Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CrazyLittle posted:

yeaaaah. If you guys are telling him that even small amounts of snow or slush call for a set of snow tires, why did I get a different answer when I would be driving in similar conditions around Lake Tahoe?

We're not saying snow tires, we are saying not summer tires. That's a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

We're not saying snow tires, we are saying not summer tires. That's a big difference.

So are the "summer tires" a WRX-standard thing? (Yes, apparently).
Outbacks come with Continental ContiProContact all-seasons, so I should be okay.

Thanks for the answers!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I went through a winter on summer tires, and it wasn't good. I had to plan my route to avoid icy hills and even small amounts of snow were a problem. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I did get by without incident, but wouldn't do it again.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

Outbacks come with Continental ContiProContact all-seasons, so I should be okay.

Thanks for the answers!
The WRX (and STI) are sports cars, so they do not come stock with All-Season tires like the Outback does. The Dunlop SP Sport 01 (stock tire for the '10 WRX) is rated an "Ultra High Performance Summer" tire by tireack.com and will be absolutely terrible in the snow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CrazyLittle posted:

Thanks for the answers!

Yeah, the WRX comes with Dunlop Sport SP01 tires, they are ultra high performance summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+01

They started doing this in 09 model year. Prior to that they came with all-seasons.

In my personal opinion it was a dumb move. I know WHY they did it, the WRX was getting its rear end handed to it by other cars in magazine tests when it came grip as everyone else was equipping their higher spec cars with summer tires. So, it was a marketing choice.

However, as of right now, 49 out of 50 states have snow on the ground somewhere. If I would have taken delivery on my car ANY time this month, I wouldn't have been able to drive it home without chancing wrecking it unless I replaced the tires at the dealership before I ever took it home. That's idiotic. They should at least make regional/time of year allowance in the tire choice. I can forgive the STI as it is such a low volume car and you know you are making practicality compromises when you purchase it, but the WRX is a higher volume seller that's really meant to be a daily driver.

Anyone who wants summer tire grip isn't going to be happy with the SP01s anyways as they are really average tires, so they end up getting replaced. For everyone else, they wouldn't notice the difference between these and an UHP all-season most of the time and it would be far far safer and more practical.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
No snow tires on craigslist where I am (Westchester NY).

And reading this...

bull3964 posted:

Anyone who wants summer tire grip isn't going to be happy with the SP01s anyways as they are really average tires, so they end up getting replaced anyways. For everyone else, they wouldn't notice the difference between these and an UHP all-season most of the time and it would be far far safer and more practical.

Am I better off just getting a set of RE960s mounted on my stock wheels?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I am a big fan of the RE960as. I'm on my 2nd pair right now on my '02. They certainly have enough winter capability to get someone by in all but heavy/blizzard snow conditions.

I can't say for 100% certain whether you would notice a difference between them and the SP01s under normal conditions as I don't know your driving style. Texas doesn't strike me as the kind of place where you'll be carving the twisties very often so you may not be giving up much feel going to them. I will say this, they are PHENOMENAL wet tires.

I think it's a solid plan. If you go that route, you have two choices. You can sell of the SP01s to make up some of the money you spent on the RE960as or you can just hold on to them until the RE960as wear out and you won't have to worry about snow anymore.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 14, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Tatrakrad posted:

No snow tires on craigslist where I am (Westchester NY).

And reading this...

Am I better off just getting a set of RE960s mounted on my stock wheels?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Thanks. I forgot they had classifieds

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CrazyLittle posted:

yeaaaah. If you guys are telling him that even small amounts of snow or slush call for a set of snow tires, why did I get a different answer when I would be driving in similar conditions around Lake Tahoe?
As addressed, this guy is rolling on summers. Also if you're going to have two sets of tires and wheels, you might as well have a summer and winter so you get the best performance. (He already has summer tires).

That said, I'm a winter tire whore and really believe that anyone living somewhere where they actually have winter should buy winter tires. Tahoe (and some other areas) are kind of unique. To get up the hill, you spend 75% of the time in 50F+ weather which will wear the crap out of winter tires. Similarly in some more southern locations, you'll have a total of 5 days of snow every year. This is really the only place i think all-seasons are advisable, though if someone goes to Tahoe every weekend, they'd do well to get some all-seasons that emphasize snow performance -- such as Nokian's WR series.
All-seasons though are always better than summer tires in the snow. I'm not going to begrudge some guy who's in a snowy area for 4 months buying all-seasons (so he can use them after he moves) to avoid driving on summers.

