Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I disliked the prequels because (in addition to every other reason) they made Star Wars all about the jedi. Even now they're basically all that gets talked about. But when I was 8 I gave no shits about jedi or the force or any of that, for me Star Wars was 100% about the space ships. Basically the X-Wing is the coolest thing to ever come out of Star Wars, utterly iconic. But then in the PT every movie gets a new set of space ships to have more toys to sell to show progression of technology, but they all look dumb and none of them stand out or are memorable at all. The PT should have just had new, freshly painted X-Wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
I think that is the overall point people are making, it is not just the characters that are easily forgettable, but every ship was one of a thousand out there. In the OT the Millennium Falcon was a character in itself. Boba Fett's ship, pretty bad rear end (okay they injected it into the PT) Darth's TIE fighter was different from all of the others, so it seemed to be special.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Saveron_01 posted:

I think that is the overall point people are making, it is not just the characters that are easily forgettable, but every ship was one of a thousand out there. In the OT the Millennium Falcon was a character in itself. Boba Fett's ship, pretty bad rear end (okay they injected it into the PT) Darth's TIE fighter was different from all of the others, so it seemed to be special.

Padme's ships were all pretty unique. Shiny, too.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
At last, an accurate thread title.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Thread sucks now, stop writing fanfiction.

Saveron_01 posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Evan

what....what?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Traavis :suicide:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was only a matter of time and bitching before we got this title.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fine, whiny babies, we'll stop talking about how we'd actually make it better. Let's go back to simply bitching about what's wrong. But I'll remember to not make any suggestions for improvement.

(I'm only half serious with my sarcasm. I guess the fanfiction had kind of taken over, so sorry about that.)

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was only a matter of time and bitching before we got this title.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long. We totally deserve it.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Why is Luke even a name that exists in a galaxy far, far away?

Luke S. = Lucas

That's why.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

thrawn527 posted:

Fine, whiny babies, we'll stop talking about how we'd actually make it better. Let's go back to simply bitching about what's wrong. But I'll remember to not make any suggestions for improvement.

(I'm only half serious with my sarcasm. I guess the fanfiction had kind of taken over, so sorry about that.)

The suggestions were always worse.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Oh poo poo, did I do that?

Sorry, guys...

Soooo, yeah. Star Wars.

Ok, here's a geeky Star Wars question. Did anyone in the Imperial navy ever raise any sort of complaint with Vader over the murder of senior officers?

In the films we see him threaten some kind of Moff and actually murder a Star Destroyer captain and a freaking Admiral! These are jobs that take years of dedicated service and more than a little intelligence to get. Admirals are valuable! Did he seriously get away with killing one over a relatively minor mistake and field promoting the guy next to him?

Edit:
VV I'm the guy who started off the whole rewrite prequels fan-wankery thing.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 12, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bene Elim posted:

Did anyone in the Imperial navy ever raise any sort of complaint with Vader over the murder of senior officers?

In the films we see him threaten some kind of Moff and actually murder a Star Destroyer captain and a freaking Admiral! These are jobs that take years of dedicated service and more than a little intelligence to get. Admirals are valuable! Did he seriously get away with killing one over a relatively minor mistake and field promoting the guy next to him?

Would you be the guy who complained?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Here's another geeky question: does Anakin's ghost ever show up in the EU? I kind of just always assumed he wouldn't show up again after that one time with Luke, and he would have to work off his lifetime of bad deeds first.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Luke S. = Lucas

That's why.

Stop being rational, you're ruining my fun :colbert:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

DorianGravy posted:

Here's another geeky question: does Anakin's ghost ever show up in the EU? I kind of just always assumed he wouldn't show up again after that one time with Luke, and he would have to work off his lifetime of bad deeds first.
He shows up to Leia one time. She bitches him out about what a tool he was and how she'll never forgive him for the things he did, and that saving Luke was the one good thing he'd ever done.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Doesn't he also show up at the end of the NJO? I vaguely remember him talking to Jacen during the fight with Onimi.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

For any fans of the FX show Justified (one of the best shows on TV), I just saw a teaser for season two. It went something like this:

Raylan is sitting across from (presumably) a bad guy. Raylan asks if the guy knows what this reminds him of. Raylan tells him it reminds him of Star Wars. Then he says, "Did you know that in the original version, Han Solo shot first? But then they changed it so the bad guy shot first." Bad guy stares at Raylan. Very quick jump cut to black as they both draw.

Awesome.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Saveron_01 posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Evan

what....what?

Even better is this guy linked from that page: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Traavis

Jedi Master Bongwater says "Hey man, can I crash on your couch?"

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Jedi Master Bongwater says "Hey man, can I crash on your couch?"

