Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Didn't this thread used to be about TV?

There's a new improv comedy show on BBC2 tonight called Fast and Loose with Hugh Dennis and a bunch of people I've never heard of. Some details can be found here: http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/fast_and_loose/

It looks quite interesting, like an updated Who's Line Is It Anyway?, so I'll be giving it a chance tonight to see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

Taear posted:

I just bought Bruce Parry's Tribe
The best one is when he's in Gabon and he takes part in a religious festival from the local Bwiti religion. He takes a plant called an Iboga which "makes you relive past guilts through the eyes of the person you hurt". It really was fascinating hearing him talk about it. The things drugs can do!

justcola posted:

If you enjoyed the one where he takes drugs, there's another one where he takes a different drug. I can't remember the details, though one's in Africa and has him sat in a hut having a bit of a rough time and the other is in Indonesia or something and doing some tribal drumming and dancing. Both are pretty interesting if you're at all interested in shamanism, tribes, drugs or bruce parry.
Wasn't there an episode where he had to stick his arms in two ants' nests hanging from a pole for a minute? As well as being incredibly painful I think he started hallucinating a bit.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

themonkeythatcried posted:

Didn't this thread used to be about TV?

There's a new improv comedy show on BBC2 tonight called Fast and Loose with Hugh Dennis and a bunch of people I've never heard of. Some details can be found here: http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/fast_and_loose/

It looks quite interesting, like an updated Who's Line Is It Anyway?, so I'll be giving it a chance tonight to see how it goes.

Well, Greg Davies is the tall off of We Are Klang and The Inbetweeners, and his stand-up is awesome. Marek Larwood is also in We Are Klang. Laura Solon won the Edinburgh award thing and is in Harry & Paul's latest show. Pippa Evens does the (slightly hit and miss) country music character Loretta main, (Basically a female Otis Lee Crenshaw). David Armand is the guy who dances to the lyrics of torn, and is also in How Not to Live Your Life. I don't really know who the rest of those people are, but it's not a bad line-up really.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I was in the studio audience for an episode of Fast and Loose, like all improv shows it's a hit and miss bunch depending on the talent of the performers (mixed) and the potential of the rounds (mixed).

There was some really lazy "in a variety of movie genre" and "answer questions in character" stuff and a really bizarre round where the comedians' faces were mapped on to CGI animals which really didn't work. On the other hand there was some fantastic stuff especially when Greg and Marek were paired together obviously. Hugh is a great host as well.

Oddly they had a few singers there who I think were from one of those improvised musical troupes who did a few rounds and were far moer talented than the regular players.

Hopefully it will find it's niche over time as they work out which rounds work and which don't.

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG
Not UK related, but as Fast & Loose is being discussed, Whose Line fans might be interested in this: New Drew Carey-hosted improv comedy show starts on US TV in March; includes Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops, Brad Sherwood, Jeff Davis, Chip Esten, Kathy Kinney, etc

On topic, what's goon consensus on Cold Feet? It's one of the few major UK comedies/comedy-dramas from the past decade or so that I haven't tried out, and my mum's been raving about it ever since I bought her the DVDs for Christmas.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Wezzo posted:

On topic, what's goon consensus on Cold Feet?

I haven't seen it and I don't remember goons talking about it but my impression was that it was universally praised and adored.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wezzo posted:

On topic, what's goon consensus on Cold Feet? It's one of the few major UK comedies/comedy-dramas from the past decade or so that I haven't tried out, and my mum's been raving about it ever since I bought her the DVDs for Christmas.

Not sure but I avoid anything with James Nesbitt in out of principle.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Cold Feet was pretty good, from what I remember of it. Similar in tone to something like Teachers, if you've ever seen that. Not out and out *funny*, especially towards the end, but has a definite warmth to it. I can't remember how many series there were, four or five I think, so I don't know if it's worth watching the whole thing, but if your Mum alreay has the DVDs there's no harm in checking it out.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Did anyone catch The Great Outdoors? Never heard of it, but caught a minute towards the end and it looked like it might possibly be not terrible. Any opinions? Stars Brian off of Spaced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t6z51/The_Great_Outdoors_Episode_1/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I quite enjoyed it back when it did a run on iPlayer a few months ago.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Junkenstein posted:

Did anyone catch The Great Outdoors? Never heard of it, but caught a minute towards the end and it looked like it might possibly be not terrible. Any opinions? Stars Brian off of Spaced.

Been meaning to watch it for a while for the reason you mentioned, but haven't heard any feedback (positive or negative).

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
God I absolutely love Hustle

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Taear posted:

If you've got Sky it's going to be free until August 31st.
And then what? Does it come with a previous bundle or will it be charging something new entirely.

August 31st? Hmmm sounds like the kind of time a new series of Mad Men would start, oh Sky.

Excited about Boardwalk Empire and getting to see SFU, one of the very few shows I haven't watched that I really should.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
I have now seen Jonathan Ross eating Heston Blumenthal's chocolate starfish.