I think good tires are even more important on AWD as in snow it is hard to tell what your level of grip is. AWD avoids a lot of tire tire spin of 2WD cars which can lead to increased confidence. You can drive faster and feel more comfortable, well until you try to brake or turn. . . . There's a reason the cars you see in the ditch are almost always A/4wd. Even with proper tires, those driving AWD should be more cautious because the surface condition is less obvious.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I always feel like I JUST miss a deal on some wheel/tire combo I would have gone for.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I learned back in '05 with my RS that summer tires in the winter DOESN'T WORK. They're straight up DANGEROUS.

On dunlop summers driving to MY GIRLFRIENDs house late at night had me sliding completely through an intersection. The tires turned into hockey pucks. I got winter tires shortly after that.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Advice taken. I'm picking up some used Goodyear F1 all seasons tomorrow in Long Island. Thanks guys.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

CrazyLittle posted:

They just said get a used set of wheels and tires, not necessarily snow tires. My old WRX went through blizzards and up pretty step ice and snow covered driveways on stock all seasons (the lovely RE92s). The one (and only) time I attempted to get by on summer tires after a snow resulted in me drat near sliding into an intersection.

Summer tires literally turn into hockey pucks below 40 degrees. But, the amount of snow required to get a Subaru on newer all-seasons stuck on public roads is much more than you're likely to ever see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually low temps can be fine (depending on the particular summer tire), just as long as it's dry. I had my SP01s out a few times in the low 30's high 20's and I guarantee you I could stop shorter than I can on my snow tires right now in the dry. Add any sort of moisture to the equation though at those temps and you're up poo poo creek.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Kageneko posted:

I always feel like I JUST miss a deal on some wheel/tire combo I would have gone for.

This happened to me (a day late almost always) for years and then one day I actually got that sweet winter tire deal. Four mint winter tires on a set of BMW bottlecap rims for $150. Its crazy how many good winter tire deals show up on craigslist and kijiji.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

$800 bucks for an 04 forester xt trans and rear diff. Worth it?

I'm pretty sure the setup is 4.44 and should bolt in fine to my 02 RS?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

Actually low temps can be fine (depending on the particular summer tire), just as long as it's dry. I had my SP01s out a few times in the low 30's high 20's and I guarantee you I could stop shorter than I can on my snow tires right now in the dry. Add any sort of moisture to the equation though at those temps and you're up poo poo creek.

I actually noticed that the tires were hard as rocks (same SP01s) once it got down to about freezing. Once they warmed up they were fine, but until then they did not perform like a tire should.

On an unrelated note, I figured I'd stop by this thread after not visiting AI for like a year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

$800 bucks for an 04 forester xt trans and rear diff. Worth it?

I'm pretty sure the setup is 4.44 and should bolt in fine to my 02 RS?
That's not too bad of a price. The rear diff should be VLSD too which can't hurt.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009
So I'm about to drop the hammer and get an all-new WRX STI 2011 in early February and I need to know:

What accessories are really handy to get from the dealer?

What price should I expect the dealership to ask for first and settle with later?

What's the best way of breaking in the engine?

What other things should I know before purchasing?

Thanks!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Catsoup posted:

So I'm about to drop the hammer and get an all-new WRX STI 2011 in early February and I need to know:

What price should I expect the dealership to ask for first and settle with later?

Thanks!

none

don't know

drive normally, stay off the rev limiter

you need a downpipe, tune, swaybars, and alignment immediately.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Catsoup posted:

I would advise against spending money on Nav, it's my understanding that just about any aftermarket system is going to be better than the stock system (both in terms of actual sound quality, and nav quality). The only option I added was rubber floor mats, I thought about the extended arm rest but it doesn't match the rest of the STI's interior (or didn't when I bought mine, it may now) and the BBS wheels for track/AX duty.

Catsoup posted:

If you live in a place with a Costco use their auto buying program you'll instantly start the deal at 500 over invoice. I ended up at 500 UNDER invoice for my 2010.

Catsoup posted:

You're going to get answers ranging from drive it like your grandmother to drive it like you stole it, and everything in between. I for the most part followed the recommendation of varying the revs until 1000 miles as laid out in the owners manual. I did not however baby the car and did a number of autocrosses while still under the magical 1000 mile mark though I also changed my oil after each one (perhaps overkill?). I switched to synthetic at 3000 miles and have never had a single issue with my engine (at ~13k now).

When I bought my car EVERYONE said to get an Accessport immediately and install the stage 1 map as it was "safer" than the stock map. Looking at the AFR's in the stock map there was clearly some truth in that. I'm not certain if this is still the case with the 2011's or not but you should check IWSTI and see what folks are saying as I suspect that it is.