I didn't read about Traavis, but I could totally get behind Jedi Master Bongwater.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Bene Elim posted:

Ok, here's a geeky Star Wars question. Did anyone in the Imperial navy ever raise any sort of complaint with Vader over the murder of senior officers?

Would you have filed a complaint?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

that awful man posted:

Would you have filed a complaint?

And who would they have complained to? I mean, wasn't Vader the second-in-command of the entire Empire?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

And who would they have complained to? I mean, wasn't Vader the second-in-command of the entire Empire?

Unions are a hell of a thing.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

RagnarokAngel posted:

Unions are a hell of a thing.

Like the Emperor and Vader are going to stand for that.

Actually, someone make this fan fiction. Someone tries to start an Imperial Union and the Emperor and Vader wreck the poo poo of all of the union leaders.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?

VaultAggie posted:

Doesn't he also show up at the end of the NJO? I vaguely remember him talking to Jacen during the fight with Onimi.

That anakin was jacens brother. iirc

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Bene Elim posted:

This was a plot point in one of the Marvel SW comics. The Imperial officers on a superweapon called the Tarkin (really) got tired of Vader choking them for making mistakes, so they decided to kill him.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Putting aside the prequel hate fanfics for now, there were a series of comics called Infinites that explored what-if? scenerios for Star Wars. What if Luke missed the Death Star shot, what if Luke died on Hoth, what if Vader turned Leia instead, etc.

They were interesting concepts, if not well written.

None were ever done for the prequels, which sort of saddens me--there is great storyline potential there for What-if scenarios for the entire universe. Not fanfic here you rewrite the stories, but explore what happens if that single nail trips up Obi-Wan. I.e. Just imagine how the saga would've unfolded if Qui-Gon lived and Obi-Wan died. Or Padme didn't survive the Clone Wars. Or Anakin actually died in combat with Obi-Wan.

I wonder why they never made Infinites for the prequels? Easy sellers, I'd think.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

happy cabbage posted:

That anakin was jacens brother. iirc

And thus we have the reason why Lucas decided to kill Anakin Solo off. Too much confusion!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Hemp Knight posted:

This was a plot point in one of the Marvel SW comics. The Imperial officers on a superweapon called the Tarkin (really) got tired of Vader choking them for making mistakes, so they decided to kill him.

Which of course led to this thing of beauty:

I can't remember who, but someone in the previous two threads dubbed this the Mofference

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nucleic Acids posted:

No more than the head of White House Security is second-in-command of America, I think.

...I guess the analogy isn't perfect, but my point is, Vader is an agent, not an administrator or a commander (though I bet he has some rank). Tarkin (presumably a local system governor?) was in charge of him.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

Vader is an agent, not an administrator or a commander (though I bet he has some rank).

Supreme commander :smug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doc Hawkins posted:

No more than the head of White House Security is second-in-command of America, I think.

...I guess the analogy isn't perfect, but my point is, Vader is an agent, not an administrator or a commander (though I bet he has some rank). Tarkin (presumably a local system governor?) was in charge of him.

Tarkin was in charge on the Death Star, but it's always been a little murky who ranked higher in the Empire. I think it depended on the situation. Not to mention, when he was killing the officers in ESB, this was after the disaster of the Death Star, after which I think he was given more control. The point is, by the time ESB came around, Vader was outranked only by the Emperor itself.

And yeah, the analogy isn't perfect, because the head of White House Security is in no way as powerful as Darth Vader. The Empire rules with an iron fist, with no checks or balances. They answer to no one, because the Senate was dissolved. Vader can do whatever he wants, and the only thing stopping him is if it pisses off the Emperor, or if all the officers get together to stop him. But the latter isn't really likely, as they're all scared shitless of him (above picture not-withstanding).

It's also worth noting that in the original draft of ROTJ, the commander who met Vader at the beginning on the second Death Star was a Grand Moff, and had a much larger role. (He may have still been a Grand Moff in the final product, but it wasn't mentioned and didn't matter.) He outranked Vader, and was undermining him the entire movie. But that was cut out by the time they got to filming, so it doesn't count.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Wampus42 posted:

Which of course led to this thing of beauty:

I can't remember who, but someone in the previous two threads dubbed this the Mofference

Actually that's from the Classic Star Wars series set between ANH and ESB, published first as a newspaper strip and later by Dark Horse Comics. Those are Admirals, not Moffs, and they're rebelling against the construction of Vader's Super Star Destroyer the Executor, which they try to help the Rebellion sabotage. It turns out to be a trap though - Admiral Griff the ringleader is working with Vader to weed out traitors.

