Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I want a tablet, but I can't for the life of me think of what I'll use it for. It's an elegant solution without a problem to solve.

At first I thought you meant a graphics tablet, which to anyone reading this, owns and you should get one. I've got a Wacom Bamboo, which is relatively inexpensive and great to have for post processing. It takes a few days to get used to, but once you do you'll never go back to using a mouse for Photoshop.

Having played with a photographer buddy of mine's and borrowed one from work for a weekend, I'm probably going to get an iPad later in the spring when the new one comes out (probably pick up a first-gen 16GB WiFi model for cheap rather than buy the latest and greatest). It's not something I strictly "need", but it would probably replace my netbook (getting rid of) and 13" laptop for everything but processing photos and downloading them on the road. For the most part, the stuff I do on my computer at home is browser-based, and like you said, that 10" IPS screen is great for using as a portfolio. It's also very nice for viewing stuff online: scrolling down FlickrRiver works great, as do RSS feeds of photo blogs and the like (The Big Picture, etc). I've already got a fair amount sunk in iOS apps already with my iPod touch, which I use on a daily basis for studying ($25 cloud-syncing flashcard app).

Also video games -____-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I have a lovely tablet like this : http://www.amazon.com/Genius-MousePen-6-Inch-Graphic-Tablet/dp/B000LEI95I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294594700&sr=8-1

I got it from a goon for like 40$ I think. And it's 100x easier for editing than a mouse or touch pad.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

That's one of those things you say until you've owned one for a week or so.

The wife and I love the poo poo out of our ipad.. it's our gps, find stuff to do, preview+upload pictures for the family, stream netflix on the road do-everything device.

I swear I feel like I'm on Star Trek using that thing.

GPS: Phone
Find stuff to do: Phone
Preview+upload pictures: Until I can process the photos on the tablet, e.g. photoshop, I'm never going to use a tablet for that
Stream Netflix: Two issues there. One, where I travel mostly, there is no 3G and the wireless is sparse and slow. Not to mention, how soon does one go through the download limits?

When there is a 4G, real broadband tablet, it might be enough for an entertainment device, but even then, I wonder about the limits on monthly downloads.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I remembered a speaker I had in class this semester and thought he might be cool to tell y'all about.

His name is Clifford Ross, and in 2001 (ish) he became obsessed with Mt. Sopris in Colorado. He initially took a single picture of it using a polaroid camera, and then wanted to capture the mountain in more detail.

Mt Sopris:

HERE'S THE MASSIVE ZOOMABLE IMAGE FROM HIS WEBSITE

So he spent a year or so building the most high powered camera ever invented with a guy in buffalo, ny* and ended up with a camera that takes an image so large, that when printed, it spans 5ft by 10ft. We're talking about billions of pixels here. Here's an excerpt from an article on his website about it:

quote:

3. The Big Picture Overview
Clifford Ross uses his patented R1 camera to capture landscape images on Kodak aerial film. This one-of-a-kind camera uses large format (9 in. x 18in.) negatives, which are then scanned at high resolution. Ross and his technical team then manipulate the resulting digital file with Adobe Photoshop running on Apple computers. The process of building adjustment layers can boost the size of the working file to 22 gigabytes. Over the course of six months, the image is painstakingly massaged into final form. Twelve to fourteen full-scale proofs are printed on Kodak Endura chromogenic paper with an Oce Lightjet laser printer. The final result is displayed in a unique framing system of Ross’ design, which allows intimate and satisfying perusal of the finest details in the image. The frame systems include the largest sheets of non-reflective glass ever made, manufactured by Tru-Vue to his specifications, minimizing distracting reflections across the entire image.

Ross’ stated goal is to produce an image firmly grounded in the realistic detail which his camera provides, but consistent with his memory of the scene as he experienced it. This, of course, is a subjective consideration. It differs from a scientific approach by virtue of his willing embrace of subjective interpretation to further his artistic goal. But Summiteers have stressed that the difference between an artist’s interpretive role compared to that of a scientist is one only of intent. Every image of the universe released by NASA and the Hubble Space Telescope Science Institute is an interpreted image. The scientists aim to render, through subjective interpretive means, the singular identity of the multitude of objects depicted in outer space, as well as the sense of wonder that they wish to share with the viewer.

This synergy between artistic and scientific goals of images is a central reason for Big Picture collaboration. Zoltan Levay, Imaging Resource Lead of the Hubble Space Telescope Science Institute at Johns Hopkins University, commented on this topic, stating that the “fundamental use of our [public Hubble] images is to disseminate significant science findings from Hubble, so we certainly don't want to manipulate the images in such a way that would mislead. Yet, we know that an unattractive image that repels viewers is counter-productive. So we struggle to balance these sometimes-contradictory goals.”[2]

Did I mention that he is also crazy? He has used this monumental image to create the representation of the "harmoniums" that he believes in. "Harmoniums" are:

quote:

...according to The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, the only form of life on the planet Mercury. Harmoniums are paper-thin cave-dwellers that feed on nearly undectable vibrations in the planet, described as "Mercury's song." Harmoniums are kite-sized and kite-shaped, and reproduce asexually by flaking off in a manner not unlike dandruff. They have only the sense of touch, and also rudimentary telepathic powers capable of only two messages: "here I am, here I am, here I am," and "so glad you are, so glad you are, so glad you are."

