Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Oh hey, suddenly Coyote is not so whimsical.
I guess maybe it shows favoritism towards her that he doesn't want others knowing about? But jesus christ man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
He gave a weapon with the power of a god to someone on the other side of an age-old conflict. Even with Annie being groomed to be a mediator, that might not go over well with the other denizens of the forest. And of course, we don't know what other sneaky motives Coyote might have.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Still, he probably could have just asked nicely.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
He's just testing her.

That said, I have no doubt it really will give her the nickname of Lefty for the rest of her life if she talks.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Madrox posted:

And of course, we don't know what other sneaky motives Coyote might have.

Or fears, given the Wandering Eye's sudden appearence.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
If the tooth can cut anything then presumably it can kill Coyote. I base this theory entirely on the end of The Incredibles.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Maybe the trick is that no harm will come to her in the forest while she's visiting Coyote...

vvv i mean she's no longer visiting, she's staying in the forest.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 14, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fecha posted:

Maybe the trick is that no harm will come to her in the forest while she's visiting Coyote...
No harm will come to her, but what if she comes to harm? Semantics, but that's something Coyote thrives on. The hand-removing bracelet, for instance, will only cause harm if she activates it.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Soylentbits posted:

If the tooth can cut anything then presumably it can kill Coyote. I base this theory entirely on the end of The Incredibles.

Hopefully it can cut through that bind too.

Les Peche
Jan 29, 2008

Juicy
As Tom just said on twitter 'Reminder coyote ain't your bro', just because coyote is funny doesn't mean he's nice.

I really like the characterisation in this comic, telling you just enough about a character to allow you to form an opinion on them but not making it so rigid that plot points cause actions that seem out of character.

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010
At this point I would think rather hard on canceling my forest vacation. While I'm sure the court has done a lot of bad things in its years I would venture to guess that they are opposed to child dismemberment.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

For some reason I don't think Coyotemagic hand-removal would be painful.

Just... poof! No hand, haha! I am so smart!

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
Coyote has always been a dick though. He's nice to Annie, sure, but in general, he's pretty much the biggest dick in the universe. He stole the moon just to make fun of the forest people.

He seems very serious about keeping it a secret though. As far as I know, this is the first time Coyote used a straight-up threat.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The story covers Antimony's time at school, of which she is finishing her second year. The kids, they grow up so fast! v:unsmith:v

Wikipedia says that puts her around 12 or 13.

The way years work in England is that everyone is at the same age at the start of the school year. At the start of the next school year, Annie will be 13.
That means she's probably 13 now, unless she's having her birthday in the next month or so. (Equally it could mean she's very close to 14, if her birthday is near the start of the school year)

Also, am I the only one who read that it's the band that will snap off, not her hand? I thought it was to be an indicator that she'd gabbed, rather than a punishment.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Elftor posted:

Still, he probably could have just asked nicely.

"Hey, Annie, can you please not tell Reynard about the whole 'your mom tricked him' thing? We'd really appreciate it."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Noonsaliwah posted:

Also, am I the only one who read that it's the band that will snap off, not her hand? I thought it was to be an indicator that she'd gabbed, rather than a punishment.

"This bind will snip off your hand" is fairly unambiguous in terms of explaining body parts will be severed, without even getting into the capricious nature of trickster gods or the visual signifier of the design of it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Madrox posted:

He gave a weapon with the power of a god to someone on the other side of an age-old conflict. Even with Annie being groomed to be a mediator, that might not go over well with the other denizens of the forest. And of course, we don't know what other sneaky motives Coyote might have.
I don't think we should be as concerned about a weapon, mighty as it may be (a shovel can also cut the earth) so much as a part of Coyote is now in Annie's room, unchecked, where Reynardine is held.

Odds are, Annie hasn't told him where his real body is.

Odds are, Coyote will let Reynard know through the tooth where Annie is.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I wonder how they will explain the band. Maybe a mark that shows she is allowed into the forest or maybe it will not be visible at all.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
It might end up being like the cut Jeanne gave her and it's only visible on Annie's spirit/blinker self.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I wonder if she can give that gift back.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I doubt Coyote would appreciate that.

Where would the fun in that be, anyway?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Coyote seemed really pleased that Annie left his tooth back at the Court. I wonder what plans he has for it?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The tooth is probably a spying tool. Too bad Annie, never trust anyone who smiles all the time.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
I don't think Coyote so much wants the tooth in the court as he wants it out of the forest. After all, if his objective was to keep it in the court, there would have been absolutely no need to threaten Annie.

