Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I remember Tatyana Ali, as a young girl in the eighties, on some TV show saying her name over and over again. I thought it was on that The Cosby Show when Stevie Wonder has a sampling keyboard but IMDB says she was only on one TCS in a Rudy-centric episode about a school dance as "girl".
It says she was on Sesame Street a bunch, but I really don't think I watched that show at that time unless it was on incidentally.
Anyone have any idea what I'm thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm about to buy a used Kindle and they claim it's the 2nd generation Kindle..but it's graphite. Did the 2nd generation Kindle come in graphite? I've looked all over Amazon and it seems like the 2nd generation only came in white.

Does this mean they're really selling the current generation one?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm about to buy a used Kindle and they claim it's the 2nd generation Kindle..but it's graphite. Did the 2nd generation Kindle come in graphite? I've looked all over Amazon and it seems like the 2nd generation only came in white.

If it's graphite it's either the 3rd generation Kindle or the second generation Kindle DX (which came out at about the same time and has the same kind of improved screen).

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

If you're getting a larger screen than you expected, it's a Kindle DX Graphite, released almost a month before the Kindle 3. Here's a screen comparison between the Kindle 2 (in front) and the Kindle DX.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I think there is a simple answer to this but I cant seem to find it, I work on a lot of video work and I would like to be able to send my edits to coworkers and other film makers to get feedback, uploading to YouTube each time I make a new edit takes forever. The files are ~150mb so its too big for yousendit.com

Anyone have advice?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I think there is a simple answer to this but I cant seem to find it, I work on a lot of video work and I would like to be able to send my edits to coworkers and other film makers to get feedback, uploading to YouTube each time I make a new edit takes forever. The files are ~150mb so its too big for yousendit.com

Anyone have advice?

http://www.filedropper.com/ or http://www.dropbox.com

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Also megaupload, rapidshare, megavideo, etc.

Megavideo might be the best place because it has a built in player so people can watch it streaming wihout having to wait for the download.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

kapalama posted:

Also megaupload, rapidshare, megavideo, etc.

Megavideo might be the best place because it has a built in player so people can watch it streaming wihout having to wait for the download.

Actually you can view things through the onsite video player that were uploaded to MegaUpload as well, just by adding video/ after the last slash (ie http://www.megaupload.com/video/?d=789). Though I wouldn't recommend using MegaVideo or MegaUpload since their servers have to convert the file before it can be played on the onsite player, which sometimes takes really long or never properly works at all.

If you're working with a group, I'd suggest DropBox. It's incredibly easy and has a lot of features for sharing folders between users that you could use in this situation. The only problem is that everyone who belongs to the shared folder will have to download the file, though that's not something that can't easily be circumvented just using more and more specific shared folders.

e: Also remember that you can use archiving tools like Winrar or (preferably) 7zip to compress the file (though in your case it probably won't do much) but also split it up into smaller files that you can upload to sites with size caps. Usually, though, they're also the sites where you have to buy a premium membership or wait a hour or whatever between downloads, so you'd have to upload the parts to several different websites and as you can see this is in many ways far from ideal. But it's possible.

Hell, you could also mail the parts through Gmail, though the max size is 25MB so you'd have to split it up into ~6 parts.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 12, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a way to edit the tags on .avi files? VLC sometimes gets some tag info from them and I would love to have either just have VLC use the actual file name or I would love a way to edit the tags themselves.

On a Mac but I have access to PCs. kind of.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

On a Mac but I have access to PCs. kind of.

Of course you do, silly. Macs are personal computers :smug:

I did some Googling and didn't find a whole lot, give this a shot
http://simplemoviex.com/SimpleMovieX/releaseNotes.html

There aren't a whole lot of hits for Mac stuff but here's one for Windows that kept popping up
http://abcavi.kibi.ru/

e: Be careful if you go Googling, there's an awful lot of bogus results coming up and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those pages have some kind of malware thing going on somewhere, either in the files they'll tell you to download or the page itself.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 12, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is there a thread where goons with a Quora.com account pass forward their invites?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Only mentions on SA I found of it were in the Website Recommendation Megathread where a few people were inviting others, but other than that, no dedicated thread.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there a meaning behind white suspenders in Teen fashion?

My daughter put profound importance on acquiring white suspenders, and I got a little curious. Is it a hip hop/latin culture thing? Or are we raising our own lil' neo nazi without even knowing it? Or, does she just want a unique way of holding up her britches and I'm just a megaparanoid dad who doesn't "get it :rolleyes:"?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Is there a meaning behind white suspenders in Teen fashion?

