Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

edit: India takin' over this thread

Apu's World has some reccommendations for books about India (fiction and non-fiction) by Indians (instead of Westerners).

There are probably more blogs out there with better recs, but this is one that I read fairly regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

xcheopis posted:

Apu's World has some reccommendations for books about India (fiction and non-fiction) by Indians (instead of Westerners).

There are probably more blogs out there with better recs, but this is one that I read fairly regularly.
This is pretty awesome, thanks! I think I'm going to bookmark this and add it to my regular rotation, she sounds like she knows her stuff. I like her recent focus on murder mysteries; I just finished Six Suspects, which is the first Indian murder mystery I've ever read and was wondering if there was any more. Also good to get more Indians on there...I'm always so ashamed to see LibraryThing telling me only 5% of my library is by Indian authors since it counts Rushdie as British, Jhumpa Lahiri as American, etc. :negative:

Would anyone be interested in a separate thread for Indian literature? We've sort of overrun this thread and I think it might be cool if I made one to have our own place to recommend and discuss South Asian lit. If no one's interested I'll just let it go, though.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!
I'd definitely read a thread on South Asian lit, although I wouldn't have a lot to contribute at first. It's one of the areas I'm really lacking in so the more discussion the better, I say!

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
South Asian lit. Nice thread, will die out after a while - as did the Russian and Japanese lit threads - but I'll read it with great interest. Anyone up for it?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

rasser posted:

South Asian lit. Nice thread, will die out after a while - as did the Russian and Japanese lit threads - but I'll read it with great interest. Anyone up for it?
I just tried to make it and got autobanned. Not sure what I did wrong and too scared to try again. :(

If someone more familiar with the rules wants to give it a shot, go right ahead.

edit: wait, I think I saw what I did wrong. I may have used the "Hot" tag without realizing it was mod-only. I am retarded and didn't see the giant flashing sign saying not to use it right next to the text-entry field :saddowns:. I was just going for a dumb pun about how popular Indian lit is in this thread and how hot it is in India/how spicy their food is. Yeah, I know, I've got a terrible sense of humor. Gonna try again.
edit2: Thread's up now!

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 5, 2011

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me
Anyone know a general book about grieving? I'd be particularly interested in one examining the scientific backing (or lack thereof) that explains why funeral homes, funerals, etc. organize things the way they do. Some sort of cross-cultural comparison of how different rites can be would be neat too.

For example, long ago I read parts of This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust, which covered the ways American culture dealt with the extraordinary amounts of death coming out of the Civil war, how it created this idea of the "good death," etc.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm just a few chapters shy of finishing Susan Casey's The Wave and I'm really in love with it. Are there any books that are similiar to it, written like it or have similar topics that relate to this book.

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm just a few chapters shy of finishing Susan Casey's The Wave and I'm really in love with it. Are there any books that are similiar to it, written like it or have similar topics that relate to this book.

I'm reading this right now as well, and have been geeking out over it. A while back, I finished Sweetness and Blood which pretty much goes over the history of surfing, how it spread, and travels to different countries. I think The Wave is tons better, but if you're interested in surfing/travels/a little history you might enjoy it.

I need a gift suggestion though, goons. She just finished reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series and greatly enjoyed it. She recently read The Help for a book club, and a couple others that she's enjoyed that come to mind are The Lovely Bones and The Blind Side. I can get you more recent reads if needed, but those are just what come to mind first thought.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I don't know if this is the right thread for this or not, but has anyone read City of Thieves by Benioff? If you have can you think of any books it's similar to?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this or not, but has anyone read City of Thieves by Benioff? If you have can you think of any books it's similar to?
Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns? It kind of reminds me of City of Thieves, or, rather, CoT reminded me of ATSS. the plots aren't really similar, but it's the same style of "two extremely different people forced together and trying to survive in a war", but ATSS is set in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion and the mujaheddin infighting afterwards.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is there anything else like Checkhov?

Also, I have no experience with this genre, but I recently read Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan and it was awesome. What are similar books that are good?

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Doghouse posted:

Is there anything else like Checkhov?

