Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.

Pocket DeSade posted:

This is making me think my paperwork will be sent back to me, when mine is finally looked at. I don't remember getting anything this through, just a minor physical, and my doctor asking me if he wanted me to lie about anything.

Speak of the devil, I just got all my medical paperwork back to me, saying it wasn't even close to being right. lol

I'm kind of relieved, since I expected it, but at least they're a lot clearer the second time, about what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^
I'm praying my paperwork doesn't get sent back. I just sent it after literally a month of like...10 different battalions of blood work (new doctor + paperwork), a screwed up exam that I had to get redone, coming back for the PPD, blah blah blah.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am going through all the same bullshit with my medical stuff, too. Except, I have to translate everything from Japanese to English... and the only doctor who is willing to help me is 3 hours away.
FML
I am so close though, 5 more little things on my checklist to go.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!
A couple of questions from someone who is just beginning the application process:

1. Will a drug-related misdemeanor (possession of marijuana) that got dismissed in court be a major hindrance to my selection?

2. Would saying that I would prefer to be sent to a couple of regions over the rest severely slow down the nomination process? If so, by how long?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
1. I don't know. I'd ask them because the issue might be in the details.

2. No. Everyone has their "pet region" they'd like to goto and they actually will consider it, so that's more of the standard than the rule. I think they get enough people who want to go to different regions that it balances out, plus people who don't care either way. I said I'd like to see Eastern Europe or Asia, but still would go anywhere, I'm currently nominated for Eastern Europe

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
On the other hand, I stated preference for Rastern Europe or Central/South America, and got nominated for Asia. Bit I'm part of a couple, too, so that definitely factored in.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I was exposed to TB as a young child but never actually got sick. When I originally got hired at my current job 5 years ago (at a hospital), I tested positive and had to go through 1 year of medication in order to ensure it wasn't a threat. I was told by doctors and my employer that I didn't have to take the annual TB check-up.

Could this be an issue with medical check portion of applying? I have all the necessary paperwork showing I don't have TB but I've been exposed.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Corbet posted:

I was exposed to TB as a young child but never actually got sick. When I originally got hired at my current job 5 years ago (at a hospital), I tested positive and had to go through 1 year of medication in order to ensure it wasn't a threat. I was told by doctors and my employer that I didn't have to take the annual TB check-up.

Could this be an issue with medical check portion of applying? I have all the necessary paperwork showing I don't have TB but I've been exposed.

I don't know about the Peace Corps specifically, but in general you should be fine as long as you can provide a current chest x-ray showing the TB is inactive. Since you went through the medication, you have next to no reason to worry about it turning active.

By the way, never get another skin test again in your life. You could blow up if you do :v:

ps: I'm in the same boat; positive skin test, negative chest xray. Though I declined to take the medicine since it would be six months of shooting my liver to hell, and I was going off to college. welp,

Brokyn fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 30, 2010

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Corbet posted:

No problem at all. I had the exact same issue, although my exposure was much more recent, only 3 years before applying.

You'll just have to have your physician point out on the medical form that you have a positive PPD test and then go get a chest x-ray to prove you're not harboring an infection, and you should be good to go. The doctor should be totally familiar with it- it's more common than you might think. I didn't have any problems with my application whatsoever.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

1. I don't know. I'd ask them because the issue might be in the details.

2. No. Everyone has their "pet region" they'd like to goto and they actually will consider it, so that's more of the standard than the rule. I think they get enough people who want to go to different regions that it balances out, plus people who don't care either way. I said I'd like to see Eastern Europe or Asia, but still would go anywhere, I'm currently nominated for Eastern Europe

Cool, I called them up and they said that the drug arrest probably wouldn't be a factor at all if I was never actually convicted, but they still want to see court documents anyway, which will be a hassle to get a hold of.

Another question: what's the strategy on getting letters of recommendation? I had the same job from Summer of 2009 to Fall of 2010 and I'm having trouble getting in contact with my former supervisor, which is a bummer because I'm sure a letter of recommendation from her would be spectacular, as I was a formal writing tutor and she's an English professor in addition to being my supervisor (I'm trying to be an education volunteer). It says I also need one from a professor and one from a friend of more than two years, which I hope are easier to get. I'm honestly starting to worry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well don't panic, that'll just make it worse :)

In actuality you need a letter of recommendation from a job (current or former), a close friend or a current or former volunteer supervisor. A professor can be used to replace one of these (I replaced the volunteer supervisor because at the time I couldn't get in contact with any). I found the process quite painless. You might need to nudge people a bit but just ask them, "is it cool if I get your recommendation because I'm going into the peace corps?". Few people are going to say no to that, so when they say yes you just give the automated form their email and they get sent a very straight forward form of questions.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RagnarokAngel posted:

So did you call your recruiter? My followup info took a bit but I got it done.

