Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I just started out with this whole rooting thing on my Incredible with Cynogen 6.1, and so far it's pretty awesome. However, the visual voicemail app is gone, and if I download it from the market it says there's a native app already installed and tried to uninstall itself.

Is there any way to get that sucker on there? I use Google Voice for my work, and can't use it for replacing vmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

soru posted:

The absolute best feature of CM7 is the new screen on/off animations. Hands down.
Can't seem to find a video of it. Is it the "mimic an old TV turning off by reducing everything to a line then a point" thing?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Can't seem to find a video of it. Is it the "mimic an old TV turning off by reducing everything to a line then a point" thing?

Yeah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLuuqqT7m10

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

DkHelmet posted:

I just started out with this whole rooting thing on my Incredible with Cynogen 6.1, and so far it's pretty awesome. However, the visual voicemail app is gone, and if I download it from the market it says there's a native app already installed and tried to uninstall itself.

Is there any way to get that sucker on there? I use Google Voice for my work, and can't use it for replacing vmm.

Grab one of the Incredible roms off XDA and pull vvm.apk from the zip then push it to /system/app with adb.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

is a pile of poo poo. Phone in *#*#3214789650#*#* and do the following:

[.. Normal Stuff ..]

Then get EclipSim's "GPS Status & Toolbox" off the Market, and go into Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Reset.

Enjoy getting 7-point fixes in EMI hotboxes indoors.

Holy poo poo, resetting the A-GPS and letting it download a fresh file just improved GPS from getting a lovely signal to maybe 3-5 birds and see a flat line for the others in the sky, to actually getting a measurable signal to every one it sees in the sky (getting the lock is still hit-or-miss).

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Ashex posted:

Grab one of the Incredible roms off XDA and pull vvm.apk from the zip then push it to /system/app with adb.

Negative. It shows up in Manage Applications and Titanium Backup, but there's no icon available. I can't be the only one to lament the fact that there's no visual voicemail on the Incredible with Cyanogen? What do other people use?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

DkHelmet posted:

Negative. It shows up in Manage Applications and Titanium Backup, but there's no icon available. I can't be the only one to lament the fact that there's no visual voicemail on the Incredible with Cyanogen? What do other people use?

If this thread is anything to judge, 90% use gvoice.. So since that's not an option, not sure.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

DkHelmet posted:

It may have just been a stub that Titanium backed up, make sure it's not frozen in Titanium.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Ashex posted:

It may have just been a stub that Titanium backed up, make sure it's not frozen in Titanium.

No, I pulled the VMM.apk from Virtuous and dropped it in /system/app with a rw'd partition. It's in there, just not running.

Maybe it's something depending on Sense?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

That's rather strange, what homescreen are you using? Try installing another like Launcher Pro to see if it shows up in that app drawer.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

DkHelmet posted:

No, I pulled the VMM.apk from Virtuous and dropped it in /system/app with a rw'd partition. It's in there, just not running.

Maybe it's something depending on Sense?

The permissions might be wrong. I forget exactly what they should be (rw-r--r-- maybe?), but if you just match them up with the other apps in that directory and reboot, you should be good.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Something in the past few days has made the battery life of my EVO (running Fresh 3.5) absolutely abysmal. I'm talking maybe 4 hours total after a full charge and very light usage. Here's my battery usage thingy:

Click here for the full 480x800 image.

I'm running kernel version 2.6.32.17-gee557fd, htc-kernel@and18-2 #15

What could the problem be?

Edit: This is even with all account syncing off, no 4g, no GPS, etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't followed the thread recently, but in case no one posted it happy days for new Evo owners are here, unrevoked works again.

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/01/unrevoked-33-roots-htc-evo-with-latest-software-update-3706511-and-hboot-331-fixes-bugs.html

Edit: Running the latest Stable Cyanogen again, and when I try and download an app it says "sorry you don't have enough memory." Suggestions?

Edit 2: i think i fixed it my clearing cache

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 14, 2011

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Holy poo poo, resetting the A-GPS and letting it download a fresh file just improved GPS from getting a lovely signal to maybe 3-5 birds and see a flat line for the others in the sky, to actually getting a measurable signal to every one it sees in the sky (getting the lock is still hit-or-miss).

This was helpful, as was the hardware fix for Vibrant (bending the clip).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't followed the thread recently, but in case no one posted it happy days for new Evo owners are here, unrevoked works again.

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/01/unrevoked-33-roots-htc-evo-with-latest-software-update-3706511-and-hboot-331-fixes-bugs.html

Edit: Running the latest Stable Cyanogen again, and when I try and download an app it says "sorry you don't have enough memory." Suggestions?

Edit 2: i think i fixed it my clearing cache

Cyanogen 6.1.2 is such old news.

