Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Lilosh posted:

Well I'll be damned. The registrar just released the cutoff for the top 10%. Due to a slight optional increase in the allowable curve, a 3.81 ended up the top 10% of Cornell's 1L class. My 3.77 would have been in the top 10% any semester except this one.

Well gently caress. Somehow the "top 15%" or whatever it might be doesn't sound quite as awesome.

God I hate when I get resumes on my desk with poo poo like "top 10%" written on it. I can see your transcript - I don't need to see it on your resume as well. I remember last year I interviewed a girl who had a line on her resume that said something like "top 5% in my legal writing class". No idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

commish posted:

God I hate when I get resumes on my desk with poo poo like "top 10%" written on it. I can see your transcript - I don't need to see it on your resume as well.

When submitting applications, I think most applicants assume that you (the hiring person) will DEFINITELY look at the resume but may not look at the transcript, so they put 10% on the resume to make sure you are aware of their class rank. Also, I don't know if all transcripts tell you the class rank? I don't think my GULC one does.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

commish posted:

God I hate when I get resumes on my desk with poo poo like "top 10%" written on it. I can see your transcript - I don't need to see it on your resume as well.

Since when do law schools print that information on their transcript? I've seen transcripts from half a dozen law schools and not one of them had that information on it.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Since when do law schools print that information on their transcript? I've seen transcripts from half a dozen law schools and not one of them had that information on it.

Class rank? Some transcripts definitely do, but what I was talking about are someone's grades. I don't particularly care if someone is in the top 10% of their class, or the top 15%. It's not as if I'd give a guy a thumbs up if he's top 10% but not if the same guy was top 15%. Maybe I'm in the minority on this.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

commish posted:

Class rank? Some transcripts definitely do, but what I was talking about are someone's grades. I don't particularly care if someone is in the top 10% of their class, or the top 15%. It's not as if I'd give a guy a thumbs up if he's top 10% but not if the same guy was top 15%. Maybe I'm in the minority on this.

I think people are saying that the grades are completely meaningless without the percentile rank there. Sure, if someone has 10 As in 10 classes they are obviously a good student, but what if they have 3 Bs, 3 B+s and 4 As. Add in the fact that every school's curve is different and it causes headaches.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

commish posted:

God I hate when I get resumes on my desk with poo poo like "top 10%" written on it. I can see your transcript - I don't need to see it on your resume as well. I remember last year I interviewed a girl who had a line on her resume that said something like "top 5% in my legal writing class". No idea why.

Oh, I didn't actually plan on writing it on my resume (Although I did put "Dean's List" under the "Academic Honors" section that our beloved career services suggests)

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Tetrix posted:

I think people are saying that the grades are completely meaningless without the percentile rank there. Sure, if someone has 10 As in 10 classes they are obviously a good student, but what if they have 3 Bs, 3 B+s and 4 As. Add in the fact that every school's curve is different and it causes headaches.

Those schools without "normal" grading systems cause the most headaches. Why do they insist on being different!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Holland Oats posted:

How did your friend like it?? I think that SDNY criminal prosecution is my overall top choice.

Just so you know, I sent an unofficial transcript with my application (December 1) and at my interview the AUSA said I didn't need to send in my actual grades until I had them, and that they generally didn't require them either way.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

commish posted:

You're weird. Everyone should have their class rank on their resume (if it's good). A good class rank impresses people and transcripts are virtually useless because they don't give you comparative information.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Copernic posted:

You're weird. Everyone should have their class rank on their resume (if it's good). A good class rank impresses people and transcripts are virtually useless because they don't give you comparative information.

If I get a transcript with all Bs, I'm pretty sure they aren't at the top of their class. If they have all A/A-, then I'm pretty sure that they are. For everyone else, the percentile really doesn't matter. I guess other firms might have hard cut-off or whatnot.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

commish posted:

Those schools without "normal" grading systems cause the most headaches. Why do they insist on being different!

You mean all of them? No two schools are going to have the exact same grades equal the exact same percentile of the class, even if they do happen to have the same curve.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

You mean all of them? No two schools are going to have the exact same grades equal the exact same percentile of the class, even if they do happen to have the same curve.