Harmoniums are a semi-transparent blue, making the yellow walls of Mercury appear aquamarine beneath them. When they die, they shrivel up like dried fruit. They can die from feeding off too much vibration
Boaz, a resident on mercury has a emotional connection with the species, collecting ones that stand out to him ( although they all look the same to Unk) Boaz frequently holds concerts for the creatures, playing music, diluting it through layers of material into the rock. If the harmoniums move too close to the concert they die "in ecstasy"

Here is his eventual representation, all derived from a single small crop of the mountain scene above:

The single mountain section, messed about with, and called "harmonium" on his website:

Note that even that tiny section stretches about 4ft x 3.5ft

(Screengrabbed from his website, sorry Clifford)

To create these images and figure out how to display them, he spent years with pretty much every high end science organization (government, private, schools) one could think of (this is an exaggeration, but not an extreme one). They eventually figured out an entire room display system, so that the user would be completely surrounded by the image in a large space.

How did he managed to spend almost 10 years mucking about building a ridiculously high powered camera and figuring out how to show it? He owns the rights to this little guy:

That's right, everyone's favorite childhood elephant who wasn't Dumbo: Babar (despite fairly pointed questioning from my classmates about the business side of this (after his talk to us), he refused to divulge this information).

Let's review: one of the highest resolution photographic cameras ever created, used to create the physical representation of alien blocks of color that live on Mercury from the Vonnegut novel "Sirens of Titan", all by the guy who owns a childhood memory to millions of adults worldwide.

*this may be untrue, he definitely built it in some guys garage, but I don't remember where the guy was exactly

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 12, 2011

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I was going to snark about how that mountain landscape is totally typical and boring for a crazy pixel peeper with a *~patented~* camera but then it got awesome. I want to have a beer with that dude.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds good to me.. all I want in life is the financial resources to prove I'm as crazy as this guy (both the good crazy and the bad one).

The image is absolutely ridiculous when you zoom in. poo poo jumps out that you can't even see in the full version. I'd like to see "where's waldo" style images done with this guy's gear.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
"patented R1 camera" "unique framing system" "synergy" "aggressively exploit leading edge commodity technology (Photoshop)" "Sistine Ceiling" :jerkbag:

The pano is nice. I love giant images and doing high res panoramas is what got me into photography in the first place, but holy gently caress is that guy full of himself. It's a high res scan of large format film. 9"x18" is big by today's standards, but it's no 20"x24". On the subject of gigapixel images though, http://www.autopano.net/en/ has a good amount of zoom-able panoramas to look through.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
See, that is just the right amount of crazy and an inspiration to us all.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If I were that rich and crazy, I'd develop a large format DSLR that takes noiseless photos at ISO 128000.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TheLastManStanding posted:

"patented R1 camera" "unique framing system" "synergy" "aggressively exploit leading edge commodity technology (Photoshop)" "Sistine Ceiling" :jerkbag:

The pano is nice. I love giant images and doing high res panoramas is what got me into photography in the first place, but holy gently caress is that guy full of himself. It's a high res scan of large format film. 9"x18" is big by today's standards, but it's no 20"x24". On the subject of gigapixel images though, http://www.autopano.net/en/ has a good amount of zoom-able panoramas to look through.

Oh dude is definitely full of himself, and wasted this really awesome tool on creating something that looks more like rgb pixels than anything else. The majority of the class thought the guy was a joke...a really interesting, inspiring joke.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Who wants to go with me to Mongolia? Finally found the absolute perfect tour package, and got a nice windfall of money to pay for it.

http://bluewolftravel.com/go-to-eagle-festival-with-eaglehunters-and-altai-explore

Right now I'm going alone (Agust doesn't like these kind of trips) so I'll have to tag along with another group of strangers, but if I can get even one other person interested (long shot I know) we can have a photographer only group.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

poopinmymouth posted:

Right now I'm going alone (Agust doesn't like these kind of trips) so I'll have to tag along with another group of strangers, but if I can get even one other person interested (long shot I know) we can have a photographer only group.

I would but you never once complimented my looks in the show yourself thread so I'm afraid I can't help you out, Mr. Poopinmymouth.

In all seriousness, it does look like a cool trip but I can't commit at this time due to uncertainty in where I'll be working come September and whether or not I'll have vacation time I can use. Ah, the life of an overworked American.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

poopinmymouth posted:

Who wants to go with me to Mongolia? Finally found the absolute perfect tour package, and got a nice windfall of money to pay for it.

http://bluewolftravel.com/go-to-eagle-festival-with-eaglehunters-and-altai-explore

I've been planning a trip to Mongolia for like three years, I was planning on going to Thailand on my next vacation, but I'm flexible. When are you going?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

poopinmymouth posted:

That sounds awesome. How low does the cost get if you can get 8 people?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

I've been planning a trip to Mongolia for like three years, I was planning on going to Thailand on my next vacation, but I'm flexible. When are you going?

