Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Hello AI, thought I'd drop in and ask something.

I'm thinking about getting a new GTI in a few months. What's the general consensus on the Mk6? Anyone have one/have problems with one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

teh jhey posted:

When I get a part replaced by a dealer under warranty, does that part have a warranty of its own?

i.e.: I had my flapper motor replaced at 15,000 miles. If that breaks again and the rest of the car is out of warranty, am I hosed?

Even out of warranty replacements are warrantied as per my understanding. When I got the intake manifold replaced, the dealership told me it's warrantied for another 15k or 12 months at any dealership.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Yeah it's got the 36k warranty. Doing some basic internet research it looks like the TSI flappers are dP driven rather than with a motor as are the FSI's. Which is a shame because replacing the motor seems like something even I could do. So is there any detrimental effects to driving the car like this besides my mpg drop? If not I'd have to see how long I'd have to drive in order for the cost of the repair to equal the cost of fuel spent.

Also would banging the engine block with a pipe wrench a little bit help it? :I

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

smax posted:

Hello AI, thought I'd drop in and ask something.

I'm thinking about getting a new GTI in a few months. What's the general consensus on the Mk6? Anyone have one/have problems with one?

Mine had/has a lot of rattles, trim issues, and electrical problems but for some people it's not that bad apparently. Another guy here also had some pretty bad rattles. Fun car, wouldn't buy again - build quality is just poo poo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Autism Sundae posted:

Owning a VW out of warranty doesn't seem like the best idea..

It all depends on the car. Remember, most VWs are made in Mexico. My 95 jetta was a serious hunk of rear end, but then again I beat on it for 5-6 years before selling it back to a Mexican where it returned to the motherland. My 04.5 GLI has only had 1 problem, the waterpump poo poo itself at 38k, covered under warranty. They really are just a mixed bag, I've often wondered if it is possible to look up the date the car actually rolled off the line. Wednesday cars are supposed to be better than Monday and Friday cars.

Also, as far as rattles go, mine was perfectly quiet until I had some fuckhead break into it and had to have the door panel pulled off for a new window, now it rattles, along with the big rear end dent in the aluminum from the retard who replaced the window dropping the door panel.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Edit: Wrong thread.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

veedubfreak posted:

It all depends on the car. Remember, most VWs are made in Mexico. My 95 jetta was a serious hunk of rear end, but then again I beat on it for 5-6 years before selling it back to a Mexican where it returned to the motherland. My 04.5 GLI has only had 1 problem, the waterpump poo poo itself at 38k, covered under warranty. They really are just a mixed bag, I've often wondered if it is possible to look up the date the car actually rolled off the line. Wednesday cars are supposed to be better than Monday and Friday cars.

Also, as far as rattles go, mine was perfectly quiet until I had some fuckhead break into it and had to have the door panel pulled off for a new window, now it rattles, along with the big rear end dent in the aluminum from the retard who replaced the window dropping the door panel.

GTIs are made in Wolfsburg as far as I know. I believe the GLIs are as well.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Despite me posting about my car running like poo poo a few days ago I have to say that it has been as reliable as anyone could expect. It's an '04 Jetta 1.8T, I have put 72,000km on it in the last 2 1/2 years, all that has gone wrong is 2 coil packs, the flexpipe on the downpipe (I live in Montreal and the car is basically dipped in salt for 4 months a year) and a wheel bearing. I can deal with that for almost twice around the world.

I also have to appreciate that the shittiest part of the car, the coilpacks, are impossibly easy to replace. My 6 year old niece could do it.

Auu
Sep 22, 2004
I have a small electrical gremlin with an '02 Golf TDI (shocking, I know!) - occasionally (usually around when the car starts up) the drivers side non-highbeam headlight will turn off, the left blinker turn signal indicator will turn on (solid) and the left blinker itself will not work. Everything else is fine, and it "works" in so much as the blinker will function again if I turn the headlights off. It'll usually fix itself in 10 minutes or so.

Any ideas where to start? Wiring, switches, etc?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mister Duck posted:

The new GLIs might be, but mine is still mexican.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Question about the 2.7T -- did the later models (`2004) have any issues with the turbos eating poo poo like the earlier ones did? I'm looking at an '04 S-Line A6 with 92k miles and timing belt done at 75k. Car checks out, but My dad had an '00 S4 and I had an '01 allroad and I always worried about those loving turbos buried up in there.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Auu posted:

I have a small electrical gremlin with an '02 Golf TDI (shocking, I know!) - occasionally (usually around when the car starts up) the drivers side non-highbeam headlight will turn off, the left blinker turn signal indicator will turn on (solid) and the left blinker itself will not work. Everything else is fine, and it "works" in so much as the blinker will function again if I turn the headlights off. It'll usually fix itself in 10 minutes or so.