My daughter put profound importance on acquiring white suspenders, and I got a little curious. Is it a hip hop/latin culture thing? Or are we raising our own lil' neo nazi without even knowing it? Or, does she just want a unique way of holding up her britches and I'm just a megaparanoid dad who doesn't "get it :rolleyes:"?

It's just hipster-fashion bleed-over.

If she starts asking for red suspenders with matching bootlaces, then you can start to worry ;)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

...Is it a hip hop/latin culture thing? Or are we raising our own lil' neo nazi without even knowing it? Or, does she just want a unique way of holding up her britches and I'm just a megaparanoid dad who doesn't "get it :rolleyes:"?

Yes. ;)

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Thanks. Even having to ask this question made me feel every single day of my thirty-seven years.

But I'm glad to know that it's just some silly hipster thing.

Now, I can focus on encouraging her burgeoning interest in meteorology, seeing as how she's suddenly fascinated by websites that track the leading edges of advancing weather systems...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Now, I can focus on encouraging her burgeoning interest in meteorology, seeing as how she's suddenly fascinated by websites that track the leading edges of advancing weather systems...

That sort of subtlety tells me you might be overthinking what teens feel about fashion. She wants to wear what other people around her are wearing. Nothing like high school for echo chamber reinforcement of what other people are doing/thinking.

I had the rather unique experience of moving from vastly different places to other different places 7 times from ninth grade to graduation, which made me an expert in recognizing that what is fashionable one place is laughably unfashionable another place for no reason other than "teenagers are teenagers".

Leading edge one place, out of fashion another place, back into fashion the next place. And I never changed what I wore because I was poor.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Any place to find the originals that were made into those pet pcictures framing the ads?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

If the kitchen sink in my second floor apartment is draining extremely slowly but the bathroom sink is fine, would it be correct to assume the blockage is in the U-bend underneath the kitchen sink rather than further down?

Hoping to save money on a a plumber and thinking if the blockage is there I can just take the U-bend off and clean it out myself.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
You should almost always assume that since taking of the pipe there is usually very simple and the most common place, especially in kitchen sinks.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Torka posted:

If the kitchen sink in my second floor apartment is draining extremely slowly but the bathroom sink is fine, would it be correct to assume the blockage is in the U-bend underneath the kitchen sink rather than further down?

Hoping to save money on a a plumber and thinking if the blockage is there I can just take the U-bend off and clean it out myself.

Why not just try some Liquid Plumber or some Drano before taking a monkey wrench to your pipes?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

ANd beware, the kitchen P trap is almost always falling apart. If it is metal, you can bet that when you take it off, it will disintegrate.

Take a picture of the sink pipes to home depot and buy the necessary plastic or rubber replacement part before hand.Make sure and check the conditon of the wall pipe as well, since it is badly corroded it might fail too.

Of course if it is all already plastic you are golden.

If you buy the replacement part, think about getting one with a flexy bit. Then you can simply squeeze it to clear clogs, and alignment may not be as much of a hassle.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

Why not just try some Liquid Plumber or some Drano before taking a monkey wrench to your pipes?

The usual reason is that if you have to replace/clear the P trap anyway, you get a p trap full of really, really nasty acid. A plunger is the best first step.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Yeah it's all plastic. Pretty new building.

Thanks for the help guys. Trying to avoid the Drano (or similar chemical) option since ventilation in the apartment is poor. Already tried the wussy option of baking soda and vinegar to no effect.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002
This should be pretty funny to ask here, as it's an entirely serious question, despite the absurdity inherent in it.

You can live in a really nice beach house (where you can see dolphins from the back yard) literally walking distance from Oprah's house. loving beautiful area.

But.

You HAVE to smoke methamphetamine every day, multiple times. Whether that's your thing or not. Essentially you are required to be high on meth all day. All of your bills are paid, and you obviously don't need food.

If you DON'T you are entirely homeless, penniless, and entirely without resources. You have a t-shirt and some jeans, and it's hitting around ~40F at night.

In this 'theoretical' situation, what would YOU do?

This may be a weird question for this thread, but I figured it didn't need its own thread. Although that is exactly the situation I'm in. However goons give lovely advice anyway, especially all you '04+s ;)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What the gently caress?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

epsilon-6 posted:

This should be pretty funny to ask here, as it's an entirely serious question, despite the absurdity inherent in it.

You can live in a really nice beach house (where you can see dolphins from the back yard) literally walking distance from Oprah's house. loving beautiful area.

But.

You HAVE to smoke methamphetamine every day, multiple times. Whether that's your thing or not. Essentially you are required to be high on meth all day. All of your bills are paid, and you obviously don't need food.

If you DON'T you are entirely homeless, penniless, and entirely without resources. You have a t-shirt and some jeans, and it's hitting around ~40F at night.

