Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You've just made me remember the great episodes where they just went around showing the places they liked to buy their stuff from.

Episodes like 'Mythbusters Revealed', 'Shop Till You Drop' or the 'Outtakes' ones were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this a clip show?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Is this a clip show?

:wtc:

My faith in this show is rapidly dropping.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Was it a clip show? I'll just delete it off the DVR if it was.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

It was a two parter clip episode.. :psyduck:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cool, deleting it. Thanks man.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FogHelmut posted:

Is this a clip show?
It wasn't a clip show. It was a repeat.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 6, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^That's good news. I loving hate clip shows. They're like a deliberate slap to the face of the audience.

ANOTHER clip show already? :psyduck:

Mythbusters tally so far (from the wiki):

159 actual episodes.

Nine Buster's Cut rehash episodes.

Three "Best..." shows (glorified clip shows).

Fourteen Specials with varying amounts of new material.

And how many clip shows were there? There was the Top 25 Moments, the Car Conundrum one, in just this last season. And what else? I'm not counting the revisits and 'myth evolution' ones.

Not too bad a percentage of new material overall. But cold comfort in the face of the bland horror of the DUN DUN DUNNN clip show!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Gorilla Salad posted:

ANOTHER clip show already? :psyduck:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It was whole myths from different previous shows compiled into one episode.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Here I was certain that the season was effectively over two weeks ago, so I'm surprised they showed anything at all.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%282009_season%29#Episode_114_.E2.80.93_Demolition_Derby_Special

My DVR had the date flagged as 2011 for some reason.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%282009_season%29#Episode_114_.E2.80.93_Demolition_Derby_Special

My DVR had the date flagged as 2011 for some reason.

My guide said it was "new" also. I could have sworn these were all from various other episodes.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Dirty Jobs has been a series of clip shows too the last few weeks I've tuned past. I attribute it to holiday filler programming.

Speaking of fillers, has Brew Masters ever been re-run again? It's like after a brief run of new episodes dropped in last-minute random timeslots it disappeared completely. Was it that unpopular? I should surf the food channels to see if they have any beer shows.

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 6, 2011

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

quote:

My guide said it was "new" also. I could have sworn these were all from various other episodes.
My guide also said it was new too but it was the demolition derby show. Its weird because it said it was a two parter but it was the wrong two parter.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 6, 2011

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Radio Nowhere posted:

Speaking of fillers, has Brew Masters ever been re-run again? It's like after a brief run of new episodes dropped in last-minute random timeslots it disappeared completely. Was it that unpopular? I should surf the food channels to see if they have any beer shows.
This is why you and I would be bad cable network executives.

Popular Show? Play it once during prime time and then bury that thing so that it never sees the light of day again!

Unpopular Show? Let's show that thing ten million times over this next week! It's only unpopular because there haven't been enough chances to watch it!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Was it popular though? I never bothered watching it, so I can't speak for how good a show it might have been. Not too sure how you can have an entire series devoted to just beer though. I remember one of the food channels having a show about drinks in general, if I am not mistaken.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

ToastyPotato posted:

Was it popular though? I never bothered watching it, so I can't speak for how good a show it might have been. Not too sure how you can have an entire series devoted to just beer though. I remember one of the food channels having a show about drinks in general, if I am not mistaken.

I found it fascinating. It was a mix of him running one of the largest craft breweries in the US, and brewing things long forgotten and/or really unique.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Brew Masters was also nice in that it was one of the rare "job shadowing" shows where you actually learned something. Instead of relying on stupid personal drama dished out by a team of gently caress-ups, Brew Masters focused on professionals being competent at their job while teaching the audience about the history and methods of brewing.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I remember reading in this thread (or somewhere) that Brewmasters was really just a 4 episode one off type deal. I loved the show though. The thing I didn't really get is that they spend an hour talking about these awesome sounding beers and I go to the local specialty store and I don't see a single one. I know that they're all holiday beers, but drat I would have loved to tried that eygptian beer.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I remember reading in this thread (or somewhere) that Brewmasters was really just a 4 episode one off type deal. I loved the show though. The thing I didn't really get is that they spend an hour talking about these awesome sounding beers and I go to the local specialty store and I don't see a single one. I know that they're all holiday beers, but drat I would have loved to tried that eygptian beer.

A lot of the different varieties Dogfish brews are in such small batches that it's only available on tap at their brewpubs or the really small runs that are bottled for sale are available in nearly only the Delmarva region.

But seriously, if you're within daytrip driving distance, it's worth it to take the trip and tour the microbrewery they have at the brewpub and grab some food and some of their brewpub beers. They even have aged stuff you can get to go that you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I'm under no delusion that Brew Masters was going to be the next big thing, especially with only a 4 episode run. I just hoped my DVR would have caught all 4 episodes at some point in re-runs. Instead the DVR only ever caught 2 episodes, their last-minute time shifting put American Choppers where I had intended on recording Brew Masters. Such is life, I just had hoped like many channels they would have the random re-runs late nights or daytime. Instead it dropped off completely like it never existed.