Yeah, thanks for pushing me to ask, guys. It turned out they were missing one little piece of information from a physical I had three years ago, and never let me know they were waiting on that after I sent in all my other medical followup information. I picked up and sent them the paperwork from that doctor's office and now I'm all cleared, just waiting for placement in the next month or so.

MuadDib
Apr 27, 2008
I recently decided that I wanted to volunteer for the Peace Corps but I have no degree. I understand that there are many volunteers without degrees but that its a lot less likely you will be accepted. I've been working in an Environmental Laboratory the past four years after leaving college in a position that requires a science based bachelor's degree (got the job through a friend, was very lucky). My work experience in a fairly high tech lab might not be directly relatable to anything I'd be doing in a developing nation though. I am going to a public information session this week and will supposedly get a chance to talk to a recruiter one on one, if I don't get that chance I would call one and see if I could get an appointment.

On paper right away I doubt I'll be a competitive candidate. What I want to know is if there are things I can reasonably do without going out and getting a degree that will put me in a decent position to eventually get an invitation. What are the chances I talk to the recruiter and come away with nothing other than "no degree, no chance". Will doing a lot of volunteer work for the next year or so be enough?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

According to the website 90% of people in the Peace Corps have a bachelor's so youre uphill to start. Because it's such a unique situation, you might have to contact a recruiter, it can't hurt.

https://www.peacecorps.gov/apply/now/index.cfm

This form might help you, I think it gives feedback if youre lacking.

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag
Current PCT/V checking in. I swear-in in about 12 hours. If anyone has any questions about PC Kenya or teaching Secondary Science, I can answer them until Thursday afternoon and then I fall off the grid. I'll be going to Maua and teaching Physics and Chemistry.

To everyone in the application process, hang in there and good luck.

Pieter de Hooch fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 14, 2010

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Pieter de Hooch posted:

Current PCT/V checking in. I swear-in in about 12 hours. If anyone has any questions about PC Kenya or teaching Secondary Science, I can answer them until Thursday afternoon and then I fall off the grid. I'll be going to Maua and teaching Physics and Chemistry.

To everyone in the application process, hang in there and good luck.

Good luck. Kenya is one of the locations I'd really like to go (My ideal is Rwanda/Uganda followed by all other S/E Africa).

MuadDib
Apr 27, 2008
After the information session, reading through this thread and doing out of research it seems I am going to have to shelve my Peace Corps plans for the time being. Its just not going to happen without a degree so I figure instead of wasting more time trying to find a way I might as well just go back to school. I was going to have to eventually and I think I've deluded myself into thinking I don't need a degree just because I got lucky and got a good job. It sucks but I think it'll be worth the wait and by the time I get out my job experience combined with my degree should ease the process a bit. It'll be worth waiting a but longer.

This is really an excellent informative thread and though I mostly was lurking I appreciate all of the help offered here by you guys.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Aaaaaaaand after 6 months of on and off again torture I am medically clear. :)

Now to wait for an invite :ohdear:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Happy holidays to all volunteers overseas right now. I know this can be a pretty difficult time of year to be far, far away from family and friends. Especially when the people around you see today as just another Saturday.

Also, my New Year's resolution is to go back through the thread and update the OP with the names, locations, and jobs of all Peace Corps goons.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
Yay! I found a Peace Corps thread!

Currently serving in Mongolia and have been here about 7 months. I've been told that Mongolia is one of the harder/hardest countries, and it totally could be true- weather (-22F at the moment in my part of the country- which that's warm), the language is hard as balls, and the isolation is pretty crazy. At least we get cell phones! :woop:

Edit:

Also- I'm a heath volunteer... or "healthies" as we call ourselves. During training some of the guys didn't like the name so much, so they tried to change it to Health International Volunteers (or HIV). Didn't go over so well.

And here's my blog: http://pcvkate.blogspot.com/

Private Label fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 5, 2011

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Private Label posted:

Yay! I found a Peace Corps thread!