This may be a weird question for this thread, but I figured it didn't need its own thread. Although that is exactly the situation I'm in. However goons give lovely advice anyway, especially all you '04+s ;)

Is this for the rest of your life?

Because if so then all I could think to ask would be "Pass the pipe?"

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
My question concerns Ebay, so maybe I should put it on SHSC, but this seems like a good place to anyway...

Does anyone know if there is such a app/service for Ebay that I can tell it a specific search query, and it will notify me (by email or whatever) every time a new item is listed that matches my query?

So basically, it would have to check Ebay every 1 minute or 5 minutes, and send me an email if there is a new item that pops up.

Something like the built in one on Ebay already there would be good but it only emails me one time per day at 9:00 AM in the morning.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

epsilon-6 posted:

But.

I've never done any drug harder than marijuana but I think I would accept this proposition.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

Is this for the rest of your life?

Because if so then all I could think to ask would be "Pass the pipe?"

This is not for the rest of your life. It would last a few months at maximum. So you could possibly find a job and save up for your own place, or become addicted to meth. This would roughly be the tossup, I suppose.

TetsuoTW posted:

What the gently caress?

Just for you specifically, you get a second question. What if your alternative to smoking meth every day is to be prostituted out to elderly gay men by your mother (As in full anal pentration)? Without pay. Your earnings would be flipped into rent.

Again it would be really creative if I could come up with this poo poo. That's why it's funny that I'm posting it. Because I'm not creative :D.

epsilon-6 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 13, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

epsilon-6 posted:

But.

If this is a mystically-guaranteed thing that's gonna go on forever, I think I'd smoke me some meth. I mean if those were the absolute only two options and you were guaranteed to be forced into homelessness and would never be allowed to make a penny or accumulate any sort of resources necessary for living, I guess being a pampered meth addict would be a better choice.

However, if this was just a real-life situation it would be a much easier choice in the other direction. You could stay in a nice house for a while, at least at the whim of a presumably meth-addicted patron, but I can't see "you have to smoke meth or get the gently caress out" as being a very stable or long-term living situation. I would bet good money that the meth house choice would probably end up in homelessness anyway (at best), and at least you could start out in that situation now while you're younger and not a drug addict.

edit:

epsilon-6 posted:

This is not for the rest of your life. It would last a few months at maximum. So you could possibly find a job and save up for your own place, or become addicted to meth. This would roughly be the tossup, I suppose.

Now you're just loving around. Crushing meth addiction or part time job and an apartment? Tough decision! :thumbsup:

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 13, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I've met lots of people who did lots of meth. It tends to catch up to you eventually.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

Danger Mahoney posted:

Now you're just loving around. Crushing meth addiction or part time job and an apartment? Tough decision! :thumbsup:

You would have to smoke meth before your interview, and every day before work. In this theoretical situation.

edit:

That may not make a significant difference in your response. I'm just wondering if you've considered this in your response.

epsilon-6 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 13, 2011

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When the Kindle says

Amazon posted:

Battery Life of One Month – A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off

How accurate is that? How long of actual reading can you get between charges? I'm deciding between a Kindle and a Nook and one thing is battery life. Kindle has a longer one but you can get replacement batteries for the Nook.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sad Panda posted:

When the Kindle says

How accurate is that? How long of actual reading can you get between charges? I'm deciding between a Kindle and a Nook and one thing is battery life. Kindle has a longer one but you can get replacement batteries for the Nook.

You can get a shitload of reading. I know people who've had one of the new models since September and as of now are preparing to make their 4th charge. I find myself recharging my 3g enabled Kindle every week or so, but I also use the case that has a light that draws from the Kindle's battery and leave the wireless on all the time, both of which drain the battery a lot faster.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
If battery life is a concern you may be better off with a book

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm looking for a gaming website that had a stark black and white design. The reviews they uploaded were long-winded rants about nothing in particular. Does anyone remember that place?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Is there free software available that transcribes spoken words from videos with ok accuracy?

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
does a pcmcia to usb cable exist? I have a pcmcia card I would like to use on a computer that doesn't have that slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

fishmech posted:

You can get a shitload of reading. I know people who've had one of the new models since September and as of now are preparing to make their 4th charge. I find myself recharging my 3g enabled Kindle every week or so, but I also use the case that has a light that draws from the Kindle's battery and leave the wireless on all the time, both of which drain the battery a lot faster.

Wonderful. I completely forgot about the need for a light.. I'll have to remember to pick one of those up too as it's mainly going to be used while camping.

Breath Ray posted:

If battery life is a concern you may be better off with a book

If the Kindle only stored a single book and wasn't lighter than most books that'd be a great idea!