Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Heh, more laziness than anything. There's also the fact that I browse the forums with avatars turned off so I don't even see it.

It's also become accurate once again with the purchase of his new one :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

CrazyLittle posted:

Serious question:

I'm about to take delivery on a 2011 Outback 3.6r, and I live near San Francisco. I plan to take this car up to Tahoe. Do I need snow tires, or will the all-seasons it comes with be good enough?

If I'm going to get snow tires, I was planning on just getting a complete set of wheels so that I could swap them out, but I'm seeing a bunch of stuff about difficulty changing the system's TPMS sync. Should I even bother with any of that?

They wouldn't be strictly necessary, but would help in snowy conditions. As for the TPMS you could just ignore it when you're on the snow tires if you don't want to get new sensors for the new wheels.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I put a deposit down on a base silver 5 door wrx yesterday, the dealer is promising 5-7 weeks as they (apparently) ordered it for their normal inventory several weeks ago.

We'll see. It'd actually be nice if it came in March, I don't want to drive on anything resembling snow with those tires. Will get a good set of all seasons on it for next winter.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I sold my 87 GL wagon and picked up this 98 Impreza L wagon on thursday. I've been liking it a lot so far since it's 50hp/tq more than my GL was. It's been weird getting used to AWD again since it's been a couple years since I had my 2.5RS coupe.

I got it for $1600 so naturally it's got some issues. There is one bad rust spot and a few parts where the paint is bubbled up. I don't think they'll be too hard to fix though. One fender is dented. both bumpers and hood need paint. The clutch slips sometimes. Horn doesn't work and neither do the windshield washers. The exhaust also whistles past 3500rpm like a turbo which is pretty amusing but annoying at the same time. All in all though, I think it was well worth the price since imprezas are hard to find in the PNW for any reasonable price, let alone a manual wagon.

My plans as money allows are: new clutch w/light weight flywheel, WRX wheels, RS/WRX/STI seats, RS hood, RS fenders, JDM STI front bumper, rear LSD, Single port header (when they're produced again), and some sort of header back exhaust. possibly an OEM WRX/STI axle back so it's not too loud.

It snowed last night so I took it out drifting to get used to the awd.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This single picture has had me poking around for red hawkeyes.

Cat Terrist posted:

SHE'S BACK!

And I guess a 2006 given CT's compliments on the specific suspension setup. Did those suspension vagaries happen with US WRXes?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NinjaTech posted:

The exhaust also whistles past 3500rpm like a turbo which is pretty amusing but annoying at the same time.
A 94 L with a swapped 2.2 I drove for autox had a similar problem. It was weird; I don't know if this is the exhaust leak or not but when you're going WOT it feels like there's this part where the car won't rev anymore and the exhaust leak is screaming. If you lift and then go WOT again right away, the exhaust leak screams some more but revs continue to climb. :confused:

I assume it's some sort of weirdness with the ghetto swap; we found a loose vacuum hose in the engine bay afterward but I'm unsure where it went to.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

This single picture has had me poking around for red hawkeyes.

And I guess a 2006 given CT's compliments on the specific suspension setup. Did those suspension vagaries happen with US WRXes?

Apparently the 06 varies a fair bit on the country, but they all have more alloy suspension bits and different settings to the 07.

I have absolutly no idea why Subaru felt the need to take away good bits from the 07. But then again it's a lot like the 04 XT - that's distinctly faster and better than the subsequent ones. The 04 XT is a quicker car in a straight line than the WRX of the time so pulling it back did make some sense.

HOWEVER - the 07 my partner owns has an R180 STI rear end from the factory so hosed if I know what Subaru are building sometimes. It's almost like they they throw random poo poo on

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A 94 L with a swapped 2.2 I drove for autox had a similar problem. It was weird; I don't know if this is the exhaust leak or not but when you're going WOT it feels like there's this part where the car won't rev anymore and the exhaust leak is screaming. If you lift and then go WOT again right away, the exhaust leak screams some more but revs continue to climb. :confused:

I assume it's some sort of weirdness with the ghetto swap; we found a loose vacuum hose in the engine bay afterward but I'm unsure where it went to.

