Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
At US/Canada border crossings, do they ever check to see if you have proof of insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

epsilon-6 posted:

This should be pretty funny to ask here, as it's an entirely serious question, despite the absurdity inherent in it.

You can live in a really nice beach house (where you can see dolphins from the back yard) literally walking distance from Oprah's house. loving beautiful area.

But.

You HAVE to have sex with an old creepy guy every week, multiple times. Whether that's your thing or not. Essentially you are required to be a prostitute all day. All of your bills are paid, and you obviously don't need food.

If you DON'T you are entirely homeless, penniless, and entirely without resources. You have a t-shirt and some jeans, and it's hitting around ~40F at night.

In this 'theoretical' situation, what would YOU do?

This may be a weird question for this thread, but I figured it didn't need its own thread. Although that is exactly the situation I'm in. However goons give lovely advice anyway, especially all you '04+s ;)

Fixed that for you.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 13, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Eamonn posted:

does a pcmcia to usb cable exist? I have a pcmcia card I would like to use on a computer that doesn't have that slot.

If it is a tower computer there are PCI cards that take PCMCIA.

http://bit.ly/gHj5gq

And I know there are PCMCIA to USB adaptors made because I have one that I got with my Cellular Interenet modem. I have never seen them for sale separately, though, but then again I have never looked. I don't have any other PCMCIA cards to try out either so I dot know if it is useful for other things than this cell modem.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

kapalama posted:

Fixed that for you.
i have no personal experience of "shave sex" but it sounds unpleasant so I'd pass.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

PPills posted:

My question concerns Ebay, so maybe I should put it on SHSC, but this seems like a good place to anyway...

Does anyone know if there is such a app/service for Ebay that I can tell it a specific search query, and it will notify me (by email or whatever) every time a new item is listed that matches my query?

So basically, it would have to check Ebay every 1 minute or 5 minutes, and send me an email if there is a new item that pops up.

Something like the built in one on Ebay already there would be good but it only emails me one time per day at 9:00 AM in the morning.

I believe selecting the daily email for your saved searches is the only way. Aside from Buy It Now listings which may be purchased as soon as they're listed, every eBay auction is at least 24 hours so this should be pretty sufficient. What you're describing may be possible through a third party website, but none that I'm familiar with.

You could always send eBay an email requesting this. That might sound futile, but eBay has so many features to it that it's quite possible it could be incorporated at some point.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Eyeball posted:

At US/Canada border crossings, do they ever check to see if you have proof of insurance?

Never happened in my experience, and I can't think of any reason they would check that.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Super Dan posted:

Never happened in my experience, and I can't think of any reason they would check that.

They take your word for it at the DMV, I doubt the border jockey is going to care.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Eamonn posted:

does a pcmcia to usb cable exist? I have a pcmcia card I would like to use on a computer that doesn't have that slot.

I knew if anyone had it, it would be Dealextreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.41452

EDIT: N/M, that's express card. Looks like you're best bet is a [url=http://www.amazon.com/Quatech-PCD-X-U142-CardBus-adapter/dp/B001BEF3YC]crappy $150 adapter on Amazon[/url, unless you have a desktop then PCI adapters are plentiful..

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 13, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

DELETED posted:

I've met lots of people who did lots of meth. It tends to catch up to you eventually.

Much in the same way a train catches up with a car sitting on the tracks.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

epsilon-6 posted:

You HAVE to smoke methamphetamine every day, multiple times. Whether that's your thing or not. Essentially you are required to be high on meth all day. All of your bills are paid, and you obviously don't need food.

People have this idea that meth is inherently extremely destructive to everyone who takes it, but the reality is that methamphetamine is still a schedule 2 drug. Doctor's don't prescribe it much anymore because of the stigma attached to meth, but there are ADD children out there on playgrounds right now on prescription meth.

So yes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

epsilon-6 posted:

This should be pretty funny to ask here, as it's an entirely serious question, despite the absurdity inherent in it.

You can live in a really nice beach house (where you can see dolphins from the back yard) literally walking distance from Oprah's house. loving beautiful area.

But.

