Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nucleic Acids posted:

Actually, it was another member of Yoda's species who killed a random Dark Jedi inside the cave, and whose blood seeped into the ground.

It was a Zahn book which introduced the basic story outline, featuring Yoda during or around the Clone Wars.

Then some total loving tool took that outline and stuck it into the prehistory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

arioch posted:

Then some total loving tool took that outline and stuck it into the prehistory.

What would be the point of doing that? I mean, yeah, EU writers and all that, but why not do the comic within the outline Zahn gave?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Roboto posted:

You mean, the person who made them? Droids would be perfectly 100% aware of their origins and thus, being rational thinkers, would be grateful to the one who built them.

In Episode II (yes, yes, I'm touching the prequels, with my bare hand), didn't C3PO outright call Anakin "The Maker"? Or am I misremembering?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
You would be right. (why do I know that, why?)

Not sure what it does for the robo-religion thing. It's odd that C-3PO considers Anakin his maker anyway. Seeing as there's plenty other drat near identical droids wandering around its more likely that Anakin put 3PO back together using spare parts.

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer

Slantedfloors posted:

You know, I've seen that picture before and not noticed it, but you're completely right - that actually is a dead-on caricature of Josef Stalin.

What the gently caress?

I know this is a few pages back but if you look at the guy all the way in the back on the left, it is Lenin.

Edit: Never mind--I missed that post completely. Hooray for space Communism!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Powered Descent posted:

In Episode II (yes, yes, I'm touching the prequels, with my bare hand), didn't C3PO outright call Anakin "The Maker"? Or am I misremembering?

All Droids worship Darth Vader. It's the only rational choice. :awesomelon:

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
What does the "TK" in Stormtrooper designations mean?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Mmtheblue posted:

What does the "TK" in Stormtrooper designations mean?
Canonically? Absolutely nothing. It's just part of a serial number. There's also TB, LX, DSS, TBR, etc. TK just happens to be the most common because writers want to reference the movies.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Loved this.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
While randomly broswing Wookieepedia I came across this.

quote:

The Jedi Academy Training Manual erroneously states that Mon Mothma was at one time possessed by the spirit of Exar Kun.[49]

What?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

What would be the point of doing that? I mean, yeah, EU writers and all that, but why not do the comic within the outline Zahn gave?

As I recall, it's because one of the ROTS deleted scenes from the ending had Yoda landing on Dagobah, and the script said something like "Yoda looks at the strange surroundings." So the guy in charge of LFL continuity made a giant stretch and decided that because the area was "strange" to Yoda it meant he had never been anywhere on Dagobah before in his life.

Nckdictator posted:

What?

Whoever wrote that probably read a brief synopsis of the Jedi Academy Trilogy, which had Exar Kun possessing other people and Mon Mothma getting poisoned, and conflated the two events.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Chairman Capone posted:

Whoever wrote that probably read a brief synopsis of the Jedi Academy Trilogy, which had Exar Kun possessing other people and Mon Mothma getting poisoned, and conflated the two events.

Ah, that makes sense now, it just seemed completely random at first.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

As I recall, it's because one of the ROTS deleted scenes from the ending had Yoda landing on Dagobah, and the script said something like "Yoda looks at the strange surroundings." So the guy in charge of LFL continuity made a giant stretch and decided that because the area was "strange" to Yoda it meant he had never been anywhere on Dagobah before in his life.

:argh:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LLJKSiLk posted:

Loved this.

We need more of this and less of this fan fiction garbage :(

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

There's also the B'omarr monks who appear in Galaxy of Fear, and the Dark Forces novelization.

Click here for the full 352x928 image.

B'omarr comin'.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

What?

It's just one of those Star Wars fanboy bullshit corrections they feel compelled to note on Wookieepedia and complain about on TF.N. Yes, Saga Edition sometimes typed the wrong names into the sentence, but it gave a lot more than it harmed. It's the kind of mistake that someone who's read the bulk of books and comics would never make, but frankly, most authors aren't obsessed Star Wars fans and can't afford to be for the peanuts LFL pays for their work.

It doesn't even risk changing continuity since it's just the occasional error. It's not like ret-conning Mandalorian culture into self-parody, KT style. But it brings out all of the nerd rage.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Decius posted:

Vader seems to be what a Legatus was for the Romans. Directly appointed by the Emperor for special tasks but not necessarily supreme commander over all aspects in a province.
Somewhat—the office predates the Principate and, what's more, descends from the same root as legion and legislator—which is to say a legate is a legal representative. Even into the Dominate, certain Republican forms were adhered to.

Being as Vader was a freedman, of indeterminate rank during his military service and never getting to so much as a quaestorship afterward —not even an aedile!—it's not likely he would be of sufficient rank to be a legate even if one were to stretch the
comparison between the Roman Empire and the Star Wars Empire to the snapping point.

Even well shy of that point, it becomes ludicrous to compare the two empires, because they share three features: Legions, a Senate, and an Emperor (in the modern sense). For instance, the Roman Senate was not a strictly legislative body. Aside from the senatus consultum ultimatum, it was a deliberative body. Any legislation proposed had to be ratified by the assemblies.

Maybe I should just stop now.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Well, the Czech cover to Heir to the Empire is um...well it's...

This.

Speaking of Heir to the Empire... http://www.eucantina.net/archives/9605

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 14, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god Chewbacca with downs and femmy Han Solo are beginning to be put in an avatar for this thread.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think the vaguely Asian Thrawn would be a good avatar.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Hahaha those fingers...I bet his girlfriend loves them!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nckdictator posted:

I think the vaguely Asian Thrawn would be a good avatar.