Sorry for the nerdy correction. I actually think the post you're replying to is thinking about this rather than the destruction of the Tarkin, which is in the Marvel series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DougieFFC posted:

Actually that's from the Classic Star Wars series set between ANH and ESB, published first as a newspaper strip and later by Dark Horse Comics. Those are Admirals, not Moffs, and they're rebelling against the construction of Vader's Super Star Destroyer the Executor, which they try to help the Rebellion sabotage. It turns out to be a trap though - Admiral Griff the ringleader is working with Vader to weed out traitors.

Sorry for the nerdy correction. I actually think the post you're replying to is thinking about this rather than the destruction of the Tarkin, which is in the Marvel series.

You're right. This is a Mofference:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thrawn527 posted:

It's also worth noting that in the original draft of ROTJ, the commander who met Vader at the beginning on the second Death Star was a Grand Moff, and had a much larger role. (He may have still been a Grand Moff in the final product, but it wasn't mentioned and didn't matter.) He outranked Vader, and was undermining him the entire movie. But that was cut out by the time they got to filming, so it doesn't count.

His name was Moff Jerjerrod and that sounds really neat but I think would've obfuscated the movie with a subplot. I only know his name from the card game and I feel ashamed that I can recall it all these years afterwards.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fox of Stone posted:

His name was Moff Jerjerrod and that sounds really neat but I think would've obfuscated the movie with a subplot. I only know his name from the card game and I feel ashamed that I can recall it all these years afterwards.

Yeah, that's his name, thanks. I couldn't remember. I wrote up a longer description of the differences between the first draft of ROTJ and the final version in the last thread (which I can repost of anyone wants it) but Jerjerrod was a foil for Vader, who wasn't entirely a bad guy in that version. He was conflicted for far longer than he was in the filmed version, and ends up killing Jerjerrod. The whole thing is an interesting idea, but that version gets really weird, with the Force ghosts getting way more involved, showing up and freaking out the Emperor. The second draft has Obi-Wan showing back up in the flesh, not as a ghost. Weird poo poo I'm not sure would have really worked. My post is in the old thread, but I can go find it and repost it here if anyone is curious.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

DougieFFC posted:

It turns out to be a trap though - Admiral Griff the ringleader is working with Vader to weed out traitors.

This isn't really connected, I just want to point out that Griff had the absolute stupidest/most hilarious death in Star Wars history:

Seriously, if anyone hasn't checked out Marvel Star Wars yet, I urge you to do it. It's the exact level of stupidity required for a good Star Wars story.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 12, 2011

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

You're right. This is a Mofference:

Grand Moff Stalin on the left there.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Grand Moff Stalin on the left there.

You know, I've seen that picture before and not noticed it, but you're completely right - that actually is a dead-on caricature of Josef Stalin.

What the gently caress?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that's his name, thanks. I couldn't remember. I wrote up a longer description of the differences between the first draft of ROTJ and the final version in the last thread (which I can repost of anyone wants it) but Jerjerrod was a foil for Vader, who wasn't entirely a bad guy in that version. He was conflicted for far longer than he was in the filmed version, and ends up killing Jerjerrod. The whole thing is an interesting idea, but that version gets really weird, with the Force ghosts getting way more involved, showing up and freaking out the Emperor. The second draft has Obi-Wan showing back up in the flesh, not as a ghost. Weird poo poo I'm not sure would have really worked. My post is in the old thread, but I can go find it and repost it here if anyone is curious.
Rather much. Was the first draft entirely Lucas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm sure this has been discussed at some point in some way, but I've done a lot of thought since the prequels came out about how I would do them. I was a film student at the time so I felt I had a certain prerogative.

Anyway, I don't think like that now, I simply like to ponder on it.

I would do away with the plot of Episode 1 and most of 2, and start my Episode one right where Episode 2 ends. Except, where I would do it, Anakin and Padme are not getting married at the end. Instead, their love blossoms through conflict of the war.

Anakin's past would be revealed as he is quickly growing in power, and slowly falling towards the dark side. The movies would end around the same place.

The pro's of doing it this way are as such:

1. Anakin and Padme's love doesn't seem some contrived. She has a logical and feasible reason to fall in love with him instead of going from calling him a boy one minute to all up on him another just because they spend time in a home. Instead, Padme can see through Anakin's heroics that he really has grown up. Prolly saves her and all that jazz. Standard movie reasons to fall in love.

2. The stories are compelling and full of conflict. Episode one was a low point for the series, not because of its cheese factor and introduction of many things that were black holed in the minds of fans, but because really nothing happened. Sure they find Anakin and Darth Maul arrives, but finding Anakin wasn't very exciting and Darth Maul could easily be transplanted to anywhere in the timeline. Starting it when the Clone wars begin gives a tone opportunity for awesome war drama.

3. The clone wars cartoons were awesome, and some of those stories could have been put into the movie. Furthermore, the whole kidnapping of Palpatine was much more interesting than the large gap between 2 and 3, due to 2's ending.