Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I swear the universe doesn't want me to have a PSP Go. Over the holidays retailers had the LBP/SOCOM/Ratchet & Clank bundle for $149.99 CAD. (including one Sunday night) I pay off my Xmas bills and go to buy one only to find prices back up to $199.99 across the board with no bundled games at all. :suicide:

Hopefully this is a sign they're bringing a new bundle out like the UK ten free games one or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The PSP2 will probably be like the middle ground between the PS2 and the PS3 for graphics power, and near the end of its life cycle it'll start getting stuff that's close to if not better than the PS3's, just like with the PSP1.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

helopticor posted:

Does that mean it's going to cost $600 too?

Great, another console I can buy for $666.01!

Man, I lucked out on sales tax.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

iastudent posted:

Finally got around to trying the Lord of Arcana demo. I enjoyed it, but I'm still unsure what support it'll have for multiplayer. The Japanese version supposedly was ad-hoc.

Upon further research, it's ad-hoc only. That's a pity, although you can probably work around that with Xlink or PS3 Ad-Hoc Party.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

sentrygun posted:

The problem with the PSP phone as I've heard it is that it'd either have to be pretty powerful to actually play PSP games or else it's just going to be for minis and videos, thus making it another n-gage style gimmick.

Also, :laffo: at "as powerful as a PS3". The only thing I can think of is that they're tossing a cell or something in there to hike up the price and end up not being terribly impressive. If it does end up being practically a portable PS2.5 though count my rear end in.

The way i've heard it, although as with everything it could be wrong, is that it can be as powerful as a ps3 in the sense it can do ps3 games but only has to display them in a tiny res compared to the ps3 which has to do 1080p etc, so this requires less power but results in games looking as nice as a ps3 but on a portable scale.

Not sure if that makes sense but it has a sort of logic to it.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Pretty certain Sony knows they have me by the balls and I'll buy it as long as it doesn't sprout limbs and try to kill my family.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If PSP2 fully supports my downloaded PSP1 games then I'll have no trouble jumping in.

Know what would be a sweet idea? Allowing the PSP2's supposed second analog stick to have the same functions as the D-Pad, it would make playing a ton of games that used D-Pad camera control a world easier.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'd like it if it were mappable like with the PS1 games. There are a few games I'd like to have the analog stick be on the right for.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
So I haven't played either of the Prinny games yet, but I saw Prinny 2 just dropped and I'm in the mood for a good/hard platformer. Is there any reason to start with the first one or should I just get the second one immediately?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

So I haven't played either of the Prinny games yet, but I saw Prinny 2 just dropped and I'm in the mood for a good/hard platformer. Is there any reason to start with the first one or should I just get the second one immediately?
The review I read said it had all the same bizarre control issues that the first did, I played the demo for the first and it was no fun. I mean, among other things, can you imagine a modern side-scroller where you can't run?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

The review I read said it had all the same bizarre control issues that the first did, I played the demo for the first and it was no fun. I mean, among other things, can you imagine a modern side-scroller where you can't run?

/shrug

I have plenty of modern side-scrollers. I thought something old-school could be fun for a change. I didn't realize there was a demo, though, so thanks for the heads-up. That should give me all the answers I need.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, among other things, can you imagine a modern side-scroller where you can't run?

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins? Or is that too old now?

For the record, I enjoyed the first Prinny game, because it reminded me of a GnG game. I sure do enjoy those difficult platformers.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Samurai Sanders posted:

You could run in the first Prinny game, you just had to charge it up.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Hey guys, I got a PSP 1000 years ago (when it first came out), but barely used it. I had a bunch of crappy games, and a GTA game, so naturally it left a sour taste in my mouth (Coded Arms was just... ugh). However, I just got a PS3 and was looking over the PSP games and saw a few I'd actually like (such as KZ: Liberation).

My question is, anyone here have a PSP Go that can give me an honest review of it? I've asked other sites but people just told me "I don't have one BUT..." and would tell me rehashed things they read in reviews or something. I just want a portable gaming system, nothing fancy. PSP 1000 is HUGE so I figure PSP Go is the best choice..

So yeah, thoughts?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Samurai Sanders posted:

Megaman games?

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

Ziji posted:

Hey guys, I got a PSP 1000 years ago (when it first came out), but barely used it. I had a bunch of crappy games, and a GTA game, so naturally it left a sour taste in my mouth (Coded Arms was just... ugh). However, I just got a PS3 and was looking over the PSP games and saw a few I'd actually like (such as KZ: Liberation).

My question is, anyone here have a PSP Go that can give me an honest review of it? I've asked other sites but people just told me "I don't have one BUT..." and would tell me rehashed things they read in reviews or something. I just want a portable gaming system, nothing fancy. PSP 1000 is HUGE so I figure PSP Go is the best choice..