No poo poo. I was talking about schools that use pass/high pass/whatever, Chicago's system, etc.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Lots of schools don't provide any information about class ranking (including mine). I have no idea what to do with employers who ask me about my class rank in those situations. I can guestimate based on my transcript and the curve, but it really doesn't do much good.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

commish posted:

No poo poo. I was talking about schools that use pass/high pass/whatever, Chicago's system, etc.

Yeah, but you nebulize most of the class anyway so I don't get why you care.

Edit: You should be more angry at/thrown off by the reality that some schools have 3.3 curves and some have 2.5 curves.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

Yeah, but you nebulize most of the class anyway so I don't get why you care.

Edit: You should be more angry at/thrown off by the reality that some schools have 3.3 curves and some have 2.5 curves.
UMN let each prof pick their curve.
Which means if your con law prof picked a 3.0 curve and another section pucked a 3.3, you were completely hosed and could never explain it to anyone properly.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 14, 2011

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

nm posted:

Which means if your con law prof picked a 3.0 curve and another section pucked a 3.3, you were completely hosed and could never explain it to anyone properly.

What, seriously? This is a real thing?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
My curve would be 4.0 but I would require a blowjob.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
There would be a hundred student long waitlist.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

nm posted:

haha, this is awesome

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.
Hey guys I have to choose between two 1-credit courses: 1) 10 page paper in 11 pt font; 2) 12 page paper in 12 pt font. Since I wasn't on law review, I have no idea which one requires the least amount of effort.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

nm posted:

I thought this was common across all law schools. At my school there are two kinds of people who take Con Law II: those who take the 3.8 curve, no attendance policy, 50 T/F final course and those who take the 2.7 curve, 4 hour closed book course.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Daico posted:

Yes. loving retarded.
It think it had to be within 3.0-3.3, but that is still huge given the narrow spread of GPAs.

Our small classes, however, were curve free, so a pro-tip is to take small classes as without the curve to hide behind wouldn't give out less than a B+. Of course, you couldn't really pull this of until second semester of 2L, so your GPA in terms of your 2L summer was hosed (and so were you)

blar posted:

I thought this was common across all law schools. At my school there are two kinds of people who take Con Law II: those who take the 3.8 curve, no attendance policy, 50 T/F final course and those who take the 2.7 curve, 4 hour closed book course.
Problem was in our school you didn't get to choose which one. It was all dumb luck. Some people lucked out and got the first, I however, got hosed.
In 2L you can choose your prof, but as everyone knows only your 1L grades matter anyhow in terms of getting a job.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 14, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Daico posted:

Yes. It realllllly sucked when I looked at grade distribution at the end of the semester and noticed that of my five professors, four were the four harshest graders.

But, hey, all we did after that (2L and 3L) was cherry pick the easiest graders and/or classes where there was no curve. That's why there was a 40 person waitlist for one evidence class and 75 empty seats in the other. In conclusion, it was really easy going from straight Bs to straight As.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

entris posted:

When submitting applications, I think most applicants assume that you (the hiring person) will DEFINITELY look at the resume but may not look at the transcript, so they put 10% on the resume to make sure you are aware of their class rank. Also, I don't know if all transcripts tell you the class rank? I don't think my GULC one does.

GULC doesn't rank. At the end of the year you'll know if you're top third because you'll make the Dean's List.

By the way, people at the top third at GULC are on the Dean's List. People in the top third at CLS are Harlan Fiske Stone Scholars.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Also the waitlist for like... every single class here is a mile long. The only class without people on the waitlist is like.. admiralty law (with 67 open slots).

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

billion dollar bitch posted:

Also the waitlist for like... every single class here is a mile long. The only class without people on the waitlist is like.. admiralty law (with 67 open slots).