Thanks Channel 4.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Fast and Loose

More like

Comedians Can't Do Improv But Corpsing Gets A Laugh So That Will Do

edit:
ok this top down scene thing is funny, but not because its improv, but because it's silly

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 14, 2011

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

FractionMan posted:

I have now seen Jonathan Ross eating Heston Blumenthal's chocolate starfish.

Thanks Channel 4.

I could have done without that, but I wouldn't mind some of that wolf fish & chips, everyone seemed to find it delicious. Okay, it's not exactly a looker, but in my experience, the more hideous a fish is, the yummier it tastes.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Every single time I see Sandi Toksvig I think "Didn't she die?", then remember I'm thinking of Linda Smith. Every time.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 15, 2011

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

This is really excellent, thanks for the heads up.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

DaWolfey posted:

Fast and Loose

More like

Comedians Can't Do Improv But Corpsing Gets A Laugh So That Will Do

edit:
ok this top down scene thing is funny, but not because its improv, but because it's silly

I quite liked it, the main thing it suffers from is a constant comparison with Whose Line is it Anyway. For instance why did he read out what everyone was when it should have been for the audience only, and why were there so many of them? Also the US version of Whose Line spoiled us because Drew would get out from behind his desk and join in.

The improv song round was a good idea but why get in an outside performer who had rehersed it? It would have been far funnier to have one of them get up and try to do it on the spot.

On the plus side it did make me laugh a few times, with some tightening and ditching of rounds it could be really good, the topdown bit WAS hilarious but needed to be one scene somehow, Greg Davies is always great and also I've never seen Laura Solon before but she was adorable :allears:

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

incredible bear posted:

And then what? Does it come with a previous bundle or will it be charging something new entirely.

August 31st? Hmmm sounds like the kind of time a new series of Mad Men would start, oh Sky.

Excited about Boardwalk Empire and getting to see SFU, one of the very few shows I haven't watched that I really should.

End of August is about the time Boardwalk Empire s2 will begin, other than that, are BBC not showing Mad Men anymore? Thats lame.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Every single time I see Sandi Toksvig I think "Didn't she die?", then remember I'm thinking of Linda Smith. Every time.

I didn't even realise that Linda Smith died!

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

Zorba the Greek posted:

I didn't even realise that Linda Smith died!

Well it was only five years ago, albeit after there was a fair selection of tribute shows on Radio 4, two CDs and a book release.

I really miss Linda Smith :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dicky B posted:

This is really excellent, thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Well written, good cast, nice new little comedy.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Irisi posted:

I could have done without that, but I wouldn't mind some of that wolf fish & chips, everyone seemed to find it delicious. Okay, it's not exactly a looker, but in my experience, the more hideous a fish is, the yummier it tastes.

Shame the loving thing is even more overfished than Atlantic Cod. Oh and hey main way of catching them is loving bottom trawling, pretty much the worst type of fishing you can possibly do.

so hey, great alternative to Cod yeah?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pablo Bluth posted:

I wish she had died instead of Linda Smith, she's crap

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

spe posted:

End of August is about the time Boardwalk Empire s2 will begin, other than that, are BBC not showing Mad Men anymore? Thats lame.

I'd be very surprised in Boardwalk Empire's second series started in America less than a year after the first. HBO series usually have around 18months between series except Entourage which is only 30min episodes.

The ads for Sky Atlantic claim they'll have Mad Men series 5. I think 4 is on BBC now, isn't it? They bid 25% or so more than BBC, so they're going for this big time even beyond the HBO deal, which looks like cracking value on it's own.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mickolution posted:

I'd be very surprised in Boardwalk Empire's second series started in America less than a year after the first. HBO series usually have around 18months between series except Entourage which is only 30min episodes.

The ads for Sky Atlantic claim they'll have Mad Men series 5. I think 4 is on BBC now, isn't it? They bid 25% or so more than BBC, so they're going for this big time even beyond the HBO deal, which looks like cracking value on it's own.

I vaguely remember that that beeb starting showing series 4 of MM when it was finishing in the States?

Mad Men is only contracted for 5 seasons with AMC, but I believe there's discussion about doing a sixth. Anything beyond that would ruin it for me and turn it into a soap opera. I really can't believe they would want to take it into the 70s (I wouldn't want them to either to be honest).

I recall Sky saying there would be some original content on Atlantic at well so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out..

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Mickolution posted:

The BBC started with Mad Men series a few months ago now, while repeating series 1 at the same time. They still haven't shown 2 + 3 again. Same with Damages. :allears:

Scant Consolation
Sep 4, 2006
Good Egg

Metrication posted:

I really can't believe they would want to take it into the 70s (I wouldn't want them to either to be honest).

Matt Weiner has said they won't, but then he also said they wouldn't do a JFK assassination episode.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Metrication posted:

I vaguely remember that that beeb starting showing series 4 of MM when it was finishing in the States?