So yeah, thoughts?

I love my Go. It's really light and easier for me to hold. I like the feel of the analog stick and the buttons on the Go better too. I actually bring the Go around with me since it's so small, as opposed to my PSP slim that almost always stays at home. The hardware overall is great. The major downside is you're limited to games on PSN as opposed to everything you can get on UMD. Used UMDs are also probably cheaper than the prices on PSN too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

helopticor posted:

Megaman games?
That's not a problem like in the Prinny game since Megaman's movement speed (and Arthur's for that matter) is already plenty fast. I admit that I didn't know you could dash in the Prinny game though. Still I'm not alone in thinking that its controls are crap, it says so in most of the reviews.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ziji posted:

So yeah, thoughts?
I pimp the Go in these threads over and over.

I bought one near release, and while decent, it was a disappointment because the PSN store pricing sucked. Since then, they've had outstanding deals, sales and price-drops. I have far more than I can ever hope to play at discounted prices.

Regarding the hardware:

-whereas the controls are somewhat more cramped, I find they're not at all straining like the 1000 controls were solely because the thing is so much lighter

-it's insanely tiny and portable

-the battery doesn't seem to be as good as my 1000 was, however it still gets me through several days of long commutes

-the accessories add up, but I like having a dock + component cables and my old PS3 sixaxis controller. I occasionally play on my 24" Dell monitor with the PS3 controller. It's nice being able to toss the device into the dock whenever I notice battery getting low.

-the Go has a unique feature where you can save a state in one game. You can stop a game at any point and then switch to music or videos or whatever, or just play a different game. You can only have one of these saves between all your games, but it's invaluable.

-no Lumines though it sounds like you could at least pirate it now if you must.

-I haven't touched my CFW 1000 ever since getting the Go. I find the convenience of the form factor more than makes up for not being able to play UMDs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I like the Go a lot but it really lives or dies based on your taste in games and the PSN's ability to cater to that taste. A lot of new games get PSN releases but there's a ton of the back catalog that's either not available in North America or on the PSN period.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What's missing that you'd want besides Lumines and the Kingdom Hearts game?

I'm personally waiting for a price drop on the Wipeouts, but I suspect they're forgotten.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

What's missing that you'd want besides Lumines and the Kingdom Hearts game?

I'm personally waiting for a price drop on the Wipeouts, but I suspect they're forgotten.

Just looking in my UMD collection: Crisis Core, FFT: War of the Lions, Sid Meier's Pirates! (euro only), Metal Gear AC!D, and about 6/7 Gundam+Macross games. Another Century's Episode Portable didn't get a PSN release in Japan either, and Shadow of Destiny (although its in English) only got a Japanese PSN release.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Thanks for the input, looks like I'll save up for a Go and some accessories.

I'm not a fan of JRPGs so a lot of what people complain about the Go not being able to play.. I flat out don't care about.

I'm mostly interested in KZ: Liberation and LBP, but there's a few others on PSN I might look at as well.

Thanks!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Ziji posted:

Thanks for the input, looks like I'll save up for a Go and some accessories.

I'm not a fan of JRPGs so a lot of what people complain about the Go not being able to play.. I flat out don't care about.

I'm mostly interested in KZ: Liberation and LBP, but there's a few others on PSN I might look at as well.

Thanks!

peace walker is *the most amazing game out on the PSP*. Valkyria chronicles is great too, I thiiink both of them have demos.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

redreader posted:

peace walker is *the most amazing game out on the PSP*. Valkyria chronicles is great too, I thiiink both of them have demos.

Heard a lot of good things about both, will be sure to check them both out.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Can I use a ps3 controller on the PSP3000?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

To anyone else that's tried out the Lord of Arcana demo, how the hell do you get Angi's fiery right arm to drop? I've been trying to concentrate my attacks on it but you can't target it separately from his main body and I need it in order to build a new great sword.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's not a problem like in the Prinny game since Megaman's movement speed (and Arthur's for that matter) is already plenty fast. I admit that I didn't know you could dash in the Prinny game though. Still I'm not alone in thinking that its controls are crap, it says so in most of the reviews.

Dunno, Prinny really does move fast enough. I never had to dash, walking was just fine to avoid pretty much anything.

And the controls (or rather, fixed jump direction, cause that's all anyone ever complains about) are really good, because the game is specifically built around them and can offer far more and clever challenge that way. There's always the double jump if you want to change directions. You can make precise landing by just double-jumping vertically. People compaining about that are just too trigger happy and mash the jump button all the time and go out of control.
You only learn to really appreciate it when you've played the game for a while, though. I'm a fan of the control scheme by now, though (if the game is built to accomodate it, which Prinny is).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

/shrug

I have plenty of modern side-scrollers. I thought something old-school could be fun for a change. I didn't realize there was a demo, though, so thanks for the heads-up. That should give me all the answers I need.

