Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love almost everything about that dwarf model, it'd be one of my favorite sculpts if it weren't for the god drat teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Captain Invictus posted:

I love almost everything about that dwarf model, it'd be one of my favorite sculpts if it weren't for the god drat teeth.

I was just thinking how much character the teeth lend to the model... /shrug

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Well, that and I could just paint them the same color as the mask. But I saw some one else paint the teeth, and I thought I would go for it.

Thanks for all the compliments. It really wasn't intended to be NMM, just non-metallic. I can see the allure of NMM though after painting this though. From one angle that axe handle looks like a sweet rear end gold or bronze, but it is just brown. The armor is just Reaper's Volcano Brown blended up with Hammerfall Khaki, the greyish armor is just Reaper's Dark Elf skin triad. Nothing fancy at all. And after painting my Brets, everything I do is easy as poo poo. For months straight I was sitting there blending together 60 jars of paint, working with dozens of colors in a sitting, free handing heraldry. It was like miniature bootcamp. Just a single small model like this or the toad is a breeze.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It looks ceramic. It owns owns owns.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Bachtere posted:

Well, that and I could just paint them the same color as the mask. But I saw some one else paint the teeth, and I thought I would go for it.

Thanks for all the compliments. It really wasn't intended to be NMM, just non-metallic. I can see the allure of NMM though after painting this though. From one angle that axe handle looks like a sweet rear end gold or bronze, but it is just brown. The armor is just Reaper's Volcano Brown blended up with Hammerfall Khaki, the greyish armor is just Reaper's Dark Elf skin triad. Nothing fancy at all. And after painting my Brets, everything I do is easy as poo poo. For months straight I was sitting there blending together 60 jars of paint, working with dozens of colors in a sitting, free handing heraldry. It was like miniature bootcamp. Just a single small model like this or the toad is a breeze.

You go to hell and you die, easy my rear end.

Bhyo posted:

It looks ceramic. It owns owns owns.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I ordered myself a Dystopian Wars Kingdom of Britannia Battleship for Christmas. Very easy and quick to paint.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is that razzle-dazzle camo?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Yeah, I chose not to do the bright colours of the real dazzle because it looks a bit silly.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Click here for the full 1479x581 image.

Click here for the full 1811x665 image.

Click here for the full 2047x755 image.

Test warriors; something 'bout them that I can't place.

Critique if possible thanks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The base doesnt contrast the model very well other that I think they're fine. The OSL is v good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Red Herring posted:

You might look to break up the big patches of burgundy armor with a contrasting detail of some type. But technically they are very well done.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007
I'm going to coat my minis with a coat of testors glosscote and then two coats of dullcote to kill the sheen. How long do I need to wait between coats for it to dry and take hold?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

That actually is a mask :ssh:

Way to threadshit!

I had no idea that I was retarded. Now me know better.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Finished another batch of goddamn tanks for my commission. If I have to paint another Rhino chassis any time soon I may :suicide: This makes 12 for this dude and 5 of my own.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those are some nice and clean rhinos you got there.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Thank ya sir. :tipshat:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Isn't he going to be upset you only painted that one red strip?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Painted up more Steel Legion today - I really like these figures. Just detailed enough to give me something to play with, not too detailed as to frustrate me with missed gubbins:

Here's the 8 new guys with a heavy bolter from the other day:

Also if anybody's got plasma gunners, I'd love to have em! Grenade launchers just lack the punch my Guard need!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

gently caress that guy

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He wanted the front one red and the back one black and the rest grey. I told him I'd take liberties on filling in the blanks...

Also, this...

Sole.Sushi posted:

gently caress that guy

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The joke was that the grey you used is basically Sprue Grey, but I think I hosed it up.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
:doh: I thought you were referring to the pseudo space wolves color. Let's not dwell on our failures. Here, have a Necron.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Red Herring posted:

Looks great, especially the OSL (though it doesn't really make sense to me) but I think the armour highlight isn't stark enough, the over-the-top highlighting is kind of a trait of the new DE I think.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So, I bought a couple packs of D&D minis (prepainted ones) and want to paint over them. Can I prime them like normal with spraypaint or should I do something else?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

crime fighting hog posted:

So, I bought a couple packs of D&D minis (prepainted ones) and want to paint over them. Can I prime them like normal with spraypaint or should I do something else?