It depends on what you're thinking of when you think of Chekhov. He had two or three different phases: in Russia I think he's more known for his short stories whereas Americans think of his plays. His early short stories were mostly very short indeed and tended to be funny, the best comparison I can think of is probably James Thurber. His later stories were longer and more serious, like "The Steppe" and "Ward Number Six," these stories aren't very similar to anything else I've read but John Cheever and Raymond Carver are at least somewhat similar.

As for the plays, Chekhov and Henrik Ibsen are often compared, though I'm not sure if that's because their plays are that similar or just because they were active around the same time. I understand that George Bernard Shaw was influenced by Chekhov as well, and he wrote a play called Heartbreak House as an homage to Chekhov.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

So I just tore through the first Wild Cards book in a day, and I'm hooked. Does anyone have any "realistic" superpowered character fiction they could recommend? Anthologies are fine.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
For the past year or so I've become very interested in the history and culture of the Western Balkans, i.e. the former Yugoslavia (with a particular focus on Serbia).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on Serbia and/or Bosnia-Hercegovina, especially on the lifes of ordinary people. Can be fiction or non-fiction, academic or popular. English, German and Italian are fine.

To give you an idea, here's what's on my shelf about this broad topic:

Andric, Ivo: The Bridge on the Drina
Barnett, Neil: Tito
Becker, Jens: Serbien nach den Kriegen
Cohen, Roger: Hearts Grown Brutal - Sagas of Sarajevo
Glenny, Misha: The Fall of Yugoslavia
Handke, Peter: Abschied - Reise - Nachtrag
Handke, Peter: Rund um das Große Tribunal
Judah, Tim: The Serbs - History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia
Kapor, Momo: The Magic of Belgrade
LeBor, Adam: Milosevic - A Biography
Markovic, Barbara: Ausgehen
Mazower, Mark: The Balkans
Norris, David: Belgrade - A Cultural and Literary History
Popov, Nebojsa: Srpska strana rata
Sundhaussen, Holm: Geschichte Serbiens - 19.-21. Jahrhundert
Thomas, Robert: Serbia Under Milosevic - Politics in the 1990s

Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

schoenfelder posted:

For the past year or so I've become very interested in the history and culture of the Western Balkans, i.e. the former Yugoslavia (with a particular focus on Serbia).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on Serbia and/or Bosnia-Hercegovina, especially on the lifes of ordinary people. Can be fiction or non-fiction, academic or popular. English, German and Italian are fine.

To give you an idea, here's what's on my shelf about this broad topic:

Andric, Ivo: The Bridge on the Drina
Barnett, Neil: Tito
Becker, Jens: Serbien nach den Kriegen
Cohen, Roger: Hearts Grown Brutal - Sagas of Sarajevo
Glenny, Misha: The Fall of Yugoslavia
Handke, Peter: Abschied - Reise - Nachtrag
Handke, Peter: Rund um das Große Tribunal
Judah, Tim: The Serbs - History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia
Kapor, Momo: The Magic of Belgrade
LeBor, Adam: Milosevic - A Biography
Markovic, Barbara: Ausgehen
Mazower, Mark: The Balkans
Norris, David: Belgrade - A Cultural and Literary History
Popov, Nebojsa: Srpska strana rata
Sundhaussen, Holm: Geschichte Serbiens - 19.-21. Jahrhundert
Thomas, Robert: Serbia Under Milosevic - Politics in the 1990s

Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot!
Maybe try My War Gone By, I Miss It So. It's an account of the Bosnian war, where the embedded journalist is really embedded right in the middle of the action. It's pretty good. It's just about the war, not the culture or the lives of ordinary people, but it's probably one of the best for that particular point in Bosnia's history.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Maybe try My War Gone By, I Miss It So. It's an account of the Bosnian war, where the embedded journalist is really embedded right in the middle of the action. It's pretty good. It's just about the war, not the culture or the lives of ordinary people, but it's probably one of the best for that particular point in Bosnia's history.
Thanks a lot, that sounds fantastic! I put it on my to-buy list!

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm going to Barnes and Noble tonight and wanted to pick up a work or two by Honoré de Balzac as I've never read him before. I'm sure their selection isn't huge, but it appears they have at least a few titles like Pere Goriot, Lost Illusions, Cousin Bette, and perhaps others. Any titles in particular that can be recommended for someone new to the author? Should I go with specific editons or would the B&N classic editions work just as well? Any translations that should be avoided?

EDIT: Also, how is 2666 by Roberto Bolano and Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace?