Currently serving in Mongolia and have been here about 7 months. I've been told that Mongolia is one of the harder/hardest countries, and it totally could be true- weather (-22F at the moment in my part of the country- which that's warm), the language is hard as balls, and the isolation is pretty crazy. At least we get cell phones! :woop:

Edit:

Also- I'm a heath volunteer... or "healthies" as we call ourselves. During training some of the guys didn't like the name so much, so they tried to change it to Health International Volunteers (or HIV). Didn't go over so well.

And here's my blog: http://pcvkate.blogspot.com/

We had a few Mongolia volunteers come down to Cambodia for vacation while I was there, and they had some crazy stories. To give everyone a sense of the isolation you are talking about, if you wanted to go to the capital, how long would it take you to get there?

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Moon Slayer posted:

We had a few Mongolia volunteers come down to Cambodia for vacation while I was there, and they had some crazy stories. To give everyone a sense of the isolation you are talking about, if you wanted to go to the capital, how long would it take you to get there?

This sounds familiar. You might have a met a good friend of mine. He said he met some Volunteers in Cambodia summer 2009.

I'm in the Ovorkhangai Province. It takes 2 hours to get to Arvaikheer, the provincial capital and then another 6-8 hours to Ulaanbaatar, our capital. My trip really isn't too bad, because from Arvaikheer to UB is a paved road the entire way. Brand new, just finished last summer... and already filled with pot holes (drat it).

Mongolia is pretty great though.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 5, 2011

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
Do I know you? Or you must know the PCVs in Arvaikheer... they are completely awesome, and I hope I can visit them this year. One of them wanted me to come for Christmas, but since we had just finished IST I didn't want to leave my agency again. Plus I was tired with all the bus trips.

Moon Slayer posted:

I live in Sukhbaatar aimag (province). I'm in the capital of Sukhbaatar so for me it's about 11 hours or so, 10 hours if the guy really books it (add 6 more hours for our soumer, who lives in a village within the province). There's no airport so we're not a "fly site" in the winter, sadly, unlike our bros to the north. Going from Ulaanbaatar, there's a paved road until the end of Khentii province which is about half way. Then it's off-roading with a charter bus for 6 more hours, gently caress yeah!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

For comparison, I could get from site to Phnom Pehn in about 2 or 3 hours.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah, I've got one of the longer distances, probably one of the longest for PC Mongolia without flying (I mean, you can always drive from Bayan-Ogii which is the western-most province in Mongolia... which is 3 days straight through mountains and no roads).

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Private Label posted:

Do I know you? Or you must know the PCVs in Arvaikheer... they are completely awesome, and I hope I can visit them this year. One of them wanted me to come for Christmas, but since we had just finished IST I didn't want to leave my agency again. Plus I was tired with all the bus trips.

I live in Sukhbaatar aimag (province). I'm in the capital of Sukhbaatar so for me it's about 11 hours or so, 10 hours if the guy really books it (add 6 more hours for our soumer, who lives in a village within the province). There's no airport so we're not a "fly site" in the winter, sadly, unlike our bros to the north. Going from Ulaanbaatar, there's a paved road until the end of Khentii province which is about half way. Then it's off-roading with a charter bus for 6 more hours, gently caress yeah!

I doubt I've ever met you. I really don't know the M21s outside of ovorkhangai. I've been to your site, though. It took me 15 hours to get from baruun urt to UB, on top of the 5 hours from Dariganga Sum. Also Nimaa is a good friend of mine. If you want, just ask him who lives in Uyanga Sum.

For everyone else, though, these times really aren't bad here. I think 20 hours from Hovsgol is typical, and 30 hours to places out west is common. The record is 73 hours, unless that's changed. If you're in the Gobi... travel is just difficult here. Some people still make the trip out quite often too.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

I doubt I've ever met you. I really don't know the M21s outside of ovorkhangai. I've been to your site, though. It took me 15 hours to get from baruun urt to UB, on top of the 5 hours from Dariganga Sum. Also Nimaa is a good friend of mine. If you want, just ask him who lives in Uyanga Sum.

For everyone else, though, these times really aren't bad here. I think 20 hours from Hovsgol is typical, and 30 hours to places out west is common. The record is 73 hours, unless that's changed. If you're in the Gobi... travel is just difficult here. Some people still make the trip out quite often too.