You HAVE to smoke methamphetamine every day, multiple times. Whether that's your thing or not. Essentially you are required to be high on meth all day. All of your bills are paid, and you obviously don't need food.

If you DON'T you are entirely homeless, penniless, and entirely without resources. You have a t-shirt and some jeans, and it's hitting around ~40F at night.

This may be a weird question for this thread, but I figured it didn't need its own thread. Although that is exactly the situation I'm in. However goons give lovely advice anyway, especially all you '04+s ;)

Die penniless of exposure in a back alley. I'd never live that close to Oprah.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Very Strange Things posted:

I remember Tatyana Ali, as a young girl in the eighties, on some TV show saying her name over and over again. I thought it was on that The Cosby Show when Stevie Wonder has a sampling keyboard but IMDB says she was only on one TCS in a Rudy-centric episode about a school dance as "girl".
It says she was on Sesame Street a bunch, but I really don't think I watched that show at that time unless it was on incidentally.
Anyone have any idea what I'm thinking of?

Yes, and it was Sesame Street, with Stevie Wonder.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
get oprah hooked on meth and championing it to her fans. Free eight-balls under their seats in the audience.

marry her.

kill her. (I was cutting up an onion officer, she stumbled and fell onto the knife 5 or 6 times)

profit.

spend billions on more meth.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Melicious posted:

quote:

I remember Tatyana Ali, as a young girl in the eighties, on some TV show saying her name over and over again. I thought it was on that The Cosby Show when Stevie Wonder has a sampling keyboard but IMDB says she was only on one TCS in a Rudy-centric episode about a school dance as "girl".
It says she was on Sesame Street a bunch, but I really don't think I watched that show at that time unless it was on incidentally.
Anyone have any idea what I'm thinking of?

Yes, and it was Sesame Street, with Stevie Wonder.

THANK YOU. But I just searched youtube.com and it was actually Herbie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKoisNv1ftw#t=1m32s

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

THANK YOU. But I just searched youtube.com and it was actually Herbie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKoisNv1ftw#t=1m32s

Ha, so it was! Funny how memory distorts things. And Herbie is forever awesome.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
What's the deal with international editions of a textbook? I know the end-of-chapter problems can be different, but is the content typically the same? I have some freakishly expensive textbooks (thermodynamics, digital logic, etc) that are like 150 for even a used copy, but like 25 for the international edition. The instructors have said homework problems will not be coming from the book, so I'm wondering if I can save a crapload by taking this route for some of my books.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Melicious posted:

Ha, so it was! Funny how memory distorts things. And Herbie is forever awesome.

There was an episode of the Cosby Show with Stevie Wonder, though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZObVsOQZs&feature=related

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

It turned out the baking soda and vinegar method works to clear the pipes after all, I just wasn't patient enough. I left the vinegar in there overnight then poured a couple of jugs of boiling water down this morning and it cleared straight up. Thanks, Google. :allears:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Aluminum Record posted:

What's the deal with international editions of a textbook? I know the end-of-chapter problems can be different, but is the content typically the same? I have some freakishly expensive textbooks (thermodynamics, digital logic, etc) that are like 150 for even a used copy, but like 25 for the international edition. The instructors have said homework problems will not be coming from the book, so I'm wondering if I can save a crapload by taking this route for some of my books.

IME international means India, which has different laws and royalties on copyright, and has a favorable exchange rate. If you can get them sent in time, you will be perfectly happy with them. YMMV.

Yes, the problems may well be different to protect the books in the american market, but other than that they are the same given the same edition. Again YMMV.

(Open source textbooks.)

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Gobbeldygook posted:

People have this idea that meth is inherently extremely destructive to everyone who takes it, but the reality is that methamphetamine is still a schedule 2 drug. Doctor's don't prescribe it much anymore because of the stigma attached to meth, but there are ADD children out there on playgrounds right now on prescription meth.

So yes.