I've heard of other people having the same issue so I figured it was just a crappy muffler design. I'm fairly certain I don't have any vacuum leaks, I haven't been under the car yet to check the exhaust though.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Crosspost regarding the Phillips X-Tremes:

'02 WRX. Sylvania whatever bulbs ('02 Manufacturing date) to Phillips X-Tremes.

I can't tell a difference at all. Full manual mode on camera. Sorry I didn't have a tripod available (or a better background).

Sylvania old Lowbeam:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Phillips Lowbeam:

Sylvania old Highbeam:

Phillips Highbeam:

So yeah. No big deal, I really only bought them out of interest.

A noticable difference was my miata (stock vs E-code and 80W) bulbs:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

This snow has been absolutely fantastic fun.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
My 2010 WRX is at about 11,000 miles. Should I switch to synthetic with its next oil change (in about 1000 miles I think)? What kind of sage advice do you guys have on the matter?

I'm curious what prompted Subaru to mandate that all 2011 turbo motors require synthetic. I've seen documentation saying that at my dealer (and if I recall, someone quoted some article online that said the same thing). What changed in 2011?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NinjaTech posted:

Horn doesn't work and neither do the windshield washers.

It snowed last night so I took it out drifting to get used to the awd.

Could it just be that there is plain water in the windshield washer tank and it froze? You never know...

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005

Kageneko posted:

This snow has been absolutely fantastic fun.

Hell YES. Coming from my 00 Saab 9-3 this car drives like a loving tank in snow and ice. I love my WRX...

I saw some people talking about fuel, is there a specific company I should be using? I normally just fill up with whatever 93 is available (NC)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

If the smog laws in your area allow you to run your car without cat's, do it. A catless DP is much less expensive than a cat'd DP (usually half the price if not cheaper) and you will get more power out of a catless DP with the added perk of SHOOTING FLAMES FROM THE BACK OF YOUR CAR! YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH

Just like Robosaurus!
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/MarchField2004/Sampler/Robosaurus.jpg
Catless DPs are illegal in every state in the US.
And you have to put the stocker on regardless to pass SMOG anyhow, so Cat or no cat really depends on whether you care about the environment (even a high-flow does a lot of the clean up the air), the smell, 5 hp, or flames.

Blaise posted:

Catless DP or not, its your catback that will really affect the noise level. My friend runs a catted DP on his 3" SPT exhaust and its 10x louder than my catless DP and stock mid/STi tail combo.

My other friend has a prodrive catback with a *STOCK* DP and it's STILL louder than my setup!

Seriously, get the catless DP, OTS tune it, then see if it's loud enough for you. Mine was close enough with just the DP that I knew I didnt want a full aftermarket catback.
Cats are actually a pretty good muffler. Comparing a catted v. catless on the same exhaust is pretty difference in noise.

nm fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 13, 2011

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nm posted:

And you have to put the stocker on regardless to pass SMOG anyhow, so Cat or no cat really depends on whether you care about the environment (even a high-flow does a lot of the clean up the air), the smell, 5 hp, or flames.

Cats are actually a pretty good muffler. Comparing a catted v. catless on the same exhaust is pretty difference in noise.

It's also a $200 difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

syphon posted:

What changed in 2011?

They wanted to market 7500 mile OCIs instead of 3750 mile. That's pretty much it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

nm posted:

Catless DPs are illegal... but in some states they either don't test emissions, or they just do an OBD scan, so it's easy to pass.

For me, catless or not really came down to the $300 extra it costs to get one. I stuck to the $100 DP. I'm all about saving the environment, but in all seriousness the 0.01% of people who run catless is nothing when compared to say, barges that burn near crude oil without any filtering. That's another topic though...

