Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Anders posted:

Harry the Heir is next in line for the Iron Throne if Stannis die and Tommen and Myrcellas incest heritage is belived by the rest of the houses. Hench "the Heir"

Yeah, but who is he? Why is he the Heir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Anders posted:

Harry the Heir is next in line for the Iron Throne if Stannis die and Tommen and Myrcellas incest heritage is belived by the rest of the houses. Hench "the Heir"

Yes, we have.

What? No he's not. He's next in line for the Eryie, since House Arryn is without any suitable heirs except for everyone's favorite Sweetrobin and he's not likely to last much longer under Big Poppa littlefinger. Harry is the heir because the Arryn family has had lots of sons and daughters that died under unfortunate circumstances, were disowned, or proved infertile. Hence Harry, this guy who seems only tangentially related to the house, is in line to get the whole thing because the rest of the Arryn line is so hosed up that he picks it up for default. He's not in line for the Iron Throne, Stannis's daughter and a long line of other people would be more likely to pick up the throne before Harry would.

Harry is important because Littlefinger wants the Eyrie and knows he can't hold it since Lysa is dead, so his plan is to get Sansa on his side, marry her to the heir to the Eyrie (Harry) and then reveal she's a Stark so he sits pretty as Petyr Baelish, Lord of Harrenhal, Protector of the Lady of the Eyrie and Winterfell (and who knows what the hell else).

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Rootbeer Baron posted:

What? No he's not. He's next in line for the Eryie, since House Arryn is without any suitable heirs except for everyone's favorite Sweetrobin and he's not likely to last much longer under Big Poppa littlefinger. Harry is the heir because the Arryn family has had lots of sons and daughters that died under unfortunate circumstances, were disowned, or proved infertile. Hence Harry, this guy who seems only tangentially related to the house, is in line to get the whole thing because the rest of the Arryn line is so hosed up that he picks it up for default. He's not in line for the Iron Throne, Stannis's daughter and a long line of other people would be more likely to pick up the throne before Harry would.

Harry is important because Littlefinger wants the Eyrie and knows he can't hold it since Lysa is dead, so his plan is to get Sansa on his side, marry her to the heir to the Eyrie (Harry) and then reveal she's a Stark so he sits pretty as Petyr Baelish, Lord of Harrenhal, Protector of the Lady of the Eyrie and Winterfell (and who knows what the hell else).

Ahhh, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks. It really does put Littlefinger in a fantastic position to rule a very large portion of the kingdom

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Jokes on him when the girl he's trained to be a villainous snake turns on him in the end to claim it all for herself.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Haraksha posted:

Jokes on him when the girl he's trained to be a villainous snake turns on him in the end to claim it all for herself.

Except that that will never happen because grrm is going to die soon

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
AFFC I think: It's been a long time since I read that piece of poo poo so Did Beric die? Because if so, then gently caress Cat, that bitch.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Too many black bars! Can we get back to the weekly readalong updates for SoS?

Either way, I'm only about a third of the way through SoS and Dany just bought the Unsullied. Her POVs are starting to really drag. I'm hoping her and Mance Rayder form a Fantasy Creature Alliance.

It's also getting hard to root for the Starks. King Robb is losing battles, losing friends, and breaking marriage vows. I can't see where he goes from here.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

bigmcgaffney posted:

AFFC I think: It's been a long time since I read that piece of poo poo so Did Beric die?

According to Thoros yes, he died reviving Cat. Thoros wouldn't do it, so Beric revived her himself and "his light went out of the world" or some such

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

Anders posted:

Yes, we have.

I guess we just disagree. I don't think that GRRM would Introduce a character, give him two lines of dialog, then mention him repeatedly as 'missing' and mention that Jon Snow 'refused to believe his uncle was dead' through the next three books if he'd just decided to write him out of the series.

One way or another, he'll close that thread so that Benjen Stark's fate is known.