Any ideas where to start? Wiring, switches, etc?

step 1: check for coolant migration

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin
I have a 2010 GTI, I love it so far, no serious issues yet *fingers crossed*, and no major rattles either. Slight wind noise from the drivers side that VW claims doesn't exist, only really audible going 80 and even then not a big deal at all. Common on 3 door models according to other VW forums. All that said, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable owning out of warranty unless I had major coin to drop fixing it.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Mister Duck posted:

My '01 GTI was made in Brazil.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

wav3form posted:

My '01 GTI was made in Brazil.

I guess that was only MKVs then.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Antigen v2.0 posted:

I have a 2010 GTI, I love it so far, no serious issues yet *fingers crossed*, and no major rattles either. Slight wind noise from the drivers side that VW claims doesn't exist, only really audible going 80 and even then not a big deal at all. Common on 3 door models according to other VW forums. All that said, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable owning out of warranty unless I had major coin to drop fixing it.

That wind noise is a bitch, and it really only troubles people with really good hearing. My 2007 GTI didn't do it, but when I traded it in for my 2009 Rabbit that car had it.

Basically wind passes in and around the side mirrors causing a whistle. VW installed a felt-like material in the pivot area that is supposed to block wind from going through the hinge. Some trial and error would probably localize the noise if it was constant.

I might start with some blue painters tape, and carefully tape the majority of the gap, but stay back 1cm or so from the edge. If the noise goes away, either the felt sticker isnt in the right spot, or it isnt thick enough. If the noise stays, it is probably wind passing over the shell of the mirror. For that I am not sure of any easy fix, because it might include lightly sanding any injection mold rough edges.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Mister Duck posted:

I guess that was only MKVs then.

Ah ok... I know if the VIN starts with WVW it was made in Germany.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Antigen v2.0 posted:

I've had mine since Thanksgiving 2009 with almost no problems. They fixed the driver door whistle noise after mygsr gave me a TSB code referring to the problem. The only other problems I have had are:
  • one time I started the car and the ECU light came on, then disappeared after I restarted the engine
  • one time I started the car and the fuel gauge sender decided to go on strike so the fuel gauge was on E until I restarted the car

That's it. Other than that, it's been great. No rattles, no complaints about build quality. I think Autism Sundae's right to complain about his car if it has all the problems he says it has, but based on my experiences I do think he probably had some bad luck and got a bit of a lemon.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Yeah I think they worked out the problems for 2011 MY for the most part. Initially there were lots of threads and posts on vwvortex and mk6 forums about the same things my car had: misaligned doors/striker plates causing rattles, windows making ticking noises whenever sun comes out, general rattle issues. I've heard of a few cases of steering control module failure, but the new cars should be shipping with an updated part. I've never heard of anyone's entire sound system failing, so I'm probably an exception.

Right now most of the stuff that was wrong with my car is fixed under warranty. With all that said, I still can't honestly recommend a VW to anyone anymore. Maybe you'll get a great car. Maybe you won't, and then hopefully you have time and patience to deal with its various issues.

Anecdotal evidence, but by now I've drived a ton of different VW rentals (given to me by dealers while my car was being worked on), either almost new or with around 10K miles on them; they all rattled.

oh yeah chutwig, maybe ask the dealer to scan for codes next time you're in for service? It sounds like you have some kind of minor electrical malfunction.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Antigen v2.0 posted:

This is pretty much exactly my experience. I get some wind noise on certain highways when I am doing 80. Otherwise I am really happy with the car. Only had it 5.5k miles, so I can't speak to long term experience yet.
Having a warranty was one of the reasons I got a new car. Once it expires I might sell it and get another one.

