Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Say, does anyone have any art inspired by the Protomen? I'm curious about what their interpretations of the Megaman crew would look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Orcasword posted:

The retro roto figures are the only thing Jazwares has done well, their regular figures are just loving awful. (and the joints make no sense either when you move them)

I think the retro roto figures are the only good Jazwares figures because they are more or less static figures, with a few swivel joints here and there. Jazwares has no loving clue how to make an actual figure. Or even how human anatomy works. Joints don't move like that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think the retro roto figures are the only good Jazwares figures because they are more or less static figures, with a few swivel joints here and there. Jazwares has no loving clue how to make an actual figure. Or even how human anatomy works. Joints don't move like that.

Well, to be fair, Megaman characters have some really funky anatomy and their joints look a little wonky.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They're robots, they can move their joints however the hell they want. :colbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, here's a fun seasonal fangame on Newgrounds.

Megaman's Cristmas Carol, a game pitting Megaman against the four sprits of Christmas (the three plus Marley) and someone who's obviously not Wiley in a Santa outfit.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Megaman's Cristmas Carol, a game pitting Megaman against the four sprits of Christmas (the three plus Marley) and someone who's obviously not Wiley in a Santa outfit.
Two buttons and he gets them in the wrong order? What is this the GameCube version :argh:

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.
Small update on Mega Man 2.5D that first started as just an animation video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZF3DCCqc84

In one of the comments, the creator mentioned that they took out the more dynamic angles to concentrate on making the co-op mode to work.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

He took out the z-axis movement, since nobody was excited for it and it didnt make too much sense gameplay wise.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Orcasword posted:

Bandai:

Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
I've wanted a MegaMan X figure that looked THIS good since I was 5 and Bandai is finally (hopefully) realizing that dream. From what I've heard there's a strong possability it's going to get made. But the best part? They're considering doing a Zero too. :dance:

I want to develop a time travel machine just I can mysteriously leave this toy with kid-me. Finally, X and Optimus Prime can have the teamup I always dreamed of!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I want to develop a time travel machine just I can mysteriously leave this toy with kid-me. Finally, X and Optimus Prime can have the teamup I always dreamed of!

No good. X would kill him and take his power. But it'd be worth it to have a transforming Megaman X who can combine with a variety of allies.

Wait. Why isn't that a game? And I ain't talking about half-assed poo poo like the Rush suits or Battle Network's form changes/soul crosses/cross fusions/etc.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Screaming Idiot posted:

No good. X would kill him and take his power. But it'd be worth it to have a transforming Megaman X who can combine with a variety of allies.

Wait. Why isn't that a game? And I ain't talking about half-assed poo poo like the Rush suits or Battle Network's form changes/soul crosses/cross fusions/etc.

You might be pleasantly surprised by Mega Man ZX Advent then.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Screaming Idiot posted:

Megaman ZX: exactly what you're talking about

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just finished it there, you get the Konami code for beating it, but bugger if I know what it actually does, it doesn't seem like Hard Mode.

Edit: No, wait, it gives you all the weapons from the off, that's what it does.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 27, 2010

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Edoraz posted:

You might be pleasantly surprised by Mega Man ZX Advent then.

That's just bog-standard transformation like Battle Network's. :mad:

Also, the MMZ series makes everyone look like creepy children.

EDIT: ...he says with an even creepier gender-changed Lan avatar. God drat you, Epee Em MMBN LP! :argh:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Heh.

And the ZX Model itself is a fusion of X and Zero (what they always wanted HAHA GAY) so there.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Heh.

And the ZX Model itself is a fusion of X and Zero (what they always wanted HAHA GAY) so there.

The funny thing is, I barelly see any X in the Model ZX design, it's like 98% Zero. Makes sense though considering how much spotlight Capcom gave Zero and never X over the years.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
After digging up my very old and unplayed GC copy of MMX Collection, I'm thinking about playing through the X series up to 5 and then going to the MMZ Collection for the DS. The Gamecube controls aren't as bad as I thought, but that button layout still isn't too kind to 2D platformers.

Why is ZX in print but not ZX Advent? Did the sales drop between entries or something?

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

After digging up my very old and unplayed GC copy of MMX Collection, I'm thinking about playing through the X series up to 5 and then going to the MMZ Collection for the DS. The Gamecube controls aren't as bad as I thought, but that button layout still isn't too kind to 2D platformers.

Why is ZX in print but not ZX Advent? Did the sales drop between entries or something?

Don't think anyone really bought Advent. It was a pretty goofy game overall.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Aw, I was beaten about the new X figure. I've seen it up for preorder on some websites for 40 freaking dollars. That's just obscene.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Orcasword posted:

Don't think anyone really bought Advent. It was a pretty goofy game overall.
I will definitely get it because ZX is fantastic. Still have to actually BEAT it, because goddamn the last stage is unreasonable. I'm not missing things, right? There are no health pickups between boss refights?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked ZX a lot but never bothered finishing the sequel for some reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Worked my way up to X5 in the MMX Collection. I'm not playing X6.

I played all the X games up to number 4 like mad when I was younger, even though I was pretty terrible at them (I don't think I ever beat Sigma in the first game without the Hadoken and never beat him at all with X in X4). Looking at them now, if I had to rank them from best to worst I'd probably go X4 - X - X5 - X2 - X3, though the gaps in quality between games would be pretty minuscule.