Ah, tricky... maybe you were helping out with the camp in Dariganga (since you know Nema as well)? I just say that because we've had the camp on the brain the past few weeks since the volunteers are basically in charge of setting up the English camp part this year. And actually, Nema was just here visiting last night! I'll ask him when I see him next. :)

Edit: To all you future volunteers- try not to have english class on a saturday morning. Kind of a drag. (This is one of the only times my hospital can do it... sigh)

Private Label fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 8, 2011

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Another PCV in my group sent me this: So You Want to Join Peace Corps

I gotta say, I had a lot of these negative stereotypes myself my first year. My second year I decided not to rely on Peace Corps or my agency to find meaningful work for me, or fixing situations with my host family, or whatever. I realized complaining about my situation or just accepting it and spending each day miserable isn't any kind of service I was interested in having, and at the end of the day it's up to me to make things better for myself. I know it's an obvious lesson but it's one that took me quite a while to learn. I had some great community members supporting me, and now anytime I go to the office or see another PCV they'll say "Wow, you seem really happy."

So, sorry for my previous posts, I see now that I probably came off as a little pissy. I went from seriously considering an ET to seriously considering an extension now. You know, a raise of readjustment allowance to $375 a month does sound tempting.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I got an e-mail from some Peace Corps guy in Bulgaria that he sent to all the Fulbright Fellows here and the subject was literally 'Collaboration and Saving the World!' It said save the world at least twice in the body of the e-mail. I'm about 99% sure he wasn't attempting irony, and it couldn't have been more stereotypical if he was.

I just thought it was hilarious.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Aggro Craig posted:

Another PCV in my group sent me this: So You Want to Join Peace Corps

I gotta say, I had a lot of these negative stereotypes myself my first year. My second year I decided not to rely on Peace Corps or my agency to find meaningful work for me, or fixing situations with my host family, or whatever. I realized complaining about my situation or just accepting it and spending each day miserable isn't any kind of service I was interested in having, and at the end of the day it's up to me to make things better for myself. I know it's an obvious lesson but it's one that took me quite a while to learn. I had some great community members supporting me, and now anytime I go to the office or see another PCV they'll say "Wow, you seem really happy."

So, sorry for my previous posts, I see now that I probably came off as a little pissy. I went from seriously considering an ET to seriously considering an extension now. You know, a raise of readjustment allowance to $375 a month does sound tempting.

Ugh those Xtranormal things are awful if you're going to use it you might as well just write it out as a blog. It's still good advice though, if a little belligerent.

Edit: Actually, real chat a bit because I'm supposed to be leaving soon. I'm in nominee status still but they're finishing up my invitation (I'm supposed to talk to head of education placement Friday). I'm not delusional enough to buy into the "I want to save the world" nonsense but I want to know, what kept you guys going the time you were serving? Lot of people in this thread are kind of ambiguous about it and leave it at "know you won't save the world". I know it's frustrating, depressing and disgusting experience but what made it all worth it? There had to be something that kept you from just saying "gently caress it" and going home. Specific stories would be nice.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 12, 2011

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Ugh those Xtranormal things are awful if you're going to use it you might as well just write it out as a blog. It's still good advice though, if a little belligerent.

Edit: Actually, real chat a bit because I'm supposed to be leaving soon. I'm in nominee status still but they're finishing up my invitation (I'm supposed to talk to head of education placement Friday). I'm not delusional enough to buy into the "I want to save the world" nonsense but I want to know, what kept you guys going the time you were serving? Lot of people in this thread are kind of ambiguous about it and leave it at "know you won't save the world". I know it's frustrating, depressing and disgusting experience but what made it all worth it? There had to be something that kept you from just saying "gently caress it" and going home. Specific stories would be nice.

It's not a bad thing to go into Peace Corps with altruistic and even lofty goals and ideals. You're devoting two years of your life away from family and friends to serve a purpose. There's a middle ground between delusional and total cynical bastard where most volunteers I know fall, some more to one side or the other, but we all have our moments of elation and of despair.

For me, it's cliche as hell but the little things make it worth it. The other day I was bullshitting with a friend. We were helping at a charity dinner event, talking about the cute girls there and just having a good time, when he says "you know, you're the first white man I really know." I say "poo poo, we should've gotten you a better one!" So much of the culture here is American influenced, and the upper classes all have close ties to and probably spent a good deal of time in America, but for the rest it's usually a combination of what they perceive from media or the tourists who mostly stay cloistered in the resorts. In my community, I have students who see me in town and shout of "Hey, Teach!" It's really nice to being treated for who you are instead of where you're from.

Another specific example would be when my host father asked me if I could help him trim the top of his hedges since I'm a bit taller than him. Afterwords he gave me the biggest mango I've ever seen in my life (seriously, fucker was bigger than a softball). And to prove I'm not forgetting the negatives, after another volunteer and I were held up at gunpoint, my community members all said they'd keep an eye out for me and my place. At first it annoyed me a bit (I felt I was fine and could take care of myself), but then I thought it was sweet that they care. Really, any little thing that reminds me that I'm a part of a community, and have people to look out for me, and people that I look out for, helps on those really unproductive days.