Having just gotten the D&D Castle Ravenloft board game that comes with a bunch of unpainted plastic miniatures, I am interested in the answer to this as well.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

I seriously doubt there's enough detail on them to be obscured by a thin coat of primer, so I'd say go right ahead. it's not like they'll burst into flames or anything (although that would be cool).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Chenghiz posted:

I seriously doubt there's enough detail on them to be obscured by a thin coat of primer, so I'd say go right ahead. it's not like they'll burst into flames or anything (although that would be cool).

Sweet, sounds good.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Klungar posted:

Having just gotten the D&D Castle Ravenloft board game that comes with a bunch of unpainted plastic miniatures, I am interested in the answer to this as well.

I can't remember if the guide was posted here or somewhere else, but you should consider dipping them.

Prime -> Base coats -> Dip in floor wax. It does the shading for you plus protects the crap out them so they don't get all crapped up in the box.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Whenever I hear people talking about pre-painted minis, I always half imagine them to be like those really crappy toys you'd get in boxes of cereal / mcdonalds happy meals / cheap asian knock off imports.

Can someone show me pics and prove to me that pre-painted minis are:

a.) not lacking in fine detail
b.) don't have wonky misplaced eyes painted on

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Prepaints are generally lovely because they are widely made for people who are much more interested in the gameplay than in the pieces. People who care seriously about the miniatures are also generally the sort of people who are going to paint them personally, so its not really a huge market base. Particularly true when you consider that the demographic is already accustomed to the concept of basically doing this job.

That isn't to say that it is impossible or anything. Rackham did a solid job with it on their AT-43 and Confrontation stuff. I was looking for pictures of these, but I am 80% sure that the official ones were actually touched up. I have some of the AT-43 and have seen the Confrontation stuff in person though, and it's on par with tabletop quality for most places I have played.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Being from the old school, unless they're made of a weirdly fragile plastic I'd say just dunk 'em in some Simple Green for a while, then scrub 'em with an old toothbrush. Give 'em a good rinse afterwards, let 'em dry, primer up and paint away. :)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lightbox testing:

I definitely need more and brighter lighting but pics are already showing some improvement I think.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Red Herring posted:

Coat the armor in heavy gloss varnish, that always looks good on dark red armor. I don't know how that would effect the OSL though.

Also I have a strange question, does anyone own the Firefly/Serenity Christmas Ornaments? Are they sufficiently detailed/painted and could you repaint them without obscuring detail? I'm mainly curious about the disguised Serenity one as I DESPERATELY want one for my Battlefleet Gothic fleet.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
If the disguised Serenity is anything like the Serenity ornament I have that has a base you can mount it on, it's WAY too big for anything BFG.

If you could give a gently caress about size, there is a lot of detail on mine and I can only imagine there being more on the disguised one. The recesses on my vanilla one seem pretty shallow and a primer coat along with more paint might indeed obscure some detail.

Edit: drat, Fyrbrand. A definite improvement. If I ever fall into a GK hole I'm going Grey.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 18, 2011

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone happen to have any water effects tutorials bookmarked?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Coat the armor in heavy gloss varnish, that always looks good on dark red armor. I don't know how that would effect the OSL though.

Also I have a strange question, does anyone own the Firefly/Serenity Christmas Ornaments? Are they sufficiently detailed/painted and could you repaint them without obscuring detail? I'm mainly curious about the disguised Serenity one as I DESPERATELY want one for my Battlefleet Gothic fleet.

I'm pretty sure my friend has multiple Firefly ornaments (he's a comic dealer). As I recall they might be a bit large but the detail is quite good. I'll ask about them next time I see him.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Ape-X from Reaper:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

That blue is awesome.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Anyone happen to have any water effects tutorials bookmarked?

What are you trying to do? Is it sexy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

What are you trying to do? Is it sexy?

Well I'd like to think so, but it will probably end in hilarious failure. It's for one of my terrain pieces for this month.

• Locked thread