Provided he doesn't die of urinary tract e-coli first.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

therapy posted:

I guess we just disagree. I don't think that GRRM would Introduce a character, give him two lines of dialog, then mention him repeatedly as 'missing' and mention that Jon Snow 'refused to believe his uncle was dead' through the next three books if he'd just decided to write him out of the series.

One way or another, he'll close that thread so that Benjen Stark's fate is known.

Provided he doesn't die of urinary tract e-coli first.

You assume GRRM will write another book. Silly you.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."

scr0llwheel posted:

I long ago ran out of time to cook those up every week, and anyone else who might have been interested in contributing was otherwise occupied.

I might have been able to churn out a book's worth of updates between the end of Fall semester and the upcoming Spring semester, but instead I have enjoyed the luxury of sleep, and the absence of thought. Also, I took the opportunity to read for pleasure again, and tore through Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

My last post on the topic of updates was more or less indicating this was now a free-form series discussion, but with use of spoiler tags (preferably indicating what it spoils, e.g. " ... aCoK:Stannis says some awesome poo poo. ... ").

Though if enough of you really want to start up the Storm of Swords read through, by all means! I'll participate, of course, but I just simply can't produce the updates any more.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Zombie Lincoln posted:

I long ago ran out of time to cook those up every week...

... but instead I have enjoyed the luxury of sleep, and the absence of thought....

... I just simply can't produce the updates any more.

Read not the GRRM, lest ye become a GRRM. When you stare into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you...

(i'm just funning ya, ZL)

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

scr0llwheel posted:

It's also getting hard to root for the Starks. King Robb is losing battles, losing friends, and breaking marriage vows. I can't see where he goes from here.

Don't worry about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah scr0llwheel, sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride not having any idea what's going to happen. Who knows, GRRM might surprise you.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

scr0llwheel posted:

Either way, I'm only about a third of the way through SoS and Dany just bought the Unsullied. Her POVs are starting to really drag. I'm hoping her and Mance Rayder form a Fantasy Creature Alliance.

Go team Robb :colbert:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Zombie Lincoln posted:

I long ago ran out of time to cook those up every week, and anyone else who might have been interested in contributing was otherwise occupied.

I might have been able to churn out a book's worth of updates between the end of Fall semester and the upcoming Spring semester, but instead I have enjoyed the luxury of sleep, and the absence of thought. Also, I took the opportunity to read for pleasure again, and tore through Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

My last post on the topic of updates was more or less indicating this was now a free-form series discussion, but with use of spoiler tags (preferably indicating what it spoils, e.g. " ... aCoK:Stannis says some awesome poo poo. ... ").

Though if enough of you really want to start up the Storm of Swords read through, by all means! I'll participate, of course, but I just simply can't produce the updates any more.

If you don't want to write specific chapters updates, maybe you can just declare aCoK doesn't need spoiled anymore, then after enough time for people to read aSoS say that it doesn't need spoiled anymore?

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Yadoppsi posted:

If you don't want to write specific chapters updates, maybe you can just declare aCoK doesn't need spoiled anymore, then after enough time for people to read aSoS say that it doesn't need spoiled anymore?

Well, aCoK was finished, so it's kind of like that right now.

I kind of prefer the spoiler-tags-with-what-is-being-spoilered designation. Otherwise this thread then becomes more like the other thread, and new readers are spoiled for sport and pleasure. This thread, aside from the read along, was meant as, more or less, a "safe" place for new readers to discuss the books.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I just finished the ASoS wedding of Edmure. I hate GRRM, I hate him so.

scr0llwheel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
So I finally caved in and read the three a Dance with Dragons preview chapters.

The Theon chapter was really disturbing. drat GRRM, didn't know you had it in you.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

scr0llwheel posted:

I just finished the ASoS wedding of Edmure. I hate GRRM, I hate him so.

I told you not to worry!!

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Yeah I read books. posted:

I told you not to worry!!

It hurts even more now. So, time to switch to Stannis?

I'm pretty interested in the fight for the North. With Robb legitimizing Jon (Will his lords honor that? Did they even survive the wedding massacre?), the northmen might rally around Jon; the Lannisters believe Sansa is next in line and named Bolton the Warden; nobody knows Bran and Rickon are still alive; Stannis is vying for Robb's bannermen; and the Greyjoys still claim the North.