And yes, cats do muffle some noise, but you misread my post... I'm saying that while the cat does muffle things a bit, the catback does the majority of the muffling, as evidenced by the fact that:

-Prodrive catback + stock DP is louder than my setup
-SPT catback + Catted DP is WAY louder than my setup

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We don't even do a plug-in test in Florida. There is zero testing in this state.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
I have a 2010 WRX that came on summer tires that I left at school (New York), while at home (Texas). Will it be okay on plowed roads? I've driven plenty of cars with all seasons and winter tires in snow weather but they were all sub 200hp beaters. I don't know how fast cars, even with 4wd, take to slush.

I only have a few months until I graduate so winter tires are out of the question.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Tatrakrad posted:

I have a 2010 WRX that came on summer tires that I left at school (New York), while at home (Texas). Will it be okay on plowed roads? I've driven plenty of cars with all seasons and winter tires in snow weather but they were all sub 200hp beaters. I don't know how fast cars, even with 4wd, take to slush.

I only have a few months until I graduate so winter tires are out of the question.

You lose traction, you lose traction. No amount of AWD/4WD is gonna save your rear end. How much you have to drive?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

CharlesM posted:

Could it just be that there is plain water in the windshield washer tank and it froze? You never know...

It's got blue washer fluid in there. The rear window squirter works and it looks like there are two pumps on the reservoir.

I'm also having a hard time shifting as of today. Not sure if it's the clutch cable (anyone know how to adjust it?) or if I just need to change the gear oil. The clutch hasn't been slipping so I don't think it's because of that.

Edit: I fixed the shifting issue. The clutch cable nuts backed off so I just turned them down until there wasn't any slack and tightened them.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 14, 2011

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Tatrakrad posted:

Really, really, really bad idea. If it's completely dry, somewhat warm, and nobody cuts you off, you'll be fine. If you need to make an emergency stop, you get ANY snow, or if it gets especially cold (20* or below), you'll be wrecking your nice WRX.

Real talk.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The SP01s aren't bad in the cold, but only if it's bone dry. I wouldn't have them in moisture in anything below 40 degrees. ANY type of frozen precip is a big no.

If new tires aren't in the budget, the car is pretty much going to have to remain parked for the next two months barring an occasional nice day.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just had some Eagle GT's put on the Saabaru of Mystery yesterday. That being said, it will probably never snow in the DC area again. They ended up putting on some slightly wider tires than what I had on before which resulted in much less wheel gap but really shows it's "saggy butt". I'm thinking some new springs with "saggy butt spacers" will be my next purchase.

Also discovered that the alignment hadn't been done in ages on it resulting in some pretty rad wear patterns on the front tires.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 14, 2011

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

c355n4 posted:

You lose traction, you lose traction. No amount of AWD/4WD is gonna save your rear end. How much you have to drive?

Not too much, I put on maybe 20 miles a week if I don't go out for anything. And I know 4wd isn't a free pass on traction.

Blaise posted:

Really, really, really bad idea. If it's completely dry, somewhat warm, and nobody cuts you off, you'll be fine. If you need to make an emergency stop, you get ANY snow, or if it gets especially cold (20* or below), you'll be wrecking your nice WRX.

Real talk.

Sounds like a challenge

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Read any of the "I just wrecked my WRX/STI" threads in NASIOC's Newbie section and if it's pretty much a gaurantee that if it's in the snow, they had stock tires on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JayKay posted:

Read any of the "I just wrecked my WRX/STI" threads in NASIOC's Newbie section and if it's pretty much a gaurantee that they cant drive

Fixed.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Fixed.

Yo, I was taking this corner in the snow at 50mph and the rear-end came out. Do I need a stiffer rear sway bar?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2111609

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is the engine in my WRX gonna blow up with a tank of 87 in it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bombtrack posted:

Unlikely, but I sure as hell wouldnt be driving fast - and also I would be looking to get real fuel in as fast as possible

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Say hello:

~17 miles on the odometer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tatrakrad posted:

You bought a new car and can't afford proper tires?

Don't drive on summer tires in the snow. Check craigslist, you can often find used snow tires pretty cheap (like $100 for 4). They'll be a few seasons old, but as long as they have more than 6/32s, you'll live.

Remember even plowed roads will have ice.

