Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

tau posted:

Why? I don't understand you, Petey.

Posner Posner Posner Posner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Ersatz posted:

Posner Posner Posner Posner

I think you mean (Posner).

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

tau posted:

I think you mean (Posner).

I did (thank you).

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Petey posted:

I want to cherish this paragraph forever and frame it like some people frame a prayer or the constitution
Hell yea bro

Lawthread... lawthread. How is life in the glorious world I left behind?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hell yea bro

thought about you the other day. How is YOUR life?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hell yea bro

It is awesome. We have hookers, blow, Ferraris, and 6-7 figure bonuses again!
The unemployment rate is 1%, even T4s can get a big law spot. It is loving awesome out here.
There's so much work we have negotiated a mandatory 40hr workweek and 6 weeks vacation.

No one tell him the truth, we must keep a stiff upper lip

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

I read this article during lunch at work. My secretary wondered what the gently caress I was doing as I was laughing and simultaneously trying not to weep. Holy loving poo poo.

He's got a totally normal amount of debt. I mean, a non-insignificant number of people graduate with $170k in debt, and a non-insignificant number of those don't have jobs when they graduate. And the loving Ohio Bar decides to punish those who have made it through law school rather than stopping 6000 excess lawyers from graduating in Ohio every goddamn year. Jesus gently caress, that's so ultimately, inhumanely, irrationally, and sadistically soul crushing.

They're punishing him because his job isn't good enough even though 85% of his classmates graduate without jobs. That's so mind blowing.

I have been in the process of typing this post for several dozens of minutes, and I cannot think of a worse thing one can do to cement the idea of the law school scam (not that we needed more cementing). It takes unfathomable amounts of cajones to take $150k from some kid then literally instantly turn around and tell him that since you asked for his $150k, his 3 year degree is literally toilet paper.

They demanded his $150k with promises of grandeur and instantly revoked (well, effectively revoked) his 3 year degree because they obtained that $150k and he missed a credit card payment. Holy loving poo poo.

Goddamn how does this not confuse and infuriate all of you?

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 14, 2011

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hell yea bro

I'm actively doing everything I can to find a job so I can leave this wretched place, take a couple night courses for refreshers, and apply to some less retarded program.

gently caress this jazz.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
i hate how worthless law school makes me feel. i've been not v good at a bunch of stuff before but for some reason there's something about seeing an entire semester of work condensed down to one letter that is not very close to the beginning of the alphabet just really makes me wanna say gently caress it and go home

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

thought about you the other day. How is YOUR life?
I'm doing some meager part-time stuff for the office I worked for in summer, and still trying to find and Actual Job. So my life SOUNDS pretty weak. But it FEELS pretty good. At least I'm making SOME amount of money instead of totally hemorrhaging it, and I'm Regularly Exercising and working on my own Creative Writings again, which are two things that stopped cold when I started school...

I'm probably gonna apply to grad school in fall but in the meantime, I fart on myself and do what I want :cool:

Daico posted:

I'm actively doing everything I can to find a job so I can leave this wretched place, take a couple night courses for refreshers, and apply to some less retarded program.

gently caress this jazz.
yeah! yeah!!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That Ohio decision seems unfair, and maybe it is. I didn't read the whole article or decision.

But I like the precedent of telling people they won't be allowed to join the bar if they have excessive debt. Might make a few people think twice about going to crappy law schools.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That Ohio decision seems unfair, and maybe it is. I didn't read the whole article or decision.

But I like the precedent of telling people they won't be allowed to join the bar if they have excessive debt. Might make a few people think twice about going to crappy law schools.

That would imply that prospective law students think very hard at all about the debt they'll incur when they apply.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I know we like to be glib about this, but that law school article has been on the top of the NY Times most emailed list for a week. I think the message has been getting through.