X got a ton right on its first go-round, with great music, good level design, bosses that were challenging but not cheap, and additional powers that were actually useful instead of being a new decal on the X-Buster. X4 did all that, too, but threw in another character who managed to redefine the game without necessitating any change in the levels themselves. Zero was harder to play than X, since he couldn't stunlock the bosses with their weak points like X could, but I never ran up against an obstacle or enemy that seemed near-impossible without X. That and Zero went through Sigma like a hot knife through thin ice, which was neat. The cutscenes have aged horribly, but at least they're easily skippable.

X5's solid, too, but they threw in a lot of extra stuff and not all of it works. The timer and rank system is neat but feels unnecessarily constraining (especially since the game tells you flat-out which order to engage the first four bosses in), the upgrade system is more or less useless, and Headset Girl is the most annoying mission command I've had to put up with since Fuuka. So many text screens. At least the text doesn't look like it was translated by the company's custodian this time around.

X2 and X3 were were also good platformers, and X2 had some great level design, but they both fall short of the original in most other respects (especially with the abilities, which are nearly all inferior to the Buster outside of killing the right boss or getting the right powerup). X3 in particular had too much going on with useless collectibles, and Zero's addition felt like a stripped-down gimmick. And maybe I'm still a little bitter about Neo-Serge from X2 and Sigma from X3. Those bosses were bullshiiiit.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

And maybe I'm still a little bitter about Neo-Serge from X2 and Sigma from X3. Those bosses were bullshiiiit.

Sub Tanks are your friends.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Neo-Serges

Fun fact: you can destroy all the cannons at once using the armor's Giga attack (the fullscreen thing). If you do this at the beginning of the battle (why wouldn't you?), he will only move forward a couple times leaving you with three platforms instead of two.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Inferior Third Season posted:

:toot:

gently caress getting 100% in MM10, though. Beating the Hard bosses flawlessly with only the mega buster? Jesus Christ.

Wow. Now be honest, did you do it on Easy mode?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiffo posted:

Fun fact: you can destroy all the cannons at once using the armor's Giga attack (the fullscreen thing). If you do this at the beginning of the battle (why wouldn't you?), he will only move forward a couple times leaving you with three platforms instead of two.

Yeah, I knew that back when I played the game a decade ago, so it's what I did. Then he knocked me onto some spikes.

It's still a boss you have to fight on three (at most) teeny moving platforms while shooting at a weak point the size of a pinhead. That's the sort of bullshit I'd expect from Sigma and no one else.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I knew that back when I played the game a decade ago, so it's what I did. Then he knocked me onto some spikes.

It's still a boss you have to fight on three (at most) teeny moving platforms while shooting at a weak point the size of a pinhead. That's the sort of bullshit I'd expect from Sigma and no one else.

Yeah he's definitely bullshit and I always have to eat at least one subtank to beat him. Spikes aren't as much of a problem most of the time because of the (merciful) temporary invincibility when you get knocked down. It's even worse if you don't know about the armor thing and actually have to fight through the outer cannons only to be stick with two platforms.

edit: even worse, his weakness (the ostrich's cutter weapon) has an awful delay between when you fire and when it actually moves forwards so it's nearly impossible to hit him with it and of course he has the ceiling above him making it nearly impossible to hit him with the charged version. The wiki says to use the charged version standing below him but then you have to deal with him bumping into you anyway. Why couldn't they give you the shoryuken one level earlier??

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 20, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The one thing I don't like about the X Collection is that they used the Sega Saturn (?) version of the game instead of the SNES. All for 30 seconds of lovely FMV with no voice acting. The SNES version had some of that system's best music :(

VV EDIT: My point is that it was lovely with or without voice acting.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 21, 2011

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

C-Euro posted:

The one thing I don't like about the X Collection is that they used the Sega Saturn (?) version of the game instead of the SNES. All for 30 seconds of lovely FMV with no voice acting. The SNES version had some of that system's best music :(

Hey, after X4 and MM8, you should thank the Lord there isn't any voice acting.

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR :byodood:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hey, after X4 and MM8, you should thank the Lord there isn't any voice acting.

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR :byodood:

There was nothing wrong with the voice acting in X8 or MHX, unless you have a hatred for standard anime voices.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
JUSDIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZELLOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I just discovered that the boss music for the last form of X6 sigma is a slightly remixed version of the Sigma theme from X1.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 21, 2011

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TaurusOxford posted:

There was nothing wrong with the voice acting in X8 or MHX, unless you have a hatred for standard anime voices.

Everyone should have a hatred for standard anime voices.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a good thing I didn't mention X8 or MHX then!!!

EDIT: Also, X7/8 Zero's voice actor is a cool guy and I wish I could hang out with him. He's one of the few voice actors I can think of that really enjoy their roles. To me, that guy is Zero.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
So, uh.

At Magfest this past week, I stumbled into a room where they were showing a fan-made live action Mega Man movie.

This one.

It was, unsurprisingly, astoundingly bad.

You guys have to watch it.

Walorski
Feb 21, 2004
I'm Polish
I was too sober to watch any more than the first 11 minutes of that god drat movie.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I actually liked the CD music better, except for the poor looping which is still a problem.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

KevinCow posted:

So, uh.

At Magfest this past week, I stumbled into a room where they were showing a fan-made live action Mega Man movie.

This one.

It was, unsurprisingly, astoundingly bad.

You guys have to watch it.

I think I have. I'm not sure if I got all the way through it, but I'm not willing to watch it again to find out. Same guy is going to make a Sonic movie. Yay?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think I have. I'm not sure if I got all the way through it, but I'm not willing to watch it again to find out. Same guy is going to make a Sonic movie. Yay?

How... how will that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Screaming Idiot posted:

How... how will that work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCIUfek7y2M