Jive One fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2011

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

DrGonzo90 posted:

It depends on what you're thinking of when you think of Chekhov. He had two or three different phases: in Russia I think he's more known for his short stories whereas Americans think of his plays. His early short stories were mostly very short indeed and tended to be funny, the best comparison I can think of is probably James Thurber. His later stories were longer and more serious, like "The Steppe" and "Ward Number Six," these stories aren't very similar to anything else I've read but John Cheever and Raymond Carver are at least somewhat similar.

As for the plays, Chekhov and Henrik Ibsen are often compared, though I'm not sure if that's because their plays are that similar or just because they were active around the same time. I understand that George Bernard Shaw was influenced by Chekhov as well, and he wrote a play called Heartbreak House as an homage to Chekhov.

I should have specified. I meant his later short stories, like "the house with the mezzanine." They are so good.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Doghouse posted:

I should have specified. I meant his later short stories, like "the house with the mezzanine." They are so good.

OK, then check out the short stories of John Cheever and Raymond Carver definitely. Also came upon the names Katherine Mansfield and Victor Sawdon Pritchett after doing some googling, but I am not familiar with either of them so take that for what it's worth. I actually haven't read "The House With the Mezzanine," but I found a copy online that I'm going to read so if I think of any other similar writers I'll edit and add them.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

ShutteredIn posted:

On another note, has anyone here read Ismail Kadare and could recommend where to start?
I've read The Three-Arched Bridge and The File on H and both were pretty underwhelming. The ideas behind them were a lot more appealing to look into than the books themselves. Quite why he's gained success in the English speaking world over other writers from the region is a bit of a mystery, though I haven't read The Successor which I seem to recall won fabulous prizes of some description or other.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

It sounds like you've got plenty of recommendations already, but I'd be remiss if I didn't try to push Alas, Babylon on you. It's different than a lot of post-apoc in the sense that it takes place right after a nuclear attack, as opposed to the years-later style of The Road, Fallout, etc, and deals with the immediate issues presented by such an attack. It's really good, it was my favorite book for a long time.

As for me, can anyone recommend me some good books about India/Indians/Indian-Americans/etc, etc? I don't even really give a poo poo what it's about, fiction, non-fiction, whatever as long as India's involved in some way. I'm not even above the chick-lit "Madhuri's in love with Raj but her parents want her to get an arranged marriage, whatever will she do??? :ohdear:" crap, as long as it offers some insight into the culture of India and/or the lives of its people. For reference, here's what I've got on the subject:
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/ZMBrown/india (I hope this works, I've never actually linked anything on LibraryThing before)

I just came into this thread to ask a similar question, but based on my recent reading of The Inheritance of Loss and Shantaram, neither of which you seem to have.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I just came into this thread to ask a similar question, but based on my recent reading of The Inheritance of Loss and Shantaram, neither of which you seem to have.
Thanks, man! Shantaram's been on my to-buy list for a while, but I've been hesitant because of its size. Nice to hear that it's good, though, I can deal with a long book as long as it's good. I'll check out Inheritance of Loss, too, I've never read anything by Kiran Desai.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Everyone I know who's read Shantaram has loved it. It seems you get a very good feel of the culture from it, because it's apparently a true story. It's one of those stories that made me very happy for humanity, and moved me in parts.

Inheritance of loss is...a hard read, but worth it, for me. It's not particularly happy though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Everyone I know who's read Shantaram has loved it. It seems you get a very good feel of the culture from it, because it's apparently a true story. It's one of those stories that made me very happy for humanity, and moved me in parts.

Inheritance of loss is...a hard read, but worth it, for me. It's not particularly happy though.
Well, that's good to hear. I was definitely intrigued when I read Roberts's biography--anyone who broke out of an Australian jail after a long crime spree in Germany and Australia and then fled to join the Bombay Mafia has to be able to write a hell of an interesting book!

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

'sup, My way Gone By, I miss it so-buddy

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I'm looking for a couple of things, and I guess they are fairly vague.

Books about native peoples. Guns germs and steel, collapse, etc, really got me interested in human history.

Books about cities. I'd like to read about how cities used to be compared to now, that sort of thing.

Lastly, maybe something about math, it was always my worst subject, and I'd love to read detailed explanations of incredibly basic math things.