There are more concrete benefits as well. To me, the experience has been a crucible for my career choice and made me really reevaluate what I'll be doing after COS. There's the grad school benefits and non-competitive government eligability (has anyone here taken advantage of this?) that I may take advantage of, and constantly being forced into situations where I'm the minority with experiences and views against the mainstream of my community at first terrified me but now gives me a great confidence whenever I am speaking to people I don't know.

I think this is a great question and I'm really interested to hear from other volunteers what specific stories they have.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm gonna repeat some of what Aggro Craig said, but it is the little things that keep you going on the hard days. And yes, many PCVs have told me straight up that you shouldn't think like you're "saving the world" because in the end it just makes you frustrated and ET.

As for it being a frustrating, depressing experience, I would say I only feel that 25% of the time, mostly frustrated. Not sure how it is in other PC countries, but here everything is mega slow and things don't get done nearly as fast as they do in America. Even having meetings with my counterparts and community members is hard since they seem to get off track easily. But it is the little things that keep you going. Having your counterpart try new English on you. Sitting in a room of Mongolians, not understanding half of what they say, yet they get you into the conversation. When a project actually DOES come together! I once saw a horse's head being chewed on by a dog. I didn't really think anything of it, until I got home and realized a dog was chewing on a loving dead horse's head. I thought it was cool, anyway. People back home don't see that everyday!

As a health volunteer, it's a bit harder to "find my purpose" within the community. Yes, I can say, "I work at the hospital" but then what? TEFLs have their English teaching, then have secondary projects. What the hell is my primary project? And we're supposed to have a secondary? I suppose that's what got me frustrated the most when I first got to site. There was literally nothing for me to do since the hospital was so busy getting ready for an inspection later that month. I sat in a room and played spider solitaire for 8 hours. As the months went, though, things picked up- my English class started, I was looking into grants for projects, and now the new year is here, I'm busier than ever getting ready for English Camp and various other seminars/projects. I still have no idea what my "primary" or "secondary" projects are, but look interested, ask questions, and the work comes to you ((if you have motivated counterparts)).

Overall that keeps me going though, is the sense that hopefully I've affected at least one person's life in some positive way. If even one person speaks a little better English, if one person thinks of America differently (hopefully in a better way), or if even one nurse knows more about nursing practices than when I came here, I would have done my job.

While I was training, host family and I went to the countryside with some of their friends to have a marmot BBQ (small rodent, carries the plague but OH SO TASTY) at my host dad's dad's cabin thing. It was a really cool, just hanging out and watching the marmot cook. When we were eating it, my host dad kept giving me different pieces of the marmot to try. He asked if I liked it, and I said I did. He then said that I was a part of their family, and I was his daughter now. :3: I still go and visit them when I can.

Private Label fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 13, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Thanks those stories are really heart warming. Makes me feel a bit more confident about this.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Private Label posted:

I once saw a horse's head being chewed on by a dog. I didn't really think anything of it, until I got home and realized a dog was chewing on a loving dead horse's head. I thought it was cool, anyway. People back home don't see that everyday!

Haha, those moments are indeed awesome. Once I was in a taxi and the driver got a text message and said "Oh, I need to respond. Hold the wheel." I laughed for a second, and then the car started drifting right, and a truck was coming the other way. I grabbed the wheel and straightened us out, and the driver calmly finished her text message and then said "ok, thanks." A good 10 minutes after I got home I thought to myself "Wait, what the poo poo just happened?"

I also remember at my old site, I was waiting to meet with someone when I see a group of 10-15 young men all crowded around something, shouting and jumping around. I work my way to the circle and see two goats bashing heads, and for only the briefest moment did I think "this is stupid," and then I joined in and watched those goats fight for like 20 minutes. It was pretty entertaining.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

I'm almost done with the initial application here, but I've just hit another snag in that I can't seem to allow any of the ideas that are popping into my head for the essays stick, the "multicultural experience" one particularly. Would writing an essay about the time you were drugged in Belize (the drink was intended for a girl in our group) and all of your friends kept getting mugged be a good idea? If not, does anyone know where I can find examples from people who made it in? I feel like I'm making far too big of a deal out of this last step, but I can't shake the feeling that if I don't make the first cut, it'll be because of this. Did anyone else have a problem like this?