Of course, enrollment is still up. But a few years of thousands of graduates being denied bar admission due to debt, along with other changes enforced by each state's judiciary, like requiring schools to print in their promotional materials that high debt and no job will result in denial of bar admission, and we'll have some progress

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

tau posted:

Kahan argues that deterrence theory is incoherent outside of an external, expressive value system, and then uses four examples of Posner arguing against Posner to demonstrate the ultimately speculative nature of allegedly empirical, value-neutral jurisprudence to show that one can (as Posner does) make equally plausible results-oriented arguments depending on which result one wishes to achieve.

Petey fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 14, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Direwolf posted:

Sooo I got middle to below average grades this semester, I should drop out of my t14 and work at Starbucks, correct?

What T-14, out of curiosity? Are you that UVA guy that was asking about housing six months ago?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

tau posted:

Yeah I mean, it's funny I guess because heh, Posner takes lots of different stances on stuff.

But I mean it's not a fart/dick joke

BigHead posted:

Goddamn how does this not confuse and infuriate all of you?

It does but man I only have so much anger and I got poo poo I have to get done today. This is yet another case where there's plenty of people more sympathetic than this guy I mean can't he pass the freakin' Ohio bar after 3 tries?

I honestly think we can be as mad as we want but the general public probably has a pretty low bar on their care level for this sort of thing. Because "heh, lawyers gently caress em" :smug: so basically it is up to all of us to do something but as we collectively finally squeeze out the other end of the law school digestive tract we feel less and less concerned with the plight of the law student generally and more with our own SPECIFIC plight.

By the way who was the dude who applied to Active Duty on the November Army JAG Board? Did you get in?

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 14, 2011

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
This thread needs more international law pandas!

While trying to talk a friend's brother out of going to McGeorge for "International Human Rights Law" (I know, he would NOT listen, and he's 30 so should know better), I came across the recruiting office's profile of one of their outgoing 3Ls.

Shameless TTT Admissions Marketing Hack posted:

Hometown: Los Angeles, California
Undergraduate: University of Southern California
Major: Philosophy
After a brief career in hedge funds, a casual drink with a former law colleague led Joanna Armstrong to quench her latent thirst for law.

Armstrong recalls a very quiet early life. Initially from Corvallis, Oregon, the family moved to the rural town of Battle Ground, Washington, before high school. If horticulture, agriculture and auto shop were her interests, Joanna would have been well-positioned. In that environment, she hadn’t even heard of AP classes. “We weren’t expected to read, think critically or write papers in high school,” she says. “I had to learn all that my first year at USC and catch up to everyone else.”

Since struggling to find a balance between her big dreams and small beginnings, she is mapping a path to holistic success. At USC, she formed her own official campus group dedicated to upholding Buddhist values. A vegetarian since she was three, Joanna is also committed to lifelong health, nutrition and exercise, and even took up running – “one exercise I swore I’d never do!” For her first half marathon, she “was somehow able to go from a total anti-runner to a half marathon finisher in five weeks. That was pretty cool!” She ran six more that first year, including a 10k mud run at the Camp Pendleton military training base. Joanna has also picked up snowboarding, surfing, rappelling, kayaking and white-water rafting, and is constantly searching for new experiences.

Her path to law school began at a law firm where she worked for three years, followed by a stint with a hedge fund, trading in the markets. After a few years, her true passion for law was reignited over a cocktail with a partner from her previous job. “He saw how miserable I was. He asked why in the world I wasn’t applying to law school. It slapped me out of my daze, and the next week I started looking into law schools,” she says.

Joanna didn’t seriously consider Pacific McGeorge until Legal Scholars Day where the presentations, facilities, administrators and professors impressed her. What really grabbed her attention was “the sense of flexibility and openness to new ideas and different career paths.” The visit left her impressed that Pacific McGeorge was “less like a cookie cutter factory and willing to help students craft their education and career to their needs.” This becomes an important consideration as she concurrently pursues a Masters in dispute resolution from Pepperdine during summer breaks, a program she hopes to have approved as a joint degree. Regarding future law careers, Joanna is keeping her options open – but so long as those options lead in the direction of defending human rights and civil liberties here and abroad, everything will be zen.