EVO + Cyanogen + WiMAX is where it's at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

Yes, there was already an Alpha, this is Alpha 2 and most of the annoying bugs, like having to turn the screen off to trigger the 4G connect or rebooting to reconnect to 4G, have been resolved.

Only hanging issues:
After turning off Wifi you have to manually toggle 3G back on
Google Goggles doesn't work because their custom kernel doesn't have IPv6 support (weird, but Google's help page confirms that a custom kernel without this will have this issue.)
If you disable 4G, you have to wait 1 minute before you can re-enable it, which is hardly an issue.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Penguissimo posted:

The permissions might be wrong. I forget exactly what they should be (rw-r--r-- maybe?), but if you just match them up with the other apps in that directory and reboot, you should be good.

I'm actually having the same exact issue as Dkhelmet. How would I go about checking permissions?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Rye Bread posted:

I'm actually having the same exact issue as Dkhelmet. How would I go about checking permissions?

Open and adb shell or a local connection in ConnectBot and run:

code:
ls -l /system/app/VMM.apk

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Is there another way to fix apps missing from the market other then market doctor in Titanium?

I debranded my Desire Z last night and restored all my apps via Titanium Backup. I was looking today and almost all the apps were missing, I ran the market doctor which found a fix for 9 of them and I applied the fix but I'm still missing about 30 more.

I've tried clearing data on the Market app then rebooting and launching again with no change.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Cyanogen 6.1.2 is such old news.

EVO + Cyanogen + WiMAX is where it's at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

Yes, there was already an Alpha, this is Alpha 2 and most of the annoying bugs, like having to turn the screen off to trigger the 4G connect or rebooting to reconnect to 4G, have been resolved.

Only hanging issues:
After turning off Wifi you have to manually toggle 3G back on
Google Goggles doesn't work because their custom kernel doesn't have IPv6 support (weird, but Google's help page confirms that a custom kernel without this will have this issue.)
If you disable 4G, you have to wait 1 minute before you can re-enable it, which is hardly an issue.

Awesome. I didn't touch it yet because it said alpha, and i am exchanging my Evo in a day or two because the headphone jack is hosed (refurb warranty replacement). When I get my new Evo in, am I able to use unrevoked and keep the 4G code? And I'm guessing once rooted I'll need to flash with Amon_RA.

Edit: and reading through this is looks loving awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 14, 2011

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Penguissimo posted:

Yup, 644 is right. I did get it working, however:

Remount /system to rw, edit /system/build.props and comment out the "ro.HorizontalVVM = true" line, reboot, and install the Verizon Visual Voicemail app from the market. Works great.

Booyah.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Awesome. I didn't touch it yet because it said alpha, and i am exchanging my Evo in a day or two because the headphone jack is hosed (refurb warranty replacement). When I get my new Evo in, am I able to use unrevoked and keep the 4G code? And I'm guessing once rooted I'll need to flash with Amon_RA.

Edit: and reading through this is looks loving awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

It is awesome. It's stable enough to run as a daily ROM and the 4G works perfectly for me. I'm getting anywhere between 5000 and 9000 kbps down and pretty steadily 1000 up. Same or better than when on Sense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tigren posted:

It is awesome. It's stable enough to run as a daily ROM and the 4G works perfectly for me. I'm getting anywhere between 5000 and 9000 kbps down and pretty steadily 1000 up. Same or better than when on Sense.

Nice. I just flashed it, pretty sure 4G is working. Just really really weird getting internet speeds with no icon up top!

Edit: I take it beyond the icon the only other "bug" just seems to be it takes a while to turn WiMax off and on? And the SwitchPro 4G widget doesn't seem to work. Oh well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 14, 2011

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Any Desire Z users can now get Arabic shaping! This makes me incredible happy as way back when I had my N1 the only reason I rooted and flashed CM was to get Arabic shaping and RTL so being able to get that in the Stock rom makes me very happy.

check it out.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ashex posted:

Any Desire Z users can now get Arabic shaping! This makes me incredible happy as way back when I had my N1 the only reason I rooted and flashed CM was to get Arabic shaping and RTL so being able to get that in the Stock rom makes me very happy.

check it out.

Does it have a standard Arabic keyboard or just the Farsi one?

FFS, I wish the Android team would get their act together on this.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

quadratic posted:

Does it have a standard Arabic keyboard or just the Farsi one?

FFS, I wish the Android team would get their act together on this.

This doesn't add a keyboard or locale. I would love to have a translation but that's not happening for awhile. CM has an incomplete translation, I'm curious if someone can figure out how to extract the arabic translation/localization on the i9000 so everyone else can have it.

I just took a look in the market and Smart Keyboard looks to be a worthy candidate for a keyboard, install the Arabic dictionary and it works fairly well.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ashex posted:

This doesn't add a keyboard or locale. I would love to have a translation but that's not happening for awhile. CM has an incomplete translation, I'm curious if someone can figure out how to extract the arabic translation/localization on the i9000 so everyone else can have it.

