Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

That would be exactly it! Thank you kind sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I'm trying to remember the name of a simulation game where you're supposed to help a couple that is on the verge of breaking up. I remember it starts with you outside their apartment door, you could type whatever you wanted to do/say, and it was all done with computer generated voices (I think). It basically resulted in a lot of very uncomfortable, awkward situations and I feel like playing it again.

edit: It was a freeware download

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Freeze posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a simulation game where you're supposed to help a couple that is on the verge of breaking up. I remember it starts with you outside their apartment door, you could type whatever you wanted to do/say, and it was all done with computer generated voices (I think). It basically resulted in a lot of very uncomfortable, awkward situations and I feel like playing it again.

edit: It was a freeware download
Façade

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

duckfarts posted:

Façade

Awesome, thanks for the fast reply.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I'm thinking of a Genesis game that was released when the genesis first came out in 1989. I was 7 years old, and at some store that was similar to Sears or perhaps WAS Sears, there was a demo unit that I would play on and my dad would watch. They showcased two different games. One was Altered Beast, and the other was this cool helicopter game where you shot other helicopters and tanks. It was a pseudo 3D rail shooter, like Star Fox but with sprite based graphics.

I remember there was this boss that was this giant tank that shot this big plasma ball at you from its cannon. The sound it made was loud and epic sounding to my 7 year old eats. It was a combination of an explosion sound and an announcer saying "Boom!". It sounded awesome at the time, though I do know that the Genesis is not known for its good audio hardware compared to the SNES which came out later.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

iceaim posted:

I'm thinking of a Genesis game that was released when the genesis first came out in 1989. I was 7 years old, and at some store that was similar to Sears or perhaps WAS Sears, there was a demo unit that I would play on and my dad would watch. They showcased two different games. One was Altered Beast, and the other was this cool helicopter game where you shot other helicopters and tanks. It was a pseudo 3D rail shooter, like Star Fox but with sprite based graphics.

Super Thunder Blade.

It will be infinitely better in your memories.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Reposting this from a few pages back:

Back when I was a kid and picked games solely by their awesome, misleading covers I bought this lovely-rear end driving game for the PS1. You drove some sort of Lamborghini armed with lasers and missiles and drove on some roads in space or something. One distinct "feature" was that you couldn't reverse at all: if you tried to do a 180 degree turn, the game would automatically turn your car around. Also it felt that the competing cars were just spawning randomly for aesthetics and your shooting pleasure. The cover of the game had a red futuristic car with some machine guns mounted to it. I think the name was something like "Auto-Combat". I know of Auto-Destruct which was a semi-good game for its time - the one I'm trying to remember was total poo poo. I think it came out around 1996.

The goal of the game was to race to win, it wasn't open world at all.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 10, 2011

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Sizone posted:

Super Thunder Blade.

It will be infinitely better in your memories.

It was a lot better than I expected. Unfortunately the sound is absolutely awful, but the gameplay is okay. Arcade style, like afterburner. I think it's better than afterburner though.

Is there an arcade version of this game, or is it Genesis only?

There was a similar game to this for the Game Gear. I think it was first person from a jet cockpit, but I remember shooting tanks and stuff. Also the game over screen showed the pilot of your jet parachuting.

It was 1991 when I played this, and again it was a demo Game Gear unit in the store. My parents were buying a new 386 computer at the time and it included a bundle of games including one called A-10 tank killer. I was really excited about us buying a PC and I was really hoping that A-10 game would be like that Game Gear game. Honestly the game ended up much better, since it was a simulation style game rather than an arcade style game.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 10, 2011

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

iceaim posted:

It was a lot better than I expected. Unfortunately the sound is absolutely awful, but the gameplay is okay. Arcade style, like afterburner. I think it's better than afterburner though.

Is there an arcade version of this game, or is it Genesis only?