It's like every panda cliche in the book, all at once.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I got an interview with the Manhattan DA's Office! Is there a good reason why I shouldn't promise the interviewer that if they offered me a job, I'd accept it?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Holland Oats posted:

I got an interview with the Manhattan DA's Office! Is there a good reason why I shouldn't promise the interviewer that if they offered me a job, I'd accept it?
If they ask, sure, but I don't think that is something I would offer. It just makes you sound desperate. Just appear interested and excited about the job.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Petey posted:

I was reading The Secret Ambition of Deterrence by Kahan today (113 Harv L Rev 413) on the bus ride home today and this paragraph made me laugh for like a minute:

I want to cherish this paragraph forever and frame it like some people frame a prayer or the constitution

Sick burn on Posner bro.

lol here's Cory Doctorow's e-mail signature:

quote:

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

I bet some copyright lawyer read that and poo poo himself!!

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

That NYT article is a godsend, it actually convinced my friend who was hellbent on prosecuting mass murderers at the ICC that it isn't a realistic option. Unfortunately, he now has no life plan anymore and is sort of aimless and depressed, but that's an improvement over law school.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

_areaman posted:

That NYT article is a godsend, it actually convinced my friend who was hellbent on prosecuting mass murderers at the ICC that it isn't a realistic option. Unfortunately, he now has no life plan anymore and is sort of aimless and depressed, but that's an improvement over law school.

Tell him to join the Peace Corps. Then he gets a two-year deferral of the real world and he can scratch that panda itch.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

Tell him to join the Peace Corps. Then he gets a two-year deferral of the real world and he can scratch that panda itch.

And they pay him instead of the other way around

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Sulecrist posted:

What T-14, out of curiosity? Are you that UVA guy that was asking about housing six months ago?

Northwestern - you're coming here, right? Or might be? Or was that someone else.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petey posted:

Kahan argues that deterrence theory is incoherent outside of an external, expressive value system, and then uses four examples of Posner arguing against Posner to demonstrate the ultimately speculative nature of allegedly empirical, value-neutral jurisprudence to show that one can (as Posner does) make equally plausible results-oriented arguments depending on which result one wishes to achieve.

goin' in our paper

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
aimless and depressed = law school

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

billion dollar bitch posted:

aimless and depressed = law school

aimless and depressed > law school

edit: you can be aimless and depressed without going $100k+ in debt.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

goin' in our paper

Yeah, I tried to read all the stuff we'd collected over break but got mega sick; I'll try to get some done soon.

But that graf definitely deserves a footnote at least.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Lawgoons, should I take criminal procedure or business organization/corporations next semester? Crim pro is being offered as a one semester intense class instead of the usual two-semester bail to jail/cops and robbers sequence. I'm going to end up taking both eventually, for various reasons. I haven't taken straight crim yet, though.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

goin' in our paper

Petey posted:

Yeah, I tried to read all the stuff we'd collected over break but got mega sick; I'll try to get some done soon.

But that graf definitely deserves a footnote at least.

what are you fellows writing?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Warszawa posted:

Lawgoons, should I take criminal procedure or business organization/corporations next semester? Crim pro is being offered as a one semester intense class instead of the usual two-semester bail to jail/cops and robbers sequence. I'm going to end up taking both eventually, for various reasons. I haven't taken straight crim yet, though.

Corps, probably, because it's more likely to be a pre-req for other courses, whereas Crim Pro is (I think) generally just a pre-req for Adv. Crim Pro - although your experience might be different because I have no idea how Harvard does its thing.

I tend to ignore your opinion on interviewing and job applications, simply because you go to Harvard Law so I assume that you could basically get away with anything and still have a job. Is that bad/inaccurate? I don't mean to be a jerk!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Warszawa posted:

Corps, get it out of the way now.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

The Warszawa posted:

Corps corps a million times corps

Quick question, if a state SC justice's office calls and asks if you are still interested in a clerkship, and then they ask you to resend stuff you already sent them months ago...they're not gonna turn around and NOT give you the chance to interview are they?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Direwolf posted:

Northwestern - you're coming here, right? Or might be? Or was that someone else.