And I take back everything I said about Daenerys. She's a badass.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

scr0llwheel posted:

It hurts even more now. So, time to switch to Stannis?

I'm pretty interested in the fight for the North. .

You'll find out the answers to these questions when everyone else does. never because in FfC fuckall of importance happens

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I've read the books on Kindle and was really surprised when I saw them in a bookstore. It turns out FFC is the thickest in the series. Felt like loving 200 pages to me.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

mcustic posted:

I've read the books on Kindle and was really surprised when I saw them in a bookstore. It turns out FFC is the thickest in the series. Felt like loving 200 pages to me.

A Storm of Swords is, Feast just has longer chapters.

ASoS:
973 (US Hardback), 976 (UK Hardback), 1216 (US Paperback)

AFfC:
704 (UK hardback), 753 (US hardback), 1104 (US paperback)

Now, it might be possible that in your market, A Storm of Swords was split into two volumes.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Zombie Lincoln posted:

A Storm of Swords is, Feast just has longer chapters.

ASoS:
973 (US Hardback), 976 (UK Hardback), 1216 (US Paperback)

AFfC:
704 (UK hardback), 753 (US hardback), 1104 (US paperback)

Now, it might be possible that in your market, A Storm of Swords was split into two volumes.

It might be. Or I was blinded by rage at the fact that FFC doesn't really have any actual content .

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

mcustic posted:

It might be. Or I was blinded by rage at the fact that FFC doesn't really have any actual content .

You must have missed the note at the end. The content is almost done!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Kainser posted:

So I finally caved in and read the three a Dance with Dragons preview chapters.

The Theon chapter was really disturbing. drat GRRM, didn't know you had it in you.

Yeah I read that just last week and was kind of blown away by how creepy it was. I don't think GRRMs a bad writer or anything (when he writes hurf durf durf) but that chapter definitely went above and beyond the call of duty.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I read ASoS chapters 59-63 last night with Joffrey's wedding and death, Sansa's escape, and Jamie's return home. Great stuff and I'm really looking forward to finishing the last twenty chapters this weekend.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

X-post: Here are some selected stills from westeros.org of the trailer:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

That throne is pretty incredible.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
That's an awesome trailer.

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Who is this dude?

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

scr0llwheel posted:

That's an awesome trailer.

Who is this dude?

Tommy Carcetti, Governor of Maryland. Also Littlefinger.

Bizob fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 17, 2011

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Conduit for Sale! posted:

That throne is pretty incredible.

I was thinking the opposite, I'm actually rather disappointed with how it looks. I imagined something much more grand

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah I read books. posted:

I was thinking the opposite, I'm actually rather disappointed with how it looks. I imagined something much more grand

Me too. I was thinking shiny. But maybe it's better this way. The game of thrones is a vicious, dark story, so the throne should represent that.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I liked this one better, it looks more dangerous :shobon:

Click here for the full 504x652 image.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Vanadium posted:

I liked this one better, it looks more dangerous :shobon:

Click here for the full 504x652 image.

While that has always been one of my favorite pictures, Komarck took some liberties with the number of Westerosi kings & lords using scimitars.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Clearly the swords just got all bendy when they were heated up to be fused together. :colbert:

manguero
Jul 5, 2009
Clearly Westeros was a Middle East analogue before it was a Europe analogue. :aaa:

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I just finished A Storm of Swords. Last chapter: "Who the hell is this guy and why do I ca-- HOLY poo poo OH MY GOD"

I'll post more detailed thoughts tomorrow. Amazing series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

scr0llwheel posted:

I just finished A Storm of Swords. Last chapter: "Who the hell is this guy and why do I ca-- HOLY poo poo OH MY GOD"

I'll post more detailed thoughts tomorrow. Amazing series.

If it weren't for the upcoming TV show, those reactions would be the only pleasure I derive from the books anymore.

Well, that and the hate thread.

• Locked thread