Mickey Eye posted:

I wonder how they will explain the band. Maybe a mark that shows she is allowed into the forest or maybe it will not be visible at all.

Maybe Coyote will wear a matching one and claim they are ~friendship bracelets~.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I definitely think the tooth is going to be doing something in the Court. Something pretty obvious, which is why Coyote doesn't want Annie to tell anyone.
Though why Coyote wasn't gambling she had already told someone is anyone's guess.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably simpler than that. Remember that Coyote gives up the power he gives away. Depending on just what was given with the tooth (power to cut the earth is a little generic), he may now be quite a bit weaker in certain ways. While it probably won't matter to him, being seen as 'less' by members of the forest may create problems for him, particularly if the court is perceived to now hold that power. this also means that coyote can't do much with the tooth. As Reynard is now stuck to Annie because of her clear 'ownership' of his body, the tooth now belongs to her as well, with likely similar conditions being in force.

If Annie had the tooth in her possession in the forest, it would almost certainly have been discovered, and she is known to be associated with the court.

Coyote is being a dick with the way he's making her keep silent. He probably could have just asked.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure he didn't lose any power when he gave her a tooth, he just lost a tooth.

And his teeth are really sharp, that's all.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

EoRaptor posted:

Coyote is being a dick with the way he's making her keep silent. He probably could have just asked.

Yeah, that worked real well when Anja asked her not to tell Reynard how he was tricked. :v:

I don't know, maybe Coyote's trying to cover his bases? The tooth's obviously important in some way, so if he just tells Annie not to tell anyone, and she ends up getting mad at him somehow like she did with Renard and tells somebody to get back at him, then the secret is ruined. This time Annie's hand is on the line for blabbing a secret, whereas before there were no real consequences for telling the Court's secret to Renard.

Or Coyote's just being a dick. We'll have to wait and see.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
A hair-brained theory on the tooth:

Perhaps the bridge is more than just a metaphorical barrier between the wood and the court. Maybe it's some kind of magical barrier that Coyote can't cross to enter the court without being invited with a blinker-stone signal. But maybe because a part of him is already on the other side of the barrier, the rest of him can come and go as he pleases.

That's probably not what's going on, but it's a thought I had.

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
But why would he care about Ysengrin finding out about the tooth? Coyote only warned her about telling people in the forest.

I like how Coyote's grin changed in the last panel. Is this the first time we've seen Coyote do something particularly malevolent? He's certainly done things that weren't nice, but nothing like "Tell anyone about this and I'll cut your hand off."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What's the line on Coyote ending up as the main "villain" of the story? It's got to be either him or the Court higher-ups, or both.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Brannock posted:

What's the line on Coyote ending up as the main "villain" of the story? It's got to be either him or the Court higher-ups, or both.
I'm not sure if the story necessarily needs a villain. Nice av though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fecha posted:

I'm not sure if the story necessarily needs a villain.

Thus the quotes, I suppose. He does look rather menacing in today's strip. I liked the touch that his lower jawline disappears in panel 6.

I imagine Coyote is attempting to hedge his bets here - why else wouldn't he want Ysengrin and the foresters to know about the tooth?

Fecha posted:

Nice av though.

Thanks. I've already gotten a few PMs regarding it. Same story with my last Coyote avatar, everyone seems to want to know who's doing awesome riffs on Native American art.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Well, maybe "villain" is a strong word, but every story needs antagonists, and I'd say Coyote is acting like one of them right now!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, maybe "villain" is a strong word, but every story needs antagonists, and I'd say Coyote is acting like one of them right now!
Oh, I'd say "if you tell them about the tooth, I will cut off your hand" puts him pretty firmly in "villain" territory.

illie
Jan 13, 2011

It's hard for me to see him as a villain, even though he can obviously be very sinister. Coyote is a Coyote. vOv

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
He'd be a villain if he didn't tell her about the band.

Also, it seems to me like it would be no big deal to re-attach it. Additionally, think of the robot hand Kat could craft for her!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Wow, how far are we going to push this Star Wars connection?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Fecha posted:

Wow, how far are we going to push this Star Wars connection?

I was shooting more towards...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

He'd be a villain if he didn't tell her about the band.
No, that would make him an idiot. If he doesn't tell her about the band, then how would she know not to tell anybody about the tooth?