That's MoFauxHawk. I'm at Duke.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mookie posted:

This thread needs more international law pandas!

While trying to talk a friend's brother out of going to McGeorge for "International Human Rights Law" (I know, he would NOT listen, and he's 30 so should know better), I came across the recruiting office's profile of one of their outgoing 3Ls.

It's like every panda cliche in the book, all at once.
I like how they don't mention where she is (un)employed.
However:
McGeorge is now a T2, not a TTT.
It is still a bad idea, but McGeorge is a bit stronger than a TTT. Top 10% of days and 25% of nights can get decent jobs. McGeorge is also the feeder school to Northern Nevada. The UoP alumni network is strong. It is worth noting that most older McGeorge Alums hate the school, but they are sympathetic to the grads.
So if he doesn't mind practicing in Elko (not sure they have much need for international law) he might be OK. Maybe.

The above should not be seen as an endorsement of McGeorge. Don't go to a T2. If you don't end up in the top quartile (nights can do a bit better), you'll be doing shitlaw in Wendover. . . if you're lucky.
If he winds up below the top 25% he should forget everything and if he doesn't drop out, focus on criminal prosecution and work at a local DA's office. DA's offices outside of the bay in NorCal don't "get" law school rankings and don't care about grades. The heads of many of the DA's offices here went to Lincoln Law School or whatever that school in Fresno is, non-ABA schools.
Tell him to get his networking in. Of course, I know pretty much every lawyer worth knowing in Sacramento, went to a good law school, and am still unemployed. He should remember that a McGeorge degree is useless south of Bakersfield, north of Redding and East of Wendover, and is competing against Boalt, Stanford, Hastings, UCDavis, as well as the SoCal schools. Oh and the legal market in this region sucks balls.
Is he at least getting a lot of money? McGeorge is loose with the cash, he should at least ask. You may not be able to stop him from going, but you can help him reduce crippling debt.
And slap him for all of us. He sounds dumb.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

I tend to ignore your opinion on interviewing and job applications, simply because you go to Harvard Law so I assume that you could basically get away with anything and still have a job. Is that bad/inaccurate? I don't mean to be a jerk!

The law review kids are still doing fine for themselves, but the rest of us have definitely been feeling it (but then it may just be me because every day I wonder a little more how I ever got in in the first place)

Oh, and take Corps, with Subramanian if you can get in.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

entris posted:

Red Bean Juice posted:

The law review kids are still doing fine for themselves, but the rest of us have definitely been feeling it (but then it may just be me because every day I wonder a little more how I ever got in in the first place)

Oh, and take Corps, with Subramanian if you can get in.

I don't go to Harvard, actually, but I'll pass that recommendation to some of my friends there.

Entris, I don't know how it it is at Harvard but here there isn't much in the way of fear, but there's also a huge culture of not talking about job stuff, etc., so far. I'm just a 1L so they basically tell us to shut up and not worry.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Warszawa posted:

I don't go to Harvard, actually, but I'll pass that recommendation to some of my friends there.

Entris, I don't know how it it is at Harvard but here there isn't much in the way of fear, but there's also a huge culture of not talking about job stuff, etc., so far. I'm just a 1L so they basically tell us to shut up and not worry.

Oh I forgot, you're at Yale, right? It was one of the top 3, I thought.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

entris posted:

Oh I forgot, you're at Yale, right? It was one of the top 3, I thought.

Harvard is the blood throne. Yale is the skull throne where the blood comes from.

Stanford is the reclusive cousin no one talks about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Direwolf posted:

Sooo I got middle to below average grades this semester, I should drop out of my t14 and work at Starbucks, correct?

The only thing smarter than dropping out is not to go at all.

So yeah drop out and save the headache.

E: haha check this poo poo out
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lsat_would_be_optional_under_possible_aba_accreditation_change

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 15, 2011