This shouldn't be a problem, so long as you abused the lottery system like everyone else. If you aren't currently registered for 25 hours and aren't on 30 waitlists you aren't doing it right.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

TheBestDeception posted:

This shouldn't be a problem, so long as you abused the lottery system like everyone else. If you aren't currently registered for 25 hours and aren't on 30 waitlists you aren't doing it right.

i do not know how to perform this lawmove

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

That's why there was a 40 person waitlist for one evidence class and 75 empty seats in the other.
What's sad is Cribari is a much better evidence teacher, he just grades his big classes like an rear end in a top hat.
Strangely, his advanced evidence class is an easy A because it is a small one.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Don't go, part-time job, get hosed:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_grad_with_no_plan_to_repay_debt_fails_character_and_fitness_mandate_ohi/

quote:

Griffin had $170,000 in student-loan debt and $16,500 in credit-card debt. He earns $12 an hour at his part-time job with the PD.

“We accept the board’s findings of fact and conclude that the applicant has neglected his personal financial obligations by electing to maintain his part-time employment with the Public Defender’s Office in the hope that it will lead to a full-time position upon passage of the bar exam, rather than seeking full-time employment,” the opinion says.

Opinion:
https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2011/2011-ohio-20.pdf

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 14, 2011

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Are you loving kidding me? Doing a case law search for my school's name today I came upon a C&F decision for a woman who killed her child and was still admitted.

I know it's Canada but come on, this is just vile.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

FFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Ohio.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

tau posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Ohio.

Based upon the foregoing, we agree that the applicant has failed to
prove that he possesses the requisite character, fitness, and moral qualifications
for admission to the practice of law.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Reading the actual opinion, it looks like the guy failed the bar 3 times and keeps beating his head against a brick wall.

I think they're saving him and his family from himself.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

tau posted:

Reading the actual opinion, it looks like the guy failed the bar 3 times and keeps beating his head against a brick wall.

I think they're saving him and his family from himself.

This would be admirable if they just denied everybody from <top 10%/T14.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

nm posted:

nm posted:

Yes. loving retarded.
It think it had to be within 3.0-3.3, but that is still huge given the narrow spread of GPAs.

Yeah, the "new optional bump in the allowable curve" I mentioned earlier was that Cornell adopted this.

Last year: 3.35 curve per class
As of this semester: Classes can be curved anywhere between 3.2 - 3.5

"Faculty grading policy calls upon each faculty member to grade a course, including problem courses and seminars, so that the mean grade for JD students in the course approximates 3.35 (the acceptable variation can range between 3.2 and 3.5)."

It seems as though the 10% cutoff rose about .1 and the 30% (dean's list) cutoff rose about 0.15, so teachers seem to be grading up from the old curve.

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 14, 2011

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

I assumed the ABA article was overblown and there was some real reason for the denial that didn't make it into the article, like the court found the guy raped kittens in his spare time AND defaulted on his loans. Nope, the court just found the guy's part time job just wasn't enough to pay the bills so they denied his C&F.

The moral of the story is apparently that it is far better to be an unemployed lump "looking" for a full time job than to be a useful member of society doing public service.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Sooo I got middle to below average grades this semester, I should drop out of my t14 and work at Starbucks, correct?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I could have sworn I'd lost my capacity for anger towards the legal profession a while ago but nope guess not

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I was reading The Secret Ambition of Deterrence by Kahan today (113 Harv L Rev 413) on the bus ride home today and this paragraph made me laugh for like a minute:

quote:

The deterrence arguments both for and against hate crimes display all the shortcomings characteristic of this species of justification. To begin with, they are empirically speculative. The "impulsive" nature of hate crimes can cut either way. Perhaps additional punishment will have no effect and thus be wasted, as critics of hate crime laws (such as Richard Posner) suggest. Or perhaps as deterrence theorists (including Richard Posner) have emphasized in other contexts, the prospect of extra punishment might be just what it takes to counteract the strength of these killers' impulses. Alternatively, if these offenders are so consumed with unreasoning hate that no punishment of any size will deter them, then (as Richard Posner has stressed outside the hate crimes context) incarcerating them for longer periods of time or even executing them might be cost-justified for purposes of incapacitative specific deterrence because offenders of that sort clearly are very dangerous. Or maybe not, because hate criminals are generally youthful (Richard Posner reminds us) and can be expected to mellow with age.

I want to cherish this paragraph forever and frame it like some people frame a prayer or the constitution

Petey fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Petey posted:

I want to cherish this paragraph forever and frame it like some people frame a prayer or the constitution

Why? I don't understand you, Petey.