Most of my bad luck has been with tires. 18" low profile run-flats + lovely roads = ouch my wallet. But that would happen to any car with cool large wheels.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Do you have Dunlops or Pirellis? I remember seeing a bunch of people on tirerack complaining about Dunlop SPs being too susceptible to bubbling, although I haven't had a problem so far (knock on wood). Dunlops start getting pretty lovely after 10K in my opinion, way more noise and less wet traction.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

Autism Sundae posted:

I remember seeing a bunch of people on tirerack complaining about Dunlop SPs being too susceptible to bubbling

I went through through five Dunlop SPs in two years. Thank god for road hazard insurance. After the second one went, I started switching them out for Falken ZE912s as they bubbled, and stopped having issues completely.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Autism Sundae posted:

oh yeah chutwig, maybe ask the dealer to scan for codes next time you're in for service? It sounds like you have some kind of minor electrical malfunction.

I think the minor electrical malfunction is called "owning a Volkswagen".

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I had a terrible accident, so now I need help.

On the way to work this morning, on my first goddamn turn, I spilled my entire morning coffee into the centre console of my 1998 A4. Fortunately, it's well below freezing, and there is a just piles of coffee slush lumped around the handbrake area. I need to take the whole centre console off, but cannot figure out where to start. How do I clean up this mess? How do I get back my lost morning coffee? :smith:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

mr.belowaverage posted:

I had a terrible accident, so now I need help.

On the way to work this morning, on my first goddamn turn, I spilled my entire morning coffee into the centre console of my 1998 A4. Fortunately, it's well below freezing, and there is a just piles of coffee slush lumped around the handbrake area. I need to take the whole centre console off, but cannot figure out where to start. How do I clean up this mess? How do I get back my lost morning coffee? :smith:

http://tinyurl.com/6zxbdhv

Really, it's not that hard...any combination of Googling "Removing center console" and "1998 Audi A4" gets you what you need.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Did you just jump at the chance to goonsay me, or did you read those results? It seems the internet world thinks the 'centre console' is the centre dash. I need the floor console, especially the rearmost part. I had no luck finding anything usable.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I am looking for an ELM327 OBDII bluetooth scanner to use with the Torque Android app.

Like this :http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIA...howViewpoints=1

The problem is, I'm in Canada and goddamn Amazon doesn't ship them here. Anyone know where I could get one?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Timmy Cruise posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I am looking for an ELM327 OBDII bluetooth scanner to use with the Torque Android app.

Like this :http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIA...howViewpoints=1

The problem is, I'm in Canada and goddamn Amazon doesn't ship them here. Anyone know where I could get one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42825

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

Do you have Dunlops or Pirellis? I remember seeing a bunch of people on tirerack complaining about Dunlop SPs being too susceptible to bubbling, although I haven't had a problem so far (knock on wood). Dunlops start getting pretty lovely after 10K in my opinion, way more noise and less wet traction.

They are Pirellis, and I don't have any complaints about the performance. I think I just hit a pothole going too fast. I have to take all these different highways to work and they are all ones that trucks travel on.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

chutwig posted:

I think the minor electrical malfunction is called "owning a Volkswagen".

:D True... that's how they found the problem with my steering control module and BT module though (I didn't even know there was anything wrong with the BT module they just said some code came up and it was replaced, whatever).

On topic of owning a VW and electrical malfunctions, noticed a few days ago that my driver side window is making a noise when going down, best way to describe it is like it's hitting a small pebble on its way. Kind of a knock/creak thing. It's noticeable but not loud, and window is going up and down with no issues. The dealer readjusted my mirror control switch the day before that started, is there a possibility of it being related? Like maybe some small part banging against the window now or something.

teh jhey posted:

I went through through five Dunlop SPs in two years. Thank god for road hazard insurance. After the second one went, I started switching them out for Falken ZE912s as they bubbled, and stopped having issues completely.

I'd replace mine with something better if it wasn't so drat expensive, and I have two new tires now anyway so it makes no sense. Pirellis were definitely the better set as far as OE options.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Ordered. Thank you...

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So I find myself the proud new owner of a B8 Audi S4. To say that I am excited is an understatement! Since I'm a first time Audi owner (but a long time admirer), what forums should I frequent and what issues should I be aware of?

One thing right off the bat that is sort of annoying (and I am going to take the car in to the dealership this Thursday to have them take a look at it) is that for FM Stations that also have an HD signal, the MMI system switches back and forth between the FM and HD sources and causes an annoying echo every 10-20 seconds. It doesn't happen for any other audio sources and I can see the signal switch from 89.9 to 89.9 HD every time it echos.