Unless I have my games mixed up, we had a deluxe cabinet of Super Thunder Blade that had a cockpit seat with a flight stick that made the seat rotate slightly. It was pretty cool.

edit: here is a toy of the deluxe cabinet

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm trying to remember a commodore 64 game. You play as a skateboarder going down a busy highway. Your goal is to avoid running into cars and to pick up bottles to recycle. I think if you rode close enough to a car without getting hit, they would lean out and pass you a bottle.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
There was an old edutainment game collection on all the school computers in my old elementary school. It had a few unrelated games, one of them being a marching band simulator, where you can set up and program a field of band kids do simple things like turn left, turn right, move forward, and the like. Anyone else remember something like this?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm trying to remember a commodore 64 game. You play as a skateboarder going down a busy highway. Your goal is to avoid running into cars and to pick up bottles to recycle. I think if you rode close enough to a car without getting hit, they would lean out and pass you a bottle.

Street Surfer

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

These Loving Eyes posted:

Back when I was a kid and picked games solely by their awesome, misleading covers I bought this lovely-rear end driving game for the PS1. You drove some sort of Lamborghini armed with lasers and missiles and drove on some roads in space or something. One distinct "feature" was that you couldn't reverse at all: if you tried to do a 180 degree turn, the game would automatically turn your car around. Also it felt that the competing cars were just spawning randomly for aesthetics and your shooting pleasure. The cover of the game had a red futuristic car with some machine guns mounted to it. I think the name was something like "Auto-Combat". I know of Auto-Destruct which was a semi-good game for its time - the one I'm trying to remember was total poo poo. I think it came out around 1996.

It wasn't carmageddon?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmageddon

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

^^^Not Carmageddon, the hitting everybody with your car thing would stand out.

gently caress you for making me also try to remember this game, and for searching all PSX games by year on GameFAQs around the year of Auto-Destruct(which I swore it was until I saw a gameplay video). I remember this game, and I remember the goofy do-a-180 button, and I had to search for this piece of poo poo so it wouldn't haunt me thanks to you.

Some review posted:

In spite of this understeer, your car is somehow able to pull off a 180 degree spin on command with no skidding.

Crime Killer :c00lbert:

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 11, 2011

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Caufman posted:

There was an old edutainment game collection on all the school computers in my old elementary school. It had a few unrelated games, one of them being a marching band simulator, where you can set up and program a field of band kids do simple things like turn left, turn right, move forward, and the like. Anyone else remember something like this?

Do you remember anything about what the computers were? Around what year would you have been using them?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

duckfarts posted:

^^^Not Carmageddon, the hitting everybody with your car thing would stand out.

gently caress you for making me also try to remember this game, and for searching all PSX games by year on GameFAQs around the year of Auto-Destruct(which I swore it was until I saw a gameplay video). I remember this game, and I remember the goofy do-a-180 button, and I had to search for this piece of poo poo so it wouldn't haunt me thanks to you.

Crime Killer :c00lbert:

Sadly, it wasn't this either. You raced on some narrow highways in space and the thing about 180s was that if you tried to do one, your car would only momentarily face the wrong way and then the game would turn it the right way again. You could constantly fire off some green lasers and maybe missiles but there wasn't really much any point to that since you were just speeding through a narrow track. It was a really, really, really bad game. I bought it along Project Overkill at the time which was decent compared to this piece of poop.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

iceaim posted:

There was a similar game to this for the Game Gear. I think it was first person from a jet cockpit, but I remember shooting tanks and stuff. Also the game over screen showed the pilot of your jet parachuting.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

techknight posted:

Street Surfer

Yeah this was it. Thanks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

techknight posted:

Street Surfer

Why is he carrying a bottle of milk?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why is he carrying a bottle of milk?

I believe he recycles them for money. This game was intended as a work of speculative fiction and successfully predicted the economic collapse. In this hellish dystopia, all a totally rad dude has open to him for opportunities is to skateboard around collecting bottles to recycle for money. Milk bottles, beer bottles, soda bottles, it hardly matters. Trading glass for another meal is all that matters. Every day, the same hellish existence of skateboarding around, collecting glass bottles, fully aware that cars on the road will just outright kill you capricously because the value of human life has been so diluted by the economic catastrophe that has forced so many into skateboarding-around-collecting-glass-bottles.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sadly, it wasn't this either. You raced on some narrow highways in space and the thing about 180s was that if you tried to do one, your car would only momentarily face the wrong way and then the game would turn it the right way again. You could constantly fire off some green lasers and maybe missiles but there wasn't really much any point to that since you were just speeding through a narrow track. It was a really, really, really bad game. I bought it along Project Overkill at the time which was decent compared to this piece of poop.