There is only the option of Sept 10-24 if you want to go on this specific tour, that is when the eagle festival is.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm going to kick this around with the wife, sounds like something really cool to do.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

If I were that rich and crazy, I'd develop a large format DSLR that takes noiseless photos at ISO 128000.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

poopinmymouth posted:

There is only the option of Sept 10-24 if you want to go on this specific tour, that is when the eagle festival is.

That might be possible, is there a deadline?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

poopinmymouth posted:

we can have a photographer only group.

Are wives allowed?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DaNzA posted:

Hah. I forgot about that.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
The World Erotic Art Museum in Miami used DMCA to get Flickr to take down 300+ photos. WEMA is now suing the photographer for $2 Million.

What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: GIZMODO talked to the owner/curator and she said this "While WEAM allows media and photographers to enter the premise and take photographs, it's with the unspoken and unwritten understanding that no one would ever post anything explicit—especially not visuals involving penetration—online."

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 12, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

That might be possible, is there a deadline?

The deadline appears to be when it is full. I plan to pay within the next two weeks to be sure I'm in.

Charmmi posted:

Are wives allowed?

Read the trip schedule. Depending on the outdoorsiness of your wife it should be fine. I read a blog of a woman who went and it seemed she complained the whole time, so if that's yours, leave her behind. A hardy lumberjack type that doesn't mind camping or not always having hot water/showers should be fine.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DaNzA posted:

That's only 1.6 megapixels and is for x-ray fluoroscopy, not standard photography :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

That's only 1.6 megapixels and is for x-ray fluoroscopy, not standard photography :colbert:

Then maybe this will impress?

The green dot in the upper left is the CCD from an iphone, for scale.

"The scientific sensor array on DECam is an array of 62 2048x4096 pixel back-illuminated CCDs totaling 520 megapixels, there are an additional 12 2048x2048 pixel CCDs used for guiding the telescope, monitoring focus and alignment."

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Post your tax-refund-irresponsible-photography-related-purchase you wish to make with it:

Canon 85 1.2

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Poor fellow goon wants to win free wedding photos from some crappy photographer.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380842

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
The 'Post terrible photos from other photographers' thread is that way :v:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe I should ask for mod permission to start a "Please help me help a goon to not win crappy wedding pictures, goons" thread

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
That's a lot to give away to harvest a few hundred fb followers, and in the goon's case, people who are not good prospects.
edit: Also, he's not too terrible.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That's a lot to give away to harvest a few hundred fb followers, and in the goon's case, people who are not good prospects.

For what's supposed to be a portfolio, he seems pretty crappy. Underexposed foregrounds and blown highlights galore.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

If that's an unfiltered gallery then he's good. If those are the best shots in his portfolio then I think $2000 is overpriced.

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places

dunkman posted:

Post your tax-refund-irresponsible-photography-related-purchase you wish to make with it:

Canon 85 1.2

Either 50mm 1.2 or an Elinchrom Strobe Kit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dunkman posted:

Canon 85 1.2

I've been slobbering over Canon's new 70-300 f4-5.6. Reviews have been positive for the kind of shots I want to take, and I'm expecting a return that could make a huge dent on the purchase.. it's something I'm sure thinking about.

(though I'm a cheapskate, and will probably end up with an older used lens with similar capability)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Canon refurbished 5D MKII.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dunkman posted:

Canon 85 1.2

70-200 F/2.8 IS II and a 580EX II :shobon:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want a Canon 100mm macro so bad but I just KNOW that I would only take some pictures of electronics and then probably never use it again.

Another option is like a Sigma 300mm or some other long prime. Because I like birds. :3:

I owe several thousand this year because of an inheritance so I probably won't be buying anything though.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

tuyop posted:

I want a Canon 100mm macro so bad but I just KNOW that I would only take some pictures of electronics and then probably never use it again.

Another option is like a Sigma 300mm or some other long prime. Because I like birds. :3:

I owe several thousand this year because of an inheritance so I probably won't be buying anything though.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but you live in halifax right? I'm moving there tomorrow and am wondering about the cool spots... Photo wise and just to chill and have a few beer. I don't have PMs so if you could email me at mattt at matttphoto.com I'd really appreciate it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dunkman posted:

Not expecting much of a refund, but I did get an end-of-year bonus - a good chunk of which went to a Voigtlander 35/1.2 :swoon:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I either gonna use my Tax return to buy a fridge full of polaroid pack film or a set of strobes (if I can find a good deal on craigslist). I should probably just save it but I probably won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Probably going to get a 16-35 2.8L I with my refund. Then sell my Tamron. We had good times.