Dogfish has some restaurants in the Washington DC area with near-full array of their brews on tap. I went to the one in Gaithersburg and fell in love with their Chicory Stout. Next time I head to the shore I want to check out their brewery.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

IRQ posted:

Tonight on Mythbusters, oh my god adrenaline exists! :rolleyes: :sigh:
Actually this isn't such a horrible myth though I do think they partially screwed it up. If you are in a scenario where you are disorientated and acting abnormally emotional then there is a good chance where slapping someone might not do the trick because they are in shock. Of course that wouldn't make good television because you have to be injured.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 7, 2011

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So Howe and Howe Tech is back, apparently, and it's basically just like last year. Who would give these guys business after seeing this show?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I never really got into it either.

I am looking forward to Flying Wild Alaska and more Gold Rush on Friday night. I like the old lady in the Wild Alaska promos that says "Ice road truckers are a bunch of pussies".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can't find the Science Channel thread, so this will do. Anyone see Cold Diggers? About drillers in northern Canada, basically the other end of the road you see in Ice Road Truckers. Very educational, surprisingly, and not too much drama.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

As long as we're talking science channel, I'm kind of surprised that they're airing an idiot abroad on science instead of discovery

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

change my name posted:

As long as we're talking science channel, I'm kind of surprised that they're airing an idiot abroad on science instead of discovery

It's a new show and isn't about Alaska, of COURSE it's banished to High Tier Package Limbo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It really should be on the travel channel. Of course I don't get that in HD on Comcast, so it works out for me.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

So am I gonna expect to see another slap-in-the-face Mythbusters clip show tonight?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
0.2% NEW FOOTAGE!

Tonight is a repeat of the Supersize special.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 20, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm wondering what the fallout was from the exploding rocket car. Adam talks about wanting his money back and that seems like a reasonable request considering the rocket company screwed up the entire (expensive) segment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I had always assumed it failed simply because they put a rocket with a gadzillion pounds of thrust into a tube sealed with a small plate that was simply welded into place.

So, when the rocket fired, the force of the rocket motor was focused entirely on the small plate, causing it to pop out and the motor to move forward into the vehicle and smash itself to pieces in a millisecond.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

lordblytzkrieg posted:

So am I gonna expect to see another slap-in-the-face Mythbusters clip show tonight?
I thought we all ready established that the clip shows that most of you guys were whinning about were repeats.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I had always assumed it failed simply because they put a rocket with a gadzillion pounds of thrust into a tube sealed with a small plate that was simply welded into place.

So, when the rocket fired, the force of the rocket motor was focused entirely on the small plate, causing it to pop out and the motor to move forward into the vehicle and smash itself to pieces in a millisecond.
Yeah the fallout was interesting to say the least but it got played out on the forums. The rocket motor owners were just as pissed off at Adam and Jamie for screwing that up.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 20, 2011

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

These gold miner people have got to be the most retarded people I have seen on television. I'm pretty positive that the real housewives could figure this poo poo out before them. Holy gently caress, they only need a shotglass full of gold to keep them running for another week, and it's obviously there in the sand, but they're going to let the whole thing fail because some retard can't figure out the angle to set the wave table. Just pick the gold out with your hands, you'll get enough within an hour, and you'll have a whole additional week to get your dumb rear end together.

What is this new Sons of Guns show about?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I've only seen the first two episodes of this Gold Rush show and whatever episode is airing now, but am I supposed to be rooting for them to all fail miserably? Some of them seem like they might be okay people, but that old guy is a loving retard and and I kind of want to see their dreams shattered on TV.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I watched the episode of "Gold Rush"where one of the children was rushed to the hospital. The miners were trying to find possible sources of contamination and it's revealed they neither filtered nor boiled their water from a nearby stream! As someone who camps about once a year I KNOW never to drink straight from a stream. Unless the situation is like "Man vs Wild" where dehydration will kill you there is no reason to dive into a stream without filtering. I think they followed their stream and found some mold or something. I assume they later did something but holy crap what a glaring thing to not do!

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Gold Rush is just a horrible show about assholes who do everything incorrectly. If you're actually interested in the gold/prospecting side of things, I'd suggest watching Gold Fever and Alaskan on the outdoor channel. Gold Fever is really informative and the host is really into it. Alaskan is Gold Rush without all the stupid drama because they do everything right.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

MadScientistWorking posted:

I thought we all ready established that the clip shows that most of you guys were whinning about were repeats.

Yeah the fallout was interesting to say the least but it got played out on the forums. The rocket motor owners were just as pissed off at Adam and Jamie for screwing that up.

I'm not sure what 'myth' this is referring to (the one on the destruction derby shows?), but does any of this stuff still exist? It sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sankis posted:

I'm not sure what 'myth' this is referring to (the one on the destruction derby shows?), but does any of this stuff still exist? It sounds interesting.

Supersized Rocket Car, the one where they're redoing the rocket car from the pilot episode. Unfortunately when they were doing the actual run where they were launching the car the rockets exploded.

• Locked thread