It might've been MRK aka Maximum Roadkill. It's been about 15 years since I played it but it was in space (or looked like it), you fired weapons and it was a really bad game. I can't remember if you could 180 though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

techknight posted:

Do you remember anything about what the computers were? Around what year would you have been using them?

This is my pet hate for threads like this.

"I played it when I was a kid and it had monsters and dungeons" is poo poo information.

"Around '83 on a home computer system, not a console. Sideways scroller, lots of titties" at least gives us something to work from.

We don't know when you were at school, dingdong!

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
NES game that was like Advanced Wars. I think it had a big general on the cover maybe maneuvering units like puppets. At least that's what the cover looked like to me when I was a kid.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
There was a PC game that came out 6 or 7 years ago,a 3-D RTS that was set in Medieval times, where you had a small fort/castle kinda thing and defended it from invasion. In a way, it kind of reminded me of Populous. I played a demo of it around 04-05 (I think) and thought it was awesome, but never got around to buying it for whatever reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rivid posted:

NES game that was like Advanced Wars. I think it had a big general on the cover maybe maneuvering units like puppets. At least that's what the cover looked like to me when I was a kid.

This is definitely Desert Commander:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4TFwMj4xf8

Yeticopter posted:

There was a PC game that came out 6 or 7 years ago,a 3-D RTS that was set in Medieval times, where you had a small fort/castle kinda thing and defended it from invasion. In a way, it kind of reminded me of Populous. I played a demo of it around 04-05 (I think) and thought it was awesome, but never got around to buying it for whatever reason.

This is almost definitely one of the Stronghold series?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVE8QXj5hrw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4Ui5l7I3w

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Caufman posted:

If I remember correctly, there was a marching band simulator in one of the Thinkin' Things collections.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Okay so here's a pickle for you all. My friends and I were trying to remember this one, and it's going to plague me for weeks if I cannot remember it.

This was an online fighting game that you could download for free on the PC. The combat was sort of like Quake arena but with kick punch combo moves instead of guns. There were 4 (I believe) characters you could choose from, a big dude, a chick, a small guy, and a floating wizard. You could play online in an FFA set up.

If you got a punch of points (kills?) your guy would "power up" temporarily and have access to a special technique that would just dominate. I remember the floating wizard had some sort of long range AOE attack, the big guy had some sweet uppercut.

That's all I got. Get to it goons!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

If I remember correctly, there was a marching band simulator in one of the Thinkin' Things collections.

You nailed it. Thanks a million, pal.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
I really don't know if this game ever came out, but if someone recognizes it I can at least stop thinking about it. I saw a preview for a martial arts title in a Swedish gaming mag back in the mid-90's or so. One screenshot showed a guy in an Asian straw hat in a bamboo forest/jungle setting with a hut behind him. The graphics were handdrawn. The article mentioned that the game was supposed to take a more realistic approach to martial arts than say Street Fighter and that real martial artists had been consulted. I think they may even have based the in-game moves on said fighters, perhaps with rotoscoping. I'm not sure if the game was a regular versus fighting game or a sidescrolling beat-em-up affair, but it kinda looked like the latter. Anyone know this game?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

a medical mystery posted:

Thinkin' Things

Thanks for answering my "what was that kids' game where you animated the path of a trail of shapes across a background of your choosing" question before I asked it!

32-bit Siren
Mar 21, 2009

Posted here a while ago, got a reply right away and got help finding a game I wasn't even sure was real. Hoping to get the same result this time! :)

There was a game for the NES that was covered in an old old Nintendo Power magazine. As I recall, it was a full walkthrough. I bought the magazine as a kid, and remember the pictures very clearly. I recall it had looked really cool at the time, but can't remember the name. It was a side-scroller, I believe that you played as a knight, and I recall a few of the bosses. There was a green dragon, a gold knight, a silver knight and a red mage. I remember almost nothing else.

It reminded me a bit of Castlevania, I think. Looked neat. I'd love to find out what it was. Do any of you know?

