Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Is there a consensus on the best cad application? I was dicking around in Leocad, but I noticed that it's kind of inflexible when it comes to SNOT, specifically when you try to put stuff down on a 45 degree angle. This, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I went to Target and checked out the Valentine's Day section and saw what I hate to see. A spot on a shelf with a pricetag for minifigs and no minifigs there.
I did finally snag that police minifig set with the crowbar, though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

During the intense boredom of sitting around with nowhere to go and no power, I decided to make a laptop stand (screw paying $130 for a few bits of aluminum)

Complete with interior and hidden diorama on the back.

I really need to clean some of those white bricks though. They are filthy. :(

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Despite the table breakage and dirty bricks, that's still a pretty clever execution. When I was younger, my mom got me some construx as a sort of "You can build stuff with this too" suggestion. I got quite a few and played with them a lot for a month or two.

Then I dropped them :reject: They have since found new life as a laptop stand, monitor risers... pretty much anything I wouldn't wanna use Lego for.

In other news, my two Midi-Scale Star Destroyers arrived from Lego. I haven't had any luck with clearance stuff at walmart, so I had to pay a little more, but it was worth it since they're full of parts I wanted/needed. I also got lucky and scored this Anikin's Y-Wing and Hyena Bomber for ~$31. Pretty good for $80 worth of sets :D

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Whereabouts is this valentine's section? The seasonal corner at all the Targets by me is currently a Sams Club-bulk quantities event.

It seems like it depends on the Target - one near me has two aisles near that corner you're talking about - the other has two aisles up near the front of their food section.

Also, check your Wal-Mart again! Near their outdoor / garden section, they have a few clearance aisles. Found some great deals there again - including the big $100 Portal of Atlantis set for $50.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

During the intense boredom of sitting around with nowhere to go and no power, I decided to make a laptop stand (screw paying $130 for a few bits of aluminum)

Complete with interior and hidden diorama on the back.

I really need to clean some of those white bricks though. They are filthy. :(

Oh poo poo, why haven't I ever thought of doing that?!
Next project, defintely.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:
It's been so long since I've had access to any of my old bricks; now, I've bequeathed them to my son (sorta). I still have to try to clean the old musty smell off of them -- and so many are discolored! Ack! -- but we attempted a few, and the other night I built this out of a very limited selection of parts:

Sure, it doesn't hold a candle to most of the stuff posted here, but...but... :butt:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
^^^There's nothing wrong with that, it looks like a classic space set that could have been on shelves back in the day.

downfall posted:

Also, check your Wal-Mart again! Near their outdoor / garden section, they have a few clearance aisles. Found some great deals there again - including the big $100 Portal of Atlantis set for $50.

You guys just have more luck than me, I checked again in the clearance section and there was nothing. In fact, they've cleaned out all of the out-of-season Lego stuff already... so either I was too slow, or not lucky enough to catch anything on clearance.

Oh well, I need to focus more on sorting anyway.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 15, 2011

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

For any of you Los Angeles goons, I just got back from the Target in West Hollywood, where they had the Troll Fortress for $50.48 and, even more amazing, the Space Police Galactic Enforcer marked down from $100 to $25.24! I grabbed three for me and my friends, but there were still plenty left of both LEGO sets.

Also all Targets around here seem to be carrying the Troll Fortress for $50.48. The Galactic Enforcer is much more YMMV.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

75% off?! I'm so happy that Target has decided to move up to Canada.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Mooktastical posted:

Is there a consensus on the best cad application? I was dicking around in Leocad, but I noticed that it's kind of inflexible when it comes to SNOT, specifically when you try to put stuff down on a 45 degree angle. This, for example.

There's some differing opinions around here, but the three big ones for me are:

MLCAD: I have always felt that MLCAD is absolutely the most powerful for outright modeling. It doesn't have "connections" like other Lego CAD programs, but all the utilities together make it pretty ridiculously capable (I particularly like the flexible hose generator). Unfortunately you have to do the math yourself (or just pull some clever tricks) for any weird connections.

SR3D: It DOES have physical connections between parts, although some of the more complex hinges are hit-and-miss about whether or not they've been programmed (You can set connections yourself for any non-programmed parts in the dev kit version, though.). Because of the physical connections you don't need to worry about sub-models or grouping when there's a bunch of parts connected to a single hinge that you want to move. This one is definitely the best for any models that will have moveable parts or complex connections

Lego Digital Designer: Lots of people here use it because it's the official Lego program, but I personally hate it. The parts selection is limited to what's currently being produced, and I personally feel the interface is a lot clunkier than the other two.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Echoing what ApathyGifted said, except

ApathyGifted posted:

Lego Digital Designer: ...The parts selection is limited to what's currently being produced...

This is completely untrue. Enable universe mode and a lot more parts become available to you, including a lot of discontinued parts. Still not as big as the LDRAW library, but it's less of an issue. I disagree about the interface in LDD being clunky, it's just highly simplified to be accessible to younger users. LDD is a triumph of usability, you can pick it up and learn all it's functions in about half an hour.