I think he's talking about the Japanese PSN's demo, there isn't one for the US PSN. The first game's pretty much one of my favorite platformers ever, but I guess it's not for everyone, even if I thought it was less brutal than most other oldschool games I've played. It's only $10 though and has a lot more effort and much less sadistic unfair game design than the second game though, so it's not like you're gonna get burned it it turns out you don't like it.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Oh jesus christ I seriously missed the start of a Prinny discussion?

Okay, the Prinny games are pretty much masocore. If you like games to be easy enough that you can blast through them without any pressure, then these are bad games for you. If you love punishment or an intense challenge, then read on.

The Prinny games are built to be very hard and to force you to manipulate the control scheme. For everyone that says the movement is primitive or hard, it's because there are very hard mechanics to your control and it forces you to really think about what you're doing. The lives system really adds a level of pressure to the game, but as long as you're decently skilled at platformers, it won't be a problem. You get 1000 lives in both games and I finished the first Prinny with 600 lives to spare. The second one is actually a bit easier compared to the first, though it's mostly due to a little more polish and a little more option in difficulty. As far as getting the first one as well at this point, it's kind of hard to say. There will definitely be plenty of replay value for you in the second, so you should probably be fine just getting that. If you manage to do everything in Prinny 2 and still demand more while being okay with a bit of a step back in polish, then I'd say go ahead and get Prinny 1 later on.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just finished Jeanne D'Arc and I gotta say I'm somewhat disappointed by it. It starts off with such potential but neither the gameplay nor the polish is there. For a tactical game, it doesn't really have much depth. Attack, attack, chain transformation. You never have to vary your approach. They recommend you equip the character's "preferred" weapon but they can't actually equip other types of weapons. There aren't many spells or equipment and the stage designs are one-dimensional. There's also very little incentive to use healing spells when items are dirt cheap and give higher returns even at end-game.

What was more painful was the writing. Jeanne spends most of her time going WHYYYYYYYY at the villains, the supporting cast never have anything interesting to say and there's an odd love story that isn't developed or resolved. The voice-acting, especially at the end of the game, is painful to listen to. A big part of it is due to the poor translation but I guess most games struggle when FF: Tactics set the benchmark.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

SixOhSix posted:

Oh jesus christ I seriously missed the start of a Prinny discussion?

Okay, the Prinny games are pretty much masocore. If you like games to be easy enough that you can blast through them without any pressure, then these are bad games for you. If you love punishment or an intense challenge, then read on.

The Prinny games are built to be very hard and to force you to manipulate the control scheme. For everyone that says the movement is primitive or hard, it's because there are very hard mechanics to your control and it forces you to really think about what you're doing. The lives system really adds a level of pressure to the game, but as long as you're decently skilled at platformers, it won't be a problem. You get 1000 lives in both games and I finished the first Prinny with 600 lives to spare. The second one is actually a bit easier compared to the first, though it's mostly due to a little more polish and a little more option in difficulty. As far as getting the first one as well at this point, it's kind of hard to say. There will definitely be plenty of replay value for you in the second, so you should probably be fine just getting that. If you manage to do everything in Prinny 2 and still demand more while being okay with a bit of a step back in polish, then I'd say go ahead and get Prinny 1 later on.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. In this age of mass steam sales and constant releases, I hardly ever get time to finish a game, so it sounds like Prinny 2 is the way to go.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

40 OZ posted:

Can I use a ps3 controller on the PSP3000?

You can't. The go has bluetooth, which the 3000 doesn't, and you can't even use CFW to use one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

Dunno, Prinny really does move fast enough. I never had to dash, walking was just fine to avoid pretty much anything.

And the controls (or rather, fixed jump direction, cause that's all anyone ever complains about) are really good, because the game is specifically built around them and can offer far more and clever challenge that way. There's always the double jump if you want to change directions. You can make precise landing by just double-jumping vertically. People compaining about that are just too trigger happy and mash the jump button all the time and go out of control.
You only learn to really appreciate it when you've played the game for a while, though. I'm a fan of the control scheme by now, though (if the game is built to accomodate it, which Prinny is).
Well, I know it isn't the game for me though because I have a strong, STRONG thing against deliberately limiting the controls of a game in order to increase difficulty, going all the way back to the early Resident Evil games. They just aren't games that I enjoy at all.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Vegetable posted:

I just finished Jeanne D'Arc and I gotta say I'm somewhat disappointed by it. It starts off with such potential but neither the gameplay nor the polish is there. For a tactical game, it doesn't really have much depth. Attack, attack, chain transformation. You never have to vary your approach. They recommend you equip the character's "preferred" weapon but they can't actually equip other types of weapons. There aren't many spells or equipment and the stage designs are one-dimensional. There's also very little incentive to use healing spells when items are dirt cheap and give higher returns even at end-game.