I imagine that this isn't specifically an S4 issue since the MMI system is relatively similar across different cars that have it. Have any other Audi owners experienced this?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

McDeth posted:

So I find myself the proud new owner of a B8 Audi S4. To say that I am excited is an understatement! Since I'm a first time Audi owner (but a long time admirer), what forums should I frequent and what issues should I be aware of?

One thing right off the bat that is sort of annoying (and I am going to take the car in to the dealership this Thursday to have them take a look at it) is that for FM Stations that also have an HD signal, the MMI system switches back and forth between the FM and HD sources and causes an annoying echo every 10-20 seconds. It doesn't happen for any other audio sources and I can see the signal switch from 89.9 to 89.9 HD every time it echos.

I imagine that this isn't specifically an S4 issue since the MMI system is relatively similar across different cars that have it. Have any other Audi owners experienced this?

:hfive: Congrats! I've got a 2010 S4 and I absolutely love it. The only issue I had with mine was a faulty oil pressure gauge in the Sports Rear Diff that required replacement of the whole assembly, but that's not common at all from what I've read. The major thing that goes wrong is the water pump, but if you have a 2011 you should be all set. I've never noticed any echo on the radio, but I usually listen to Sirius or my ipod so that could be why.

As far as forums to check out, Audizine and Audiworld seem to be the two biggest ones, but there's a lot of overlap between them. I think Audiworld is the larger of the two.

mykel
Aug 27, 2006

Let it bleep.
I'm in the market for a new car. I test drove just about everything under the sun, and currently topping the list is an Audi A3.

I also test drive a fully-loaded 4-door GTI and it was incredible at how much nicer the A3 feels.

I also looked at (and really liked) the Mazdaspeed 3, which is in a different tier, but is also a ton of "bang for your buck."

I'm not a huge car nut, but I do put a priority on an enjoyable driving experience.

My question to you guys is: is the Audi worth the premium, or should I sacrifice a bit of the 'enjoyment' for the much cheaper, but still capable, A3, or GTI?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JHVH-1 posted:

They are Pirellis, and I don't have any complaints about the performance. I think I just hit a pothole going too fast. I have to take all these different highways to work and they are all ones that trucks travel on.

See, my car came with 225/40/18 Goodyear F1s that supposedly had issues with bubbling sidewalls. I never had any issue with sidewalls, but the rears started cupping really bad around 25k and got replaced with General UHPs. Discount wouldn't even mount the 2 F1s I still had last summer because they were "cracked". I think I'm probably the only person who has ever had to replace a Goodyear F1 due to age instead of tread depth. It does help that I only put about 8000 miles a year on the car and half of that is on the snow tires.

schindler.xls
Oct 18, 2010

by mons al-madeen

mykel posted:

I'm in the market for a new car. I test drove just about everything under the sun, and currently topping the list is an Audi A3.

I also test drive a fully-loaded 4-door GTI and it was incredible at how much nicer the A3 feels.

I also looked at (and really liked) the Mazdaspeed 3, which is in a different tier, but is also a ton of "bang for your buck."

I'm not a huge car nut, but I do put a priority on an enjoyable driving experience.

My question to you guys is: is the Audi worth the premium, or should I sacrifice a bit of the 'enjoyment' for the much cheaper, but still capable, A3, or GTI?

Placebo effect of the four rings on the whole GTI vs A3 test drive. Save the difference and spend it on a decent ECU tune + bigger brakes.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

There's an all-new A3 coming out sometime this year (probably summer), so if I were you I'd wait for it to be released and then get a good deal on a current model. As far as driving goes, I don't think there are any substantial differences between an A3 with sport package and a 4 door GTI. I had pretty much the same choices, chose a GTI and probably should have bought an A3.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Autism Sundae posted:

There's an all-new A3 coming out sometime this year (probably summer), so if I were you I'd wait for it to be released and then get a good deal on a current model. As far as driving goes, I don't think there are any substantial differences between an A3 with sport package and a 4 door GTI. I had pretty much the same choices, chose a GTI and probably should have bought an A3.

I actually prefer the looks of the GTI to the A3, but you can only get AWD on the A3, so there is that difference.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Autism Sundae posted:

I don't think there are any substantial differences between an A3 with sport package and a 4 door GTI.

about 150kg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

veedubfreak posted:

I actually prefer the looks of the GTI to the A3, but you can only get AWD on the A3, so there is that difference.

You could get the R32.