issues, including access to information and the protection and advancement of information’s creation and dissemination. Furthermore, as the technology landscape advances, so does the fight to control and own media. There are also many aspects of media policy that impact journalism business models, free speech and community information needs. Despite its wide reach, media policy can often be cast as complicated and highly technical, and very little reporting about media policy focuses on the real impact of the issue on the ground.

To help change the public conversation and understanding of media policy, The MPREPP blogger will write a bi-weekly, syndicated “best of” roundups highlighting exemplary reporting, breaking news, and untold stories from the world of media policy produced by Media Consortium members. The blogger will also report on various actions and information generated by advocacy groups working on media policy issues. Blog posts will be based on content from TMC members and partner organizations. Articles and blog posts written by Media Consortium bloggers are featured in leading blogs and progressive journalism outlets across the country.

Job requirements include:

Writing one, bi-weekly blog of 800-900 words that rounds up key stories about media policy for syndication across the net.
Using social networking tools such as Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter to draw attention to weekly posts/blog.
Helping identify online communities and sites to promote and place blog posts.
Joining scheduled conference calls with Media Consortium staff to plan outreach and coverage. Blogger will also participate in briefing calls between members and a range of experts on media policy to share tips, stories ideas, trends, etc.
Qualifications:

At least 2 years experience as an issue-based blogger, reporter or like equivalent.
Familiarity with progressive media organizations and the political/issue-based blogging community.
Comfortable with the concept of adding multimedia elements to reporting.
Self-starter and team player with a sense of humor.
Fabulous with deadlines.
Note that this is a contract position. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and links to your work to: erin@themediaconsortium.com by Wednesday, Jan 26. Applications sent after Jan. 26 will not be reviewed. No phone calls please. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.