MLCAD is much more robust, but the interface is dated, and it's much more difficult to learn.

SR3D is a nice middle ground between them, but it still has a long way to go - the interface is pretty buggy, and the camera gives me motion sickness for some reason.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

A Child's Letter posted:

It's been so long since I've had access to any of my old bricks; now, I've bequeathed them to my son (sorta). I still have to try to clean the old musty smell off of them -- and so many are discolored! Ack! -- but we attempted a few, and the other night I built this out of a very limited selection of parts:

Sure, it doesn't hold a candle to most of the stuff posted here, but...but... :butt:

Sweet ride.

Also, with regard to dirty bricks is there any proscribed methods to clean them?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sweet ride.

Also, with regard to dirty bricks is there any proscribed methods to clean them?

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't easily look it up, but, search for retr0bright for de-yellowing old bricks. For simple cleaning, a tub of warm water and some mild detergent.

Also, if anyone's been putting off the Slave 1 because of the price, TRU has it for 30% off--$63. Same with the AT-AT and the smaller PoP sets. All other SW lego is 10% off. Through monday only!

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I have no need for the Slave I but I might pick up the Bounty Hunter ship as its already at reasonable price for SW Lego.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I picked up Ice Dragon Attack today, and in case anyone was on the fence about buying it (like I was), I would definitely have to say skip it.
It's probably the biggest letdown set I have ever gotten, even going back to childhood. It's got a few useful pieces like bionicle arms and trans-clear-blue cheese wedges but it's a $15 set priced at 20. Also the head is made of an unpleasant-smelling rubber.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That head is enormous and a big let down. At least the bionicle masks were abstract enough that you could turn use them as texture or detail pieces. None of the Atlantis monster use molded head pieces, and they look great.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

I picked up Ice Dragon Attack today, and in case anyone was on the fence about buying it (like I was), I would definitely have to say skip it.
It's probably the biggest letdown set I have ever gotten, even going back to childhood. It's got a few useful pieces like bionicle arms and trans-clear-blue cheese wedges but it's a $15 set priced at 20. Also the head is made of an unpleasant-smelling rubber.

The whole Ninjago line seems overpriced, though I picked up the training and ambush sets for almost a fair price yesterday.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Few things been happening here, I won a 2nd 4559 train off ebay. I now have a nice long train, it looks great with the sloped end. I also ran across a conversion on flickr for using the PowerFunction IR remote to control 9v trains using the old train controller as power source. Quick trip to the lego website and Parts were on the way. I also have a line on a 6399 Monorail set.

I am planning a bigger layout soon, also need to pickup some track cleaner from the hobby store.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 16, 2011

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

Few things been happening here, I won a 2nd 4559 train off ebay. I now have a nice long train, it looks great with the sloped end. I also ran across a conversion on flickr for using the PowerFunction IR remote to control 9v trains using the old train controller as power source. Quick trip to the lego website and Parts were on the way. I also have a line on a 6399 Monorail set.

I am planning a bigger layout soon, also need to pickup some track cleaner from the hobby store.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I am such a sucker for the lego trains. When I was young my best mate had a massive 12v layout. Easily 8x10 ft. Had the big station, a few switches, heaps and heaps of lights and signals. All those accessories and stuff you could get for the 12v trains were awesome.

We used to flog the poo poo out of the big 12v train motors; I can smell the ozone now...

I was kind of disappointed when they went the battery + wireless route with the new ones, but I guess it makes setting up the tracks and stuff easier (and cheaper). Do the batteries last very long?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Granite Octopus posted:

I am such a sucker for the lego trains. When I was young my best mate had a massive 12v layout. Easily 8x10 ft. Had the big station, a few switches, heaps and heaps of lights and signals. All those accessories and stuff you could get for the 12v trains were awesome.

We used to flog the poo poo out of the big 12v train motors; I can smell the ozone now...

I was kind of disappointed when they went the battery + wireless route with the new ones, but I guess it makes setting up the tracks and stuff easier (and cheaper). Do the batteries last very long?

Don't know, my setup is 9v. the motors pick up power from the rails. Similar to the 12v system but the outer rails are conductive instead of having a middle conductive strip.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Passed up a Troll Mountain Fortress for $60ish at Target the other day. Checked back today and they had Galactic Enforcer for $80, and the $50 Atlantis set marked down to 25. I skipped both of those and picked up the city advent calender for 15 bucks, they had tons of them but none of the castle advent.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Flavor Bear posted:

I went to Target and checked out the Valentine's Day section and saw what I hate to see. A spot on a shelf with a pricetag for minifigs and no minifigs there.
I did finally snag that police minifig set with the crowbar, though.