If anyone can help me find this game again, I would honestly be amazed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

32-bit Siren posted:

Posted here a while ago, got a reply right away and got help finding a game I wasn't even sure was real. Hoping to get the same result this time! :)

There was a game for the NES that was covered in an old old Nintendo Power magazine. As I recall, it was a full walkthrough. I bought the magazine as a kid, and remember the pictures very clearly. I recall it had looked really cool at the time, but can't remember the name. It was a side-scroller, I believe that you played as a knight, and I recall a few of the bosses. There was a green dragon, a gold knight, a silver knight and a red mage. I remember almost nothing else.

It reminded me a bit of Castlevania, I think. Looked neat. I'd love to find out what it was. Do any of you know?

If anyone can help me find this game again, I would honestly be amazed.

Wizards And Warriors?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Beaten. Sounds like Ironsword to me, too.

There's this freeware fighting game similar in style to Time Killers from about 10 years ago. I've forgotten everything about the guy/website that made it except I think the word "blood" figured heavily in the site name. He did a few games, actually. Anyway, one of the fighters was an old Scottish dude who retired to a tropical island, and another was the poo poo King, who seemed to show up a lot as kind of the mascot of the site.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Discount Viscount posted:

Beaten. Sounds like Ironsword to me, too.

There's this freeware fighting game similar in style to Time Killers from about 10 years ago. I've forgotten everything about the guy/website that made it except I think the word "blood" figured heavily in the site name. He did a few games, actually. Anyway, one of the fighters was an old Scottish dude who retired to a tropical island, and another was the poo poo King, who seemed to show up a lot as kind of the mascot of the site.

Is this Time Slaughter?

http://www.bloodlustsoftware.com/timeslaughter.html

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hey what's up :cool:

So I used to play this game on the PC when I was a young'un. I seem to recall it being called "Overlord" or "Overseer" or "Outpost" or something, and it was essentially a SP tank command game / RTS. You drove around in this big ol' tank with all sorts of weapons, in first or third person, and you would go around capturing checkpoints that had, I think, 4 corner spaces on which could be placed turrets or buildings or the like, and they would continuously net you resources.

Anyway, what I found cool about it is that when assaulting other people's bases, you could "warp in" a certain number of AI support units with your resources. From what I can remember, there were little infantry sprites, smaller tanks, fighters and bombers (maybe just bombers?). You could also use your resources to upgrade your support units. Each upgrade changed the model of your support unit and gave it more punch (infantry, for instance, did more damage with their rifles and could rush bases and plant bombs that did damage based on their level).

Anybody know that of which I speak?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

RichterIX posted:

Is this Time Slaughter?

http://www.bloodlustsoftware.com/timeslaughter.html

Yes indeed! Why did I never try searching for "Bloodlust?" I'll never know. Thanks a bunch.

Oh hey, poo poo King wasn't actually in that one. How could I forget about Vlad though?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

thepopstalinist posted:

So I used to play this game on the PC when I was a young'un. I seem to recall it being called "Overlord" or "Overseer" or "Outpost" or something, and it was essentially a SP tank command game / RTS. You drove around in this big ol' tank with all sorts of weapons, in first or third person, and you would go around capturing checkpoints that had, I think, 4 corner spaces on which could be placed turrets or buildings or the like, and they would continuously net you resources.

Anyway, what I found cool about it is that when assaulting other people's bases, you could "warp in" a certain number of AI support units with your resources. From what I can remember, there were little infantry sprites, smaller tanks, fighters and bombers (maybe just bombers?). You could also use your resources to upgrade your support units. Each upgrade changed the model of your support unit and gave it more punch (infantry, for instance, did more damage with their rifles and could rush bases and plant bombs that did damage based on their level).

I think I remember playing the demo of this, it would have been some time in the mid-to-late 90s. Can't remember the name, just that when you called in an airstrike the guy would say "releasing payload" which was really funny to me and my friends because we were 13.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

thepopstalinist posted:

Sounds like Uprising. Pretty fun game back in the day.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

YES! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

There was this one game - I believe I got it on a shareware disc. I believe the objective was to kill bugs, I think the player played as an exterminator. The game might have been top-down (I may be wrong on that though), set on a red maze-like grid. Game play was kind of like Dig-Dug, I think.

I remember the disc also had games like Havok (where the player controlled a vehicle that could transform into different forms for land, water, etc. - I think it was described somewhere else in the thread) and a really awesome version of Arkanoid (it may have been DX-Ball, the screenshots I've found seem to look the same.)