What was more painful was the writing. Jeanne spends most of her time going WHYYYYYYYY at the villains, the supporting cast never have anything interesting to say and there's an odd love story that isn't developed or resolved. The voice-acting, especially at the end of the game, is painful to listen to. A big part of it is due to the poor translation but I guess most games struggle when FF: Tactics set the benchmark.

You are seriously the first person I have ever read not like that game. It was underground hyped like crazy. I never purchased it because I read somewhere that you have turn limits every level and that made me pass big-time. If I want to run around and beat the poo poo out the thing I am healing in a gang bang that is between me and electron god. Story though is what most people praised. Weird. I may pick it up cheap someday, doubt I will like it though. Atleast nowhere near FM3 I can't put that down.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ganash posted:

You are seriously the first person I have ever read not like that game. It was underground hyped like crazy. I never purchased it because I read somewhere that you have turn limits every level and that made me pass big-time. If I want to run around and beat the poo poo out the thing I am healing in a gang bang that is between me and electron god. Story though is what most people praised. Weird. I may pick it up cheap someday, doubt I will like it though. Atleast nowhere near FM3 I can't put that down.
I thought I'd like the game too since I made it through 1/4 of the game last year and actually loved it. But the storyline is really quite absurd. On hindsight I don't think even a decent translator could have rescued it. There's one boss who appears in something like six stages. Every stage you're required to kill him but he'll keep popping up in later stages. He literally gets backstabbed in one stage. You assume he's left for dead but he comes back in later stages looking like nothing's happened. It's almost like they were too lazy to create new bosses.

The turn limits isn't a problem later in the game. You get an extra turn every time you kill an enemy in your transformed form. You get the hang of that, missions will end before you even approach the turn limit. In early game it's definitely a bitch though. It's pretty easy to lose in one of the first few stages because you reached the turn limit. Makes you look at the main character and wonder if we're really in a loving rush to saaaaave Fraaaaaaaance.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Came to ask about Jeanne DArc, and look what I see.

Actually, my real concern is in mission variety. Am I going to be staring at "Annihilate All Enemies" for every single mission but a handful, or do most maps offer unique objectives? I have realized lately that as much as I hate things like escort quests or forced stealth, I always have a much more pleasant and memorable experience with games that focus more on the challenges instead of the mechanics. If Jeanne DArc has solid gameplay, but it is just the same basic mission over and over again I think I am going to look for other psp games.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Kiggles posted:

Actually, my real concern is in mission variety. Am I going to be staring at "Annihilate All Enemies" for every single mission but a handful, or do most maps offer unique objectives? I have realized lately that as much as I hate things like escort quests or forced stealth, I always have a much more pleasant and memorable experience with games that focus more on the challenges instead of the mechanics. If Jeanne DArc has solid gameplay, but it is just the same basic mission over and over again I think I am going to look for other psp games.

There are escort missions, missions where you have to escape, missions where you kill a ton of bosses, missions where you lose some of your skills, missions where you have to put up ladders, missions where you hit switches, missions that make you choose which missions to do which determine what characters you wind up with, missions where you protect things, pan fried missions, pineapple missions, mission soup, mission stew, missions and potatoes, coconut missions, missions where you can't use some of your characters, missions where you use all of your characters, missions where you jump about on rooftops, missions where you fight bigass monsters, missions where you herd dragons into cages.

And an escort mission which took me for-loving-ever to beat. I thought it was a very good game and I like the story and all the characters and stuff!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

frogg posted:

There are escort missions[...]

And an escort mission which took me for-loving-ever to beat.[...]

Well gently caress.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kiggles posted:

There's one mission where you can use ladders though you could just as well destroy the gate. There are one or two where you have to stop enemies from reaching a set of squares. There is one escort mission which is kinda interesting to see how the AI thinks. You'll occasionally start a stage with your party at different corners of the map. The storyline doesn't explain gently caress all why this happens but it's a fresh experience I guess. You have to decide what's the best combination of characters for a certain three squares and such.

But most of the missions fall between "Kill all enemies" and "Kill [boss]". The exceptions are very, very rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Mithaldu posted:

Well gently caress.

Hah, well to be fair I was woefully underleveled the whole game without realizing it and it probably would have been easier had I done an optional mission or two. :v: Although it did make for some satisfying close calls, things like beating bosses on the last turn on my last character with an item I'd been holding onto forever.

• Locked thread