Hey, thanks for that tip-off, I checked my local target down here in Texas and there were two completely unmolested boxes in between a bunch of valentine's day candy poo poo. I got 20 or 21 figs, roughly 6 baseball players, 6 Samurai, 5 Fishermen, and 3 or 4 Indian Chiefs, and that was just from one box. I didn't even bother with the second box, because of how long it took to identify; I tried the bumps but many times I just couldn't feel them/the packs had more bumps than normal, so I figured them by out feel which got easy after a while. If you feel for the different accessories it works really easily.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

On the stock trains, yes. At shows, where we run the trains all day, a 3 hour performance on one charge seems common. Mind you those of us who build a lot of models tend to push the batteries to their limits but even so, with a much heavier train, we tend to get at least 2 hours. For my club, the bottom line is that they don't make 9v anymore, and the equipment is getting stupidly expensive. On the other hand I love 12v and have quite a bit of it. It's definitely my favorite system, but all of the special components go for a fortune these days so doing a full layout that way now is pretty cost prohibitive.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
recidivist - Noun - One who falls back into prior habits.

So, lurking in this thread for a while has made me want to back into Lego. That, and all my friends are getting back into Warhammer; I need to show them the much better tiny men.

I got LDView/MLCad a while back to look at some Mechwarrior creations Thanks to whoever linked that in the last thread. :hawaaaafap:

Now, I probably won't actually pick something up for a while (might use it as a weight-loss reward) but what do you guys think is the best way to get your hands on a big mess of various bricks for not too much? Bricklink will be good when I need something specific, and Lego.com is likewise, and the Basic Bricks Deluxe doesn't seem to have all that many different types.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Just got this baby in the mail

I've wanted this thing for years but never got around to buying it.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

On a whim I went by the local Goodwill and there was a new Slave 1 for $25. It had been put together, then taken mostly apart and put back into its box. I thought it must have been some angry parent taking toys away. I was worried Boba and Bossk wouldn't be in there, but they were, as well as Han.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Magnetic North posted:

recidivist - Noun - One who falls back into prior habits.

So, lurking in this thread for a while has made me want to back into Lego. That, and all my friends are getting back into Warhammer; I need to show them the much better tiny men.

I got LDView/MLCad a while back to look at some Mechwarrior creations Thanks to whoever linked that in the last thread. :hawaaaafap:

Now, I probably won't actually pick something up for a while (might use it as a weight-loss reward) but what do you guys think is the best way to get your hands on a big mess of various bricks for not too much? Bricklink will be good when I need something specific, and Lego.com is likewise, and the Basic Bricks Deluxe doesn't seem to have all that many different types.

Any Creator line will do. You'll get a nice assortment of parts at a very reasonable price.

\/\/\/\/Its worth it though when you compare it to its competitors like Super Blox and Best-Lock.

Evek fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 17, 2011

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So I took my Deep Sea Striker apart, then took it with me to a family friends' house and built it with their grandson. He's about five to six years old and loves Lego, so he had a lot of fun building the set and swooshing it around.

I'm thinking of bequeathing a few boxes of my old Lego collection to him when he gets older, so that his parents don't have to shell out obscene amounts of money to make sure he has a decent Lego collection. Having to buy Lego sets with my own money has helped me realize just how expensive they are.

therizinosaurus
Aug 22, 2010

by Ozma
So I made something with the lego digital designer, but it seems wickedly expensive, like ~$40 for less than 150 pieces.

Is there any way to do this cheaper?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Make an account on bricklink, set up a wanted list and see if you can get it down to 1 or 2 stores to save on shipping. Unless you used some super rare or expensive parts it shouldn't cost you more than 20 bucks plus shipping.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

Just got this baby in the mail

I've wanted this thing for years but never got around to buying it.

That is so nice. Love the helmets for the aliens. I had a chance to buy that particular set a while ago but forgot to keep my bid up. :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

TheUnhorse posted:

Hey, thanks for that tip-off, I checked my local target down here in Texas and there were two completely unmolested boxes in between a bunch of valentine's day candy poo poo. I got 20 or 21 figs, roughly 6 baseball players, 6 Samurai, 5 Fishermen, and 3 or 4 Indian Chiefs, and that was just from one box. I didn't even bother with the second box, because of how long it took to identify; I tried the bumps but many times I just couldn't feel them/the packs had more bumps than normal, so I figured them by out feel which got easy after a while. If you feel for the different accessories it works really easily.

Interested in selling a baseball player and a fisherman? The Targets here get cleaned out of them basically instantly.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love this roof:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > The Sticklebricks Thread: Something AFOSB

Someone know the story behind the thread title change?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't know, but whoever it was did it made my day

Sticklebricks :allears:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I love this roof:

So would snow. :colbert:

That is gorgeous, though.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Sticklebricks :allears:

I had to look this up, but I remember those things, god, they were awful.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
It reminded me that we didn't even have genuine Sticklebricks as a kid. We had knockoff "bristle blocks" :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never knew there were sticklebricks other than square and doughnut