Bombtrack posted:

Can't tell if this is a joke, but with all the detonation issues on Cal 91, I'd avoid. The knock sensor will probably make it OK, but keep out of the boost.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 14, 2011

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

nm posted:

You bought a new car and can't afford proper tires?

Don't drive on summer tires in the snow. Check craigslist, you can often find used snow tires pretty cheap (like $100 for 4). They'll be a few seasons old, but as long as they have more than 6/32s, you'll live.

Remember even plowed roads will have ice.

I'm moving to somewhere that doesn't snow after I graduate in May, a set of useless tires are the last thing I need. I'll have to deal with it I guess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tatrakrad posted:

I'm moving to somewhere that doesn't snow after I graduate in May, a set of useless tires are the last thing I need. I'll have to deal with it I guess.
Craigslist tires were made for you. Almost worn out but will get you where you're going for minimal dollars.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Tatrakrad posted:

BUY A SET OF USED SUBARU WHEELS WITH ALL SEASONS ON THEM.

Jesus. Blows my mind how people will spend $1000 on a turboback but $3-400 for a set of used wheels/tires is totally out of the question. How much is your insurance deductible?

Also, reading that thread makes my head hurt. I can't handle NASIOC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Can't tell if this is a joke, but with all the detonation issues on Cal 91, I'd avoid. The knock sensor will probably make it OK, but keep out of the boost.
From the way it's worded I think he accidentally filled up with 87 instead of 91+ at the pump and wants to know if he has to tow the car or if it's safe to drive and just stay out of boost.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Tatrakrad posted:

I moved out from arizona to a state with copious amounts of snow (Central IL), and ran on summer tires for a year. It was a terrible, horribly dangerous idea, AWD or not. My tires easily lost traction while turning going less than 10 miles an hour. Fortunately, my driving was limited to a 5 mile radius and was all done under 40 mph, but nonetheless, I had to give myself 5 times the amount of breathing room for stopping that someone with a set of low quality all-weathers would. The one time I had to drive on a highway in snowy conditions (an inch or so on the highway before the plows got out) was utterly terrifying - I was that guy with hazards on going 35-45 in the far right after my rear end drifted off the road for a few seconds.

Also, I got stuck in a poorly plowed part of a parking lot while doing donuts (granted, I hit a patch of 10" or so deep snow). On my current Continental DWS's, I wouldn't have been in any trouble at all. Instead I spent 3 hours digging and making ice with my tires, only to give up, call a cab, and wait 2 days for the snow to melt to the point where I could spend another 3 hours with kitty litter and a friend pushing to get me out.

In short, if you're ready to drive all winter unbelievably conservatively, go for it (and if you own a fun subaru, you don't want to drive that way). Otherwise spring for a cheap set of all-weathers.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Tatrakrad posted:

Sounds like a challenge

I posted earlier on about this, but I test drove a 11 on packed snow/deep slush with the factory tires. It was awful, the ABS got a huge workout, the car would go sideways with very little prompting as well.

If I had to drive that car in conditions like that for long, I'd be genuinely scared.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Blaise posted:

BUY A SET OF USED SUBARU WHEELS WITH ALL SEASONS ON THEM.

Jesus. Blows my mind how people will spend $1000 on a turboback but $3-400 for a set of used wheels/tires is totally out of the question. How much is your insurance deductible?

Also, reading that thread makes my head hurt. I can't handle NASIOC.

The car is bone stock, I'm not "that guy" or "lol AI advice conflicts with my opinions so gently caress that", if I was spending more than one winter in a place where it snows I would buy a dedicated set of winter tires no question. If it's worth buying a set of craigslist tires I'll go for it or leave the car locked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tatrakrad posted:

The car is bone stock, I'm not "that guy" or "lol AI advice conflicts with my opinions so gently caress that", if I was spending more than one winter in a place where it snows I would buy a dedicated set of winter tires no question. If it's worth buying a set of craigslist tires I'll go for it or leave the car locked up.

yeaaaah. If you guys are telling him that even small amounts of snow or slush call for a set of snow tires, why did I get a different answer when I would be driving in similar conditions around Lake Tahoe?