Catsoup posted:

The dealerships will give you all kinds of poo poo about how "Rare" the car is and blah blah blah. I went in knowing the location and asking price of *every single STI in Portland* along with the color and packages on each car when I went to make the deal and as a result skipped all of that bullshit, I would advise that you do the same.

allonblack fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 16, 2011

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I'm about to pull the trigger on an 03 Legacy L sedan. 53K,5 speed and the dealer wants $7800. Is this a fair price? Are there any issues to this particular model I should look for? It's my first car and I'm hopefully gonna be driving this thing for quite a while so I want to make sure I get off on the right foot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

allonblack posted:

When I bought my car EVERYONE said to get an Accessport immediately and install the stage 1 map as it was "safer" than the stock map. Looking at the AFR's in the stock map there was clearly some truth in that. I'm not certain if this is still the case with the 2011's or not but you should check IWSTI and see what folks are saying as I suspect that it is.
The stock map is still terrible according to my tuner's dyno, at least. You should absolutely seek an AP, or better yet, a decent open source tune by someone with some experience.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Catsoup posted:

I got the rubber floor mats, short throw shifter, ipod integration, subwoofer, rubber rear bumper guard thingy, blue floor illumination, and arm rest extender for my 2010 WRX.

The last two were kinda "why not?" buys, although the arm rest extender is REALLY nice. It sounds like such a little meaningless thing, but I tend to drive with my elbow on the center console, and this made the car more comfortable to drive in. I thought it was worth it.

I wouldn't get the nav, as someone said. It costs like, $3000 extra I think... not worth it. I found a used nav unit off of Nasioc for $600 and installed it myself. However, as someone above said, nearly any aftermarket unit will be better for cheaper. Also, I kinda regret the iPod and Subwoofer (since I replaced the iPod connection with my new deck... and the subwoofer isn't that loud anyway).

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

allonblack posted:

I would advise against spending money on Nav, it's my understanding that just about any aftermarket system is going to be better than the stock system (both in terms of actual sound quality, and nav quality).

I suggest that you actually test drive a vehicle that has the nav system you're looking at. Aftermarket nav systems are definitely the best at what they do, but the factory systems offer better integration with the rest of the vehicle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dk2m posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on an 03 Legacy L sedan. 53K,5 speed and the dealer wants $7800. Is this a fair price? Are there any issues to this particular model I should look for? It's my first car and I'm hopefully gonna be driving this thing for quite a while so I want to make sure I get off on the right foot.
2.5? Headgaskets
That seems pretty overpriced to me. $8k will get you into a 2005 Legacy, which is a better car, without HG issues.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The stock map is still terrible according to my tuner's dyno, at least. You should absolutely seek an AP, or better yet, a decent open source tune by someone with some experience.

Is there a solid answer somewhere on if Subaru can tell if the car has been flashed? Assuming you flash back to stock before taking the car to the dealer. I'm wondering if there are timestamps somewhere...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

sanchez posted:

Is there a solid answer somewhere on if Subaru can tell if the car has been flashed? Assuming you flash back to stock before taking the car to the dealer. I'm wondering if there are timestamps somewhere...
As far as I recall, there are some parameters in the ECU that regard the time of its latest flash, how many times it's been reflashed, etc.

I would assume those parameters are capable of being overwritten from a competent flashing tool, since they are just stored in memory along with everything else.

I would be surprised if Subaru techs took the time to check it out in order to deny a warranty claim, particularly if it's not related to an engine problem. A lot of their book hours (at least in Canada) are on the optimistic side, which sucks for them. That said, I'm not saying you should go in there with the Cobb tune right on the ECU trying to intentionally make them angry - I'm just saying they probably won't search for the specific parameters unless it's getting into the humongous-expense category of warranty repair (e.g. blown engine).

scradley
Aug 18, 2005

Ive got an 06 WRX that ive had for just over a year now ive got a cat-back and an STI intercooler and I have a catless downpipe sitting in my garage, Thing is im afraid to go full catless without reflashing it. Im an idiot for thinking a OTS opensource tune would be the best way to keep my engine from grenading itself?, ive heard from the echo chamber on NASIOC that i could crack a ringland with no tune on an 06 WRX because it will boost creep? I was thinking of getting that tactrix 1.3 cable for $50 on ebay and a cheap netbook to get it flashed.

Also it just hit 60,000 miles and on already operating temp startups and after highways I get what I think is some oil smell. Sometimes it shoots a large cloud of smoke when I fill up at the gas station, it doesnt smoke all the time so i highly doubt its a compression/ringland issue. I don't run a turbo timer. Symptoms of rear main seal going or should I look to replace that PCV T-fitting under the IC?

Whats the hot turbo upgrade for the 06 2.5 litre these days? Im not looking for 5MT shattering levels of power. I like the response of my turbo but the top end is lacking alot.

scradley fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 16, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scradley posted:

Whats the hot turbo upgrade for the 06 2.5 litre these days? Im not looking for 5MT shattering levels of power. I like the response of my turbo but the top end is lacking alot.
My tuner has a 68HTA which puts down a pretty admirable amount of top-end without destroying the response. He also has a few other mods (equal-length headers, exhaust).