I just took a look in the market and Smart Keyboard looks to be a worthy candidate for a keyboard, install the Arabic dictionary and it works fairly well.

Oh, sorry, that screenshot in the xda thread threw me off.

I had tried getting the Arabic support in Samsung's localized ROMs to work on my Vibrant, but didn't get very far. I may have to try again when I have some time.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

quadratic posted:

I had tried getting the Arabic support in Samsung's localized ROMs to work on my Vibrant, but didn't get very far. I may have to try again when I have some time.

I was working on the same thing last month and I got the rom to boot but was getting force-closes and other messiness.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ozmodiar posted:

I know you posted this like a week ago, but I haven't gotten to the thread in a while and this reminded me...

Is there any reason I need to update my EVO from 6.1.1 to 6.1.2? From what I can tell the only different is newer hardware support, but I wanted to confirm this before I completely forgot to ask.
Yeah, exactly the same except for the new hardware support AFAIK.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Casao posted:

You generally need a custom kernel to support tethering. What rom are you running?

I've not flashed a ROM - only rooted it. I take it that's my problem, then! I thought it would be pretty simple - root, then install. Should have done some homework first. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction

Dayne posted:

1) if you downloaded the Wireless Tether app from the market, I believe its several versions behind what's available. Google should point you to the page with the newest version.

2) I'm pretty sure the tether app requires BusyBox to run. Every root method I've used installed it along with the root but I'm not familiar with rooting on the Hero.

I've got the most up-to-date one from Google Code. I don't think I have Busybox, so when I've sorted out a ROM, I'll look into that next. Thanks!

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Nice. I just flashed it, pretty sure 4G is working. Just really really weird getting internet speeds with no icon up top!

Edit: I take it beyond the icon the only other "bug" just seems to be it takes a while to turn WiMax off and on? And the SwitchPro 4G widget doesn't seem to work. Oh well.

The widget is working fine for me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
In a completely unexpected turn of events yesterday, my wife decided that the EVO Shift was the phone for her to use her upgrade on. She likes the smaller size and loves the hardware keyboard.

It looks like there is a temporary root available, but no permanent root yet. Am I right in understanding that temporary root isn't enough to remove the Sprint apps that are cluttering her app drawer? I don't think she specifically cares if they are installed, she just doesn't want to see them. I know people have talked about hiding apps before, but I'm not sure what that takes, either.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

brc64 posted:

In a completely unexpected turn of events yesterday, my wife decided that the EVO Shift was the phone for her to use her upgrade on. She likes the smaller size and loves the hardware keyboard.

It looks like there is a temporary root available, but no permanent root yet. Am I right in understanding that temporary root isn't enough to remove the Sprint apps that are cluttering her app drawer? I don't think she specifically cares if they are installed, she just doesn't want to see them. I know people have talked about hiding apps before, but I'm not sure what that takes, either.

Launcher Pro, a third party launcher program gives you that option. But you'll lose access to all the Sense stuff that I'm assuming is on the Shift.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dayne posted:

Launcher Pro, a third party launcher program gives you that option. But you'll lose access to all the Sense stuff that I'm assuming is on the Shift.

You just lose the sense launcher, the sense customized apps (like contacts and calendar) are still unfortunately there. LP is a pretty good solution for his wife though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Question about the new Amon_RA Recovery for an EVO. Is it safe to use with a 0004 build EVO? When I was rooting this thing I remember there being a disclaimer saying "ONLY USE AMON_RA 1.8.0. DON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE, AND DON'T USE CLOCKWORK". I'm alright with 1.8.0 but if I could update it and be safe I rather do that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone know how to restore the stock recovery on the Desire Z? I tried extracting recovery.img from the stock HTC sense rom and using flash_image but that failed to work.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Official CM7 nightlies are now available for officially supported phones.

Tempted to give it a go, but I like MIUI so.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Very tempting, but I think I'll wait for the first RC. Always had great luck with those.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

Very tempting, but I think I'll wait for the first RC. Always had great luck with those.

I'll let you know how it performs over the next few days. Every previous GB ROM I've run has poo poo its pants after 24 hours. I flashed this new CM nightly about 3 hours ago and so far no quirks but the next day will be very telling.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

Casao posted:

Just did a ROM backup and am fishing around for an EVO build right now. I want gingerbreaaaadddddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'll let you know how it performs over the next few days. Every previous GB ROM I've run has poo poo its pants after 24 hours. I flashed this new CM nightly about 3 hours ago and so far no quirks but the next day will be very telling.

Just out of curiosity, what did form did this pants-making GBS threads take? Horrible laggy performance? Constant FCs? Bootloops?