Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
My take on the villains in GC: ignorance, apathy, selfishness, intolerance, fear, and despair.

It seems like Coyote's main focus here is making sure nobody in the Forest knows about the sword - he's happy it's in the Court so it won't be found on her. If it were a spy device, he would be telling her not to tell anyone in the Court about it, which he didn't. It is interesting, though. Why should he care? Just because it's a powerful weapon? That doesn't seem sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

idonotlikepeas posted:

My take on the villains in GC: ignorance, apathy, selfishness, intolerance, fear, and despair.

It seems like Coyote's main focus here is making sure nobody in the Forest knows about the sword - he's happy it's in the Court so it won't be found on her. If it were a spy device, he would be telling her not to tell anyone in the Court about it, which he didn't. It is interesting, though. Why should he care? Just because it's a powerful weapon? That doesn't seem sufficient.

Maybe he doesn't want everyone to come to him with their problems. If he gave everyone he knew a tooth, his mouth would taste like rocks...

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I think EoRaptor was right; he gave up a significant power and doesn't want the rest of the forest to know he's been weakened.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The moral of this is to never trust deities, especially the silly ones. Also don't cheat on your homework.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
I don't think his tooth has the power to cut ravines into the earth. That was his claw.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

endolithic posted:

The moral of this is to never trust deities, especially the silly ones. Also don't cheat on your homework.
Wow, now I really want the epilogue page to just be a shot of Jones saying "The moral of this chapter is: don't cheat on your homework."

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Fecha posted:

Wow, now I really want the epilogue page to just be a shot of Jones saying "The moral of this chapter is: don't cheat on your homework."

This, because it is brilliant.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think EoRaptor was right; he gave up a significant power and doesn't want the rest of the forest to know he's been weakened.

Either this or he thinks (probably rightly) that the other beings of the forest would not respond well to the knowledge that he gave a human such a gift / power. Ysengrin, for one, would certainly be enraged by the very idea of a human receiving a gift from Coyote.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Ysengrin puts a lot of stock in the fact that Coyote gave him a super cool power and he probably wouldn't be to happy about Annie having any gifts from Coyote

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Elftor posted:

I don't think his tooth has the power to cut ravines into the earth. That was his claw.

His claw is what did that in the past, but I seem to recall him warning Annie to be careful with the tooth because it "could cut the very earth!"

Of course, who knows what that means in this context.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

Either this or he thinks (probably rightly) that the other beings of the forest would not respond well to the knowledge that he gave a human such a gift / power. Ysengrin, for one, would certainly be enraged by the very idea of a human receiving a gift from Coyote.

This is also completely possible. Coyote is also vain, and perhaps doesn't want anyone to know he has a fake tooth. He's done worse stuff for more idiotic reasons.

We simply don't have enough knowledge to know Coyotes motivations and limits, only the rough outlines. It makes a great way to drive a story, and hopefully we won't be forever left hanging about all this. I look forward to reading more, though we are due for a chapter break any day now.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I find funny that Jones thought she could threaten Coyote a few pages back and then he does something like this like it's nothing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Talas posted:

I find funny that Jones thought she could threaten Coyote a few pages back and then he does something like this like it's nothing.

We don't even know what Jones is capable of.

Uggghhh weekend break on another cliffhanger.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

idonotlikepeas posted:

:aaa: ANNIE IS CAPTAIN MARVEL

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Brannock posted:

We don't even know what Jones is capable of.

Uggghhh weekend break on another cliffhanger.

It's going to come back to Coyote going "Haha! Just kidding! You should have seen the look on your face! I am so smart!" and then unfreezing time and telling everyone about the tooth

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
The Story So Far:

Antimony is now officially in over her head.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Macaluso posted:

It's going to come back to Coyote going "Haha! Just kidding! You should have seen the look on your face! I am so smart!" and then unfreezing time and telling everyone about the tooth

Did he ever actually say "I am so smart"? I think he did, and if so does someone have a link to that strip?

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Love Coyote's sudden personality shift but I think he could use a little touch of his usual humor. Something like " What, don't like my bracelet? Well fine then you can have a necklace instead."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elftor posted:

The operative part of "he is a trickster god" in this case is a word beginning with the letter g

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Pardot posted:

Did he ever actually say "I am so smart"? I think he did, and if so does someone have a link to that strip?

It was on this infuriatingly excellent page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=504

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Kismet posted:

It was on this infuriatingly excellent page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=504
I think my favorite part about that page is how Coyote "abused" his omnipresence to make fun of Antelope's face.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 15, 2011

illie
Jan 13, 2011

I like that page & Coyote a bunch, so I made some avs if anyone wants them

plain:

smartypants version:

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
Coyote is Coyote, as has been said. This new turn of events is surprising, but still totally in-character. He's not being a villain here any more than he was being a hero before. He does whatever suits him because he's Coyote, AND HE loving CAN.

Coyote is neutral, as are many of the characters. I can't think of any character I would actually label as a "bad guy." Even Ysegrin has his good points. I'm glad for this, since nothing screams LAZY STORYTELLING like a cartoonishly rear end in a top hat villain with no redeeming qualities.