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 12, 2011

FUCK TORNADO
Sep 10, 2008
I'm looking for a book that I saw a few weeks ago but have since forgotten about. It's a 1000+ page sci-fi book with a cloudy sky for it's cover. I've been searching Google and Amazon but no luck so far. The only thing I really remember is that the plot sounded fairly retarded, so I'm kind of morbidly curious about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gently caress TORNADO posted:

I'm looking for a book that I saw a few weeks ago but have since forgotten about. It's a 1000+ page sci-fi book with a cloudy sky for it's cover. I've been searching Google and Amazon but no luck so far. The only thing I really remember is that the plot sounded fairly retarded, so I'm kind of morbidly curious about it.

Maybe this? http://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-John-Scalzi/dp/0765309416 ?

FUCK TORNADO
Sep 10, 2008

No that's not it, the cover of the book I'm looking for just has a cloudy bright sky and the novel's title and author. There's no other details or drawings on it. Thanks for trying though!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Are you sure it was sci-fi? Because this is the first thing your description made me think of.

FUCK TORNADO
Sep 10, 2008
And I found it! Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Notable for having 100 pages of footnotes!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Prince Reggie K posted:

Lastly, maybe something about math, it was always my worst subject, and I'd love to read detailed explanations of incredibly basic math things.

I always suggest anything by Neil Stephenson; he loves to go into excrutiating detail on mathematical concepts and often uses real world examples to make them more understandable (I learned how ENIGMA worked thanks to his example of a broken bike chain!)

For the really math-heavy stuff I suggest Snow Crash and Anathem (the latter especially, Snow Crash focuses far more on Sumerian Mythology, although it does explore the concept of binary languages in a pretty in depth manner).

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I recently got a kindle (loving it by the way, I'd recommend them to anyone) but I don't really know what to read on it... Some of my favourite authors:

David Eddings
Tom Holt
Andy McNab
R. A. Salvatore
Robin Hobb
Jim Butcher
Christopher Paolini

I know, I'm a literary scrub :( In my defence, when I was young my dad had a bookshelf full of high fantasy and not much else, and I loved reading v:shobon:v Also I kinda like sci fi but I haven't read much of it because there is so much to choose from and I don't know where to start...

I am currently rereading the whole Forgotten Realms set of series (as a side note, is there a word for a group of series following the same story?) because I never got around to reading all of them in the right order. Once I am done with them I have heard great things about A Song of Ice and Fire, then hopefully the next Dresden Files will be out (oh god why did it end on a cliffhanger none of the others did and this is the only one I have had to wait for :cry:). After that, I'm kinda at a loss...

EDIT: Also, I read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings which was amazing, and if anyone knows of any similar books (preferably physics, but I guess other sciences too) I'd like to hear of them :)

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 13, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

gently caress TORNADO posted:

And I found it! Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Notable for having 100 pages of footnotes!

I'm not sure which is more amusing/horrifying, that you think Infinite Jest is scifi or that you think it "sounds retarded".

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm not sure which is more amusing/horrifying, that you think Infinite Jest is scifi or that you think it "sounds retarded".

It's a lovely, low-hanging fruit troll.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there a version of Don Quixote that is considered the best English translation? I've been wanting to read the book really badly ever since I saw Man of La Mancha, but googling brings up a bunch of different versions.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm looking for good books on the general history of the middle east. I've been recommended The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk. Is that a good place to start?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

teraflame posted:

I'm looking for good books on the general history of the middle east. I've been recommended The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk. Is that a good place to start?

Cleveland, Modern History of the Middle East is used for a lot of Intro to Middle Eastern History classes. It's a very good book, though I don't know what changed in the 2009 edition compared to 2004 now Cleveland can't update it himself anymore (he's dead).

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Lord Solitare posted:

Is there a version of Don Quixote that is considered the best English translation? I've been wanting to read the book really badly ever since I saw Man of La Mancha, but googling brings up a bunch of different versions.

Edith Grossman's version by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I'm looking for stories about obsessive love, preferrably set in the 19th or early 20th century. Something along the lines of The Forsyte Saga, but less boring.

Any genre is okay, but nothing too heavy. No torture or graphic rape scenes and Lolita is out.

I just want a dark love story where the guy is a little twisted, but not so much that he becomes a monster.