Thrawn the Merciless

Arktul
Nov 7, 2009

by Fistgrrl
is there ever anything in the star wars EU that touches upon the ethics of using millions of short-lived, expendable humans as an army?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arktul posted:

is there ever anything in the star wars EU that touches upon the ethics of using millions of short-lived, expendable humans as an army?

Karen Traviss spends about seventeen books talking about how that's ONE of the reasons that the Jedi are horrible monsters that don't hold a candle to the amazingly awesome Mandalorians. :jerkbag:

Arktul
Nov 7, 2009

by Fistgrrl
what does she specifically say about that? does anyone other than travis touch upon it, atleast more fairly?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Maybe how the Jedi use clones is a social commentary on how the populace and/or elite have become disconnected from war. It's just a nightly news blurb or a number on the ticker. Soldiers are just faceless, expendable bodies.

But that'd be giving too much credit to Lucas, methinks.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
I just checked out the Making of Empire Strikes Back from my local library.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arktul posted:

what does she specifically say about that? does anyone other than travis touch upon it, atleast more fairly?

Traviss basically says that the Jedi are evil because they use the clones as slaves, don't treat them like real people, etc. Despite the fact that even in her books the clones all love what they do, get paid, have shore leave, have names, etc., and pretty much every non-Traviss author has the Jedi be far more nuanced in their views of the clones. It's actually the Jedi who are the ones who first start encouraging the clones to take names precisely because it will help make them more individual. Not to mention I think just applying the term "slave army" to the Star Wars universe, where cloning and its ramifications has been around for tens of thousands of years, is far too simplistic.

It's funny, most Traviss fans say something like "She's the only author who ever touched upon the ethics of the clone army!" but I remember a lot of the Clone Wars EU from before she was around had it as a theme. It's a pretty big theme in the Cestus Deception novel (where clones and their culture is a big feature, as well as a clone slowly becoming more like a 'real' person) and the Republic comic series featured it a LOT, also.

Besides...say the Jedi didn't take command of the clone army. Either the clones would basically just sit around and do literally nothing for the rest of their lives, the Kaminoans would have junked them or sold them to someone else and the Republic wouldn't have had a military and would have collapsed immediately, or Republic bureaucrats would have taken control of the army and there would probably have been even higher casualties without trained warriors leading them. And in all those cases the Jedi probably would have been castigated for NOT taking control of the army. They're in a no-win situation there.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny, most Traviss fans say something like "She's the only author who ever touched upon the ethics of the clone army!" but I remember a lot of the Clone Wars EU from before she was around had it as a theme. It's a pretty big theme in the Cestus Deception novel (where clones and their culture is a big feature, as well as a clone slowly becoming more like a 'real' person) and the Republic comic series featured it a LOT, also.

This is definetly the case from what I remember, as there it did seem like it was made clear that the Jedi did view them as individuals (not universally, I think, but for the most part), and did care enough about them not to treat them as disposable people (in the way a number of Republic bureaucrats did.)

But then, given Traviss' apparent pride in the fact that she never read the material of anyone else in the EU, it's not surprising that would never come up for her.

In fact, while they weren't free from problems, I would say the Republic comics were a high point of the EU.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 14, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donkey Kunt posted:

I just checked out the Making of Empire Strikes Back from my local library.
Really good? I'm thinking of buying it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nucleic Acids posted:

I would say the Dark Horse comics were a high point of the EU.

I would go so far as to say that every Star Wars comic I read from that period, I enjoyed. There was writing, drama, development, and subtlety on a level so far beyond the prequels that comparisons are hardly fair. They occasionally made me think "Well, the movies were terrible, but if they led to this, is it a net gain?"

But of course, if the prequels had been good, that wouldn't have stopped anyone from making good derivative works.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

In fact, while they weren't free from problems, I would say the Republic comics were a high point of the EU.

I read some of the early 90s comics - DE, Tales of the Jedi, some of Rogue Squadron. It was the Republic Clone Wars arc that got me to start reading SW comics again. It's definitely easy to see how the Dark Horse staff were making what they thought Lucas SHOULD have been making.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
I just got this framed, pretty proud of it :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

I read some of the early 90s comics - DE, Tales of the Jedi, some of Rogue Squadron. It was the Republic Clone Wars arc that got me to start reading SW comics again. It's definitely easy to see how the Dark Horse staff were making what they thought Lucas SHOULD have been making.

A majority of the Star Wars comics do not suck, it translates excellently to comic form if you ask me a whole.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Wompa164 posted:

This is pretty awesome.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've been wanting to ask this question for a drat week since I got on probation.

Now, anyone start reading the Knight Errant comic series? How about TOR? How are they, at least compared to KoTOR and Legacy?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've been wanting to ask this question for a drat week since I got on probation.

Now, anyone start reading the Knight Errant comic series? How about TOR? How are they, at least compared to KoTOR and Legacy?

I picked up the first issue of Knight Errant but it didn't hook me, Jedi fighting Sith has gotten stale.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Wompa164 posted:

That is really loving awesome.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Arktul posted:

It's not exactly EU and as children's show not very nuanced or sophisticated, but the CGI Clone Wars series does have several episodes concerning the use of disposable soldiers and/or how they are actually more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

"Slave army" is still a redundant term. As far as I know, the punishment for wartime desertion in several countries is death. And drafting is not exactly voluntary either.

Anyway: Question! I just finished reading Outbound Flight, what with the Chiss being discovered by the republic and all. What I don't get is: How come that in thousands of years no one has tried expanding the republic into Chiss space or even set up a smuggling base or something out there? Or for that matter, how have the Chiss been so bloody pacifistic for thousands of years that they didn't even care about checking out the rest of the galaxy?

Also, the whole Outbound Flight: Why on earth is a project like that started in time of crisis? A thousand years of peace seems like the perfect time to get some exploration and science done.