And I agree that his just asking Annie nicely would have worked fine, but I guess he wanted complete reassurance that she'd obey him. Annie is like a pet to him. A pretty and amusing pet, but still a pet. Plus, Coyote has no understanding of how traumatic it would be for a human to lose a hand. He can pop bits off himself and give them as gifts. He can juggle his eyeballs as a parlor trick. If he did hurt Annie, he'd just get annoyed with her sobbing and bleeding all over the place and do what he had to to get her to stop being such a drag, but he wouldn't enjoy seeing her suffer. It's irrelevant to him, so Coyote probably doesn't consider this security measure a Big Deal.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

illie posted:

I like that page & Coyote a bunch, so I made some avs if anyone wants them

plain:

smartypants version:

Haha, these are great. I'm gonna snatch up the text-less version, and skip the custom text part. Coyote really speaks for himself. Edit: Dang, that was fast.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Coyote is only doing this because he thinks it's funny.

The name Wandering Eye reminds me of the Graeae from Greek Mythology, three witches with one eye between them. Also one tooth.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Coyote is the ultimate rear end in a top hat, why am I the only person to see this aaagh.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Heh, I totally called this.

My (fairly wild) speculation on the tooth is that Coyote wants Annie to take action against Reynardine - if Annie kills Rey, the power Coyote gave him presumeably returns, the Court wouldn't be able to blame him, and it would be within the letter of the Court-Coyote deal. If Coyote reveals that the Court tricked the main figure in Gillitie forest who was pro-human, and then murdered him, this should galvanise his support within the forest and end the boring, boring peace between the wood and the court. Ysengrin especially shouldn't know, because he's just starting to realise Rey wasn't the traitor he thought he was, but a pawn in a whole bunch of people's games.

Overall, we'd know a lot more once we actually meet other 'people' within Gillitie Wood. Apart from the suicide fairies, the only people we've actually seen within the forest were essentially usurpers who arrived after the founding of the Court, and who personally had some sort of role in the schism between the two sides. Coyote is definitely up to something, though. You don't start threatening maiming on a child, unless the stakes are even greater than that.

Another thought I had was that Annie's new 'bracelet' was similar to the new choker Jeanne started wearing a certain period of time after her lover was killed. But checking the archives shows that it looks quite different, so...

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but could the bracelet just be the "catch" of Annie getting a power from Coyote? Reynardine kills his host when he leaves their body and Ysengrin's real body is old and weak. Presumably there's going to be some sort of drawback with the toothknife.

e: Also, I just finished reading the archives after seeing the comic reccomended here. I was skeptical while reading the first couple chapters, but I'm glad I kept going!

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 16, 2011

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Turfahurf posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but could the bracelet just be the "catch" of Annie getting a power from Coyote? Reynardine kills his host when he leaves their body and Ysengrin's real body is old and weak. Presumably there's going to be some sort of drawback with the toothknife.

She hasn't used the tooth at all though. She would probably have to use it for there to be a drawback.

Then again, he pretty much gave her a loaded Chekov's gun, and told her she can't tell anyone, which is probably going to end with her using it on someone. That seems like a 'catch' to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It makes me actually wonder if all Coyote's gifts bring alienation:

Rey refused Coyote's gifts initially because he feared they would divide him from his human friends, and when he did accept, it caused him to kill someone and so become immediately alienated from both his friends in the Wood and from the Court.

Ysengrin accepted Coyote's gifts, and became alienated in shame, because he was too proud to let the physical cost show. Result: extreme attachment to Coyote, presumeably alienation from other woodland creatures.

Annie accepted Coyote's tooth, and I'll bet if she ever uses it, she'll have a huge degree of trouble. Plus in Coyote's teaching of her so far ("you're not exactly human"), he's been rather keen to stress her difference from her friends and colleagues.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Welp, you've done it now Annie. Time to deal with it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Coyote may also be trying to discourage Annie from thinking she can just run to him any time she has problems.

Something like:

Annie: Oh Coyote, the court is being so mean, can you I stay with you?
Coyote: Sure babe, take as long as you need.
Coyote: P.S. If you tell about X, I'm cutting your hand off, agreed?
Annie: Uh...
Coyote: Excellent! Ta-ta...

Honestly, I think it's hilarious. Coyote clearly doesn't want to deal with petty poo poo, so if it gets dumped in his lap he's going to make sure you know he's not liking it.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

Honestly, I think it's hilarious. Coyote clearly doesn't want to deal with petty poo poo, so if it gets dumped in his lap he's going to make sure you know he's not liking it.
Or perhaps if he's dealing with something boring, he has he urge to make it more exciting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Er, rubbish, Coyote obviously is the one pushing Annie to stay in the woods, and only is springing these nasty surprises after Annie has been cajoled into agreeing to stay. The guy sees an opportunity, and is taking it, that is all. He's loving every minute of this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Maybe Coyote will wear a matching one and claim they are ~friendship bracelets~.
This would be wonderful. Especially because everyone would believe him. I guess the benefit of doing outrageous things is that when you do something straightforward, you can tell an outrageous lie to cover it up and people will believe you.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
@New comic

Oh Ysengrin, you big softy.

Foomin
Feb 14, 2005

Mickey Eye posted:

I wonder how they will explain the band. Maybe a mark that shows she is allowed into the forest or maybe it will not be visible at all.

Proof of admission wristband, duh. She'll be able to go all summer without getting carded

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wouldn't be very effective magic if it were visible. Or at least, to Court people.

WeaveJester
Sep 24, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Wouldn't be very effective magic if it were visible. Or at least, to Court people.

Wouldn't making it invisible to the Forest people be a better idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeaveJester posted:

Wouldn't making it invisible to the Forest people be a better idea?

Coyote is a dude who likes bragging about himself so much he tells stories about how awesome he is at boasting, and you think he would do this so that it would be invisible?

It's a small mercy there's not little neon lights dancing around it blinking out FIRE HAIR GIRL IS TOTES IN OVER HER HEAD