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Did anybody catch the 20/20 episode on Peace Corps girls getting raped overseas? It seems pretty sensationalist, but still upsetting.

quote:

From ABC National News…

More than 1,000 young American women have been raped or sexually assaulted in the last decade while serving as Peace Corps volunteers in foreign countries, an ABC News 20/20 investigation has found.

In some cases, victims say, the Peace Corps has ignored safety concerns and later tried to blame the women who were raped for bringing on the attacks.

Edit: Turns out my original source was biased (thank god). It was the first result when I googled "20/20 peace corps" but I'm telling you, that's the tone that 20/20 segment took, maybe not as overt, but that's how it struck me.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/pressroom/...ations-and.html

PopRocks fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 15, 2011

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Haha, I was going to post something about that. PC Mongolia sent us a email AND a text message about the program just so incase our parents start freaking out and calling us to come home. We had a little discussion about it yesterday, and like one of my site mates said, "yeah, well, every organization isn't perfect... they probably took the very worst cases to report on." It doesn't excuse the fact that women were raped, but yeah, things can fall apart.

quote:

According to the report on 20/20, the Peace Corps does not inform female volunteers of the danger, nor does it provide appropriate security. Victims told 20/20 that Peace Corps officials told them it was their own fault for getting raped.

The first part about not informing of the danger, I can totally call bullshit on. It's true all PC countries are different and run by different people, but in my experience they beat into our heads that it's a possibility. Scared the poo poo outta me for a while during training, actually. They even had sessions stating how many rapes and sexual assaults have gone on in our country and other PC countries. It's a sad fact, but it is a risk that one takes when being a volunteer overseas. They try to prepare us as much as possible, but it's up to us to try to keep ourselves out of that danger... like I said in previous posts, I'm 11 hours away from the capital, Peace Corps isn't right around the corner to hold my hand so I have to try to do what's best for me. That can't prevent all instances of rape, I know.

As for the second part about not providing appropriate security or PC telling them it's their fault (which is really disturbing), I have no idea. Again, PC countries are run by different people, and in an organization of this many people, there are bound to be gently caress ups somewhere along the management line and that really makes me sad for the victims of the rapes and assaults.

The the way, the Peace Corps facebook page is blowin' up with crazy parents shouting "WE'LL START A NATIONAL CAMPAIGN" and "PROTECT OUR BABIES"... jeezus... http://www.facebook.com/peacecorps

Darfuri War Orphan posted:

I'm almost done with the initial application here, but I've just hit another snag in that I can't seem to allow any of the ideas that are popping into my head for the essays stick, the "multicultural experience" one particularly. Would writing an essay about the time you were drugged in Belize (the drink was intended for a girl in our group) and all of your friends kept getting mugged be a good idea? If not, does anyone know where I can find examples from people who made it in? I feel like I'm making far too big of a deal out of this last step, but I can't shake the feeling that if I don't make the first cut, it'll be because of this. Did anyone else have a problem like this?

I probably wouldn't talk about how you were drugged in Belize. They're just looking for how you aren't a racist and how you can work with other cultures, basically. I wrote about my college experiences and my challenges with my roommate who didn't speak that much English and how I handled it. They're really not looking for any earth-shattering experience. Don't sweat it so much!

Edit: Actually, I googled people peace corps essays to get a feel of how they wrote them, so you can try that!

Private Label fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 15, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PopRocks posted:

Did anybody catch the 20/20 episode on Peace Corps girls getting raped overseas? It seems pretty sensationalist, but still upsetting.

http://cofcc.org/2011/01/2020-peace-corps-concealed-hundreds-of-rapes-of-white-female-volunteers/
Over 40% are in Africa and Haiti.

Peace Corps no longer has a mission in Haiti, and Haiti did have many volunteers anyhow.
Why is is grouped together anyhow? Scary black people?

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Yeah it's pretty terrible journalism, they pretty much said in third world counties the men view white women "as prey and rape them with impunity."

Where did I put my pearls so that I can clutch them while forwarding this to my email chain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

PopRocks posted:

Yeah it's pretty terrible journalism, they pretty much said in third world counties the men view white women "as prey and rape them with impunity."

Where did I put my pearls so that I can clutch them while forwarding this to my email chain!

Seriously. It got me pretty angry to read some of those comments, including people wanting to strike the Peace Corps etc (like they're surprised that nothing bad ever happens to good people), ...then I remembered they'll continue with their lives, forget about the whole thing in a week and go onto the next new thing to complain about.

• Locked thread