I don't think you get how recreational methamphetamine works. Desoxyn, which is a lot different than the Adderall and Ritalin they typically prescribe children, is taken in a pill. Recreational meth is usually snorted, smoked or shot up, which makes the effects much more intense and immediate. Going from zero to high-as-gently caress in the course of a few minutes can really help the addiction process. I haven't met many former meth addicts, but I have met a lot of meth addicts.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Aluminum Record posted:

You'll probably be good. I've got a buddy who got through 4 years of Computer Engineering on international editions. Some of the books even had the same problem sets, although most didn't. Otherwise, the content was identical.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

DELETED posted:

Recreational meth is usually snorted, smoked or shot up.

Ew, ew, and hmmmm. I guess if someone else cooked it up for me, I'd take meth house over homeless. Too bad there isn't a pill form (other than the kiddie version).

I don't get the "HAVE" to part. Like, gun to your head? Can you fake it?

Also, the anal sex, they have those numbing gels, and as long as the guy isn't into a lot of foreplay, it doesn't sound TOO horrible either.

There should be a Would You Rather thread.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

That70sHeidi posted:

There should be a Would You Rather thread.

There should be a "would you rather..." subforum..

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 14, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
There's horrible annoying commercials on TV here all the time for 2 local fire/flood restoration companies, at the end they always say they'll "pay up to $1000 of your deductible!"

How do they do that/say that?

I mean if you have damage and you're good buddies with someone who works at the restoration place, he could probably add 1000 to the quote he sends the insurance company but they can't do that for everyone and advertise it, that's some kind of fraud right?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Up to $1000 includes $0.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Spermando posted:

I'm looking for a gaming website that had a stark black and white design. The reviews they uploaded were long-winded rants about nothing in particular. Does anyone remember that place?

Old Man Murray?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://insomnia.ac/ ?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Got a netbook and ipod shuffle for Christmas, do I need to download iTunes to load songs on to the ipod or could I use something a little less resource-heavy?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
It needs to be iTunes unless you download a different operating system for your iPod, like RockBox. Nope, I guess Rockbox doesn't work on a shuffle. It's gotta be iTunes.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
Winamp was able to load music onto my Shuffle.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Interesting. Is Winamp better than iTunes or did you just already have it installed? I have a lot of :filez: music and I don't know if the shuffle will accept it tbh

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Your music will load so long as its in a format the iPod will take (i.e. not wma, flac, ogg). Why would people share DRM'd music that isn't playable on more than one device/account?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Say someone dies, their heart stops beating and they are braindead. How long will it be before every cell in the body is dead?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

gwar3k1 posted:

Your music will load so long as its in a format the iPod will take (i.e. not wma, flac, ogg). Why would people share DRM'd music that isn't playable on more than one device/account?

No idea I thought Apple blocked stuff like this so you couldn't copy illegally downloaded music on to their devices. If this makes me sound naive then so be it I guess

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Anjow posted:

Say someone dies, their heart stops beating and they are braindead. How long will it be before every cell in the body is dead?

Mere minutes as every single cell depends on constant delivery of nutritions and air. If you are thinking about "fingernails grow even after death" this is wrong. The skin recedes and it only looks like the nails grew longer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Breath Ray posted:

No idea I thought Apple blocked stuff like this so you couldn't copy illegally downloaded music on to their devices. If this makes me sound naive then so be it I guess

The iPod will play any MP3 or AAC file. It doesn't care where you got it from, you just have to get it into the device.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Mere minutes as every single cell depends on constant delivery of nutritions and air. If you are thinking about "fingernails grow even after death" this is wrong. The skin recedes and it only looks like the nails grew longer.

It's bizarre that your username is so Googleable.

To answer my own question from a ways back in the thread, yes: apparently iPhoto sorts pictures in a given event by time automatically. I was inside shooting something while my girlfriend was outside shooting, and the photos were placed side by side in the event. So there you go.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

Apple does not even have DRM on audio files it sells now through iTunes. (Videos are still DRM locked though). At one time iTunes default format AAC was not widely supported but that is now years ago.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Spermando posted:

I'm looking for a gaming website that had a stark black and white design. The reviews they uploaded were long-winded rants about nothing in particular. Does anyone remember that place?

http://www.actionbutton.net/

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the most convenient way to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with the console and a PC (with the wireless adapter) in the same room? It seems like it could only be paired with one at a time, and pressing the Xbox button on the controller turns the console on in any case.

Anyone manage to set something like this up?