Here it is against a stock TD04:

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009

allonblack posted:

I'm a complete noob when it comes to cars so I don't quite understand what an Accessport is, I'm assuming you're talking about flashing the ECU or something? What do you mean by "safe"? What benefits does that give, and can it void the warranty? Thanks answering so many questions of mine by the way, more will probably be coming :P

Catsoup fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 16, 2011

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I have an additional question about using an Accessport to flash my car. I heard that a Stage 1 is totally safe on a stock setup (well, I have the SPT cat-back exhaust, but it's still 99.9% stock).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yup, that's what Stage 1 is for. I have that flashed on my 07 WRX wagon, which only has an STi catback, and it made a pretty substantial difference.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

sanchez posted:

I've been told that when you divorce your accessport from the ECU it restores the backup it took prior to flashing it which restores the stock ecu checksum along with any and all traces of the ECU having been flashed.

Cobb's website posted:

Q. Can a dealer detect that I have an AccessPORT installed?

A. Yes, this is possible unless you use the [Revert to Stock] menu option to load a purely stock program on the ECU. While the vehicle can be serviced by the dealership in the same way as a stock vehicle, and all the Dealer scan tools function 100% the same, the data on the ECU has a marker known as a "checksum". Whenever any data on the ECU is changed, this checksum value must be changed in order for the ECU to operate. If a dealership compares this checksum value against another stock car, the values will be different. If you use the [Revert to Stock] menu option to uninstall the AccessPORT from your vehicle, the checksum on the ECU is now a valid stock checksum. No markers are left by the AccessPORT when using the [Revert to Stock] menu option.

Catsoup posted:

I'm a complete noob when it comes to cars so I don't quite understand what an Accessport is, I'm assuming you're talking about flashing the ECU or something? What do you mean by "safe"? What benefits does that give, and can it void the warranty? Thanks answering so many questions of mine by the way, more will probably be coming :P

The accessport is a nifty little device that flashes your ECU with "maps" allowing you to tune your engine. http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=4357

See above for warranty discussion.

As far as the "safe" portion of it, there are much better people active in this thread to explain it to you but I'll do my best job (be nice if I'm way off).

AFR refers to your Air to Fuel Ratio, basically as the car gets into boost the ECU should increase the amount of fuel that goes into the system (Rich) in order to prevent knock/detonation. The stock tune doesn't actually alter the AFR until the car is too far into boost leaving the system short on fuel (Lean) which is dangerous to the internals (see knock/detonation).

You can see on this chart the difference between the stock AFR as it relates to boost (IE as the HP climbs), and the proper stage 1 tune.

allonblack fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 17, 2011

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009
Ok, that post sold me on an Accessport pretty quickly! Definitely picking up one of those bad boys when I get my STI. I was looking on the website and saw there's tunes for 91 octane - which is good because in Denver I have trouble finding gas stations that sell 93, will this improve my engine's survivability?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I found out on my 400mi trip this weekend why my clutch wasn't disengaging properly. The loving clutch fork is cracked and doesn't seem to be attached to the pivot ball anymore. My clutch isn't totally gone but I was hoping I wouldn't have the do this job this soon. now I have to wait until tuesday to call subaru about a fork on top of it.

Also, anyone have advice on doing a clutch job? Is it easier/quicker to pull then engine or the trans to do the clutch?

Edit: will a 2.5rs clutch and flywheel kit work on my EJ22 with a cable clutch? I was going to try to get a lighter flywheel while I'm in there.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 17, 2011

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Catsoup posted:

Ok, that post sold me on an Accessport pretty quickly! Definitely picking up one of those bad boys when I get my STI. I was looking on the website and saw there's tunes for 91 octane - which is good because in Denver I have trouble finding gas stations that sell 93, will this improve my engine's survivability?

That's the whole point behind switching to the stage 1 tune ASAP - engine survivability.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009

allonblack posted:

That's the whole point behind switching to the stage 1 tune ASAP - engine survivability.
So how do I decide which one to flash my ECU with? I see Cobb has alot of pre-made ones, but is there a better option if I'm just driving a stock STI straight out of the dealer's lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Catsoup posted:

So how do I decide which one to flash my ECU with? I see Cobb has alot of pre-made ones, but is there a better option if I'm just driving a stock STI straight out of the dealer's lot?

Stage 1 infers that it's bone stock.

As for *which* stage one, it depends on what gas you're running. 93 octane or 91 octane. If you cannot get 93 octane at all times, use the 91 octane tune.