Mad Men is only contracted for 5 seasons with AMC, but I believe there's discussion about doing a sixth. Anything beyond that would ruin it for me and turn it into a soap opera. I really can't believe they would want to take it into the 70s (I wouldn't want them to either to be honest).

I recall Sky saying there would be some original content on Atlantic at well so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out..

There'll be something called This Is Jinsy according to Wiki, which was a pilot made by BBC that wasn't picked up but got decent receives.

I agree with you on Mad Men. They're absolutely flying through time too, skipping almost a year between series 3 and 4. Although I was joking with a friend a while back that it'd be funny if they went on so far that the characters started watching Mad Men on TV.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not having an actual TV, just went on a bit of a binge of this weeks comedy.

Thought Episodes was pretty good. It's actually an example of the kind of comedy I don't think could ever translate to the American system. I'll be watching it in the future, and not just because I love Tamsin Greig.

Fast and Loose I found hilarious at moments, but I think it needs the participants to stop being their characters and act to the scene. It's really going to depend on the people taking part, and I can see them screwing up by going for "character" comedians who can't improvise to save their lives.

Everything else I found a bit ordinary.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

goatface posted:

Thought Episodes was pretty good. It's actually an example of the kind of comedy I don't think could ever translate to the American system. I'll be watching it in the future, and not just because I love Tamsin Greig.

I've seen the first two and thought they were poor. It's basically a Curb Your Enthusiasm rip off in terms of taking a "look how vapid Hollywood is" thing and putting the main characters in awkard situations. For me, this only works if the main characters are likable and I really didn't find either likable in the slightest. I'll give it another go and probably watch the series as it's only 6 episodes I think, but I haven't liked what I've seen so far. It's a shame, as I was really looking forward to it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Junkenstein posted:

I like this a lot.

Infinite pudding!

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Yeah, Sky have the rights for Mad Men S5 and beyond, but BBC can repeat S1-4 as much as they like. I think that's the only AMC show they've got though, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are both safe on FX while the already cancelled Rubicon will be on BBC4.

Oh wiki has a list of shows Atlantic has: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Atlantic Band of Brothers and Sex and the City are the two HBO shows that come to mind that aren't mentioned.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Uncertain Frog posted:

I quite liked it, the main thing it suffers from is a constant comparison with Whose Line is it Anyway. For instance why did he read out what everyone was when it should have been for the audience only, and why were there so many of them? Also the US version of Whose Line spoiled us because Drew would get out from behind his desk and join in.

The improv song round was a good idea but why get in an outside performer who had rehersed it? It would have been far funnier to have one of them get up and try to do it on the spot.

On the plus side it did make me laugh a few times, with some tightening and ditching of rounds it could be really good, the topdown bit WAS hilarious but needed to be one scene somehow, Greg Davies is always great and also I've never seen Laura Solon before but she was adorable :allears:

Laura Solon is really good, she is all about doing wierd accents and oddball characters. You should check out her radio 4 show - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Solon:_Talking_and_Not_Talking

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ugh, gently caress this insomnia. I'm stuck watching this Andrew Marr show and he's interviewing the Milliband Labour leader whilst being a confrontational, uninformed dick. He's trying to do a Paxman without actually knowing gently caress all about economics.

He keeps on slipping in little quips like "blah blah blah Labour failing", "when people were talking about blah blah blah Labour failing" and on top of that he doesnt even seem to know how interest works.

They were talking about tuition repayments and Milliband rightly pointed out that the rich overall pay less back under the new conditions, Marr just cut him off, flatly saying that he's wrong before briskly moving the conversation on.

These types of presenters need to be purged from TV.

edit: he also keeps on trying to put words in Milliband's mouth. gently caress this unprofessional douche.

edit: haha and this show is going to be followed up by some kind of talk show with Nicky Campbell asking an audience if bankers should go to heaven. :suicide:

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 16, 2011

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I wish they'd get a better political corespondant. I've long since given up expecting Andrew Marr to do an interview that is centred on asking relevant questions to an interesting person. Instead all he ever does is smugly try to score points with the viewer while imagining himself to be performing some vision of tough, relentless journalism I can only assume he's trying to imitate from Paxman. He's petty as poo poo and every time I see that look of self-satisfaction he gets from cutting off someone actually responding directly to the question he just asked I want to hit him in his fat face.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

incredible bear posted:

Oh wiki has a list of shows Atlantic has: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Atlantic Band of Brothers and Sex and the City are the two HBO shows that come to mind that aren't mentioned.

Good.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Band of Brothers was a BBC co-production, so they can go tell Murdock to swivel. In theory, Sky's exclusive HBO licence doesn't stop future collaborations between the two either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Huh, I forgot about that, it's kind of weird BBC had nothing to do with The Pacific (maybe it's not, maybe that's why it sucked). I'd guess that collabrations between BBC and HBO will die down since this agreement though.

BBC teaming up with Showtime for Episodes might be the start of something new we can hope. We need a straw clutching emoticon.